Elvis at Expo Center in Indianapolis

(Closed, Archive only)Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes. (Closed, Archive only)

Moderators: Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
EPFAN1972
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Elvis at Expo Center in Indianapolis

Post by EPFAN1972 »

Does anyone have info on the Expo Center in Indianapolis? On a recent trip there we filmed the Fairgrounds Coliseum and the site of where Market Square Arena was. But when we got to the Expo Center it did not look like a place Elvis would have performed compared to others. Time has a way of changing things so it may have been different in the 70's. We went inside and a security guard said "I think he played in that room" The room was fairly large and a very low roof. All the seating would be on the floor. There were no seats going up the sides as in most coliseums. There was another room just like it next to it. It just didn't seem like we were in the right place. It seems it was called the Expo Center then but the Convention center now. Was the Expo center torn down? Is there anyone with knowledge on this topic that can validate if I was in the right place or not? Thank you. I will try to load a picture or two. Thanks!
Last edited by EPFAN1972 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawrence
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Re: Elvis at Expo Center in Indianapolis

Post by Lawrence »

EPFAN1972 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:29 pm wrote:Does anyone have info on the Expo Center in Indianapolis? On a recent trip there we filmed the Fairgrounds Coliseum and the site of where Market Square Arena was. But when we got to the Expo Center it did not look like a place Elvis would have performed compared to others. Time has a way of changing things so it may have been different in the 70's. We went inside and a security guard said "I think he played in that room" The room was fairly large but it had a flat floor and a very low roof. There was another room just like it next to it. It just didn't seem like we were in the right place. It seems it was called the Expo Center then but the Convention center now. Was the Expo center torn down? Is there anyone with knowledge on this topic that can validate if I was in the right place or not? Thank you. I will try to load a picture or two. Thanks!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Convention_Center

Topic author
EPFAN1972
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by EPFAN1972 »

Thanks for that. So I guess we were in the right building. It seemed odd because all the rooms had flat floors. I've been in many of his venues and don't recall any with flat floors. Strange. It would be nice to see some pictures inside the venue when he was there.

Sugarfoot
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by Sugarfoot »

EPFAN1972 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:29 pm wrote:It would be nice to see some pictures inside the venue when he was there.
These photos may give some idea of what it was like back then. It certainly seems like a regular convention center hall with a high stage set up at the other end. Weird.
Sieppaa.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Ciscoking »

Interesting..thank you !

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Robert »

EPFAN1972 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:29 pm wrote:Does anyone have info on the Expo Center in Indianapolis? On a recent trip there we filmed the Fairgrounds Coliseum and the site of where Market Square Arena was. But when we got to the Expo Center it did not look like a place Elvis would have performed compared to others. Time has a way of changing things so it may have been different in the 70's. We went inside and a security guard said "I think he played in that room" The room was fairly large and a very low roof. All the seating would be on the floor. There were no seats going up the sides as in most coliseums. There was another room just like it next to it. It just didn't seem like we were in the right place. It seems it was called the Expo Center then but the Convention center now. Was the Expo center torn down? Is there anyone with knowledge on this topic that can validate if I was in the right place or not? Thank you. I will try to load a picture or two. Thanks!
Wondered this myself and the venue must have been a different one.
I think the turn out was 14.000 each concert, that's a big indoor turn out and impossible to seat on a one level floor only.