Official Graceland Fan Club? Any info?

In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
tankers2
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Official Graceland Fan Club? Any info?

Post by tankers2 »

I have a question... I read that Gary Pepper wrote an article after Elvis passed away for the "Official Graceland Fan Club"? ... Does anyone have a copy of what Gary wrote for them?
I asked Graceland and they said they never had a fan club called that, so I am wondering what this is and where I can find a copy of what Gary wrote..
Any information would be greatly appreciated! :-)

Pam
~ President of the "Elvis Presley TANKERS (2nd Generation) Fan Club"
** To Honor Gary Pepper... and my Aunt Penny & Aunt June ~ ;-)
...TANKS for the MEMORIES... :-)

SCElvisfan
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Re: Official Graceland Fan Club? Any info?

Post by SCElvisfan »

Yes, there was a "Graceland Fan Club." It was started in the 1970's before Elvis died. The president of the club was Eddie Poole. Eddie had a Graceland fan club convention in July of 1976 in Memphis. Vernon Presley and George Klein attended. Back then, the fan clubs were not as big as they are now. There were only about 200 fans who attended the first convention. Eddie had another convention in June of 1977 in Memphis. The third and final convention was in 1978 and it was held at the Circle G Ranch. Billy Smith attended all three conventions, and Marty Lacker attended two if I remember right. Marty was fantastic. He would stand and talk to you about Elvis' Music and answer any questions you had. He was the only one of Elvis's friends and Memphis Mafia members who actually seemed to have any interest in talking about Elvis' music. I didn't know back then how involved he was in the Memphis music scene. Actually, all these years later, Marty is still the only one of Elvis' group that I've talked to who seems interested in talking about music. He is a very nice and knowledgable person.
Gary Pepper did contribute to the Graceland fan club's monthly newsletter. I think he used some of the stories from his old Tankers fan club. Gary was at the first two conventions. I still have most of the Graceland fan club newsletters. I will look for them and see what it was that Gary wrote about. I don't remember him being at the third convention at the Circle G ranch. Eddie Poole ended the fan club around 1979. I'm not sure why he did. I remember him saying that in 1978 the club had grown to over 3,000 members. Someone told me a few years ago that Eddie had passed away. He was a nice guy, and had a great fan club.

MaryAnn
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Official Graceland Fan Club? Any info?

Post by MaryAnn »

SCElvisfan wrote:Yes, there was a "Graceland Fan Club." It was started in the 1970's before Elvis died. The president of the club was Eddie Poole. Eddie had a Graceland fan club convention in July of 1976 in Memphis. Vernon Presley and George Klein attended. Back then, the fan clubs were not as big as they are now. There were only about 200 fans who attended the first convention. Eddie had another convention in June of 1977 in Memphis. The third and final convention was in 1978 and it was held at the Circle G Ranch. Billy Smith attended all three conventions, and Marty Lacker attended two if I remember right. Marty was fantastic. He would stand and talk to you about Elvis' Music and answer any questions you had. He was the only one of Elvis's friends and Memphis Mafia members who actually seemed to have any interest in talking about Elvis' music. I didn't know back then how involved he was in the Memphis music scene. Actually, all these years later, Marty is still the only one of Elvis' group that I've talked to who seems interested in talking about music. He is a very nice and knowledgable person.
Gary Pepper did contribute to the Graceland fan club's monthly newsletter. I think he used some of the stories from his old Tankers fan club. Gary was at the first two conventions. I still have most of the Graceland fan club newsletters. I will look for them and see what it was that Gary wrote about. I don't remember him being at the third convention at the Circle G ranch. Eddie Poole ended the fan club around 1979. I'm not sure why he did. I remember him saying that in 1978 the club had grown to over 3,000 members. Someone told me a few years ago that Eddie had passed away. He was a nice guy, and had a great fan club.
Thank you for posting this information. May I ask you where at the Circle G the third convention was held? At the house up by the road? In the pink building? Or someplace else?

I have seen photos of a memorial service for Elvis held at the Circle G on the first anniversary of his death and they are very moving. Was the Graceland Fan Club involved with this?