Alternate cover art done by fans

How to make alternate cover art??

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:37 pm

Hi!
I've just got Adobe Photoshop CS, and I was wondering how to make alternate CD covers...
How do you make them? What program do you use? And if any of you use Photoshop, would you please tell me how to get started?

Bjorn

Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:56 am

here's a site with a basic starter for working on dvd covers via photoshop, it will at least get you started, hope it helps...

http://www.incomplete.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/covers.html

Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:15 pm

I just started with this.
I downloaded a free program, Dataline Label Software 3.0, from http://www.esseltedataline.com. What I particularly liked about it, was that you can adjust printer position, so that also the CD label comes out correct when printing.
A con would be that the program can only save the covers in its own file format. I found no way to save them as jpg.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:38 am

R.R.Police: Thanks for the tip..

Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:49 am

can u translate that to english :lol:

Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:34 am

Well, as a matter of fact, you need all three of them, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, that is.

Or to be more general: you need a bitmap oriented retouche software (well, what is usually called an image editing software, mainly for the shots of Elvis), a drawing software (for logos, a graphic title, and everything that demands clear and crisp lines) and a layout software (for the tracklist, liner notes and other text-extensive tasks).

Nowadays, Photoshop has grown so powerful that you can do all those tasks in just software, for the start, at least. (Ron; I love Illustrator, but your comment suggests that it can replace Photoshop in the process of cover designing, but I am sure you cannot have meant it that way).

I use all three proggies, but usually assemble and put together all the parts in Photoshop in order to create a jpg-file that can be used by almost everyone.

However, apart from all these technical issues, the most important thing that you must have is an idea.