In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

vic's book on the years spent making the 23 bootlegs

Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:54 am

hi everyone,

i have been writing away for the last couple months and the story is moving right along. i am nearing the end of 1978 and there are so many tales left to tell! it was hectic, it was fun, and it was unbelievable as i look back. you'll see what i mean.

how busy were we?

put it this way: from jan. '78 to dec. '80 we released SEVENTEEN LPs! two of those were doubles and one a 4-lp box set. design, negatives, liner notes, mastering, pressing, distribution, advertising, and the myriad of other details.

that's an album every two months for three years. from conception to completion. and i was running around getting the material for those lps at the same time. not like we had it all sitting there.

NOW I NEED HELP FROM SOMEONE OUT THERE.

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THIS BOOK GET PUBLISHED BY A REAL PUBLISHER. DOES ANYONE KNOW SOMEONE THAT MIGHT TAKE A LOOK AT IT WHO IS CONNECTED TO THE PUBLISHING INDUSTRY?

you'll get the book one way or another, if i have to email it to everyone. sure would be nice to see it come out and be in bookstores.

needless to say, any assistance will be rewarded. name your price. (please, don't go over $9.99)

HOPING ONE OF YOU FANS HAS AN "IN"

back to the writing.

thanks, vic

Re: vic's book on the years spent making the 23 bootlegs

Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:06 am

Hi Vic,

I can't help you with a publishing deal, but i wanted to say that 1) I am slowly tracking down your records [was about 1 year old when they were released originally] and they are mighty cool, 2) your interview in The Man And His Music recently totally ruled, and 3) I am really looking forward to your book and I hope it will get the attention it deserves.

If I were you, I'd get in contact with Helter Skelter Publishing who specializes in music books and have published many of them over the years, including memoirs by groupies and biographies on really obscure bands. Maybe they can find a place for your smokin' story too.

http://www.helterskelterbooks.com/

I wish you luck.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:40 pm

Maybe PRAYTOME could be interested too... :?:

Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:42 pm

I hope you get a publisher.
You better have some good pic's of all those albums!

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:50 pm

Vic,..try praytome publishing....

http://www.behind-the-image.de/

Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:53 pm

That's a very cool link Keith Richards Jnr.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:16 pm

Anyone read this? Elvis related.

http://www.helterskelterbooks.com/item.asp?id=3611

Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:21 pm

Hi,

Omnibus press in United Kingdom ?

http://www.omnibuspress.com/

They released the famous "Bootleg !" book, and the "U2 : a concert documentary" :

http://www.omnibuspress.com/Default.asp ... 3135=57831

In France you can maybe contact Le Camion Blanc :
http://www.camionblanc.com/

See You

Vince

Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:51 pm

What about Tutti Frutti Productions Amsterdam
I think Ger can make a hell of a book from this one.
Maybe he can do some additions too.
Would be great.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:34 pm

if I was in the position to help Sam ( Vic) I wouldnt
hesitate for a minute. After all he and I had some
great times together, back in the late 70s and
early 80s. Problem is, Im no longer active in
the publishing biz, and dont wanna make a come
back. Not even if I was offered 200 unpublished
photos of Elvis from the 50s. I truely admire
Sam's writing skills... but it's gonna be tough
finding a publisher for his creative output in
this day and age... Hope he will strike a deal.
He deserves it.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:13 am

Isn't it possible to publish it through an online "publish it yourself" book publisher?
People can order from them and pay to them after which they print a copy and send it to the customer.
They pay a fee for every copy sold to the writer. The writer can set his own selling price.
In the Netherlands you can publish a book yourself through www.calbona.nl

Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:20 am

There is an American-based self-publishing outfit (perhaps not the only one) that a friend of mine took advantage of a few years ago. You pay a certain amount but then can make up a pretty small batch and sell them yourself.

The name escapes me at the moment.

I'd prefer to think that one of those companies mentioned above will want to publish such a book and hopefully others.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:48 am

WELL, WELL, WELL. THOSE FINE FOLKS AT THE FECC FORUM HAVE GOTTEN OUT THEIR SCISSORS AND "(deleted - see guidelines #9)" APPEARS IN PLACE OF SOME INFORMATION THAT YOU FINE FOLKS HAVE SENT TO ME.

CENSORSHIP IS ALIVE AND WELL. OR ALIVE AND SICK, TAKE YOUR PICK.

PERHAPS THEY WON'T CENSOR THIS:

for those who had their message excised, kindly send the info directly to my email address:

viccolonna@gmail.com

let's hope they allow me to post that.

let me see, norway's not too far from fecc headquarters. if necessary i shall contact Thor and get him to give them a hammering.

hey, you guys censoring the messages:

GIMME A BREAK. I'M TRYING TO GET THIS BOOK OUT TO EVERYONE.

THANKS, VIC

Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:05 am

I SEE A COUPLE LEADS AND I THANK THOSE WHO TOOK THE TIME TO HELP. I WILL CONTACT EVERYONE SUGGESTED AND CROSS MY FINGERS. ALL 22 OF THEM.

THE PROBLEM WITH SELF-PUBLISHING IS THAT I WOULD LIKE TO INCLUDE PHOTOS OF ALL THE ALBUMS. THAT WOULD ADD SIGNIFICANTLY TO THE TOTAL COST. IF THAT WERE UNDERWRITTEN/BORNE BY A PUBLISHER WHO HAS AN IN-HOUSE GRAPHICS DEPARTMENT THEIR COST WOULD BE NEGLIGIBLE. PLUS, I'D LOVE TO SEE THE BOOK IN LIBRARIES AND BOOKSTORES.

I'LL KEEP WRITING, JUST PLUG AWAY AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.

IF I EXHAUST ALL POSSIBILITIES AND MY QUEST PROVES FRUITLESS, THEN I HAVE THE SATISFACTION OF KNOWING I WROTE THE STORY FOR MY CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN.

AS FOR THE REST OF YOU. I SAID IT AND I MEANT IT:

I WILL EXPLORE THE POSSIBILITY OF SELF-PUBLISHING AS A LAST RESORT. IF IT IS FINANCIALLY FEASIBLE I WILL GO THAT ROUTE.

IF NOT, FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED I'LL JUST EMAIL THE DURN THING TO YOU AS AN ATTACHMENT. YOU WON'T GET PIX OF ALL THE ALBUMS, BUT THEY CAN BE FOUND ON THE NET. YOU WON'T GET ALL THE TRACK LISTINGS AND INFO AS TO WHERE THEY CAME FROM, BUT THAT IS IN LEE COTTEN'S BOOK "JAILHOUSE ROCK" AND ONE OF YOU OUT THERE HAS A SCANNER AND CAN POST THE INFORMATION.

HEY, IF I EMAIL THE BOOK, SOMEONE HAS TO PICK UP THE BALL AND TAKE IT ACROSS THE GOAL LINE.

BOTTOM LINE:

YOU WILL GET TO READ THIS STORY. ALL OF YOU WHO WOULD LIKE TO. EVERY LITTLE CROOK AND NANNY.

I'LL BE 65 ON MONDAY, THE 16TH OF FEBRUARY. THE BOOK WILL BE DONE IN A COUPLE MONTHS. IF I CAN'T FIND A PUBLISHER BY THE TIME I'M 66, THEN I'LL BE DOING SOME SERIOUS EMAILING.

OH YEAH, I HAVE A BAD TICKER. THAT'S THE BAD NEWS. THE GOOD NEWS IS THIS MEANS I PROBABLY WON'T DIE OF CANCER.

SO, DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE OLD MAN MAKING IT. IF MY CLOCK STOPS I HAVE A COUPLE FRIENDS WHO HAVE BEEN GETTING THE CHAPTERS AS I COMPLETE THEM. AND ALL THE REVISIONS. AND THE CORRECTIONS. AND THE CHANGES. THOSE POOR SLOBS.

LUCKY YOU WILL GET ONLY THE FINAL VERSION. SOMEONE WILL GET IT OUT IF I AM WHISKED OFF THIS MORTAL COIL TO HAVE AN AUDIENCE WITH "THE MAN IN THE SKY."

HEY, YOU GUYS AND GALS LIKED WHAT WE DID, MADE IT FUN, STILL REMEMBER. THE VERY LEAST I CAN DO IS TAKE YOU BEHIND THE SCENES DURING THOSE YEARS AND GIVE YOU, AS PAUL HARVEY SAID, "THE REST OF THE STORY."

THANKS, VIC

Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:25 am

Hey VIc, I hope you have a great birthday and hope you don't have any health problems.

I would like to thank you for all your work in making this book, I wasn't around when you were making these fantastic boots and paving the way for Madison etc but this is one of the most interesting books I have read about and it is going to be great to read all the stories you have to share with us and am very interested in how you guys acquired the tapes you used in your releases.

I would much prefer to see your book on the shelves rather than on-line so it will get a wider audience with people who are not in the Elvis world on-line but if that is not possible anything is welcome. Hey, I'd buy it on toilet paper if that was the only way (ever thought of that medium?? :lol: ).

Ben.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:01 am

Hi,

Vic by any chance do you have an idea of the number of chapters/pages (including pictures) the book may be ? Also did you already thought of the size of the book ? A4 (21x30), A5 (15x21) ? I suppose that some pictures would be in color ?
Just to check the prices we can have in France for example (maybe other fans can try that too in their country ?).

See You

Vince

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:53 pm

viccolonna@gmail.com wrote:I'LL BE 65 ON MONDAY, THE 16TH OF FEBRUARY.

Happy birthday Vic !
Hope you and your family will have a beautiful day !!

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:13 pm

Happy birthday, Vic!

I'd be surprised if you don't get a deal eventually. After all it seems your book is not only of interest to Elvis fans but also to other music fans and to people who are into hard-boiled action in general! :wink:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:17 pm

Happy Birthday, Vic! Have a great day.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:09 pm

Happy Birthday Vic!

:smt113

Rich

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:14 pm

Happy Birthday, Vic!

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:23 am

A belatedly happy birthday, Vic!

What you're documenting is a terrific spotlight on a key aspect of the Elvis world, if somewhat under-appreciated...right now.

Keep at it and keep the spirit you're showing ..!

-Greg

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:52 am

Vic has an amazing story -- actually, many amazing stories -- to share.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:08 am

viccolonna@gmail.com wrote:I'LL BE 65 ON MONDAY, THE 16TH OF FEBRUARY.
THANKS, VIC

A day late, but Happy Birthday VIC.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:19 am

Fantastic stuff, Vic!

Publisher or no publisher!

Given the choice, I'd much rather have a physical copy in my hand -- and I'm sure that goes for most people.

But with this e-book/e-reader phenomenom taking off, you may have another route to go down a few years from now ...

Happy Birthday, too! At the rate these messages are pouring in, you might as well celebrate for the rest of the year. :D