Sandi: stage costume logistics

In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
latebloomer
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Sandi: stage costume logistics

Post by latebloomer »

Dear Sandi,

I hope you're still answering questions, because I've just read all the answers you posted here and was delighted by them. How nice to hear from someone who really knew Elvis, but never tries to make more of her connection than it was. You speak of him so warmly, as if your memories are quite green, yet are careful to speak only about what you're sure you remember clearly. He must have been a very special person, and he was lucky to have a fan and friend like you.

Perhaps you can help with something I've wondered about endlessly. How did he manage to appear on stage every night in pristine costumes, when he apparently picked out only three or four for each tour? Who took care of his clothing for him? Did they know every one-hour dry-cleaner in the country, or was the equipment necessary to maintain his costumes, especially the very elaborately-decorated and probably rather delicate jumpsuits, part of the gear that traveled everywhere with the company?

As you've already confirmed, he was such a fastidious guy that I can't imagine his appearing in anything but fresh, clean clothing for each performance, but, even during the first few early years, he always perspired so copiously from his very strenuous performance exertions that his clothing must have been drenched by the time he was back in his dressingroom and able to peel it off.

I've traveled constantly during my lifetime, often with a very limited wardrobe, and thinking about the logistics of maintaining his costumes simply boggles my mind. Can you shed any light on the subject?

Many thanks!

latebloomer

Elvis Presley was an explorer of vast new landscapes of dream and illusion. He was a man who refused to be told that the best of his dreams would not come true, who refused to be defined by anyone else's perceptions. This is the goal of democracy, the journey on which every American hero sets out. That Elvis made so much of the journey on his own is reason enough to remember him with the honor and love we reserve for the bravest among us. Such men made the only maps we can trust.
--- Dave Marsh in Elvis.

Energy Catalyzer
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Re: Sandi: stage costume logistics

Post by Energy Catalyzer »

With all the respect due to her,I do not see why they put her on the stage this way.

She saw jesus or what ?

I think she does not have the truth, and it is not because she has seen a few times EP, she must have answers to everything concerning EP.

Let all these people to their fair value.

Tony Trout
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Sandi: stage costume logistics

Post by Tony Trout »

Energy Catalyzer wrote:With all the respect due to her,I do not see why they put her on the stage this way.

She saw jesus or what ?

I think she does not have the truth, and it is not because she has seen a few times EP, she must have answers to everything concerning EP.

Let all these people to their fair value.

EC: the original poster answered ALL of your questions with their original post. BTW, he also had some multiple versions of the same suit. He had two "Chain" suits and three "Concho" suits.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).