Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

The King In Queen City (Seattle,april 29,1973) sound sample

Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:35 am

http://rapidshare.com/files/416602719/09_Sz__m_9.wma
Steamroller Blues

http://rapidshare.com/files/416474914/11_-_Track_11.mp3
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me

Just did sound samples to someone and i thought that i will share it with others,too.
For those who still don't have this CD,it's a highly recommended release. The sound is so good that it puts to shame Rick Rennie's Portland recording from the same tour. Without doubt it's far the best sounding 1973 tour-show. The 12-page booklet is simple,but nice.

Last edited by Gabriel on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: The King In Queen City (Seattle,april 29,1973) sound sa

Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:06 pm

Gabriel wrote:For those who still don't have this CD,it's a highly recommended release. The sound is so good that it puts to shame Rick Rennie's Portland recording from the same tour. Without doubt it's far the best sounding 1973 tour-show.

That's interesting to hear Gabriel....thanks for posting your conclusions.

One thing I don't understand though, is how this show was apparently recorded on a reel to reel tape recorder. How was this possible and who was able to record it on this type of equipment? Does it say in the booklet?

I would also be interested to hear everybody else's views on the sound quality....particularly with regard to the Portland release. Anyone?

Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:42 pm

Mike S wrote:One thing I don't understand though, is how this show was apparently recorded on a reel to reel tape recorder. How was this possible and who was able to record it on this type of equipment? Does it say in the booklet?

From the booklet:

The show was taped by JEMS using a Tandberg 11 R2R deck and a Sony ECM-22P michrophone.

The producers of this CD probably don't know other infos about the recording because they just "borrowed" this newly discovered recording from the net.
Quick buck,obviously,but i'm glad that they made available this excellent audience recording to us.

Mike S wrote:I would also be interested to hear everybody else's views on the sound quality....particularly with regard to the Portland release. Anyone?

The sound on the Portland release is a little bit quiet and everything (Elvis and the band) are in the background (Rennie was probably far from the stage). On the Seattle tape everything is more upfornt so you can hear Elvis and the band much better.
Also,it comes directly from the master tape while the Rennie recording was taken from the first generation copy (he lost many of his master tapes).
Both recordings are almost hiss-free. On the Seattle recording there's more distortion,but all in all it's much better in my opinion.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:40 pm

Thanks for a superbly detailed response, Gabriel...much appreciated!

However I have a couple of follow-up questions:

1) Who is or are JEMS?
2) Also you mentioned distortion....how noticeable is this?

Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:26 pm

not bad for an audience recording.....maybe I will listen to the whole thing tonight.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Gabriel wrote:http://rapidshare.com/files/416387186/11_-_Track_11.mp3

Just did a sound sample (YDHTSYLM) to someone and i thought i will share it with others,too.
For those who still don't have this CD,it's a highly recommended release. The sound is so good that it puts to shame Rick Rennie's Portland recording from the same tour. Without doubt it's far the best sounding 1973 tour-show. The 12-page booklet is simple,but nice.

Could'nt download the file. It's expired. :cry: Could you IM me and send the file there. Thanks.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:59 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Could'nt download the file. It's expired. :cry: Could you IM me and send the file there. Thanks.

Here it is: http://rapidshare.com/files/416470189/11_-_Track_11.mp3

Mike S wrote:Thanks for a superbly detailed response, Gabriel...much appreciated

My pleasure.

Mike S wrote:Who is or are JEMS?

This is a group. They recorded and purchased many audience recordings by various artists like Led Zeppelin,Bowie and others.
But i have no idea who they are. Probably fans.
http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=472

Mike S wrote: Also you mentioned distortion....how noticeable is this?

It's quite noticeable,though you have to know that i use a 13 years old CD player so maybe on better players it's not so noticeable.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:28 am

Tandberg = Norwegian...no wonder the recording sounds this great...! But this sounds more like a Vegas recording rather than an on tour recording...the audience sounds a little bit too quiet...donĀ“t you think?

Sincerely MB280E