a tough year

In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
viccolonna@gmail.com
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

a tough year

Post by viccolonna@gmail.com »

hi all,

2008 turned into an ordeal. i was moving right along, writing the book, and my laptop got stolen. plus, i wasn't feeling as perky as usual. i got a new laptop and it worked properly for about four weeks and has spent four months being fixed.

so, the book writing went on the back burner. i battled to keep up with school assignments, and was starting to feel really run-down.

turned out that what i thought was respiratory problems was actually congestive heart failure. spent a couple weeks in the hospital.

back to normal. writing again. this durn book will be done by june or my name isn't wilhem b. throckmorton IV.

did an interview with elvis information network last year and it can be found at:

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/interview_vic_colonna.html

another interview just got published in the quarterly, "elvis, the man and his music"

to subscribe, or to get just that issue, go to http://www.nowdigthis.co.uk

happy new year,

vic

what could have been work was fun thanks to the fans

londonflash
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: a tough year

Post by londonflash »

Happy New Year, Vic.

Hope you're on the mend and that 2009 turns out better for you.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Nice to see you back again. Hope you're feeling A OK now :wink:

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hope you're feeling better Vic[toria] Colonna :wink: (I loved your interview in TM&HM :D

Eddie
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Eddie »

Damn, a tough year indeed, best wishes for this year and take care of yourself first, the rest can take care of itself.

I got you melancholy baby, built like a melon face like a collie.

Old Shep
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by Old Shep »

Happy new Year, Vic. Hope 2009 will be a a better and great year for you and everyone. I am really enjoying your contributions and articles to this wonderful mb here. By the way, a great interview in ETMAHM. I can´t wait for reading your book!

O.S.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Rock on, Vic!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

mjsantafe
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by mjsantafe »

Vic,
I am really looking forward to reading your book.
Thank you for sharing the link to your interview. It was a very entertaining read and fun to see those LP covers again from the "good old days" of Elvis collecting.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Happy New Year Vic! loved your man & music article and REALLY looking forward to your book, take it easy and have a great 2009!~ 8)

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

daz cav
Registered for: 19 years

Post by daz cav »

Happy new year Vic And all the very best for 2009!!

LonnieBeale

Post by LonnieBeale »

Nice to have you back Vic and happy new year,
Oh and I'd like to order the ROCKIN REBEL for $9.98, and ELVIS ON TOUR on betamax for $80.00.

At least I know horses, and the ones with long ears are usually jackasses.

stranger
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by stranger »

Happy new year Vic !

I just bought the book Jailhouse Rock, The Bootleg Records of Elvis Presley 1970-1983 on Ebay.
It brings back sweet memories.
Those were the times when you were really excited about for instance a not so good audience recording. Nowadays everything has to be perfect.
There is a great introduction in this book about the history of bootlegs and the ones you released were among the best ever released.

I am really looking forward to your book too. I'm curious about your story.

splanky

Post by splanky »

Hi Sam ,
A Happy New Year to you and your family.

Nice to see that you have recovered nicely . We are all very much looking forward to reading more about your adventures and experiences.

Best always,
Splanky

Topic author
viccolonna@gmail.com

Hello all,

Thanks, Lonnie, for making me smile. We'll be glad to ship the first part of your order promptly upon receipt of payment. Prices, always subject to change, have changed. "The Rockin' Rebel" album is now mailed directly from Antarctica and costs fifteen penguins. As for the second part, videotapes are no more, all is now available on DVD. These are only available over-the-counter at our Greenland outlet store.

Thanks for the nice words, "stranger." I just might use or paraphrase a couple things you said in the book.

i am currently working on chapter 16, telling the story of "The Rockin' Rebel" LP (nice timing, Lonnie), and this is the moment in time where hours and hours and hours of unreleased video and audio wind up in Vic's grubby little paws.

I edited and revised the first fifteen chapters and stuck a fork in them. I need to add a bio at the very beginning and am working on that pack of lies now. I think I'll make Vic tall, dark, handsome, and really stupid.

There will be an appendix with pictures, track listings, and commentary on all 23 albums.

Speaking of pictures, my son, Patrick, found a nice one of the family in early 1980. I would attach it here if I knew how. Alas, I'm all thumbs with computers except for Word and iTunes.

However, thanks to granddaughter Kaitlyn's urging, I am now on Facebook as Sam Theaker. Signed up yesterday. Today I will have Kaitlyn post that family photo there. If I see her. You try and find a fourteen year old on a weekend. Even if I find her, I can't catch her any longer. I may be old, but I'm slow. Give it until tomorrow at the latest before looking.

Back to the book. As a good friend said, "You only get one chance to tell your story and you have to look at the finished version and know that if you bought it you would be happy with your purchase." Yikes! That translates as, "Do a good job or you'll find yourself hanging from a tall oak tree."

Tip-top 2009 to everyone,

Vic

ric of greensboro
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by ric of greensboro »

vic justed wanted to say thanks for all the great hours that you gave me in the 80's

Topic author
viccolonna@gmail.com

1980fam.gif
just tried to attach photo. doubt i succeeded.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
viccolonna@gmail.com

omigod, i did it. i better go to church and light a candle. somebody up there likes me.

Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

Somebody down here likes you too, Vic. Rock on!

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Vic,..I read your interview in EMM...awesome stuff...yeah..it was you who gave us these happiest hours in our lifes back in the 70`s and 80`s..today we are complaining about bad sounding soundboards...back then we were happy to have snippets from Jambalaya on vinyl taken from a tape recorder..looking forward to your book with all these precious memories.....man..you are a legend..!!!

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

stranger
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by stranger »

Ciscoking wrote:today we are complaining about bad sounding soundboards...back then we were happy to have snippets from Jambalaya on vinyl taken from a tape recorder..looking forward to your book with all these precious memories.....man..you are a legend..!!!
Exactly my thoughts.

btw.
Nice picture Vic.

tcb4
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by tcb4 »

happy good year vic - whoever you are :mrgreen:

Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

viccolonna@gmail.com wrote:

However, thanks to granddaughter Kaitlyn's urging, I am now on Facebook as Sam Theaker. Signed up yesterday. Today I will have Kaitlyn post that family photo there. If I see her. You try and find a fourteen year old on a weekend. Even if I find her, I can't catch her any longer. I may be old, but I'm slow. Give it until tomorrow at the latest before looking.

Vic
Ha! You are funny sam! Don't tell 'em who I am on Facebook -- I'm undercover on there :lol:

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Happy New Year Vic, hope everything works out well for you and your family!

Topic author
viccolonna@gmail.com

Just noticed I thanked "stranger" for "Cisco King's" writing. Well, no one ever accused me of paying attention. Sorry about that, Cisco. Please don't tell Pancho.

This writing thing is keeping me busy. Walker Percy said, "Good writing is a minor trick. Like blowing smoke out your ears and expanding one's neck like a puff adder at the same time." Ah, could that man ever write!

Fortunately, I am blessed with an excellent memory. I can recall those days in vivid detail.

In writing this story, there are parts where it flows. I just sit down and hammer out what happened.

At other moments, such as right now, while writing about the Burbank sessions, it is one of those times where i write a few lines and then get up and walk around for a bit.

I have to get it all straight in my mind, and there are so many little, important details. I must be sure i don't skip anything; be careful to put it all in the correct chronological order.

For example, with the Burbank:

We got the videos from Travis, he got them from Andy, Andy worked at the place that NBC used for duplicating, we copied the audio, Ritz got proof sheets of unpublished photos from NBC archives, Ritz wrote the liner notes, Virginia Coombs supplied the tickets, we copied the Audifon label, we made a sticker to go on the shrink wrap, some LPs had the front cover where Elvis' face was too red, etc.

And, I have to tell about all that in a readable, coherent format that is interesting and not confusing.

And at the same time as this album was being put together, I was tracking down the engineers from the old days of Radio Recorders to see if any of them had outtakes.

Criminy, I was busy. While that was going on I was filling and shipping orders, sending out catalogues, keeping inventory straight, buying new merchandise, reordering what we were running low on, and giving two toddlers a bath every night before reading them a story. No wonder it was late summer of 1978 before we took our first vacation in three years.

I'm tired just thinking about it. Time for a nap.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Hey Vic, Health and Happiness for Now and the Future.
Barry