In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:57 pm

Love this thread too! Thanks for your stories and pictures Sandi.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:20 pm

DutchLA wrote:The first time I met Charlie he was dating a lovely gal that lived in San Bernadino named Kathy. He would spend a weekend at her home, and the next weekend she would spend with him at Elvis' home. He dated her for several years. I think she was the most serious relationship he had for a long time. I could name about a dozen others between LA and Memphis over the years; several of whom I got to know fairly well. There was only one gal I didn't like (no one did) but of course he didn't listen and got the round of "I told you so's" when it ended!

I appreciate this info on Charlie. Charlie sometimes takes a bad rap on this board and he deserved better. Maybe that will shut up some of the more ignorant rumors.

Thank you, Sandi, for sharing your pictures and stories. You've been a breath of fresh air.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:36 pm

First class contributions all the way, Sandi!

Thank you so much for sharing some of your time with a bunch of nimrods like us.

8)

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:12 am

**Can I ask why he gets a bad rap ?

Rob wrote:
DutchLA wrote:The first time I met Charlie he was dating a lovely gal that lived in San Bernadino named Kathy. He would spend a weekend at her home, and the next weekend she would spend with him at Elvis' home. He dated her for several years. I think she was the most serious relationship he had for a long time. I could name about a dozen others between LA and Memphis over the years; several of whom I got to know fairly well. There was only one gal I didn't like (no one did) but of course he didn't listen and got the round of "I told you so's" when it ended!

I appreciate this info on Charlie. Charlie sometimes takes a bad rap on this board and he deserved better. Maybe that will shut up some of the more ignorant rumors.

Thank you, Sandi, for sharing your pictures and stories. You've been a breath of fresh air.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:13 am

LOL - I'm rather fond of nimrods - I think I'm one also!

Cryogenic wrote:First class contributions all the way, Sandi!

Thank you so much for sharing some of your time with a bunch of nimrods like us.

8)

Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:45 am

DutchLA wrote:**Can I ask why he gets a bad rap ?

Some fans think he was a little sycophantic. Personally, I've always considered him to be one of the good guys. Some also seem to begrudge his tendency to gloss over some of the more controversial aspects of Elvis' life, but I've always admired his loyalty to Elvis. Lamar and the like might tell it like it is (although I'm sure with significant embellishment at times), but I'm sure Elvis would have been very upset by some of the revelations and the casual manner in which they are told. Bottom line is, if it were possible for Elvis to see what all his friends have said about him in the last 31 years, he'd recognise Charlie as probably the most loyal and discrete of the lot.

Oh and great stories Sandi. You were a lucky lady. :-)

Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:58 am

Great thread, and great stories Sandi. I'm sure I speak for many of us who are really pleased you come to visit the board. It's always great to hear from people who were there at the time.

As for Charlie, some people seem to suggest Charlie may have been gay, and had a crush on Elvis. Others, as TJ said, seem to think Charlie is in the wrong for not telling every sordid detail, and talking about the bad times as well as the good. For my money, Charlie was one of the most loyal people around Elvis, and seemed to genuinely care for his friend. When you have a weasel like Lamar, who talks about Elvis not bathing, and that you could smell him coming, or getting together with Goldman for that awful book, give me Charlie any day!

elvis and charlie.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:21 am

I think of Charlie as a loyal friend. It's only as if he didn't dare to criticize Elvis. It looks to me that he tried everything to please Elvis...like laughing way too loud...that doesn't look/sound very sincere. Almost the way one behaves when a child tells a joke and you don't want to show that the joke isn't that funny. But I think he was one of the few people around Elvis that never did betray him. That is worth a lot to me.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:30 pm

I love to hear your stories Sandi and enjoyed your pics. Wow you sure must have one collection there.

You are by the way a very very handsome woman. In the pic with Charlie you even look a bit like Linda Thompson IMO (haha you could have been sisters really)

I hope to read more of you and see some more pics. I collect the candids and I guess many that I have in my collection come from your camera so I can't be but very very grateful to you....

He was soooo gorgeous and some say that he even looked better in real life, did he???????????? Do you think he KNEW how handsome he was that is a question that keeps me busy too??????

The Pris and Elvis pic you posted was at Ladera and is of such a beautiful quality. Was it right after their marriage.??????

You seemed to have known Priscilla from the very beginning so can I ask you a question here??????

Some around Elvis do say she changed so much over the years. Changing from a shy and sweet kid to a rather bossy and moody and not all that happy woman. Is that true. Did you also notice her changing a lot during her years with Elvis??????

Not me to decide ofcourse but wouldn't it be better that Sandi could have her own topic here on the board. Her sticky so to speak were she could share memories , answer questions and post pics...... Wouldn't that be neat.....

OK I'm a number one fan of you :oops: :?:

Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:47 pm

TJ wrote:

Some fans think he was a little sycophantic. Personally, I've always considered him to be one of the good guys. Some also seem to begrudge his tendency to gloss over some of the more controversial aspects of Elvis' life, but I've always admired his loyalty to Elvis. Lamar and the like might tell it like it is (although I'm sure with significant embellishment at times), but I'm sure Elvis would have been very upset by some of the revelations and the casual manner in which they are told. Bottom line is, if it were possible for Elvis to see what all his friends have said about him in the last 31 years, he'd recognise Charlie as probably the most loyal and discrete of the lot.

**Now that you mention it, I have read the grumbles in the past about Charlie whitewashing Elvis' life but Charlie was not one to speak badly about ANYONE, much less Elvis...not because there wasn't plenty he could have said but because 1) I think it's all been said over and over already so why expound on it and also because he respected Elvis' privacy always - even after Elvis' death.

Shortly after Elvis died, I went to Graceland for a week and stayed there - Charlie had at least 30 big boxes of mail from fans around the world - sympathy cards, letters from fans sharing their meeting with Elvis, or a show they'd seen, or just talking about what Elvis had meant to them. We sat up all night (along with another friend of mine who met me in Memphis) and we all read a good portion of these letters which prompted tears, laughter and remembering some pretty interesting times, including some that would fall under the catagory of not so nice things that have been written about Elvis...- the good times, the bad times, the sad times - In some 30 hours I think we went over 12 years of memories. What I'm trying to say is - Charlie wasn't oblivious to the negatives that happened but they were Elvis' personal life, as well as his own and he just preferred to keep those memories to himself, just as Elvis respected things Charlie confided to him about....it's what friends do!

As for some of the stories that have been written about - I won't say they are untrue- they are all based on things that did happen but I will also say that sometimes they're relayed a little more dramatically than what actually happened. . I don't know about ALL things that have been written, but in the case of instances where I was personally present and saw and heard what went on, and then hear about it in an interview or in a book - it's almost unrecognizable. My other beef is when someone brings up something Elvis said or did that makes him seem belligerant or extreme - so often the details leading up to the episode are left out which would go a long way to explain why Elvis exploded (doesn't make it right-but if you're gonna paint Elvis as a raving maniac at least say why he went ballistic and be accurate about it !) Reading "half-stories" isn't fair to Elvis or anyone else in the group!

That's my rant for now!

Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:55 pm

Monique wrote:I think of Charlie as a loyal friend. It's only as if he didn't dare to criticize Elvis. It looks to me that he tried everything to please Elvis...like laughing way too loud...that doesn't look/sound very sincere. Almost the way one behaves when a child tells a joke and you don't want to show that the joke isn't that funny. But I think he was one of the few people around Elvis that never did betray him. That is worth a lot to me.

**Ah yes, the exaggerated laugh - he did get carried away with that didn't he? But it wasn't just on stage - he did it all the time...with everyone. Guess that was just his thing!

Elvis used to tell UNFUNNY jokes on purpose, just to see who would laugh and almost without fail - they ALL would laugh! Then Elvis would say....wait wait!!! I'm not finished! Now THAT was funny! Most of them just weren't on stage or on camera to capture it but the, God love them! ;)

Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:53 pm

He was soooo gorgeous and some say that he even looked better in real life, did he???????????? Do you think he KNEW how handsome he was that is a question that keeps me busy too??????

**He was definately better looking in person than any photos I've seen of him. He HAD to know - for one thing people always told him he was drop dead gorgeous (and he'd turn red!) but rarely did he have that "I'm God's gift to women attitude" I say rarely because every once in a while, he had that strut about him and you just knew he felt good about himself but I just never got the impression he was stuck on himself.

The Pris and Elvis pic you posted was at Ladera and is of such a beautiful quality. Was it right after their marriage.??????

**Yes, it was taken a few days after their wedding. There's actually another shot taken at the same time that is clearer and a little further away- I just don't have it scanned at the moment.

You seemed to have known Priscilla from the very beginning so can I ask you a question here??????

Some around Elvis do say she changed so much over the years. Changing from a shy and sweet kid to a rather bossy and moody and not all that happy woman. Is that true. Did you also notice her changing a lot during her years with Elvis??????

**Yes she changed - but so did everyone. I think we're the same age and I know I changed over the years. I have to say in alot of ways I felt sorry for her - always having us fans at the gate or in her house and I don't know how I would have reacted if I were in her position - but then again, like I've said before, she was aware of all this before they got married soooooooo. She was drop dead gorgeous though!

Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Sandi,Sam Phillips said that Elvis was the shyest person he ever met, did you get that impression?
Appreciate your coming on here to answer questions, you're like a breath of fresh air on here!

Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:28 pm

agree Liverbobs , that she sure is ::rocks

Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:25 pm

DarrylMac wrote:As for Charlie, some people seem to suggest Charlie may have been gay, and had a crush on Elvis. Others, as TJ said, seem to think Charlie is in the wrong for not telling every sordid detail, and talking about the bad times as well as the good. For my money, Charlie was one of the most loyal people around Elvis, and seemed to genuinely care for his friend. When you have a weasel like Lamar, who talks about Elvis not bathing, and that you could smell him coming, or getting together with Goldman for that awful book, give me Charlie any day!

You mischaracterize both Charlie and Lamar, and some of your assertions are erroneous, which isn't really fair to either of them -- or us.

For all of Charlie's loyalty, a lot of his behavior was straight out of Sycophant 101. Of course Lamar -- and nearly every other pal of Elvis' after the 1956 breakthrough -- fell into the same classroom, some more often than others. But what is refreshing about Fike, given hindsight, is his intelligence and self-awareness. He knows he made a major mistake assisting heinous biographer Albert Goldman in 1980-81, and he seems to have devoted a lot of time to making a better case for himself since then.

Lamar's witty and insightful contributions to Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations From The Memphis Mafia (1995) allowed a fan to really know the man behind the music. A generation after Elvis' passing, this is crucial for those who care, who still chase the mystery that was our hero. On the other hand, Hodge preferred to offer fans nothing but bone cancer theories and "pillow fight" anecdotes.

That is a very telling difference between the two.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:15 pm

DutchLA wrote:[As for some of the stories that have been written about - I won't say they are untrue- they are all based on things that did happen but I will also say that sometimes they're relayed a little more dramatically than what actually happened. . I don't know about ALL things that have been written, but in the case of instances where I was personally present and saw and heard what went on, and then hear about it in an interview or in a book - it's almost unrecognizable. My other beef is when someone brings up something Elvis said or did that makes him seem belligerant or extreme - so often the details leading up to the episode are left out which would go a long way to explain why Elvis exploded (doesn't make it right-but if you're gonna paint Elvis as a raving maniac at least say why he went ballistic and be accurate about it !) Reading "half-stories" isn't fair to Elvis or anyone else in the group!

That's my rant for now!

Wouldn't it be a good idea to come up with a sort of "answer-book". Where you give your reaction to some half-stories that were told by his so called friends. Elvis is not in the position to tell us his side of the storie. You were there...maybe you can -in a way- represent him. Just a thought...

Love to read your contribution to this forum again! I totally agree with you on the part where you're saying that you fellt sorry for Priscilla...BUT that she was well aware of how things went on before she married Elvis. No mercy!

Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Lamar's witty and insightful contributions to Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations From The Memphis Mafia (1995) allowed a fan to really know the man behind the music.

That is a very telling difference between the two.

Seriously, Doc??? :roll:

Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:03 pm

I interviewed Sandi a few years back . Figured you all may enjoy hearing it.

http://www.elvis2001.net/Sandi%20Miller ... 0Krein.htm

Hope you like it.
Joe Krein
http://www.elvis2001.net

::rocks

Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:27 pm

DutchLA wrote:
TJ wrote:

**Now that you mention it, I have read the grumbles in the past about Charlie whitewashing Elvis' life but Charlie was not one to speak badly about ANYONE, much less Elvis...not because there wasn't plenty he could have said but because 1) I think it's all been said over and over already so why expound on it and also because he respected Elvis' privacy always - even after Elvis' death.

Shortly after Elvis died, I went to Graceland for a week and stayed there - Charlie had at least 30 big boxes of mail from fans around the world - sympathy cards, letters from fans sharing their meeting with Elvis, or a show they'd seen, or just talking about what Elvis had meant to them. We sat up all night (along with another friend of mine who met me in Memphis) and we all read a good portion of these letters which prompted tears, laughter and remembering some pretty interesting times, including some that would fall under the catagory of not so nice things that have been written about Elvis...- the good times, the bad times, the sad times - In some 30 hours I think we went over 12 years of memories. What I'm trying to say is - Charlie wasn't oblivious to the negatives that happened but they were Elvis' personal life, as well as his own and he just preferred to keep those memories to himself, just as Elvis respected things Charlie confided to him about....it's what friends do!

As for some of the stories that have been written about - I won't say they are untrue- they are all based on things that did happen but I will also say that sometimes they're relayed a little more dramatically than what actually happened. . I don't know about ALL things that have been written, but in the case of instances where I was personally present and saw and heard what went on, and then hear about it in an interview or in a book - it's almost unrecognizable. My other beef is when someone brings up something Elvis said or did that makes him seem belligerant or extreme - so often the details leading up to the episode are left out which would go a long way to explain why Elvis exploded (doesn't make it right-but if you're gonna paint Elvis as a raving maniac at least say why he went ballistic and be accurate about it !) Reading "half-stories" isn't fair to Elvis or anyone else in the group!

That's my rant for now!

Sandi, the Mike Stone story comes to mind. The "Mike Stone must die" episode happened right after the show where the Peruvian guys jumped on the stage. One interpretation is that Elvis thought Mike sent these people to mess with him. Some other folks say that Mike had suggested to Priscilla that it might be a good idea if Elvis was kept awy from Lisa for awhile, for whatever reason.

None of this justifies taking out a contract on another man's life, but it does provide some context to his bizarre behavior.

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:12 pm

Elvis2001.net wrote:interviewed Sandi a few years back . Figured you all may enjoy hearing it.Hope you like it.
Joe Krein

I sure did.
Thanks Joe.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:31 am

Can we make this a sticky?

Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:07 pm

Thanks for the great interview Sergio. Thank you Sandi for the posts over the last few days - great insight!

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:42 am

Hi Sandi - thanx SO much for all your fantastic memories of our dear Elvis!!! I only had 2 weekend of opportunities to fly down from Canada to meet Elvis in L.A.(which we did!) in March of '67 and April of '68........he was so very sweet and kind to the fans waiting outside the gates.......very caring and funny.........he asked once why we came down all the way from Canada - we said "to see you Elvis!".........he replied "all that way just to see me!!!!!?" - we told him "yes - because we love you Elvis" and he grinned and kept signing autographs for fans-very accomodating to those fans I must say!!!..............those memories hanging around his homes are so very special ....I suppose it was because he was so real and not on stage and in the spotlight.......and Sandi I have to agree - he WAS so very good looking in person....Ruff!!!!......what picture has possibly captured that magical look?

I wish I could have gone down and stayed in L.A. and been at the gate every nite he was there but one must work and make money.......Unfortunately, I lived 1900 miles away otherwise I would have been there!!!..................You're one lucky lady!!!!

We did go to see Elvis live from '69 to '76 so we were extremely lucky to have done that also!!!!.........(30 shows)

Great memories Sandi!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're very sweet and kind to share your wonderful memories!!!!! Hi to Bud Glass!!

Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:30 am

You were so lucky to meet him, and see him. Imagine me, born in 1975 in Norway :roll:

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:12 am

Thanks a million for sharing this with us Sandy!

This is the best thread here for a long time. Amazing reading.