Sandi, Elvis (Jonathan Rhys Meyers )

In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvisa
Registered for: 17 years

Sandi, Elvis (Jonathan Rhys Meyers )

Post by elvisa »

Hi Sandi
I`ve been thinking about this for a while........something about this don`t seems right to me(And to many other fans too.....)

Did you watch "Elvis", The mini series featuring Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Elvis?

Well, first of all,.....from listening to quite a lot concerts, interviews and outtakes, I feel that Elvis was a loving, caring and fun guy(I know he acted a little strange sometimes, but :? ), I really felt that it was NOT Elvis`personality at all that Jonathan Rhys Meyers portraied in this miniseries :?

Second, To me it seems really strange that the miniseries has been promoted by EPE(Including Lisa Marie and Priscilla) and that Jonathan Rhys Meyers got a Golden Globe for "Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television"..........How do you actually feel about all that?

It would be nice to know from somebody who knew him........can you actually recognise Elvis as a person in the way he was portrayed?

Sandi.........Did you ever know Elvis as that cold and NO-smiling figure that he is portrayed as?

(I wish I could express my self a litlle better in English, but I hope you understand my question)

" Elvis music is how feelings sound like "

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Re: Sandi, Elvis (Jonathan Rhys Meyers )

Post by Cryogenic »

This is a great set of questions, elvisa!

At first glance, it appears a bit nebulous (what you're asking), I think, but then the beauty of it emerges.

I think Elvis was, by and large, a lot more upbeat (and certainly charismatic) than these biopics show or imply?

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by Dan_T »

That's a good question,and you make yourself perectly clear.

I'm not Sandi, :D and don't answer for her but,I'd like to quote a couple of people.

I haven't seen that series,just watched clips on Youtube and that was enough for me.

Marty Lacker,of all people,discribed Elvis as "Love" I take that to be that he was a very warm person.

JD Sumner,also discribed Elvis as "Love" at a Mud Island iConcert in Memphis in the '80's..again,I think that's his way of expressing the warmth Elvis showed him and others.

I think it's well known that he had a bad temper,but everybody does pushed to a certain point.

I'd love to hear what,Sandi has to say about your question.

DutchLA
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by DutchLA »

elvisa wrote:Hi Sandi
I`ve been thinking about this for a while........something about this don`t seems right to me(And to many other fans too.....)

Well, first of all,.....from listening to quite a lot concerts, interviews and outtakes, I feel that Elvis was a loving, caring and fun guy(I know he acted a little strange sometimes, but :? ), I really felt that it was NOT Elvis`personality at all that Jonathan Rhys Meyers portraied in this miniseries :?

Second, To me it seems really strange that the miniseries has been promoted by EPE(Including Lisa Marie and Priscilla) and that Jonathan Rhys Meyers got a Golden Globe for "Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television"..........How do you actually feel about all that?

It would be nice to know from somebody who knew him........can you actually recognise Elvis as a person in the way he was portrayed?

Sandi.........Did you ever know Elvis as that cold and NO-smiling figure that he is portrayed as?

(I wish I could express my self a litlle better in English, but I hope you understand my question)
**Let me start by saying I only watched about 10 minutes of that movie and had to turn it off. Let me guess - they portrayed him as moody and depressed and angry, right?

Elvis was "quirky" - that's my word for him - quirky and eccentric and absolutely FUN to be around. Yes he had a temper - a bad one- BUT it took ALOT for him to get worked up enough to blow his top and when he did - run and hide under the nearest piece of furniture! Then again, once he had his vent, it was over!!! He didn't linger on and on about it like some people do.

IF I had to put Elvis ' personality on a percentage scale I'd say he was 90% happy, positive person - a big kid etc. The only thing that really seemed to get him down was his career- he'd get very pensive talking about it at times. Oh, and back to the whole temper thing.... many times he "put on" that he was mad when he wasn't-he was just looking for a reaction and the Century Plaza incident is a good example of that (I think I've already told that story).

ANyway, Elvis as a COLD person? That is about as wrong as a statement can be...he was very much the opposite. Sometimes his humor could be cutting and blunt but usually on target...but cold - no.

Topic author
elvisa
Registered for: 17 years

Post by elvisa »

DutchLA wrote:
elvisa wrote:Hi Sandi

**Let me start by saying I only watched about 10 minutes of that movie and had to turn it off. Let me guess - they portrayed him as moody and depressed and angry, right? Yes.....that`s right
Elvis was "quirky" - that's my word for him - quirky and eccentric and absolutely FUN to be around. Yes he had a temper - a bad one- BUT it took ALOT for him to get worked up enough to blow his top and when he did - run and hide under the nearest piece of furniture! Then again, once he had his vent, it was over!!! He didn't linger on and on about it like some people do.

IF I had to put Elvis ' personality on a percentage scale I'd say he was 90% happy, positive person - a big kid etc. The only thing that really seemed to get him down was his career- he'd get very pensive talking about it at times. Oh, and back to the whole temper thing.... many times he "put on" that he was mad when he wasn't-he was just looking for a reaction and the Century Plaza incident is a good example of that (I think I've already told that story).

ANyway, Elvis as a COLD person? That is about as wrong as a statement can be...he was very much the opposite. Sometimes his humor could be cutting and blunt but usually on target...but cold - no.
Thanks a lot Sandi for your answers.......and all in all, what you write is exately the way I`ve learned to know Elvis through listening and watching, so the mystery how and why Mr. Meyers could get away with what he did..........I`ll never understand that.

" Elvis music is how feelings sound like "

Monique
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by Monique »

Thanks for that question Elvisa and thank you Sandi for answering. I never saw Elvis the way Jonathan portrayed him. Thank God you don't recognize Elvis in Jonathan's acting either.

Always Elvis on my mind

Axeman
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by Axeman »

Myers acred like a spazz in that movie (esp during the musical numbers) and made Elvis out to look like kind of a jerk.

Axe

sharky
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by sharky »

Jonathan Rhys Meyers is convinced Elvis Presley was homosexual - as he is suspicious of his glitzy wardrobe and maternal attachment.

F**K Jonathan Rhys Meyers. What a terrible actor. :twisted:

JamieAKelley
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by JamieAKelley »

Hi, Elvisa - wanted to chime in really quickly, here on a couple questions..
it seems really strange that the miniseries has been promoted by EPE(Including Lisa Marie and Priscilla)
I can't speak for EPE and there are a multitude of reasons for which I can imagine them never saying this, but if I had to purely take a guess, I'd say it boils down to two words.. "contractual obligation".
and that Jonathan Rhys Meyers got a Golden Globe for "Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television"..........
I think this shows that the people who judge the "Golden Globes" know as little about Elvis as the average lamen, which is pretty low. Then again, "Best Performance" doesn't necessarily mean "most true-to-life portrayal", just that they liked his acting (for the story provided) better than the rest... and I have to keep telling myself that..

Sandi, be very glad you only saw the first 10 minutes... still doing Elvis shows at the time, I got asked a lot of questions about Elvis from people who came to shows, and I knew they'd be asking so I forced myself to watch it so I could accurately correct things for people. I spent 3 monts in Atlantic City correcting all the crap that people digested from that show. I've rarely been so mad about anything as I was when that aired.

Sorry for venting, everybody, but the mention of that show will forever tick me off...

Sincerely,
Jamie

(singer/songwriter/performer/self-proclaimed "Elvis geek"/all-around geek)
(geek - yeah, you heard me.)

http://www.jamiekelleymusic.com

New CD - ALL ORIGINAL SONGS! Adult Contemporary/Light Rock/Pop/More
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jamiekelley

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvissessions »

Not a topic I plan to follow, but I'll drop in with a little more info as this necro'd thread caught my eye ...

Todd Morgan spoke to me several times on this subject.

EPE had a deal with the filmmakers to work on the project together ... work on it together doesn't mean it was a co-production, by the way; EPE didn't have final script approval or anything like that ... just that EPE would offer/provide assistance.

Along the way EPE corrected a number of errors that would have made the show even worse, but the producers didn't take all of EPE's suggestions/corrections.

Todd had at least a couple of examples, but I forgot what they were years ago.

Frankly, the show didn't seem worth the brain cells it would take to remember.

Best forgotten, as far as I'm concerned.

billyblues
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by billyblues »

Eric Bischoff usually says "controversy creates cash". That's why they portray Elvis that way and I'm inclined to believe that it would be very difficult to have a movie or mini series featuring a good, humble Elvis. It's Elvis Presley. Do people really want to watch a boring, nice guy Elvis? Nah. Let's have that other character EP and money's in.

Sad, but true.

Thank you, Blue River. Thank you, rjm. Thank you, Ken.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by brian »

billyblues wrote:Eric Bischoff usually says "controversy creates cash". That's why they portray Elvis that way and I'm inclined to believe that it would be very difficult to have a movie or mini series featuring a good, humble Elvis. It's Elvis Presley. Do people really want to watch a boring, nice guy Elvis? Nah. Let's have that other character EP and money's in.

Sad, but true.
It would have been better than that piece of crap miniseries.

You can portray Elvis as a good guy and people would watch it.

The CBS miniseries was just a lazy effort that no one working on it cared about it.

It's was too inaccurate and portrayed Elvis in a bad light.