Why the audience was seen in Elvis In Concert

(Closed, Archive only)Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes. (Closed, Archive only)

Moderators: Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
harris497
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Why the audience was seen in Elvis In Concert

Post by harris497 »

In Elvis on Tour and other arena shows, Elvis couldn't see the audience but in the CBS special through the whole show you could see everyone! Why?

In TTWIS you can see the audience but was that always like that in Vegas?
Thanks

Harrison

Grangemouth, Scotland

"Tell them I really love their devotion! We gotta come see them! We've been saying it for years but we will"
Elvis talking about people in UK

Tony Trout
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Why the audience was seen in Elvis In Concert

Post by Tony Trout »

harris497 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:30 am wrote:In Elvis on Tour and other arena shows, Elvis couldn't see the audience but in the CBS special through the whole show you could see everyone! Why?

Thanks

With regards to EIC and the houselights being up, CBS was filming a concert documentary and they requested that the house lights be up.

As for Vegas, the lights (run by Lamar Fike, by the way), weren't always "up" (watch the beginning of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" and you'll notice that the lights are completely down except for that one spotlight on Elvis's back). During the segment where Elvis drinks a bit of champagne from that lady's glass, the lights in the showroom are all the way up. And the abbreviation for the movie title is as follows: TTWII.....not TTWIS (unless that was a typo?) If you're referring to the 2001 special edition of TTWII it's abbreviated like this:

TTWII-SE

In "Elvis On Tour", the house lights were always down - he even mentions this to the film's directors when one of them asks if he's ever played off of an isolated incident in the crowd or played/sang to anyone in particular in the crowds during a show: "That's difficult because of the lighting." During the little bit of footage of the April 14, 1972 Greensboro, NC concert, he asks for the house lights to be brought up and left up for a bit so he can see the audience and makes the comment, "It's funny but..I...(...I really can't see you! I can only see, like, the first row here." Then again, and I don't remember where I read it or saw it, but he always requested that the house lights stay down because he suffered from terrible stage fright. That and the fact that he suffered from secondary glaucoma which, in all likelihood had he lived, probably would have put him blind as he got older.

In "Aloha", the lights were up (I'm assuming) so that they could get the best camera angles/positions.

In EIC, I would say that the same answer to the above applies here as well (although, of course, he looked much worse during filming of EIC).

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

harris497 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:30 am wrote:In Elvis on Tour and other arena shows, Elvis couldn't see the audience but in the CBS special through the whole show you could see everyone! Why?

Thanks
The 1977 special was all about the fans.

The 1970 film was all about the show, and a little bit about the fans, and the hotel steaks.

P.S.
What is "TTWIS"?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

drjohncarpenter on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:00 pm wrote:
P.S.
What is "TTWIS"?

He meant to type TTWII but - instead - he typed TTWIS......and I corrected him (if you care to read my post).

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

I always care to read your posts, Tony.

Doc, please read Tony's posts from now on.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Topic author
harris497
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by harris497 »

Hi Tony thanks for your answer and yes I meant TTWII! I liked that you were able to see the audience in EIC as you can see how many people Elvis managed to bring in! When I was a child I thought there was like a million people at the Aloha concert (it was only 5500 and the mirrors at the side made it look more). But watching EOT though it's interesting to see when the camera is almost behind him on stage that you can't see a thing!

Thanks again

Harrison

Grangemouth, Scotland

"Tell them I really love their devotion! We gotta come see them! We've been saying it for years but we will"
Elvis talking about people in UK