In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

that bleepin' bootleg book

Tue May 19, 2009 2:45 am

criminy, it's been two months since i said i had to do sme rewriting. i have found that it is easy to write a book; difficult to write a good one.

i get hammered every week in my advanced writing seminar for being too descriptive, not enough dialogue, which will facilitate the flow and make for a better read.

i agree. right now there are too many passages/sections that only have appeal to diehard elvis fans. so i must amend that. we do want this to make brutal city, utah's top ten list (they only have one bookstore, very small, and it only carries ten books at a time) so i must rewrite and rewrite.

i have over 250 pages and that will be trimmed considerably.

for example, i will give you this brief excerpt. amusing as it is, it will be even more so when the information is transmitted via conversations twixt paul and myself. such as, "hey paul, i think we've got them here." we sure do, old buddy, keep on sending, not one has made it yet." "how many are there so far?" "twenty-three or twenty-four, something like that. and they're all free! i love it."

in its present form the episode reads like this:

I sent Paul a few copies of the album Express Mail. I had done this before, and there were two options: Delivery was guaranteed by ten the next morning if the item was sent Post Office to Post Office; delivery was guaranteed by three the next afternoon if the item was sent to an address. The Post Office was so proud of their new offer, putting them in a position to compete with FedEx and UPS, they offered a money–back guarantee if delivery was not made on time. Paul had things to do that next day, including an early morning stop at the Post Office. Thus, I opted for the morning delivery; it didn’t get there on time. Great, we’d get our money back. I had a thought: could they actually get anything to the Ruxton, MD Post Office by ten the next morning? Express mail was accepted until five in the afternoon. That was eight at night on the east coast. The Post Office had fourteen hours to get my package from Glendale to LAX, get it on a plane to Dulles in Washington, D.C., the nearest airport to Ruxton, and then get it unloaded, sorted out, and delivered to Ruxton. I doubted it and decided to find out. I sent Paul a box of fifty records, Post Office to Post Office, that weighed in at thirty pounds. The Express Mail charge was almost forty-seven dollars. Paul went to pick it up the next morning; it didn’t arrive until after noon. Over the next month I sent Paul almost 100 boxes of albums via Express Mail. Not a single one arrived on time.
Paul dutifully saved the receipts. I took them all, the time delivered officially noted by the Ruxton P.O., over to Glendale’s main branch. I didn’t want any heart failure at my local outlet. You would have thought the money was coming out of the clerk’s pocket. He sputtered, fumed, muttered, spit, and turned fire–engine red. He tried to tell me I couldn’t get a refund for all these packages. Nice try. They guaranteed delivery; nothing was specified about not honoring the guarantee for more than one delivery. Each one was a completely separate incident; each one was a failure they had to make good on. It took almost three hours before I walked out of the Post Office with a check for over $4,600. Oh yeah, they no longer guaranteed Express Mail delivery from Glendale to Ruxton after that.

this will be funnier with paul and i chortling over things as it actually happens. and we did. so, lots of work to do yet. i want you all to not just get the information, but be entertained. right now there are many parts as entertaining as the recording sessions book. you'd be sitting on your porch this fall, reading away, and find yourself distracted by watching the leaves change color as it stands now. give me time, i'll get it right.

i may have a couple "ins" regarding publishing. one thanks to paul, the other via a fellow in my seminar. we shall see.

enjoy the summer. i remember when i was 16, a 98-pound weakling, and took my girl to the beach, spread out the blanket, and lay down. a 240-pound bully kicked sand in my face. i vowed that would never happen again. i outfitted the basement like a world class gym. i worked out every day. i ate health foods. the following summer i emerged from that basement 240 pounds of solid rock! i took my girl to the beach, spread out the blanket, and lay down. a 480-pound bully kicked sand in my face.

Re: that bleepin' bootleg book

Tue May 19, 2009 2:52 am

YAWN!

Vic, I think you stepped on the wrong train here. This is an Elvis Presley messageboard, in case you didn’t notice. Good luck with your incredibly boring and unoriginal book, though.

Tue May 19, 2009 2:59 am

Ken Jensen wrote:YAWN!

Vic, I think you stepped on the wrong train here. This is an Elvis Presley messageboard, in case you didn’t notice. Good luck with your incredibly boring and unoriginal book, though.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about here.

Tue May 19, 2009 3:05 am

viccolonna@gmail.com wrote:criminy, it's been two months since i said i had to do sme rewriting. i have found that it is easy to write a book; difficult to write a good one.

i get hammered every week in my advanced writing seminar for being too descriptive, not enough dialogue, which will facilitate the flow and make for a better read.

i agree. right now there are too many passages/sections that only have appeal to diehard elvis fans. so i must amend that. we do want this to make brutal city, utah's top ten list (they only have one bookstore, very small, and it only carries ten books at a time) so i must rewrite and rewrite.

i have over 250 pages and that will be trimmed considerably.

for example, i will give you this brief excerpt. amusing as it is, it will be even more so when the information is transmitted via conversations twixt paul and myself. such as, "hey paul, i think we've got them here." we sure do, old buddy, keep on sending, not one has made it yet." "how many are there so far?" "twenty-three or twenty-four, something like that. and they're all free! i love it."

in its present form the episode reads like this:

I sent Paul a few copies of the album Express Mail. I had done this before, and there were two options: Delivery was guaranteed by ten the next morning if the item was sent Post Office to Post Office; delivery was guaranteed by three the next afternoon if the item was sent to an address. The Post Office was so proud of their new offer, putting them in a position to compete with FedEx and UPS, they offered a money–back guarantee if delivery was not made on time. Paul had things to do that next day, including an early morning stop at the Post Office. Thus, I opted for the morning delivery; it didn’t get there on time. Great, we’d get our money back. I had a thought: could they actually get anything to the Ruxton, MD Post Office by ten the next morning? Express mail was accepted until five in the afternoon. That was eight at night on the east coast. The Post Office had fourteen hours to get my package from Glendale to LAX, get it on a plane to Dulles in Washington, D.C., the nearest airport to Ruxton, and then get it unloaded, sorted out, and delivered to Ruxton. I doubted it and decided to find out. I sent Paul a box of fifty records, Post Office to Post Office, that weighed in at thirty pounds. The Express Mail charge was almost forty-seven dollars. Paul went to pick it up the next morning; it didn’t arrive until after noon. Over the next month I sent Paul almost 100 boxes of albums via Express Mail. Not a single one arrived on time.
Paul dutifully saved the receipts. I took them all, the time delivered officially noted by the Ruxton P.O., over to Glendale’s main branch. I didn’t want any heart failure at my local outlet. You would have thought the money was coming out of the clerk’s pocket. He sputtered, fumed, muttered, spit, and turned fire–engine red. He tried to tell me I couldn’t get a refund for all these packages. Nice try. They guaranteed delivery; nothing was specified about not honoring the guarantee for more than one delivery. Each one was a completely separate incident; each one was a failure they had to make good on. It took almost three hours before I walked out of the Post Office with a check for over $4,600. Oh yeah, they no longer guaranteed Express Mail delivery from Glendale to Ruxton after that.

this will be funnier with paul and i chortling over things as it actually happens. and we did. so, lots of work to do yet. i want you all to not just get the information, but be entertained. right now there are many parts as entertaining as the recording sessions book. you'd be sitting on your porch this fall, reading away, and find yourself distracted by watching the leaves change color as it stands now. give me time, i'll get it right.

i may have a couple "ins" regarding publishing. one thanks to paul, the other via a fellow in my seminar. we shall see.

enjoy the summer. i remember when i was 16, a 98-pound weakling, and took my girl to the beach, spread out the blanket, and lay down. a 240-pound bully kicked sand in my face. i vowed that would never happen again. i outfitted the basement like a world class gym. i worked out every day. i ate health foods. the following summer i emerged from that basement 240 pounds of solid rock! i took my girl to the beach, spread out the blanket, and lay down. a 480-pound bully kicked sand in my face.

Ha!

You just can't resist can you???

woof!

Tue May 19, 2009 3:24 am

We are rooting for you, Vic!

Tue May 19, 2009 4:48 am

YAWN!

Ignore the boring and unoriginal post from k.

Keep up the hard work Vic!

I wish you the best in advancing your writing and presenting the Elvis community and the community at large with an excellent account of your experiences.

Tue May 19, 2009 4:54 am

Ken Jensen wrote:YAWN!

Vic is witty and has an interesting story to tell, which is indeed Elvis-related. You should work on your manners.

Tue May 19, 2009 10:33 am

Matthew and TJ, if the above is an excerpt from the book, I shall gladly pass on it. That bully story at the end is totally unoriginal. I’ve read that sort of thing in books by the likes of Dr. John F. Demartini and Paulo Coelho—and tons of other writers. That sort of story is nothing but an uncreative, unimaginative cliché. Hence, it’s boring.

And no, I don’t see the Elvis relevance at all. However, most of you seem to look forward to this book for some reason, and that is great news for Vic.

Tue May 19, 2009 10:53 am

To Ken Jensen

I am truly not talking for Vic (Sam) - he can do that on his own.

Before you put him down again, please remember, buddy - he and some of his friends did us hardcore Elvis fans and collectors an awful lot of damn good things at the end of the Seventies.
Remember all these cool Audifön, Amiga or Golden Archive releases. Well these and a couple of great ones, such as "Pittsburgh" or "Legend Lives On", etc. were done by these guys.
We got sensational quality outtakes, live songs and all done with love and care. Great covers, great artwork. I remember running to my little record dealer and getting that stuff, just to go home and listen to it a dozen times in a row.
In a way these guys were the "mother" of FTD.

Well, Vic, Paul, Ace, Richard and who ever was with you; thanks for what you have done and even more thanks, Vic, to share these fantastic days with us, the fans and collectors. So we could eventually finally read and realize how you were able to come up with unreleased Elvis stuff and as interesting, how to put it together and sell it, sometimes in the Thousands.

I will get your book as soon as it will be released.
Thumbs up from me.
Keep on rockin'

All the best from T-R-O-U-B-L-E :D

PS to Ken Jensen
I loved this little story about the 98 pound guy. That's life.

Tue May 19, 2009 11:03 am

T-R-O-U-B-L-E wrote:To Ken Jensen

I am truly not talking for Vic (Sam) - he can do that on his own.

Before you put him down again, please remember, buddy - he and some of his friends did us hardcore Elvis fans and collectors an awful lot of damn good things at the end of the Seventies.
Remember all these cool Audifön, Amiga or Golden Archive releases. Well these and a couple of great ones, such as "Pittsburgh" or "Legend Lives On", etc. were done by these guys.
We got sensational quality outtakes, live songs and all done with love and care. Great covers, great artwork. I remember running to my little record dealer and getting that stuff, just to go home and listen to it a dozen times in a row.
In a way these guys were the "mother" of FTD.

Well, Vic, Paul, Ace, Richard and who ever was with you; thanks for what you have done and even more thanks, Vic, to share these fantastic days with us, the fans and collectors. So we could eventually finally read and realize how you were able to come up with unreleased Elvis stuff and as interesting, how to put it together and sell it, sometimes in the Thousands.

I will get your book as soon as it will be released.
Thumbs up from me.
Keep on rockin'

All the best from T-R-O-U-B-L-E :D

PS to Ken Jensen
I loved this little story about the 98 pound guy. That's life.

Nice post T-R-O-U-B-L-E. I've seen what's going in the Book, and I can tell you, you're gonna love it.

Tue May 19, 2009 11:07 am

Ken Jensen wrote:And no, I don’t see the Elvis relevance at all. However, most of you seem to look forward to this book for some reason, and that is great news for Vic.

This should help you out: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32899

Next!

Tue May 19, 2009 11:14 am

That express mail story is very good, by the way. I loved that one. My main problem with the above, everything except that story, is the sloppy English. No capital letters, i instead of I, and so on. That is plain horrible and creates a very bad impression, hence my reaction. In fact, I didn’t read everything in that post until now. I never read ill-crafted posts. I have no patience for that kind of sloppy rubbish.

So, Vic, pay attention to your grammar the next time you post here, and I will be very kind to you.

Tue May 19, 2009 11:14 am

Thanks Little Darlin'
I know I will love that book.
I did love their boots first place and I always love to know the story behind interesting happenings in the Elvis world.
Have a nice day.

To Ken Jensen again.
First you put down VIcs work and now you come up, putting his grammar in his post down? Strange, eyh?
I think grammar will be correct and fine in the book. This was just a post from him to say, hey I am on my way with the book, but I want it to be great. I want to make you feel good, when you purchase and read it.
That's my guess, was his purpose of coming here and posting.

Tue May 19, 2009 11:23 am

Thanks for the info, T-R-O-U-B-L-E and Matthew. Maybe it will be a great project after all, providing there is a competent proofreader on the case. As I said, I didn’t like the bully story at all, because it’s totally unoriginal and so common it’s lame. It’s like a joke that’s been told too often. The other story was great, though, no doubt about that. It’s the sort of thing I like to read about.

So, Vic, I’m sorry if I was harsh with you, but your language provoked me big time. I just can’t stand that sort of thing, sends me straight off the edge.

Tue May 19, 2009 11:37 am

Damnit Ken, you need to calm down!

What has that little joke got to do with the book anyway?

I for one think this will be an important AND entertaining addition to the great Elvis story.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Tue May 19, 2009 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 19, 2009 11:38 am

Thanks for that Ken. There is absolutely no need to be sent straight off the edge.
I think we all should wait until Vic's book will be finally released.
Considering the quality he and his fellows gave us with their boots, my guess is, that we will get quality again.

And to Vic, if you read this post, please do include a "bonus CD" of Elvis singing with the Golden Gate Quartet in Paris. Oh how I would love to hear that. Ok, I am only kidding. I know that you decided for material from Elvis rehearsals for his Vegas comeback in 1969 :lol:

Tue May 19, 2009 12:00 pm

Why can’t we have both? :lol:

Tue May 19, 2009 12:25 pm

Well Ken, ask Vic. Maybe he loves the way Elvis rehearsed "Judy" in 1969. :D

(To all members reading this - it's just joking between Ken and me. To my knowledge, Vic will not include a CD with his book). :cry:

Tue May 19, 2009 12:34 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:Thanks for the info, T-R-O-U-B-L-E and Matthew. Maybe it will be a great project after all, providing there is a competent proofreader on the case. As I said, I didn’t like the bully story at all, because it’s totally unoriginal and so common it’s lame. It’s like a joke that’s been told too often. The other story was great, though, no doubt about that. It’s the sort of thing I like to read about.

So, Vic, I’m sorry if I was harsh with you, but your language provoked me big time. I just can’t stand that sort of thing, sends me straight off the edge.

Have you been drinking man? :lol: The beach story was a joke at the end of the post. Nothing to do with the book.

As for the grammar, the guy isn't offering us a manuscript. It's a bloody forum post.

And if you didn't read anything in the post until now, due to the grammar offending your sensibilities, you sure managed to make your mind up about the contents.

Tue May 19, 2009 12:47 pm

He created a poor impression, and someone should teach him a thing or two about public relations. If he writes like this in a public messageboard post, how does he write in the book? Language says a lot about your character. He gives the impression of a singer who can’t carry a tune but has to rely on some kind of vocal machine to pull it off. Sure, the end result may be good, but it’s fake. His language here is comparable to that. As I said, he does not create a healthy impression rambling on like that, with no consideration for the finer elements of the art of writing.

Tue May 19, 2009 12:50 pm

If you cannot trust the language, you cannot trust the writer. If you cannot trust the writer, you cannot trust his work. It’s as easy as that.

Tue May 19, 2009 1:00 pm

The good thing is that nobody, not even Vic, is holding a gun to anyone's head to buy the book.
I for one will buy a copy when the book becomes available. I'd love to read all the inside stories about the bootlegs. After all, the bootlegs are a large part of Elvis' musical history and helped to keep the legend alive when all we got from RCA-Victor were "Greatest hits" and "Best of" compilations.

Tue May 19, 2009 1:06 pm

Ken, please cool it down right now.
You made your personal opinion before you have the final product in hand to judge from - you are just not fair.
I do not know Vic Colonna personally but I trust his work will come out great. Cool design, nice pics and so on. I just trust him and wait and see. You should eventually do the same.

And about "grammar issues"... how many people on this msb do write in terrible English, because they do not know it any better for it is not their own language.
This must be forgiven as much as the "grammar mistakes such as small i's", Vic made. By way, English is not my own language. There might be grammar issues with my posts as well. Please forgive me, Ken. :)

Vic just posted a funny read, not caring about grammars - hey Ken, pleeezzz, we are not in school here, are we? :?
Anyway, I loved his post, including the 98 / 480 pound joke.
If the book will come out as humourus and witty, what a thrill for any reader.

Tue May 19, 2009 2:52 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:He created a poor impression, and someone should teach him a thing or two about public relations. If he writes like this in a public messageboard post, how does he write in the book? Language says a lot about your character. He gives the impression of a singer who can’t carry a tune but has to rely on some kind of vocal machine to pull it off. Sure, the end result may be good, but it’s fake. His language here is comparable to that. As I said, he does not create a healthy impression rambling on like that, with no consideration for the finer elements of the art of writing.

There's only one person who is creating a 'poor impression' and it's not Vic. It's quite amusing that while everyone in this thread has considered you to be totally unreasonable, you think you are the one to give someone a lesson in public relations.

Tue May 19, 2009 3:23 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:If you cannot trust the language, you cannot trust the writer. If you cannot trust the writer, you cannot trust his work. It’s as easy as that.

Ken Jensen

Can I suggest you do a search of Vic's posts to give you a bit more background to the story -- it's all here on the Forum -- how he's attending Creative Writing classes etc. In those posts you'll also find that no matter when Vic writes anything he's always humorous, he can't help himself -- he's a funny guy -- not funny peculiar but funny haha.

Try this link.....on it you'll find a link to an Interview Vic gave about his time in Vietnam -- fascinating stuff....click access this item at the top and download the Interview.

http://content.library.ccsu.edu/cdm4/it ... OX=1&REC=4