Alternate cover art done by fans

From Elvis In Memphis - Work in Progress - Updated 19.02.15

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:15 pm

Forum member EPA4368 suggested working on the "From Elvis In Memphis" album, and as I had recently made a mono vinyl rip of the album, I thought it would be fun to work on alternate designs.

Generally I tend to use the fonts and logos from the original design, but with this one I have tried some new, albeit retro, designs too. It would be interesting to know which ones you prefer.

PREVIEWS-copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rockinrebel on Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis - Work in Progress

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:49 pm

fabulous
we can have
separate each covers ?

Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:03 am

I like the 3rd one.
and the very middle one for sure.

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:22 am

The one with The Memphis Boys on the front.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:40 pm

And in another world ...

FEIM Covers.jpg

FEIM Covers2.jpg

FEIM Covers3.jpg

FEIM Covers4.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:42 pm

... a few more .. just for fun, I guess ...

FEIM Covers6.jpg

FEIM Covers7.jpg

Nice topic, thanks, hope you don't mind me barging in.

Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:07 pm

Thanks for the replies folks. I think the one in the blue shirt (Change of Habit) is a keeper, and I also intend to finish the one with the American band on it, as this was one of my reasons for starting the project in the first place.

You've got some great ideas there too George. Re: the Elvis photos, I like the Change of Habit shot with the jacket and also the b/w '68 special shot. I do like the idea of having cover art that doesn't feature Elvis though, as many of his albums did tend to look the same, even though the designs were much better from 68 - 71, and I really like your final design too. It's somehow in keeping with the range of American music featured on the album, Elvis 'finding his way home', and the social commentary of In The Ghetto, which follows on from If I Can Dream and Elvis' feelings around the assassination of Martin Luther King the previous year.

Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:29 am

Wow! Awesome work again, rockinrebel!

You're certainly making it tough to pick one…

Love the blue shirt (Change of Habit)…

but my first choice goes to the American band…

Always thought RCA missed another key opportunity not releasing the Memphis sessions as a two album set gatefold back in June '69.

When they had the chance again in '87, how they came up with this artwork I'll never know…

Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:51 am

EPA4368 wrote:Wow! Awesome work again, rockinrebel!

You're certainly making it tough to pick one…

Love the blue shirt (Change of Habit)…

but my first choice goes to the American band…

Always thought RCA missed another key opportunity not releasing the Memphis sessions as a two album set gatefold back in June '69.

When they had the chance again in '87, how they came up with this artwork I'll never know…

Thanks, glad you like them. I have done some more work since my original post, so watch this space for the updates :)

Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:43 pm

rockinrebel wrote: Thanks, glad you like them. I have done some more work since my original post, so watch this space for the updates :)

Can't wait to see it!

It's like turning back the hands of time.

When FEIM was originally released back in '69, it didn't get the airplay it deserved. And, unfortunately, Back In Memphis is buried with a live album (From Memphis to Vegas).

The latter mentioned by Chicago DJ's and fans blasting Elvis for opening in Vegas vs. a major city in US. Many thought: Elvis should've opened in his hometown, played a few major US cities and then overseas.

Have to keep in mind, at the time, Vegas was not considered a place for Elvis but Sinatra and his rat pack. Unfortunately, good news and bad news: Elvis changed that perception.

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:08 am

Wow, I can't wait for this one!

Rebel: I like the cover with Elvis and the red guitar the best.

George: The cover with Elvis in the garden is great. Very 1969-ish.

And I do like the idea of the theme of the cover being social commentary to fit In The Ghetto.

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:16 am

Austin wrote:George: The cover with Elvis in the garden is great. Very 1969-ish.

And I do like the idea of the theme of the cover being social commentary to fit In The Ghetto.

Thank you, Austin, that's very kind.

Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:41 am

George Smith wrote:And in another world ...

FEIM Covers.jpg

The first one. If I hadn't been sitting down, I would be on the floor right now.

(He actually said the words, quickly, in LALLAL. "I am a man; if you were a woman, you'd know . . ." And then they make out, off camera.)

But he said it. Real fast. King was shot and killed in Memphis when he made that film. No way of knowing if someone squeezed that in. I like to think so, just in my own mind.

But how bold and brave a statement it could have been! To say: please forget the past 6-7 years; if you cannot, I will try to MAKE YOU forget it. Because {album art}.

I think it works as a title; I don't know if any other album dared to do that. But that is what is the grooves. In every song. Why not say it, show it? That is why he came back when he did, after all, to sing only what he "believed in," as he promised Steve. He was telling him: you are wrong, I am strong enough. I am a man. Now.

The others are cool too. Thank you. Thank everyone!

rjm
P.S. -- My fantasy, not near as good, was a gatefold, with brand new Wertheimer photos of Elvis walking the streets of Memphis in early 1969. All b&w. Bending down to examine the rubble, leaning against walls with one foot up, looking at old haunts, chatting with Mr. Lansky . . . day, and night photos.

Sent via mobile

Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:58 am

Such a step (only if he had a different manager, of course) would have angered many. "Who does he think he is?" I believe Jesse Jackson did criticize "In The Ghetto." But so what? These marchers were among the most desperately poor; Elvis was born and grew up in often desperate poverty. His father was sent to a chain gang for "a hunger crime." He had a right, like few others. Now, he didn't care for interviews which pried into his past. His father's "shame" was never revealed as long as Vernon lived. So, all we got was the picturesque poverty of the Elvis Country cover. Glad for that, I guess. That's all we were going to get.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:42 pm

this is excellent work.
steve

Re: From Elvis In Memphis - Work in Progress - Updated

Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:05 am

MORE-PREVS2.jpg

MORE-PREVS.jpg

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:05 am

Amazing as always! Can't wait. ::rocks

Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:48 pm

AMAZING!

Love how you used the background with newspaper headlines/articles!

Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:46 pm

Thanks again for the kind comments folks. Work is ongoing, and I will keep you all updated via this page.

Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:00 am

Great creative ideas and craftsmanship!

Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:34 am

EPA4368 wrote:AMAZING!

Love how you used the background with newspaper headlines/articles!

This one is a beauty! Superb. Only thing I would change is the title. "Elvis Presley: Memphis Dreams"

Otherwise, this one is perfect. I might print that baby out!

rjm

Sent via my most phabulous phablet, the Galaxy Note 4

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:56 pm

Thanks again to everyone for their input. The project has been evolving a little as the design process continues. Now there will be alternate sleeves for both From Elvis In Memphis and Back In Memphis, along with a newly created double studio set from the American Sessions.

I have discussed the idea of the double album with other fans, and we all feel that this is something that should have been considered by RCA at the time.

Anyway, I have had to proceed with the Back In Memphis artwork so that I can make sense of which montages are best suited to each individual album.

Finally, a word about the images. I'm sure most of us have images saved dating back years, and I'm no different. However, when working on a new project. I always use the picture section of this site, google images, and facebook pages such as Elvis Pictures, and Elvis Videos and Documentaries etc.

For this particular project I have also used some colourised shots which I have had saved for some time now. These images were credited to Harry Chavez, and I think Harry was also responsible for a colourised shot from the rehearsals for the Sinatra Show which was used for one of my Elvis Is Back! designs last year too.

Therefore, I would like to credit Harry here for the excellent work that went into colourising these shots, and I will repeat this on my blog when the final designs are uploaded.

Here are some previews for the Back In Memphis designs:

PREVSHEET-copy.jpg

Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:36 pm

i love this one awesome work ::rocks

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:24 am

This was a nice surprise.

That one in the middle, is it the earliest photo of Elvis wearing his sunglasses?

Excellent work overall!

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:33 am

Really awesome work! And thanks for sharing here. ::rocks