In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:10 pm

jeanno wrote:Hi Sandi,

one question about the studio recording sessions: it has been said that Elvis was so proud about some sessions (1969 for example) or quite disgusted about others. Could you tell us if you got the oportunity to see Elvis right after a recording session and if he would make comment about the material recorded.

Thanks again for sharing.


**I never attended any actual sessions where Elvis was recording - I did attend "rehearsals" - many, many of them and very occasionally Elvis would tape those on one of those small portable recorders and he'd listen to it afterwards to see if he wanted to make any changes but as for actual professional tapings, no- never got to do that.

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:12 pm

riley wrote:oh what a beautiful picture. How old where you in that pic Sandi?


**Early 20's ... ah, the good ole days!!!

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:20 pm

DutchLA wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Hi Sandi :D :D :D.

I´ve just finished reading this fantastic topic 8), I couldn´t do it before. Thank you very much for sharing your memories. I have also a question for you, were you around when Elvis was visited by Tom Jones or The Beatles?. If so, is there anything interesting you can tell us about these two exciting moments?. Bye for now :smt006.

Mike windgren.


**The Beatles were at the Perugia house before I moved to Calif so missed that historic meeting....however did meet Tom Jones a few times (Hilton) and at the Ilikai Hotel in Hawaii when Elvis had him up to the suite.


Imagine that -- Elvis and Tom in the same room -- I wouldn't know where to start first

:lol:

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:10 pm

Dan_T wrote:It is a fantastic thread !

Sandi,you've said you've sat and watched TV with Elvis,we know he loved Hawaii Five 0,did you ever sit and watch that with him? what about "Happy Days" can you recall Elvis ever watching that show ? I'd love to know what he thought of "The Fonz"

Dan.


**Most of the tv we watched were things that were on really late at night - Johnny Carson - old movies - things like that. I know he loved Goldie Hawn but never watched Laugh In with him that I remember... he liked to have the news on also if the tv happened to be on earlier in the day and of course if there was a football game on...that would be on all day long.

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:47 pm

DutchLA wrote:
Dan_T wrote:It is a fantastic thread !

Sandi,you've said you've sat and watched TV with Elvis,we know he loved Hawaii Five 0,did you ever sit and watch that with him? what about "Happy Days" can you recall Elvis ever watching that show ? I'd love to know what he thought of "The Fonz"

Dan.


he liked to have the news on also if the tv happened to be on earlier in the day and of course if there was a football game on...that would be on all day long.


hello sandy
it s nice of you that you to talk to us
would you say he was interested in what happened in Europe ?
8)

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:00 am

drawing.jpg


This isn't one of the "blooper" autographs I got from Elvis but it is the first one I worked up the nerve to ask him for... on a drawing I attempted to do from his baby photo. He thought I was giving it to him to keep (awkward!!) which made it even worse because I wanted him to sign it and give it BACK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:56 am

You have such precious memories. I can't get enough of your stories. Please continue!

Btw, nice drawing...and priceless because of the story behind it.

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:55 pm

hello sandy
it s nice of you that you to talk to us
would you say he was interested in what happened in Europe ?
8)[/quote]


There wasn't too much Elvis was not interested in - whether that be what was happening in the US or anywhere else in the world, he very much kept up with current events.

When he started his concert tours he started talking about wanting to go overseas and he'd apparently put some thought into it because he mentioned countries he wanted to go to (and the only one I can remember is Japan although he mentioned several others)

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:07 pm

thank you for your answer ; i appreciate that 8)

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:21 am

Sandi, I swear to God ... I've just looked at that picture of Elvis with his arm around you again and you might just be hotter than Priscilla. Choices, choices. :roll: :D Maybe it's the big milk teeth. OK, OK, they're not milk teeth, but they look it! I never knew teeth could inspire such naughty thoughts! No-one should ever be that young or that pretty. *sigh*

OK, I'm loitering in here and acting like a big dumb suck-up because a) I'm male and b) I have a fresh question! Honest! 8)

I'm interested in any info or insights you might be able to provide on Elvis' singing exercices and tips 'n' tricks. This topic has been sparked by something said in another thread concerning inhalers. We clearly see Elvis using something in "Elvis On Tour" and in "Elvis In Concert" (outtakes) backstage. To date, I've never seen anyone definitively saying what they contained or what exactly they were meant to do (beyond opening up his air passages, presumably). I'm not looking for any particular facts on inhalers, as such - that's just the inspiration behind asking you this. To unpack my question a little bit... In an at least one interview, Elvis said he vocalised every day. What does that mean? What did he do? I've also heard about him trying different things to keep in good vocal shape .. e.g. taking salt water up his nostrils (??) and other esoteric practices. Can you clarify any of this or tell us anything you did see or hear him doing, vocally, physically, or otherwise? What kind of maintenance and sustenance did a voice as magnificent as EP's require?

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:09 am

DutchLA wrote:
Dan_T wrote:It is a fantastic thread !

Sandi,you've said you've sat and watched TV with Elvis,we know he loved Hawaii Five 0,did you ever sit and watch that with him? what about "Happy Days" can you recall Elvis ever watching that show ? I'd love to know what he thought of "The Fonz"

Dan.


**Most of the tv we watched were things that were on really late at night - Johnny Carson - old movies - things like that. I know he loved Goldie Hawn but never watched Laugh In with him that I remember... he liked to have the news on also if the tv happened to be on earlier in the day and of course if there was a football game on...that would be on all day long.


Hi Sandi, this has been a fanstastic thread and thanks for sharing your memories with us. Your insights into the personality of Elvis, behind closed doors are most welcome on here.

Of course, you're referring to American Football above, but did Elvis know anything about or ever watch soccer? I'm guessing the answer's no but I've always wanted to know that.

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:21 am

Just feel like telling you all, that we at Elvis Unlimited is very honored to be the first to bring Sandi Miller to Elvis events in Europe. For now she will be in Sweden, Denmark and Holland, the first weekend in June, 2009. Why dont you come down and meet Sandi in person and ask the question you like. Look forward to meet you.

Henrik
www.elvisunlimited.com

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:22 am

carolynlm wrote:Hey Sandi.....me again.
I would like to know if you had a job in these years that you knew Elvis and how did you manage it?


Yes I had a full time job- was a Secretary in the Purchasing Department of Hunt-Wesson Foods. When I first moved to California, I had 3 months off so we pretty much spent all our time up in Bel Air--in September I got a job - got off at 5 pm and would head straight for Bel Air from work and more often than not would arrive at the house just before Elvis came home from the studio. Weekends of course were free.. looking back now, I don't know how on earth that schedule was maintained!! Work all day, drive 45 minutes to L.A. - go home after midnight, and up and back to work by 8 am every single day. I couldn't do that now if my life depended on it! On second thought- if Elvis were still alive, I guess the motivation would still drive me!

Ok- be back shortly - heading out to dinner!

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:44 am

ADMIN!

Is there any chance we can make this a separate section in FECC?

These 12 pages contain many interesting -- but DIFFERENT -- topics, and they will be very hard to reference in the future if stuck under one topic title. The page count will grow and grow and grow!

Besides, in a Sandi's Corner section, she can look at member's various thoughts or queries and answer as time permits the ones that most appeal to her!

Hope this can be done.

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:49 am

Cryogenic wrote:Sandi, I swear to God ... I've just looked at that picture of Elvis with his arm around you again and you might just be hotter than Priscilla. Choices, choices. :roll: :D Maybe it's the big milk teeth. OK, OK, they're not milk teeth, but they look it! I never knew teeth could inspire such naughty thoughts! No-one should ever be that young or that pretty. *sigh*

OK, I'm loitering in here and acting like a big dumb suck-up because a) I'm male and b) I have a fresh question! Honest! 8)

I'm interested in any info or insights you might be able to provide on Elvis' singing exercices and tips 'n' tricks. This topic has been sparked by something said in another thread concerning inhalers. We clearly see Elvis using something in "Elvis On Tour" and in "Elvis In Concert" (outtakes) backstage. To date, I've never seen anyone definitively saying what they contained or what exactly they were meant to do (beyond opening up his air passages, presumably). I'm not looking for any particular facts on inhalers, as such - that's just the inspiration behind asking you this. To unpack my question a little bit... In an at least one interview, Elvis said he vocalised every day. What does that mean? What did he do? I've also heard about him trying different things to keep in good vocal shape .. e.g. taking salt water up his nostrils (??) and other esoteric practices. Can you clarify any of this or tell us anything you did see or hear him doing, vocally, physically, or otherwise? What kind of maintenance and sustenance did a voice as magnificent as EP's require?


**He did have some concoction he'd gargle with and I know he mentioned once what all was in it but I'd have to dig thru my journals and see if I bothered to write down what it was. There was a singer in Vegas at the time who apparently told Elvis that when he was not performing he would not speak AT ALL to rest his vocal cords - he'd write notes but would not speak so Elvis decided he was going to try that technique next time he appeared in Vegas. I didn't believe he'd be able to do it for a minute because Elvis just liked to talk toooo much to give it up but try he did when the next engagement started. He lasted all of two hours and broke his silence by saying "this is B_LL S__T! Dr. Nick also gave him something to gargle with but again, it wasn't something that I felt the need to ask him what it was. He'd warm up his voice all the time but it never seemed like anything other than him playing around - it wasn't like you see some artists do where they do their scales or hum or repeat certain chants - with Elvis it was just him being goofy and trying out different notes going as low as he could go and as high as he could go and he'd usually end up laughing at himself. Not a very technical description is it? ANyway- I never really saw him doing anything special to maintain his voice. He may have - but I only witnessed the goofy stuff.

Ok, question for you - what the heck are milk teeth?? That's a new expression to me!

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:02 am

DutchLA wrote:**He did have some concoction he'd gargle with and I know he mentioned once what all was in it but I'd have to dig thru my journals and see if I bothered to write down what it was. There was a singer in Vegas at the time who apparently told Elvis that when he was not performing he would not speak AT ALL to rest his vocal cords - he'd write notes but would not speak so Elvis decided he was going to try that technique next time he appeared in Vegas. I didn't believe he'd be able to do it for a minute because Elvis just liked to talk toooo much to give it up but try he did when the next engagement started. He lasted all of two hours and broke his silence by saying "this is B_LL S__T! Dr. Nick also gave him something to gargle with but again, it wasn't something that I felt the need to ask him what it was. He'd warm up his voice all the time but it never seemed like anything other than him playing around - it wasn't like you see some artists do where they do their scales or hum or repeat certain chants - with Elvis it was just him being goofy and trying out different notes going as low as he could go and as high as he could go and he'd usually end up laughing at himself. Not a very technical description is it? ANyway- I never really saw him doing anything special to maintain his voice. He may have - but I only witnessed the goofy stuff.


LMAO! (Bolded Bit)

Thanks for another detailed response.

I figured you may not have seen him doing anything special, but wanted to make sure.

You might know better than me, but I don't think Elvis was in the business of being all that serious or disciplined. And I guess silly remedies and liquids were never going to amount to a hill of beans. You've either got it or you haven't.

DutchLA wrote:Ok, question for you - what the heck are milk teeth?? That's a new expression to me!


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deciduous_teeth

Maybe it's a British term?

I was remarking on the fact that they appear so pure and icandescent in the picture. Your face is heavenly in that photo, too. My, oh my! You just need a carrot for those eager gnashers! :mrgreen:

Naw, I'm teasing. You were, and are, one hell of a looker. AND you met Elvis again and again. Some people! :roll: :P
Last edited by Cryogenic on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:04 am

Hi again Sandi

I listened last night to the interview you gave about two years ago with Joe from "Elvis Express Radio". You mention in the interview that Elvis was "eccentric" but you couldn't be drawn when asked for an example of his eccentricity. Do you have any good examples?

You also mention the occasions when a jeweller would arrive and everyone present would be allowed to choose a piece of jewellry of their liking from the case. What other examples of his tremendous generosity did you witness.

Finally, for now, I loved hearing the story of Elvis asking Vernon to drive you around Memphis to see the sights and then Vernon asking you to pay for the gas. Terrific.

To me, it looks like Elvis is using an inhaler in the clips I've seen kind of like the ones people use to treat asthma.

Thanks Sandi

Phil

PS I must agree, you do look pretty hot in that earlier picture. And Elvis never tried to "chat you up"?

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:25 am

acmeruya wrote:Hi again Sandi

I listened last night to the interview you gave about two years ago with Joe from "Elvis Express Radio". You mention in the interview that Elvis was "eccentric" but you couldn't be drawn when asked for an example of his eccentricity. Do you have any good examples?

****Sitting out by the pool fully dressed with a fan blowing on him when everyone else was wearing swim suits in the 115 degree temperatures is the first one that comes to mind. He didn't like people taking food from his plate although he would offer up to have you taste something but HE had to be the one to give it to you - that's two examples I can think of.

You also mention the occasions when a jeweller would arrive and everyone present would be allowed to choose a piece of jewellry of their liking from the case. What other examples of his tremendous generosity did you witness.

***The jewelry and other gifts were always nice of course and at the risk of sounding mushy, I think the thing he was most generous with was his time ...it always impressed me so much that he always made time for everyone in the room - one on one. But again, if you're talking material things...he liked buying clothes for the gals by either just handing over the credit card or having things brought to the house/or room in the case of time spent at the Hilton.

He would remember things people said in casual conversation and then, sometimes as long as a year later, he'd gift them with an item that had to do with the conversation. For instance, he asked my roomate once what time it was and she said she didn't know because she didn't own a watch. 5 months later he asked her again what time it was with a goofy look on his face and again she said she didn't know and went into the kitchen to check the clock - he then gave her a beautiful Black Hills Gold watch - she slugged him (gently) and said "you set me up!!" He was quite pleased with himself! :)

Finally, for now, I loved hearing the story of Elvis asking Vernon to drive you around Memphis to see the sights and then Vernon asking you to pay for the gas. Terrific.

**Vernon didn't ask us for any money-- we offered it to him because he had spent all day driving us all over Memphis, paid for our lunch etc. etc. It just seemed like the right thing to do. Elvis asked us later that night if "Daddy" had showed us a good time and we told him yes and that we had given him some gas money. Elvis was hysterical and he said "*I* pay for his gas!!! Then he wanted to know if Vernon took the $10 and we said yes he sure did..... Guess it was funny now that I think about it!

To me, it looks like Elvis is using an inhaler in the clips I've seen kind of like the ones people use to treat asthma.

Thanks Sandi

Phil

PS I must agree, you do look pretty hot in that earlier picture. And Elvis never tried to "chat you up"?


**Chat me up? I get the feeling that doesn't mean he liked to talk alot!

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:09 am

DutchLA wrote:Sitting out by the pool fully dressed with a fan blowing on him when everyone else was wearing swim suits in the 115 degree temperatures is the first one that comes to mind.


It's been said he may have had a bit of an inferiority complex about his body at times, especially when he'd gained some weight?

DutchLA wrote:He didn't like people taking food from his plate although he would offer up to have you taste something but HE had to be the one to give it to you - that's two examples I can think of.


I think most people would get upset if others swiped food from their plate! I know I would.

Well, it's all great, as usual.

"What time is it?" Ah, what a guy.

The Vernon anecdote is very insightful, too.

DutchLA wrote:Chat me up? I get the feeling that doesn't mean he liked to talk alot!


LOL!

Another phrase that doesn't translate? Well, it basically means charm and impress with intent to seduce.

Did Elvis actually need to chat a female admirer up? Like, ever? :)

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:56 am

Thanks Sandi for even more insightful glimpses into the more private side of Elvis. You mentioned that you were at the 68 special show (which one or all of them?) and I was wondering if you were at the Aloha show too? Do you have any interesting stories from either of these two milestones?

I loved what you said about being at the Vegas shows - the fact that you were close to Elvis and knew him well but still like a new fan at the shows. Your description of holding hands with your friend under the table digging in your nails because of the excitement was beautiful.

You mentioned a lot of his humour was rather "risque" and I am sure you know of the "Ode to a Robin" poem. Do you have any similar anecdotes to share about his more off-beat or risque humour?

Sorry my "chat up" comment was unclear. You are pretty hot in the photo with Elvis and I was wondering if he ever made any sexual or romantic advances towards you.

Thanks again,

Phil

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:55 pm

londonflash wrote:
DutchLA wrote:
Dan_T wrote:It is a fantastic thread !

Sandi,you've said you've sat and watched TV with Elvis,we know he loved Hawaii Five 0,did you ever sit and watch that with him? what about "Happy Days" can you recall Elvis ever watching that show ? I'd love to know what he thought of "The Fonz"

Dan.


Hi Sandi, this has been a fanstastic thread and thanks for sharing your memories with us. Your insights into the personality of Elvis, behind closed doors are most welcome on here.

Of course, you're referring to American Football above, but did Elvis know anything about or ever watch soccer? I'm guessing the answer's no but I've always wanted to know that.


**Oops- just saw this.

The only thing I remember is the football games and that was only a few times because he seemed to be in Memphis more often than not during the football season.

As I mentioned before though- he was always very up when it came to current events and when they were big news stories of the day, even more so! Some of the stories he followed closely (as did most people I suspect) were when Gov. Wallace was shot - when the Olympic players were taken hostages; the entire Vietnam war (and he was very curious as to the POW bracelets so many people were wearing including several fans so he asked about them) he had some in-house suggestions when Evil Knievels Sky Cycle jump failed; The entire Patty Hearst Kidnapping saga he followed; the Sharon Tate murders of course because that happened about 5 minutes from the Hillcrest house and it changed his own security steps and he even talked to all the fans about it since they were constantly out by the gate at all hours of the night and that really freaked him out that killers were on the loose not to mention right down the street from him! Last but not least - the Bobby Kennedy assassination because again, that happened not too far from his home. We were at the Ambassador Hotel the night that happened and Elvis knew we had press passes to attend because heaven only knows, we mentioned it often enough so he had someone on the phone to us the minute we got home asking for details and what we knew since the news wasn't saying much yet at that point...only that Kennedy had been shot! He was really freaked out by it all.

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:16 pm

acmeruya wrote:Thanks Sandi for even more insightful glimpses into the more private side of Elvis. You mentioned that you were at the 68 special show (which one or all of them?) and I was wondering if you were at the Aloha show too? Do you have any interesting stories from either of these two milestones?

***Attended several of the tapings of the 68 Special but not the Aloha Show! I think I've mentioned before that tickets to the NBC show were free - all you had to do was send a SASE to the studio and you would get your tickets back by mail. We had sent off for ours but then Elvis started handing out tickets to the group of fans at the gate that he knew- he was afraid no one was going to attend the tapings so he was going to make sure SOMEONE showed up! We gave away the tickets we had sent for and used the ones Elvis gave us.

I loved what you said about being at the Vegas shows - the fact that you were close to Elvis and knew him well but still like a new fan at the shows. Your description of holding hands with your friend under the table digging in your nails because of the excitement was beautiful.

***That never stopped either - because on stage he was "Elvis the Performer" and that was a whole different thing than the guy who would be upstairs after the show being his crazy normal self. To me, they were two different people almost.

You mentioned a lot of his humour was rather "risque" and I am sure you know of the "Ode to a Robin" poem. Do you have any similar anecdotes to share about his more off-beat or risque humour?

**I used to relay to a few pen-pals some of the rehearsal sessions and what went on but I don't think anyone believed me because back then - no uncut material was available and Elvis was very polite in public so for the most part, most fans couldn't even imagine him cussing - the boys, yes, but not Elvis so I really don't think anyone believed me at the time. Then after Elvis' death, those tapes started coming out .... so hopefully that clarified what I'd said! LOL!
[b]
As for other risque things - heck - every day was risque - the man had a potty mouth! I've never heard anyone be able to string so many blue words together and use them in a sentance and if it wasn't that, it was hand motions - always something and yet - it never seemed to come off as crude or rude - it was just how he was. At first I'd say 75% of things went right over my head but that didn't last long! There was an incident at the Century Plaza Hotel in Santa Monica that was hysterical but it's not all that funny when it's typed up but he let loose with every naughty word ever written as he was walking down the hall of the hotel, right past two little old ladies....who probably wondered what the heck that was all about until their dying day!

Sorry my "chat up" comment was unclear. You are pretty hot in the photo with Elvis and I was wondering if he ever made any sexual or romantic advances towards you.

**Well if he ever did I missed it (which wouldn't be surprising!) But I'd have to say no ... Elvis was a very huggy, touchy person and he loved to hug and kiss and that's about as cozy as anything got. In fact, he was very protective of both Jann and I -- it was ok for him to fuss over us but no-one else in the group better try it and he made it a point to tell us if anyone bothered us, to let HIM know and he'd take care of it !



Thanks again,

Phil

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:43 pm

Henrik Knudsen wrote:Just feel like telling you all, that we at Elvis Unlimited is very honored to be the first to bring Sandi Miller to Elvis events in Europe. For now she will be in Sweden, Denmark and Holland, the first weekend in June, 2009. Why dont you come down and meet Sandi in person and ask the question you like. Look forward to meet you.

Henrik
http://www.elvisunlimited.com


**Just saw this also (I'm obviously slacking this week!) Just want to thank Elvis Unlimited for inviting me to attend their event and I'm very excited about it and looking forward to meeting fellow Elvis fans! I've always heard the events over seas are so awesome! :)

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:55 pm

DutchLA wrote:
londonflash wrote:
DutchLA wrote:
Dan_T wrote:It is a fantastic thread !

Sandi,you've said you've sat and watched TV with Elvis,we know he loved Hawaii Five 0,did you ever sit and watch that with him? what about "Happy Days" can you recall Elvis ever watching that show ? I'd love to know what he thought of "The Fonz"

Dan.


Hi Sandi, this has been a fanstastic thread and thanks for sharing your memories with us. Your insights into the personality of Elvis, behind closed doors are most welcome on here.

Of course, you're referring to American Football above, but did Elvis know anything about or ever watch soccer? I'm guessing the answer's no but I've always wanted to know that.


**Oops- just saw this.

The only thing I remember is the football games and that was only a few times because he seemed to be in Memphis more often than not during the football season.

As I mentioned before though- he was always very up when it came to current events and when they were big news stories of the day, even more so! Some of the stories he followed closely (as did most people I suspect) were when Gov. Wallace was shot - when the Olympic players were taken hostages; the entire Vietnam war (and he was very curious as to the POW bracelets so many people were wearing including several fans so he asked about them) he had some in-house suggestions when Evil Knievels Sky Cycle jump failed; The entire Patty Hearst Kidnapping saga he followed; the Sharon Tate murders of course because that happened about 5 minutes from the Hillcrest house and it changed his own security steps and he even talked to all the fans about it since they were constantly out by the gate at all hours of the night and that really freaked him out that killers were on the loose not to mention right down the street from him! Last but not least - the Bobby Kennedy assassination because again, that happened not too far from his home. We were at the Ambassador Hotel the night that happened and Elvis knew we had press passes to attend because heaven only knows, we mentioned it often enough so he had someone on the phone to us the minute we got home asking for details and what we knew since the news wasn't saying much yet at that point...only that Kennedy had been shot! He was really freaked out by it all.


Sandi, it seems like Elvis really got into his gun and badge phase in fall of '70, as the photographic evidence suggests. There were the Manson murders the year prior. There was the death threat scare at the International the previous August. And, of course, he had a baby to protect. Were there any other incidents that served as catalysts?

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:22 pm

Outstanding stuff!

Totally fascinating to read about all the news stories he followed. And, as usual, Sandi, you wove it back to personal insights about the man - e.g. the assassinations and how worried he became.

The Century Plaza Hotel story sounds funny! I wonder how many cuss words Elvis knew? I dare not ask! I was amused to hear him use the very British "bloody" in his extant home recording of "It's A Sin To Tell A Lie". How was he with accents and impressions, by the way? Did he like taking people off and sound effects in general? What clever/crazy stuff did you see and hear him do? In outtakes of "Too Much Monkey Business", he's goofing off on a Jackie Wilson impression, in an outtake of "Memories", he's doing cat noises and God knows what else, and in stage versions of "Fever", he sometimes mouths his own name in the way a frantic female fan would ("I light up when you call my name .. "). My favourite one is probably when he grabs the neck of his guitar and makes a "rifle" noise to shut some rowdy female fans up in the 2nd (?) NBC sitdown show. Made me jump!

One thing you said that surprised me a little:

DutchLA wrote:on stage he was "Elvis the Performer" and that was a whole different thing than the guy who would be upstairs after the show being his crazy normal self. To me, they were two different people almost.


That's very interesting, since Lisa-Marie states in "Elvis By The Presleys" (have you seen that and what are your thoughts?) that his real personality was the same as his stage personality, just greater (or words to that effect). Obviously, she was only a kid at the time, so your perspective is probably better informed. Or maybe it's two seemingly-contradictory ways of saying the same thing?