In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Sandi: your most special Elvis-item

Mon May 18, 2009 10:14 pm

I don't know if you've told us before, but can you tell us what is the most special thing you own that once belonged to Elvis. And please tell us the story behind it.

Re: Sandi: your most special Elvis-item

Tue May 19, 2009 8:11 pm

Monique wrote:I don't know if you've told us before, but can you tell us what is the most special thing you own that once belonged to Elvis. And please tell us the story behind it.

I'd have to say Leaves of Gold for one because he'd been reading out of that book out loud for a couple of months - usually after everyone had gone to bed; he'd then pull it out and start reading from it and then talking about what it meant to him or how he interpreted the phrases.
he had written his name in the book, inside the cover so I'm guessing it was a copy he had intended to keep because it wasn't written as a autograph but more as marking that it was his book.

Second I have one of his turquoise and silver belts that he wore often. Not sure why I got that because it's definately a man's belt but he just handed it over one day saying it would look nice with my outfit (never mind that when I put it on it fell to the floor) Again, tried to give it back because I thought he was being a smart aleck but he said it was mine to keep.

Also have a pair of sweat pants and a short sleeved t-shirt type of top, that were given to me to wear because **someone** (and I won't name names but his initials are EP) pushed me into the pool, clothes and all, and since it was one of those Day Trips to Palm Springs, I had no extra clothes to change into-- I had intended to give those back next time I saw him but there was no next time since this was 1977.

Ok - so that was more than one thing....but they're all special in their own way.

Tue May 19, 2009 10:43 pm

Are there more annotations of Elvis in this book or just his name?

Wed May 20, 2009 10:38 am

Thank for answering my question Sandi.

Where those clothes (a pair of sweat pants and a short sleeved t-shirt type of top) his? I mean, if they fitted Elvis in '77 you probably drowned in them.

Another question along the same line:

Did you ever take something home that wasn't really given to you by Elvis. Like an empty bottle of perfume or an empty box of cigars?

Wed May 20, 2009 8:06 pm

kuenzer wrote:Are there more annotations of Elvis in this book or just his name?

He's got a lot of things underlined and a few comments thruout the book - he did that with alot of his reading material.

Wed May 20, 2009 8:16 pm

Monique wrote:Thank for answering my question Sandi.

Where those clothes (a pair of sweat pants and a short sleeved t-shirt type of top) his? I mean, if they fitted Elvis in '77 you probably drowned in them.

**They were huge on me but they were dry so it beat driving home in dripping wet clothing---I only wore them for the ride home-didn't have to walk around the house wearing them or anything. It was a pretty comical site actually - somethig of Charlie's would have fit me better but I didn't really want mens trousers to wear so the sweats were a good alternative.

Did you ever take something home that wasn't really given to you by Elvis. Like an empty bottle of perfume or an empty box of cigars?

**Oh heavens yes! I was the original dumpster diver. If he threw it in the trash, as far as I was concerned, it became mine. I call all that stuff my trash treasures - cigar butts, chewed gum, old toothbrush, empty cologne bottles, empty prescription bottles, an old bandaid (I know, gross!!) little notes to himself, things like that. Once found a gorgeous ring in the trash (gave that back to him) it had apparently fallen off the bathroom counter into the trash I presume. I've given so much of the stuff away over the years but still have alot left also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 20, 2009 8:30 pm

DutchLA wrote:
kuenzer wrote:Are there more annotations of Elvis in this book or just his name?

He's got a lot of things underlined and a few comments thruout the book - he did that with alot of his reading material.

Are any of these underlines or comments suitable to be shared with us?

Wed May 20, 2009 10:54 pm

DutchLA wrote:
Monique wrote:Thank for answering my question Sandi.

**They were huge on me but they were dry so it beat driving home in dripping wet clothing---I only wore them for the ride home-didn't have to walk around the house wearing them or anything. It was a pretty comical site actually - somethig of Charlie's would have fit me better but I didn't really want mens trousers to wear so the sweats were a good alternative.

**Oh heavens yes! I was the original dumpster diver. If he threw it in the trash, as far as I was concerned, it became mine. I call all that stuff my trash treasures - cigar butts, chewed gum, old toothbrush, empty cologne bottles, empty prescription bottles, an old bandaid (I know, gross!!) little notes to himself, things like that. Once found a gorgeous ring in the trash (gave that back to him) it had apparently fallen off the bathroom counter into the trash I presume. I've given so much of the stuff away over the years but still have alot left also.

So funny that you did that. :lol:

Did Elvis ever find out?

Thu May 21, 2009 5:13 pm

Sandi - how did you explain to Elvis how you found the ring in the trash?

I'd love to have seen the look on his face!

Fri May 22, 2009 6:24 pm

kuenzer wrote:
DutchLA wrote:

Are any of these underlines or comments suitable to be shared with us?

**I need to find where I put the darn book and then I can scan some pages - his comments are short but there's alot of underlining - things he apaprently thought were important. I'll look for it this weekend!

Fri May 22, 2009 6:30 pm

So funny that you did that. :lol:

Did Elvis ever find out?[/quote]

**He knew both Jann and I were nuts in that regard. We didn't really try to hide it most of the time and I had told him that I sent alot of the stuff to pen pals I had at the time. I messed up one time and jumped the gun - he had put his cigar in the ashtray and left to go out into the backyard so I figured he was done with it and I took it and put it in my purse. He came back into the room a short while later and asked where his darn cigar was .... it was actually pretty funny but I always wondered why he put up with so much nonsense from both of us!

Fri May 22, 2009 6:38 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Sandi - how did you explain to Elvis how you found the ring in the trash?

I'd love to have seen the look on his face!

I just told him I'd found it in the trash - he said - Holy SH_t! The maids didn't always go down to the Palm Springs homes so emptying the trash was done by whoever wanted to do it. On that occasion one of the guys had just gone around and collected all the little cans from the bathrooms and they were lined up in the maids quarters off the kitchen so they could be emptied into a large trash bag....I recognized the one container as being the one from his room so of course I looked ;)

Fri May 22, 2009 6:54 pm

Elvis' ring.jpg
Photo of ring before it was returned:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri May 22, 2009 10:30 pm

DutchLA wrote:**I need to find where I put the darn book and then I can scan some pages - his comments are short but there's alot of underlining - things he apaprently thought were important. I'll look for it this weekend!

That would be great!

Sat May 23, 2009 1:34 am

DutchLA wrote:**I need to find where I put the darn book and then I can scan some pages - his comments are short but there's alot of underlining - things he apaprently thought were important. I'll look for it this weekend!

I can hardly wait, Sandi!! I love this book and would love to know Elvis' comments on certain passages!

Sat May 23, 2009 1:34 am

DutchLA wrote:
Elvis' ring.jpg

Beautiful ring, do you know the stone?

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:00 am

minni1 wrote:

I can hardly wait, Sandi!! I love this book and would love to know Elvis' comments on certain passages!

Sandi - if you can find it, just to let you know we'd still be interested to see it.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:35 pm

minni1 wrote:
DutchLA wrote:
Elvis' ring.jpg

Beautiful ring, do you know the stone?

That looks like a star sapphire to me. Elvis had alot of rings with these stones.
Hope that helps :)

Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:28 pm

kuenzer wrote:
minni1 wrote:

Sandi - if you can find it, just to let you know we'd still be interested to see it.

*I haven't forgotten to look for the book but in looking in all my usual hiding places I've come to the conclusion that it's probably in a huge airtight bin in my garage which I can't access right now because my son has all his belongings etc. in front of where those bins are stacked. He will be moving into his own place soon and then I'll be able to get to it - but I won't forget!