In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:30 pm

DutchLA wrote:
Dan_T wrote:Sandi,there is a subject that has come up and has been discussed on this board several times over the years,and it's not a nice one,it's the story that Elvis told Kathy Westmoreland that he had Bone Cancer.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this story,but Kathy has claimed that Elvis told her this in 1970,I wonder if you have any thoughts as to why Elvis would have told her such a thing?

Do you think it was a test of "Trust" perhaps?

Dan.

*I have heard more versions and explanations of this whole "bone cancer" story than I can shake a stick at. I've heard it was a red herring to test people within the group to find a leak - I've heard Kathy talk about it, Charlie talk about - heck everyone in the group has their own version based on I don't know what. I'm not even sure any of the stories are accurate or maybe they're a conglomeration of bits and pieces that the people around Elvis deducted on their own, or maybe it's something that Elvis actually said - I really can't say but it's possible that if he (Elvis) was achey in his bones or something, that he might have expressed the* fear* he might have cancer and it just took off from there.

Now the red herring theory - that it was a made up story within the group to see who would leak it to the press - that makes no sense to me because it would just plain be incredibly insensitive to put out a story like that right after Elvis' death .... I *think* I heard somewhere that Vernon wanted the story put out there to see who could be trusted within the group and again - that makes no sense to me because Vernon was out of his mind with grief and not even thinking well (not to mention in horrible health himself) so I seriously doubt he had the mind-set to come up with that.

I personally don't even know what to think . Is it possible he had bone cancer or the beginning of bone cancer? I suppose so but I I doubt we'll ever know for sure . RIght now it seems to be split 50/50 of those in the group and family members...maybe one day the autopsy results will end the speculation.

I will say Elvis was very good at diagnosing symptoms and sometimes got carried away with that so it very well could have been a worry for him and like I said before, he may have just been thinking out loud (and not stating it as a fact) and it took off from there.

If Grob can be trusted to any degree, he says that in the '76/'77 time frame, they would float a "red herring" in an attempt to ferret out the source(s) of stories that were appearing in the press. One in particular that I recall was the account of Elvis' no-show at the Nashville session. Or it might've been Elvis shooting Ginger's tires. In any event, stories were showing up in papers like the Enquirer that were true, and General Grob says he wanted to uncover the traitor in their midst.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:20 pm

acmeruya wrote:Hi Sandi

Thanks for your answer to my question. By 'different interpretations' of songs, I mean that some lines were spoken rather than sung, some sung quite aggressively or with a change of key in various places, some where he really pushes himself and his vocal range much more, in my opinion, than at any other time in the 70's.

If you have heard the infamous "Desert Storm" bootleg, then no further explanation is necessary. If not, it is during this particular show that he has an outburst about stories of him being "strung out", tells the audience details of his divorce and settlement, discusses karate at length, talks about John O'Grady's book, and more.

I enjoyed particularly reading your positive comments about Charlie. I remember in the early 90's going to Memphis with the UK Fan Club/Arena Travel and seeing Charlie sign autographs but there was a charge of around $10 for an autograph. I joked about this with the late Jim Reid who took many quite well-known photographs of Elvis including the first publicity shot and the photo of Elvis and Vernon sitting on the steps at Graceland after the passing of Elvis' mother. The next day Jim had made a sign which he put up as I walked over to him offering his autograph in various sizes. The bigger the autograph, the more expensive. Gave me a good laugh at the time.

Thanks again, Sandi.

Phil

I was actually at the "Desert Storm" show and he was LIVID - both before the show, and during the show - but he'd calmed down considerably by the time he was back upstairs in his suite but you could tell he was still agitated. A few days later you'd never have known he was upset about anything. As for his changing things around in how he sang songs - I don't have an explanation for that one...

Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:32 pm

>>>
If Grob can be trusted to any degree, he says that in the '76/'77 time frame, they would float a "red herring" in an attempt to ferret out the source(s) of stories that were appearing in the press. One in particular that I recall was the account of Elvis' no-show at the Nashville session. Or it might've been Elvis shooting Ginger's tires. In any event, stories were showing up in papers like the Enquirer that were true, and General Grob says he wanted to uncover the traitor in their midst.[/quote]>>>>>

**Interesting! Everyone in the group was very good at protecting anything that went within the walls of ELvis' house when he was alive.....things did get out occasionally (like the rumors of Elvis' marriage days before it happened) so Im sure the red herrings were used from time to time - I just think it is horrible if it was used at the time of Elvis' death . As Elvis would say "I think there's a fungus amongst us"

That reminds me - isn't that time frame (76-77) when the entire Billy Miller story came about with the secret cameras and recordings etc (I think that's his name) I think I'll rename that time frame the James Bond/Columbo era just because of all the crazy stories that came out! :)

Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:39 pm

This is an afterthought - I just remembered someone asked me about concert photos (can't find the post) and asked if they would be in the next BTI and the answer is yes -- some are on the internet but many of them have not been posted anywhere; in fact, some I never gave ANYONE copies of.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:46 pm

DutchLA wrote:This is an afterthought - I just remembered someone asked me about concert photos (can't find the post) and asked if they would be in the next book and the answer is yes -- some are on the internet but many of them have not been posted anywhere; in fact, some I never gave ANYONE copies of.

Great news, and when is this next book in the shops.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:56 pm

DutchLA wrote:This is an afterthought - I just remembered someone asked me about concert photos (can't find the post) and asked if they would be in the next book and the answer is yes -- some are on the internet but many of them have not been posted anywhere; in fact, some I never gave ANYONE copies of.

That was me! Thanks for answering. I wonder what photos are on the internet already

Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:33 pm

DutchLA wrote:
acmeruya wrote:Hi Sandi

Thanks for your answer to my question. By 'different interpretations' of songs, I mean that some lines were spoken rather than sung, some sung quite aggressively or with a change of key in various places, some where he really pushes himself and his vocal range much more, in my opinion, than at any other time in the 70's.

If you have heard the infamous "Desert Storm" bootleg, then no further explanation is necessary. If not, it is during this particular show that he has an outburst about stories of him being "strung out", tells the audience details of his divorce and settlement, discusses karate at length, talks about John O'Grady's book, and more.

I enjoyed particularly reading your positive comments about Charlie. I remember in the early 90's going to Memphis with the UK Fan Club/Arena Travel and seeing Charlie sign autographs but there was a charge of around $10 for an autograph. I joked about this with the late Jim Reid who took many quite well-known photographs of Elvis including the first publicity shot and the photo of Elvis and Vernon sitting on the steps at Graceland after the passing of Elvis' mother. The next day Jim had made a sign which he put up as I walked over to him offering his autograph in various sizes. The bigger the autograph, the more expensive. Gave me a good laugh at the time.

Thanks again, Sandi.

Phil

I was actually at the "Desert Storm" show and he was LIVID - both before the show, and during the show - but he'd calmed down considerably by the time he was back upstairs in his suite but you could tell he was still agitated. A few days later you'd never have known he was upset about anything. As for his changing things around in how he sang songs - I don't have an explanation for that one...

That is what I wanted to know. So, how was it percieved by the fans?
Were people shocked about it and did they talk about it?
What was the consenses here?

Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:46 pm

<<
That is what I wanted to know. So, how was it percieved by the fans?
Were people shocked about it and did they talk about it?
What was the consenses here?[/quote]>>

OK - now I gotcha! I'd have to say yes, people were shocked to hear him rant on stage, and also taken back by his language, but at the end of it - he got a HUGE round of applause from the audience so I'd have to say it was well received. Jann and I went backstage immediately after the show so weren't around to hear comments that might have been floating around in the lobby afterwards. Since he'd been ranting about it all before the show, it didn't come as a surprise that he brought it up onstage...it definately showed another side of ELvis to the audience!

Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:48 pm

sylvain wrote:

Great news, and when is this next book in the shops.

**Should be before the end of this year!

Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:52 pm

lvseas71.jpg

Francesc wrote:

That was me! Thanks for answering. I wonder what photos are on the internet already

**You've probably seen them all over ... one of them Sean Shaver used on the cover of his first book.

Here is another one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:34 am

DutchLA wrote:
lvseas71.jpg

Francesc wrote:

**You've probably seen them all over ... one of them Sean Shaver used on the cover of his first book.

Here is another one

Thanks, great I always like to know who took them if possible. Wasnt some kind a problem between you and Shaver, like he never credited for the photos ...

Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:42 am

DutchLA wrote:
lvseas71.jpg

Francesc wrote:

Here is another one

What a great photo of our guy!

Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:41 pm

great pic indeed.! I love those Las Vegas pictures - Thanks

Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:35 pm

Here is another one[/quote]

Thanks, great I always like to know who took them if possible. Wasnt some kind a problem between you and Shaver, like he never credited for the photos ...[/quote]

** He did credit me in the book somewhere as one of the contributing photographers. My issue with Sean was that the photos were to be used ONLY in that one book - not all his subsequent books, and he never had permission to copy the photos and sell them at events and by mail as his own. Live and learn I guess.

Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:47 pm

Sandi, did you have no problems taking photos in Vegas ?
When you read stories of Shaver he acted just like James Bond when he entered the showroom, and he even had a camera that looked like binoculars. He has some stories about this in his books.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:35 am

Hi Sandi, I'm not sure if this has been addressed here... and I know you were at quite a number of shows in Las Vegas... but do you know or remember Elvis' management or even maybe the Hilton themselves filming shows in LV? I'm thinking that the rumor is that shows were filmed from the balcony. Could you shed any light on this if any professional filming was done on a regular basis in LV other than what we have seen(TTWII)?

JEFF d
EP fan

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:03 am

Hi Sandi :D :D :D.

I´ve just finished reading this fantastic topic 8), I couldn´t do it before. Thank you very much for sharing your memories. I have also a question for you, were you around when Elvis was visited by Tom Jones or The Beatles?. If so, is there anything interesting you can tell us about these two exciting moments?. Bye for now :smt006.

Mike windgren.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:09 am

Hi Sandi,

one question about the studio recording sessions: it has been said that Elvis was so proud about some sessions (1969 for example) or quite disgusted about others. Could you tell us if you got the oportunity to see Elvis right after a recording session and if he would make comment about the material recorded.

Thanks again for sharing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:43 pm

oh what a beautiful picture. How old where you in that pic Sandi?

Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:10 am

Sandi, you've taken a ton of great shots of Elvis, which year would you say he looked the best in?

Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:01 am

8) Terrific thread and pictures Sandi- you were the lucky one actually THEIR!~~ :roll: :wink:

Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Freddy Freeman wrote:Hi Sandi,

You mentioned earlier on in the thread Elvis signing something to you as 'Elvys with a y'. I wonder if you have pictures of some of your favourite mementoes/gifts/keepsakes from Elvis (signed or unsigned) that you might be able to share here with us.

Many thanks!

FF :)

**I'll try to dig some out this weekend and scan some - right now still recovering from family visiting ;)

Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:03 pm

stranger wrote:Sandi, did you have no problems taking photos in Vegas ?
When you read stories of Shaver he acted just like James Bond when he entered the showroom, and he even had a camera that looked like binoculars. He has some stories about this in his books.

**The hotel had "no photos" signs posted as you entered the showroom but no one really paid much attention to them. I know SOME cameras were confiscated from people taking photos , the film removed, and the cameras returned after the show however I never had a problem except for one time when a security person was making his way to where I was sitting (right by the stage) to presumably take my camera and Elvis said "it's ok-let her be" and after that, they not only didn't bother me any longer - but flash stated popping everywhere. They didn't go to much effort to enforce the no photos thing from what I could tell. Maybe if you had huge professional looking cameras' with huge telephoto lenses - then yes, that might cause a problem possibly but personally speaking, it wasn't a problem for me or anyone I knew.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:06 pm

JEFF d wrote:Hi Sandi, I'm not sure if this has been addressed here... and I know you were at quite a number of shows in Las Vegas... but do you know or remember Elvis' management or even maybe the Hilton themselves filming shows in LV? I'm thinking that the rumor is that shows were filmed from the balcony. Could you shed any light on this if any professional filming was done on a regular basis in LV other than what we have seen(TTWII)?

JEFF d
EP fan

**New rumor to me and I can't imagine them filming from the balcony or anywhere else without word leaking out - fans had a way of finding out pretty much everything and we knew alot of the hotel personnel also ... someone would have blabbed (even Elvis for that matter because he couldn't keep anything a secret!)

Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:07 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi Sandi :D :D :D.

I´ve just finished reading this fantastic topic 8), I couldn´t do it before. Thank you very much for sharing your memories. I have also a question for you, were you around when Elvis was visited by Tom Jones or The Beatles?. If so, is there anything interesting you can tell us about these two exciting moments?. Bye for now :smt006.

Mike windgren.

**The Beatles were at the Perugia house before I moved to Calif so missed that historic meeting....however did meet Tom Jones a few times (Hilton) and at the Ilikai Hotel in Hawaii when Elvis had him up to the suite.