In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Were any instruments played?

Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:02 pm

Musical instruments, that is. :)

Sandi, I may have already asked you a similar question, or you may have given an answer to someone else, but what was Elvis like on instruments? Did you see him playing any? He played a bass guitar to "Mohair Sam" when The Beatles visited. And, according to Linda Thompson, he thought he was a better on a piano than a guitar. So, did you get to see/hear EP "at play"? And what were your impressions?

Re: Were any instruments played?

Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:35 am

Cryogenic wrote:Musical instruments, that is. :)

Sandi, I may have already asked you a similar question, or you may have given an answer to someone else, but what was Elvis like on instruments? Did you see him playing any? He played a bass guitar to "Mohair Sam" when The Beatles visited. And, according to Linda Thompson, he thought he was a better on a piano than a guitar. So, did you get to see/hear EP "at play"? And what were your impressions?

He played the piano ALOT and seemed to really enjoy it. I only saw him with guitars at rehearsals although there were guitar cases thruout the various homes across the years, I never saw him take one out and use it though. Somewhere in my plethera of shoeboxes I have a photo I took of all the guitar cases lined up in the foyer of the Hillcrest house, under that wacky mural on the wall. Finding it is another story though.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:32 am

Thanks, Sandi! I'd love to see that photo! Sounds like it could be quite arty! It's strange how little he played the piano on his own records or on stage. Maybe it was more of a "private" thing for him. I have become increasingly fascinated by his prowess on the ivories. Have you ever heard any of the home recordings, Sandi? This is short but wonderful:

phpBB [video]

Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:54 am

He played the organ too at Graceland in the early 60s, with Danny Boy reported to be a favourite.

Did you ever hear him do Danny Boy on the piano in LA Sandi?

Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:30 am

FoyerHillcrest.jpg
DutchLA wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:Musical instruments, that is. :)

He played the piano ALOT and seemed to really enjoy it. I only saw him with guitars at rehearsals although there were guitar cases thruout the various homes across the years, I never saw him take one out and use it though. Somewhere in my plethera of shoeboxes I have a photo I took of all the guitar cases lined up in the foyer of the Hillcrest house, under that wacky mural on the wall. Finding it is another story though.

**Oh great, I'm quoting myself! I found one of the photos of the Foyer at the Hillcrest house but not the one I wanted. Anyway, this is where they would plop down their guitars, under the shelf of this Gad awful mural! If I come across the photo that includes the guitars I'll post it but this will give you some idea.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:34 am

TJ wrote:He played the organ too at Graceland in the early 60s, with Danny Boy reported to be a favourite.

Honestly, I can't remember everything he sang because there were so many times, over so many years so I'd hate to say I did hear a particular song because I can't be sure. But hey- I got to play chopsticks with him once on the piano-does that count for anything???

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:32 am

DutchLA wrote:
TJ wrote:He played the organ too at Graceland in the early 60s, with Danny Boy reported to be a favourite.

Honestly, I can't remember everything he sang because there were so many times, over so many years so I'd hate to say I did hear a particular song because I can't be sure. But hey- I got to play chopsticks with him once on the piano-does that count for anything???

Sure does :lol: You were a lucky lady to hang out like that.