In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:04 am

DutchLA wrote:
jeanno wrote:Wonderful stories to read, Sandi. Thanks a lot for sharing them.

You said you received several records from Elvis himself. Anyone from the comeback era (1968-1971) and did he make any comments about them, specially about FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS, THAT´S THE WAY IT IS or ELVIS COUNTRY?

All the best.

I would literally have to haul out the box of LP's to remember which ones came from him - I don't remember comments - just the weird things he wrote on the LP's (he could be such a bugger sometimes) I normally o nly had him sign things for pen pals and friends so I decided one time that *I* needed an autograph so asked him to please sign it to me and added "that's Sandi with an i" So what does he write? " To Sandi with a i from Elvys with a y" HUH?
On another one he simply wrote - "To Sandi from me" I didn't even notice it until I got home. Smart alec! I give up!

LOL --That's such an English word!! Where did you learn that one from?

Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:07 am

Reading through this thread again you can see it started off light hearted and fun -- the questions are getting a little too personal -- I mean Sandi was Elvis' friend and I would hate for her to be put in an awkward situation, but that's just my opinion.

Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:12 am

Dan_T wrote:
Little Darlin wrote:
LOL --That's such an English word!! Where did you learn that one from?

Not so sure about that,John Candy says his "Back hurts like a Bugger" in "Planes,Trains And Automobiles" :D

He did? Well I stand corrected then. Thanks

Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:41 am

DutchLA wrote:
jeanno wrote:Wonderful stories to read, Sandi. Thanks a lot for sharing them.

You said you received several records from Elvis himself. Anyone from the comeback era (1968-1971) and did he make any comments about them, specially about FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS, THAT´S THE WAY IT IS or ELVIS COUNTRY?

All the best.

I would literally have to haul out the box of LP's to remember which ones came from him - I don't remember comments - just the weird things he wrote on the LP's (he could be such a bugger sometimes) I normally o nly had him sign things for pen pals and friends so I decided one time that *I* needed an autograph so asked him to please sign it to me and added "that's Sandi with an i" So what does he write? " To Sandi with a i from Elvys with a y" HUH?
On another one he simply wrote - "To Sandi from me" I didn't even notice it until I got home. Smart alec! I give up!

That is that quirky sense of humor that is consistent with what he would do isn't it?
Did you find that some fans in private or at shows, didn't get Elvis' type of humor?
And of the shows you went to, did you ever witness any of those shows where Elvis
went on a rant about something or someone that was bugging him, and how did it come off in person?
Did people complain or think it was wrong in any way?

Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:24 pm

DutchLA wrote:
jeanno wrote:
Wonderful stories to read, Sandi. Thanks a lot for sharing them.

All the best.

That´s quite funny!!! BTW, Thanks for taking time to answer all our questions.

Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:40 pm

Little Darlin wrote:Reading through this thread again you can see it started off light hearted and fun -- the questions are getting a little too personal -- I mean Sandi was Elvis' friend and I would hate for her to be put in an awkward situation, but that's just my opinion.

I think Sandi is "old and wise enough" to decide what questions she replies to.
It would not be the first time that a friend tells things no friend should tell like Elvis' favourite sex movies, home movies of Priscilla and girlfriends dressed in white panties et al, as mentioned in "Revelations of the Memphis Mafia".

Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:35 pm

Luuk wrote:
Little Darlin wrote:Reading through this thread again you can see it started off light hearted and fun -- the questions are getting a little too personal -- I mean Sandi was Elvis' friend and I would hate for her to be put in an awkward situation, but that's just my opinion.

I think Sandi is "old and wise enough" to decide what questions she replies to
It would not be the first time that a friend tells things no friend should tell like Elvis' favourite sex movies, home movies of Priscilla and girlfriends dressed in white panties et al, as mentioned in "Revelations of the Memphis Mafia".

I'm well aware of that Luuk so please don't start your crap in this thread, thanks very much.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:12 am

A trivial question here,but Sandi you mentioned breifly,earlier in the thread,that Elvis smoked.Was He a heavy smoker?Or was it now and then kind of thing?
Thank you for sharing your memories with us.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:47 am

Little Darlin wrote:
Luuk wrote:

I'm well aware of that Luuk so please don't start your crap in this thread, thanks very much.

Little Darlin', The Moderator!

Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:31 pm

Francesc wrote:
Little Darlin wrote:
Luuk wrote:

Hello francisc :smt006 -- you'd know if I was a mod 8)

Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:57 pm

Francesc wrote:
Little Darlin wrote:
Luuk wrote:

Never mind the fact that she's totally correct in stating the above.

It'd be a shame to think people are looking to stir up trouble in a beautiful thread like this.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:16 pm

Yeh guys, I'm with LD, this is one of the best ever threads on this forum, lets not spoil it please!

Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:59 pm

i wouldn't last a day?

Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:05 pm

Francesc wrote:

i wouldn't last a day?

Not only that, but everytime you annoyed me and made me lose my temper, I'd take 20 posts off you :D

Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:20 pm

Little Darlin wrote:
Francesc wrote:

i wouldn't last a day?

Not only that, but everytime you annoyed me and made me lose my temper, I'd take 20 posts off you :D

:D Ok lets go back to topic .. It is really a great thread ..

Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:49 am

Hi Sandi

I wanted to go back to a question I asked you earlier (although you did touch slightly on an answer in a later reply).

Since Fall '74 is my favourite Elvis period where his performances are fairly frenetic and unpredictable with interpretations of songs quite different from other periods in the seventies, did you notice anything different in his outlook and temperament at this time? I am particularly curious about the time of his outburst about stories he'd been hearing about him being "strung out".

Thanks for some great personal insights.

Phil

Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:48 pm

Thanks... all i want to say.

(Elvys with a y :) )

Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:59 pm

Hi Sandi
Thanks for those great stories. Hope you don't mind another question! What was your reaction on seeing the CBS TV Special in 1977 - were you shocked? Did you feel E looked worse than when you last saw him in '76?
Thanks again!

Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:06 am

Dan_T wrote:
Johnny 99 wrote:Hi Sandi
Thanks for those great stories. Hope you don't mind another question! What was your reaction on seeing the CBS TV Special in 1977 - were you shocked? Did you feel E looked worse than when you last saw him in '76?
Thanks again!

I think Sandi has already stated that she saw Elvis in Palm Springs just before the filming of the CBS Special.

Oops sorry - if I can rephrase my question - What was your reaction on seeing the CBS TV Special in 1977 - were you shocked? Did you feel E looked worse than when you last saw him in Palm Springs? Maybe the make up made him look much worse?

Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:45 pm

I finally found time to read this topic and I now realized that I really mised something very great. Thank you very much Sandi! Marvellous reading!

Kind regards from Sweden!

Björn

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:18 pm

acmeruya wrote:Hi Sandi

I wanted to go back to a question I asked you earlier (although you did touch slightly on an answer in a later reply).

Since Fall '74 is my favourite Elvis period where his performances are fairly frenetic and unpredictable with interpretations of songs quite different from other periods in the seventies, did you notice anything different in his outlook and temperament at this time? I am particularly curious about the time of his outburst about stories he'd been hearing about him being "strung out".

Thanks for some great personal insights.

Phil

**I finally have a moment to catch up.....I guess the only thing I could say here is that his "on stage" not always reflected how he was before or after a show - sometimes things just bugged him to the point where he would have to rant on about it - and then it would be over and he wouldn't dwell on it. I know he was extremely irritated because of things being written about him and people talking about him that he felt was none of their business. Not sure what you mean by different interpretations of songs (?)

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:24 pm

Johnny 99 wrote:
Dan_T wrote:
Thanks again!

I think Sandi has already stated that she saw Elvis in Palm Springs just before the filming of the CBS Special.

Oops sorry - if I can rephrase my question - What was your reaction on seeing the CBS TV Special in 1977 - were you shocked? Did you feel E looked worse than when you last saw him in Palm Springs? Maybe the make up made him look much worse?

**He looked MUCH better in Palm Springs - I hated the make-up job they did on him for the CBS Show - it was too dark and too heavy!!

Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:24 pm

DutchLA wrote:
Johnny 99 wrote:
Dan_T wrote:
Thanks again!

**He looked MUCH better in Palm Springs - I hated the make-up job they did on him for the CBS Show - it was too dark and too heavy!!

Thanks Sandi!

Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:45 am

Dan_T wrote:Sandi,there is a subject that has come up and has been discussed on this board several times over the years,and it's not a nice one,it's the story that Elvis told Kathy Westmoreland that he had Bone Cancer.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this story,but Kathy has claimed that Elvis told her this in 1970,I wonder if you have any thoughts as to why Elvis would have told her such a thing?

Do you think it was a test of "Trust" perhaps?

Dan.

*I have heard more versions and explanations of this whole "bone cancer" story than I can shake a stick at. I've heard it was a red herring to test people within the group to find a leak - I've heard Kathy talk about it, Charlie talk about - heck everyone in the group has their own version based on I don't know what. I'm not even sure any of the stories are accurate or maybe they're a conglomeration of bits and pieces that the people around Elvis deducted on their own, or maybe it's something that Elvis actually said - I really can't say but it's possible that if he (Elvis) was achey in his bones or something, that he might have expressed the* fear* he might have cancer and it just took off from there.

Now the red herring theory - that it was a made up story within the group to see who would leak it to the press - that makes no sense to me because it would just plain be incredibly insensitive to put out a story like that right after Elvis' death .... I *think* I heard somewhere that Vernon wanted the story put out there to see who could be trusted within the group and again - that makes no sense to me because Vernon was out of his mind with grief and not even thinking well (not to mention in horrible health himself) so I seriously doubt he had the mind-set to come up with that.

I personally don't even know what to think . Is it possible he had bone cancer or the beginning of bone cancer? I suppose so but I I doubt we'll ever know for sure . RIght now it seems to be split 50/50 of those in the group and family members...maybe one day the autopsy results will end the speculation.

I will say Elvis was very good at diagnosing symptoms and sometimes got carried away with that so it very well could have been a worry for him and like I said before, he may have just been thinking out loud (and not stating it as a fact) and it took off from there.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:37 am

Hi Sandi

Thanks for your answer to my question. By 'different interpretations' of songs, I mean that some lines were spoken rather than sung, some sung quite aggressively or with a change of key in various places, some where he really pushes himself and his vocal range much more, in my opinion, than at any other time in the 70's.

If you have heard the infamous "Desert Storm" bootleg, then no further explanation is necessary. If not, it is during this particular show that he has an outburst about stories of him being "strung out", tells the audience details of his divorce and settlement, discusses karate at length, talks about John O'Grady's book, and more.

I enjoyed particularly reading your positive comments about Charlie. I remember in the early 90's going to Memphis with the UK Fan Club/Arena Travel and seeing Charlie sign autographs but there was a charge of around $10 for an autograph. I joked about this with the late Jim Reid who took many quite well-known photographs of Elvis including the first publicity shot and the photo of Elvis and Vernon sitting on the steps at Graceland after the passing of Elvis' mother. The next day Jim had made a sign which he put up as I walked over to him offering his autograph in various sizes. The bigger the autograph, the more expensive. Gave me a good laugh at the time.

Thanks again, Sandi.

Phil