In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Sandi: Elvis's sense of Humor

Fri May 29, 2009 5:23 am

Sandi i was wondering if Elvis every did something funny to lift someone was was feeling down in the dumps to get them to laugh or something like that.

Re: Elivs's sense of Humor

Fri May 29, 2009 8:18 pm

mark wrote:Sandi i was wondering if Elvis every did something funny to lift someone was was feeling down in the dumps to get them to laugh or something like that.

He seemed to always be doing something funny - even if it wasn't to pull someone out of a bad or sad mood...he had a quirky sense of humor-sometimes bordering on being a little mean as was the case when one of the regular girls that came to the Palm SPrings house let it slip that she was scared to death of cockroaches. NOT A SMART THING TO DO!!!! A few weeks passed and on her next visit to the house Elvis graciously brought her a cup of coffee (that should have raised suspicions right there) You know what's coming don't you? She finished her cup of coffee and there in the bottom of the cup was a small ceramic cockroach - the cup went flying, she was screaming, and Elvis was laughing his fool head off! NEVER let ELvis know what your weakness or fear was because he'd use it to "get you" sooner or later and he'd always think it was funnier than heck.

On the other hand when Jann's little Pug died - and she used to always tell dumb little stories about his antics - Elvis popped up with a little made-up-on- the- spot song about Squash (The dog's name) and it was hilarious but by the time evening came and it was time for me to write down the day's events - I couldn't for the life of me remember the verses but it did make Jann laugh!

Fri May 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Those are wonderful vignettes, Sandi!

Sat May 30, 2009 3:23 am

Pourlemoment wrote:A ceramic cockroach is actually pretty funny if you think about it :lol:

A real one, now that would have been horrible and mean!

Sylvie

PS: I have two brothers and I really hate bugs of any kind... Want to guess their favourite pastime when we were growing up?

Putting ceramic cockroaches in your coffee? :wink:

Sat May 30, 2009 12:30 pm

A ceramic cockroaches in her coffee? I love that sort of humor. 8)

Thanks for sharing the story Sandi.

Sat May 30, 2009 5:15 pm

I do not drink any alcoholic drinks. Time and time again some friends tried to pressure me into drinking something alcoholic. So I told them that I never drink anything alcoholic because I will hold the glass upside down when there is something alcoholic in it. One day at a housewarming party they asked me what I'd like to drink so as usual I asked for a glass of Coca-Cola.
When I got it handed to me, I smelled there was alcohol in it. So I held the glass upside down. They were angry as they had a nice new carpet ruined. But there were some people who said I had told them earlier I'd hold a glass upside down if there'd be alcohol in it hence they should not have been so funny to put alcohol in the glass against my will.
Anyway, the friendship ended there and then.
I think putting a (ceramic) cockroach in a cup of coffee when you know someone is afraid of cockroaches is silly. If Elvis would have done that to me, he'd no longer be my friend.

Sat May 30, 2009 6:33 pm

I think the "joke" with the alcohol is less harmless than the one with the cockroach.

Sat May 30, 2009 9:35 pm

There's funny jokes and funny jokes. My brother used to phone our mother and ask if she's home. She was always pleased to see him as he hardly ever dropped by. Then he'd ring the doorbel and she'd say "Wait a minute, there's someone at the door".

When I had my own shop, one of my brothers-in-law used to phone frequently and claim to be the tax-inspector. One busy day I get a phonecall saying "Hello, this is the tax-inspector". So I tell him to f*ck off and come up with a better joke. Next day I received a huge taxbill in the mail plus a note that because I refused to talk to the tax-inspector the amount was estimated and a 100% fine added.
Luckily I managed to correct it (isn't it nice if you know the right people?) and I strongly told my brother-in-law never to do such a joke again unless he was willing to pay the tax-bill plus fine.

I don't mind jokes but they have to be funny and not hurt or scare anybody in any way.

Sun May 31, 2009 1:27 pm

Luuk wrote:There's funny jokes and funny jokes. My brother used to phone our mother and ask if she's home. She was always pleased to see him as he hardly ever dropped by. Then he'd ring the doorbel and she'd say "Wait a minute, there's someone at the door".

When I had my own shop, one of my brothers-in-law used to phone frequently and claim to be the tax-inspector. One busy day I get a phonecall saying "Hello, this is the tax-inspector". So I tell him to f*ck off and come up with a better joke. Next day I received a huge taxbill in the mail plus a note that because I refused to talk to the tax-inspector the amount was estimated and a 100% fine added.
Luckily I managed to correct it (isn't it nice if you know the right people?) and I strongly told my brother-in-law never to do such a joke again unless he was willing to pay the tax-bill plus fine.

I don't mind jokes but they have to be funny and not hurt or scare anybody in any way.

Sorry, I have erased my comments.They were blunt and were undoubtedly offensive.

Re: Sandi: Elvis's sense of Humor

Sun May 31, 2009 8:11 pm

Let me clarify something about this prank Elvis pulled. The girl he did it to was a regular at the house- he knew her very well and he knew her sense of humor and knew what she could handle or not handle. She thought it was very funny once the initial shock was over. He knew she would be able to handle it just fine as opposed to some people who would not find it amusing at all - I don't recall him ever doing something to harm anyone. In fact, he once locked Richard Davis in the horse trailer at the Rocca house while they were playing hide n seek, NOT knowing that RIchard did not do well in confined spaces. That trailer started rocking back and forth and Richard was screaming his lungs out and Elvis quickly let him out and apologized (yes he actually apologized, something he was not famous for!!) Poor Richard was in a cold sweat and shaking and it visibly upset Elvis. Elvis also loved to push fully clothed people into the pool but again - he knew who to pick and who to leave alone -- and it was alot of fun to see him get a taste of his own medicine from time to time! Broke the boredom that would sometimes sneak into the weekend.

Sun May 31, 2009 11:50 pm

What a fascinating pair of responses! OK, then, Sandi ...

What's the most obscene and/or extreme prank (you're willing to tell) that Elvis pulled on someone?

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:23 pm

Calm down Luuk! You can't go emptying alcohol on someones carpet!! It was a joke.

I think the cockroach gag was great. Did the trick. The girl obviously screamed and leapt in the air and then quickly realised she'd been "had". Excellent Elvis!

Any more Sandi? :D

Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:53 pm

DutchLA wrote: Elvis also loved to push fully clothed people into the pool but again - he knew who to pick and who to leave alone -- and it was alot of fun to see him get a taste of his own medicine from time to time! Broke the boredom that would sometimes sneak into the weekend.

And now everyone has a cell phone and you can't push them in the pool))) i bet that wouldn't stop Elvis though
I love your stories, Sandi! ::rocks

Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:16 pm

Cryogenic wrote:What a fascinating pair of responses! OK, then, Sandi ...

What's the most obscene and/or extreme prank (you're willing to tell) that Elvis pulled on someone?

**I don't know if you'd call it obscene but I think the worst thing I ever saw him do is steal everyones clothing from their rooms during the night so when they woke up in the morning - there was nothing to wear. He did that to GG Gambill and Richard Davis one weekend. Apparently neither wore anything to sleep in so when they woke up they were basically stuck in their rooms nekkid...although Richard did venture out with a towel on that was waaaay too small as he tried to chase Elvis down thruout the house. To watch it was hysterical although they sure didn't think so!!

Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:42 am

Thanks for the follow-up, Sandi! Another beautiful response. That Elvis! What a scamp!

Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:19 pm

Great story Sandi. Thank you!

Did he ever do such a thing to you?

Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:21 am

Monique wrote:Great story Sandi. Thank you!

Did he ever do such a thing to you?

He didn't torment me too much - the worst thing he did I guess was putting some handcuffs on me and then claiming he'd lost the key which I was dumb enough to believe for about 30 minutes...and he was VERY convincing and as usual, he thought he was pretty darn funny!

Other than that, I got thrown in the pool twice - once it was definately Elvis - the other time - it could have been one of three people cuz I didn't see who did the actual pushing and they all 3 looked guilty frankly! I had on white hip hugger slacks the time Elvis pushed me in, with leopard underwear underneath (I know - too much information!) but you couldn't see that animal print until those slacks got wet. Let me tell you - I got pretty sick of the "how's the Tiger in your Tank?" jokes from Elvis! I finally told him he'd better watch it or I was gonna let the Tiger loose and he'd better run for the hills...or something to that effect. Nothing like having ones underwear be the topic of conversation on way too many occasions!

Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:02 am

SANDI! You foxy little minx!!! :mrgreen:

Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:44 am

Another great story! It brought a big smile to my face. :lol: Did you ever get the chance to push Elvis into the pool? (And what underwear was he wearing? :smt003 )

Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:05 pm

Monique wrote:Another great story! It brought a big smile to my face. :lol: Did you ever get the chance to push Elvis into the pool? (And what underwear was he wearing? :smt003 )

**Oh you bet we did but it took a LONG time because it wasn't fun if he was in his swim trunks so we had to wait until he was fully dressed and didn't have some expensive watch on - this took a year of waiting!!! Then the day came - he was barefoot, no watch, and standing next to the pool talking with one of the girls - PERFECT!!!! SPLAT!! And, since there were 4 of us standing there he never had to know who did it, although the field was narrowed down....yep, that was FUN!!!!

As for underwear; not sure ... he had on blue slacks ... I don't recall underwear lines but then I was paying more attention to his facial expressions so I'd know if I had to run!!

Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:03 pm

Pay back time! That must have been fun! :lol:

Did he take it well? What was his facial expression? Did you have to run or was he simply too much "in shock"?

Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:15 pm

Kinda like when he fell off that diving board in VLV,
....minus the guitar.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:15 pm

Monique wrote:Pay back time! That must have been fun! :lol:

Did he take it well? What was his facial expression? Did you have to run or was he simply too much "in shock"?

**He was fine with it - he could take it as well as dish it out!! The problem with doing stuff to him is he just kept up with his own retaliation so it was a never ending "lets get even" situation!