Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Rainbow Records - Sound Quality Comparisons?

Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:31 am

Does anyone know whether the Rainbow title: 'Vegas Variety 3' has significantly better sound than the older Import title: 'Return Of The Tiger Man,' which features the same show from the 6th August 1969?

Also how would you rate the sound on another Rainbow title: 'Then Sings My Soul', from Tahoe '76? Is it similar to the sound quality of previous releases from this tour or no better than the sound on Exceeding All Expectations?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Rainbow Records - Sound Quality Comparisons?

Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:35 pm

I compared the first 2 minuttes now,and to me it was the same sound, it said on the booklet that it was reemastered 2010 january. Nice to have more than one "Loong" track as the Tiger mancd was tough. And a wery nice booklet. :)

Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:41 pm

8) Hi Mike...i feel that 'Exceeding all Expectations' was/is a bit better sound + also MORE COMPLETE!
oh and talking about Rainbow Records... their 16th +17th Feb 1977 2 releases are BOTH VERY,VERY GOOD with the 16th Feb one being the better one of the 2 to buy if your on a tight budget and both have excellent 20 page booklets(worth collecting in their own right as a document of the time!~) :smt007

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:01 pm

I think these Rainbow releases are a bit better than the older ones soundwise..
And more complete..just snippets and bits but anyway..
The 69 show was filled up with bits from 12.8.69 ..they were missing on the original August 6th show..
Also Exceeding... is complete with missing parts of intros and PSA taken from a second source..

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:53 am

Thanks noone for taking the trouble to do a comparison on sound quality - I appreciate it!

YDKM wrote:i feel that 'Exceeding all Expectations' was/is a bit better sound + also MORE COMPLETE!

So the sound is better on EAE than on Then Sings My Soul?
Ciscoking wrote:I think these Rainbow releases are a bit better than the older ones soundwise..
And more complete..just snippets and bits but anyway..
The 69 show was filled up with bits from 12.8.69 ..they were missing on the original August 6th show..

That's interesting about the bits missing, I always thought the 6.8.69 show was complete. Do you know which bits were 'flown in' from the other source and is the sound better on the previous release containing the 12.8.69 show? (The reason for my query is that I'm trying to establish which audience recorded '69 show has the best sound).

Also how would you rate the sound on Then Sings My Soul compared to Exceeding?
Last edited by Mike S on Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:56 am

Compare the end of Are You Lonesome Tonight on 6.8.69 and 12.8.69..the end was used from the latter..also bits of dialogue..

I wil compare the 76 shows later..

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:00 am

Thanks for an amazingly quick response Cisco - I appreciate you taking the trouble to help

I also edited my post to explain the reason for my questions regarding the '69 show...but you were too quick!

Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:51 pm

No prob..Mike.. :smt006

Regarding your question about the Tahoe shows..
Then Sings My soul sounds a bit brighter..Exceeding is more dull with some hiss...but the differences aren`t too remarkable..

::rocks

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:54 pm

Ciscoking wrote:No prob..Mike.. :smt006

Regarding your question about the Tahoe shows..
Then Sings My soul sounds a bit brighter..Exceeding is more dull with some hiss...but the differences aren`t too remarkable..

Thanks Cisco....you're the man!

One final question, in your opinion which audience recorded release of a '69 show has the best sound?

Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:28 pm

August 6th, 1969 DS..

Being asked what is left for a possible release I`d say 14.8.69 DS and 25.8.69 MS. A bit skill in sound improvement would make them equal to Vegas Variety..these are the only ones left...There`s also no chance for more audience recorded 1970 Vegas shows..what is left.. isn`t suitable..

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks for the great info Cisco.

You're a real asset to this site....don't you dare retire.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:20 pm

THANK you Mike ..I will do my very best, Sir..!!... :wink: