In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Re: vic's book on the years spent making the 23 bootlegs

Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:42 am

Happy birthday Vic. Stay focused and persevere because your story is an important one. With all the crap that has been published related to Elvis over the years, certainly the subject matter you are focusing on is worthy of mass-publication.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:34 am

vince asked about number of pages.

i am just starting what took place in 1980, our last year. the book is 198 pages thus far, 28 chapters. amazingly, each chapter is seven pages save one that is nine. i guess i'm dividing the story up into equal-sized chunks.

photos? i have a fellow who is a graphic artist working on that end. we'll do our best to get it published. i have a hunch it will be. i'll be as relentless pursuing a publisher as paul and i were in tracking down unreleased elvis material. we did o.k. in that regard, should be able to summon up the old drive one more time.

i'm trying to make this as interesting and readable as i possibly can. it is an interesting story. how in the heck did two guys ever come up with enough unreleased material to fill 19 single lps, three double lps, and a four-lp box set?

the material came from places you'd never suspect or expect. we got lucky. but, as i've always said:

luck is when preparation meets opportunity. oh yeah, timing is nice. we did happen to be in the right place at the right time. about 50 different times.

did we have any competition? not really, because no one was going to outdo us was our battle cry.

gee, now that i think about it, i guess ernst and ftd have outdone us. i wonder why he never sent us a thank you card? we showed him the way.

just kidding. ernst is a great guy. let me in the henhouse and i'll give you foxier cds than you've ever seen. oops, i'm retired. i don't do that any more. i just write about it.

see what you have to look forward to in your old age? memories and memoirs. would i trade those experiences for anything else if i could? only when the meek inherit the earth, and that will only be when the last predator dies and if he states so in his will.

back to telling the tale. i'm having fun, can you tell? sometimes it writes itself, sometimes i have to do it again and again to get it right. whatever. i sure hope this thing can get to you all via a publisher in a nice bound volume.

here comes march. should be finished writing by the end of april. it depends on how much time school takes up. i take a couple writing and literature courses every semester so the brain doesn't atrophy. believe me, my brain cells need all the stimulation i can give them. both of them.

best to you all. thanks for your interest

Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:26 am

I hope you use caps in your book :P

Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:54 am

francesc said, "i hope you use caps in your book."

golly, of course i will. i don't bother with emails and posts since it is quicker and conventions went down the drain with the Internet (capitalized).

oh, by the way, i do have an uncapitalized version in english. the one with proper punctuation, grammar, spelling, and all according to, "The Chicago Book of Style" is in ancient sumerian. i mean Ancient Sumerian.

actually, there is only one copy like that. it is for you, francesc.

who says i don't care about the fans?

before you i was less than nothing. without you i am less than nothing. thanks to you i can claim nothingness status.

if you read this far, and i can't imagine there are many of you that qualify, you get a reward. here is the synopsis i am sending to potential publishers. yeah, it's lots of hype, but that's what i need to do. the real book is actually perfect for those who have trouble getting to sleep. it can also be used to housebreak your dog. and for those of you with birds i have a gilded version that fits the bottom perfectly. no cutting or folding necessary (standard size cages only)

SYNOPSIS

“THE ELVIS BOOTLEG RECORDS STORY”

(How Vic Colonna made 23 Fabulous, Illegal Elvis LPs for Fun, Profit, & One to Five)

After almost thirty years, Sam Theaker (a.k.a. Vic Colonna) tells the amazing story of how he and his partner, Paul Dowling, became folk heroes in the Elvis World by single–handedly creating and marketing twenty-three legendary, definitive, and totally illegal Elvis Presley records!

“The Elvis Bootleg Records Story” begins with the FBI’s arrival at Sam’s record store to arrest him for making bootleg records. Looking back from that dramatic day, Sam gives us a broad overview of his background: from growing up in suburban Connecticut during the dawn of rock ‘n’ roll, his life–altering experiences as a long–range reconnaissance medic in Vietnam and subsequent return home, his attempted readjustment to civilian life, his marriage to Vicki, to his rekindled interest in Elvis Presley’s music, and the astounding coincidences that led him inexorably to a full–time career as the mastermind behind the most wonderful series of Elvis records ever made.

But, when Elvis dies suddenly in the summer of 1977, overnight Sam and Paul find themselves running the most successful, illegitimate record company on the planet! The money is pouring in, they have Nipper by the tail, but the burning question is: how much longer can this go on before RCA and the industry moguls send their hired guns to introduce Sam and Paul to a whole new version of “Jailhouse Rock?”

Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:03 am

actually, there is only one copy like that. it is for you, francesc.

Since I live in California, I hope I can come by and you can sign it for me ... in lower case of course. :P

Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:41 pm

viccolonna@gmail.com wrote:SYNOPSIS

“THE ELVIS BOOTLEG RECORDS STORY”

(How Vic Colonna made 23 Fabulous, Illegal Elvis LPs for Fun, Profit, & One to Five)

After almost thirty years, Sam Theaker (a.k.a. Vic Colonna) tells the amazing story of how he and his partner, Paul Dowling, became folk heroes in the Elvis World by single–handedly creating and marketing twenty-three legendary, definitive, and totally illegal Elvis Presley records!

“The Elvis Bootleg Records Story” begins with the FBI’s arrival at Sam’s record store to arrest him for making bootleg records. Looking back from that dramatic day, Sam gives us a broad overview of his background: from growing up in suburban Connecticut during the dawn of rock ‘n’ roll, his life–altering experiences as a long–range reconnaissance medic in Vietnam and subsequent return home, his attempted readjustment to civilian life, his marriage to Vicki, to his rekindled interest in Elvis Presley’s music, and the astounding coincidences that led him inexorably to a full–time career as the mastermind behind the most wonderful series of Elvis records ever made.

But, when Elvis dies suddenly in the summer of 1977, overnight Sam and Paul find themselves running the most successful, illegitimate record company on the planet! The money is pouring in, they have Nipper by the tail, but the burning question is: how much longer can this go on before RCA and the industry moguls send their hired guns to introduce Sam and Paul to a whole new version of “Jailhouse Rock?”

Man, now that is a great way to advertise a book. That is like an ad for the new Hollywood thriller, and it would be a sell out for months.

How many companies you sent this Vic??

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:38 am

hi francesc,

a fellow californian. of course. thanks for putting a smile on my ugly puss.

when this book gets published (the power of positive thinking), you will not have to do a thing but go to your mailbox. you get a signed copy sent to you by me. just like the old days. the best part is, i will do the packaging and shipping myself. ergo, when it arrives it will be "untouched by human hands."

i am waiting to hear from a publisher who requested a synopsis and sample chapters. if that is positive then the next thing is finalizing details. if not, then i have a couple others i have held off contacting because this one got right back to me when i sent out "teasers" to four publishers.

we shall see.

the BIG NEWS is that i have fellow who is a highly skilled graphic artist that is working on the book. all the layout, whatever those folks do. he takes my word document and makes it look like a real book. photos, cover, the whole ball of wax. this could be appealing to the publisher, saving them work.

i am busy in the evenings building a shrine to this man out in my back yard. i have a really large back yard. it stretches all the way from the bridge i sleep under to the river's edge. a bit marshy, often damp, but hey, it's home.

i can see myself now, standing in the library, gazing at the shelf. there is my book alongside other world famous authors. people like...

well, like...

okay, the only one that comes to mind is Snoopy.

woof

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:51 am

Things are looking good sam! Make sure you don't catch cold under that bridge now

woof

Snoopy :smt005