Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Exceeding All Expectations?

Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:50 pm

This release from Rainbow Records last year was supposedly an upgrade of the May 9th Tahoe show from 1976, (previously issued as: 'And Then The Lights Went Down').

Is there much difference in terms of sound quality or is it more complete? Any views on this would be much appreciated.

Re: Exceeding All Expectations?

Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:13 pm

Polk Salad Annie and School Day were incomplete, the 2001 Theme was missing and some dialogue was edited on And The Lights Went Down (RT: 109:45) ..here all is complete but the 2001 Theme (RT: 117:49)..sound is better on the latter..

Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:19 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Polk Salad Annie and School Day were incomplete, the 2001 Theme was missing and some dialogue was edited on And The Lights Went Down (RT: 109:45) ..here all is complete but the 2001 Theme (RT: 117:49)..sound is better on the latter..

Thanks Cisco....I knew I could rely on you!

You say the sound is better...is the improvement significant or marginal in your opinion?

Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:27 pm

From memory....not significant....I don`t have And The Lights Went Down any more..

Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:31 pm

Ciscoking wrote:From memory....not significant....I don`t have And The Lights Went Down any more..

Ok, thanks for the info...much appreciated!

Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:42 pm

Mike ..at any time.. :smt006

Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:13 am

:lol: I Thoroughly enjoy the latest release 'exceeding all expectations' and am a completist anyway!~ 8)

Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:26 am

I have GOT to listen to this CD. I've had it for months..........

Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:50 am

Hey, Mike. I've never had 'And Then The Lights Went Down', so I bought 'Exceeding All Expectations'. In terms of sound quality it's a pretty decent recording, but I can't compare it to the old bootleg. But the booklet is excellent! It contains some great pictures and really informative essay about Elvis in Tahoe.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:50 pm

KB wrote:Hey, Mike. I've never had 'And Then The Lights Went Down', so I bought 'Exceeding All Expectations'. In terms of sound quality it's a pretty decent recording, but I can't compare it to the old bootleg. But the booklet is excellent! It contains some great pictures and really informative essay about Elvis in Tahoe.

That's good to know, although the photo on the cover is terrible - I bet that's why Rob hasn't listened to it yet. Shame you never had the other title, because I particularly value your opinion on the sound. (I think we've probably got a very similar hi-fi set up).

Thanks once again to everyone for the replies

Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Mike, the sound quality varies for it's taken from more than one source to make it complete.
It's good to have if simply by the fact that it's Elvis longest show ever.
I like the booklet too.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:24 pm

javilu wrote:Mike, the sound quality varies for it's taken from more than one source to make it complete.
I like the booklet too.

Thanks Javilu....from what you and others say I shall have to track this release down.

Congratulations on your reviews btw....perhaps you could write one for this show next?

Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:27 pm

Mike S wrote:
javilu wrote:Mike, the sound quality varies for it's taken from more than one source to make it complete.
I like the booklet too.

Thanks Javilu....from what you and others say I shall have to track this release down.

Congratulations on your reviews btw....perhaps you could write one for this show next?

Sure thing, pal, I might.
And thanks for your congratulations, mean a lot coming from the best!

Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:26 am

It's better quality yes and far more complete. Great booklet, and a very enjoyable show. A very worthy CD!

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:38 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:It's better quality yes and far more complete. Great booklet, and a very enjoyable show. A very worthy CD!

Thanks for your response Andy.

Better quality and far more complete..... it's becoming clear that this is one title I need to get.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Yeah its a good CD Mike! Don't miss it!

Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:11 pm

javilu wrote:
Mike S wrote:
I like the booklet too.

Sure thing, pal, I might.
And thanks for your congratulations, mean a lot coming from the best!

Hey Javilu.....I almost missed that comment...you must have added it afterwards...thanks a lot!

Be assured, I'm already looking forward to your next one.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:17 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Yeah its a good CD Mike! Don't miss it!

Thanks.

I should point out that I have the original release (And Then The Lights Went Down), but just wanted reassurance that this new title was a significant upgrade.

All replies so far have confirmed that to be the case.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:35 pm

I'd say, in a nutshell, the EXCEEDING ALL EXPECTATIONS CD features the same source recording found on AND THEN THE LIGHTS WENT DOWN, but cleaned up, with a little added reverb (which helps) and boost in volume - and the missing bits have been flown in from another slightly lesser source, which itself has been worked on and improved. All in all, a lot of effort has been put into this release in order to replicate the original full concert in as complete form possible.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:28 pm

From what we had and now have the ultimate release of this show..in any case..

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:57 pm

Ciscoking wrote:now have the ultimate release of this show.

Almost!

When i first listened to EAE i was very-very disappointed! Because they didn't always use my favorite source,which is maybe not the best sounding one,but that's my favorite,due to the VERY AUDIBLE fan reactions here and there.

Listen to these fan reactions,especially after 1:57!

http://ciscoking.jordans-elvis-world.co ... cd1/05.ram

These are priceless!
Can you hear such reactions on 1969 and 1970 audience recordings? Never! He was great,but the charisma was not present as much as in 1976.

The truth (that most fans can't or don't want to accept on this forum) is that Elvis was much more popular in 1976/1977 than in 1969/1970!

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:54 pm

Johanesson wrote:
The truth (that most fans can't or don't want to accept on this forum) is that Elvis was much more popular in 1976/1977 than in 1969/1970!

In much the same way that Jesus is much more popular now than he was in his heyday...

Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:29 pm

He was a living legend..the fans would even have screamed if he hadn`t sung a word the whole show..he was there..that was enough..

Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:34 pm

Ciscoking wrote:He was a living legend..the fans would even have screamed if he hadn`t sung a word the whole show..he was there..that was enough..

Who, Jesus or Elvis?

Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:37 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
Johanesson wrote:

In much the same way that Jesus is much more popular now than he was in his heyday...

Does not compute.