Gamma Master’s custom covers

Alternate cover art done by fans

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

CountCanada
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Gamma Master’s custom covers

Post by CountCanada »

Looks like I have some healthy competition...lol Great work, Gamma Master!!

Topic author
Gamma Master
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by Gamma Master »

So I decided I wasn't satisfied with the job the folks at EP collectors did on their upcoming release 'flying in twice' so I thought I'd have a crack at it myself.
I've done a cover for the set and a cover for each show, they all follow the same format, just with a different picture and different details (for when I set the cover art when I rip them to iTunes)
flyingintwicecdcover.png
flyingintwicecd1.png
flyingintwicecd2.png
Hope you guys like them! ::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Every opinion is my own, unless stated otherwise.

I overuse brackets as well

rockinrebel
Registered for: 21 years

Post by rockinrebel »

Gamma Master wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:16 am
So I decided I wasn't satisfied with the job the folks at EP collectors did on their upcoming release 'flying in twice' so I thought I'd have a crack at it myself.
I've done a cover for the set and a cover for each show, they all follow the same format, just with a different picture and different details (for when I set the cover art when I rip them to iTunes)

Have you seen the complete 8 panel Digi pack for the E.P. Collector CD?

To the best of my knowledge the CD isn't available yet.

Topic author
Gamma Master

Post by Gamma Master »

rockinrebel wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:14 pm
Gamma Master wrote:

No, as far as I know it's not out yet, which is a shame. And no, I've just seen the front cover as posted on this forum but I wasn't satisfied with the slightly blurred image, and I wasn't too keen on the font they used.

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

Gamma Master wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:08 pm
rockinrebel wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:

No, as far as I know it's not out yet, which is a shame. And no, I've just seen the front cover as posted on this forum but I wasn't satisfied with the slightly blurred image, and I wasn't too keen on the font they used.
Thanks for your comments. I was interested to hear your feedback, because it was my design.

Of course, these things are subjective, but I was only allowed to work with pictures from the shows, and I my intention was to present Elvis in the most positive way. Especially with the cover shot.

Hopefully, the full 8 panel design will give a better perspective on what I was trying to achieve with the artwork.

Topic author
Gamma Master

Post by Gamma Master »

rockinrebel wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:

Thanks for your comments. I was interested to hear your feedback, because it was my design.

Of course, these things are subjective, but I was only allowed to work with pictures from the shows, and I my intention was to present Elvis in the most positive way. Especially with the cover shot.

Hopefully, the full 8 panel design will give a better perspective on what I was trying to achieve with the artwork.
Wow! It’s good to see people working with the label, I hope any of my comments didn’t come off to harsh and I understand only being allowed to work with photos from the show, I always try to do the same, except when it’s impossible. As I’m sure you can see I did take a lot of inspiration from your cover in regards to things like the placement of the text and the border on the outer edge, I look forward to seeing the full thing when I can order it! But as you said, all things like this are subjective

You don’t happen to have any idea when the CD might be released? It’s one I’m eager to add to my collection that’s for sure

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

Gamma Master wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:16 pm
rockinrebel wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:

Wow! It’s good to see people working with the label, I hope any of my comments didn’t come off to harsh and I understand only being allowed to work with photos from the show, I always try to do the same, except when it’s impossible. As I’m sure you can see I did take a lot of inspiration from your cover in regards to things like the placement of the text and the border on the outer edge, I look forward to seeing the full thing when I can order it! But as you said, all things like this are subjective

You don’t happen to have any idea when the CD might be released? It’s one I’m eager to add to my collection that’s for sure
Thanks for your comments. Not sure what's happening with the CD. I thought it would have been out by now. Hopefully it will be out soon.

It was a thrill to work on the cover art, but it's much more challenging than a personal project, because the producer's have their own ideas about what they want.

The cover image I chose reminded me of the one used for the 1977 In Concert album, but I didn't really want to go for a full on '70's RCA retro look, so tried to incorporate a modern design style.

Whilst only having certain images to work with can limit what can be achieved in terms of design ideas, I think it's great that the label only want to use images that represent the recordings included on the disc, and hopefully the complete design will be representative of that.

Topic author
Gamma Master

Post by Gamma Master »

rockinrebel wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:18 am
Gamma Master wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:

Thanks for your comments. Not sure what's happening with the CD. I thought it would have been out by now. Hopefully it will be out soon.

It was a thrill to work on the cover art, but it's much more challenging than a personal project, because the producer's have their own ideas about what they want.

The cover image I chose reminded me of the one used for the 1977 In Concert album, but I didn't really want to go for a full on '70's RCA retro look, so tried to incorporate a modern design style.

Whilst only having certain images to work with can limit what can be achieved in terms of design ideas, I think it's great that the label only want to use images that represent the recordings included on the disc, and hopefully the complete design will be representative of that.
Oh yeah, I can imagine that doing it for a producer is a whole different ballpark compared to just making a cover for fun, because of course they'll have expectations and the customers will have expectations. I can certainly see the influence from the EIC album looking at it now. And yeah, I completely agree about having the artwork represent what's inside, whenever I design covers I always use photos from the show or from the same tour if there are none from the show that are decent enough to use.

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

Gamma Master wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:57 am
rockinrebel wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:

Oh yeah, I can imagine that doing it for a producer is a whole different ballpark compared to just making a cover for fun, because of course they'll have expectations and the customers will have expectations. I can certainly see the influence from the EIC album looking at it now. And yeah, I completely agree about having the artwork represent what's inside, whenever I design covers I always use photos from the show or from the same tour if there are none from the show that are decent enough to use.
I really wanted to do something with the gypsy suit, but there were no suitable photos from the actual show.

I scanned quite a few from Uniondale, but I was then told only to use photos from the actual shows, which is understandable, as this is part of the appeal of EP collector and Straight Arrow releases.

They really capture that moment in time when the show took place.

Topic author
Gamma Master

Post by Gamma Master »

rockinrebel wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:

I really wanted to do something with the gypsy suit, but there were no suitable photos from the actual show.

I scanned quite a few from Uniondale, but I was then told only to use photos from the actual shows, which is understandable, as this is part of the appeal of EP collector and Straight Arrow releases.

They really capture that moment in time when the show tool place.
Yeah the gypsy suit is one of my favourites so I’d have liked to use that too, in the end I could only find that one black and white on but it had a huge red watermark across the middle so I had to carefully place it so the watermark wouldn’t be visible.
Anyway, hopefully the CD will soon be ready for release!

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

Gamma Master wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:12 pm
rockinrebel wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
Gamma Master wrote:

They really capture that moment in time when the show tool place.
Yeah the gypsy suit is one of my favourites so I’d have liked to use that too, in the end I could only find that one black and white on but it had a huge red watermark across the middle so I had to carefully place it so the watermark wouldn’t be visible.
Anyway, hopefully the CD will soon be ready for release!
I hope so. It's been over a month now since it was announced. Perhaps, there are distribution delays due to covid.

Topic author
Gamma Master

Post by Gamma Master »

Back at it again, this time it's Kansas City 77.
Quite similar to my remake of the Flying in Twice cover art, but I'm pretty pleased with the result.
Show wasn't that great (although there were a couple of rarities in there), neither is the sound on the CDR, and unfortunately the photos weren't the highest resolution but I'm satisfied with how it turned out, and hope you will be too!
In The Heart Of America.png
It's funny to look back on some of my older artworks, and how much they've improved since I first started

::rocks

And while you're here, I'd appreciate it if anyone had any high quality picture from 16th July 75 they could share (I'm not fussed if it's taken from far away, high res is the only thing I'm after), I'm keen to make a cover for that show, for when Ed from the King's Court shares his tape with us (and what a great guy he is for offering to share his tapes for free!). The only decent one I have is this
New Haven.jpg
Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Gamma Master

Post by Gamma Master »

Here's my mock up of a potential FTD or bootleg release, the Terre Haute show is pretty solid and the Oklahoma City show probably is too, not really the 2 July shows people will want the most but it'd definitely be a release I'd pick up, soundboard or not. Not my best work though, not sure about Terre Haute Elvis' head sticking over the title, but I went with it anyway
Back On Tour.png

Topic author
Gamma Master

Post by Gamma Master »

Here's my upgrade of the 'thunder in the night' cover, I didn't like the original colour scheme, and I figured I might as well use the pics from the show
A Thunder In The Night.png

CountCanada

Post by CountCanada »

So I see I have some competition...lol.... Nice job Gamma Master. I like the theme...

Topic author
Gamma Master

Post by Gamma Master »

CountCanada wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:28 am
So I see I have some competition...lol.... Nice job Gamma Master. I like the theme...
Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition :wink:

::rocks

CountCanada

Post by CountCanada »

I agree..stay tuned for my next reveal....

Topic author
Gamma Master

Post by Gamma Master »

CountCanada wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:22 am
I agree..stay tuned for my next reveal....
I'll keep my eyes peeled!

Topic author
Gamma Master

Post by Gamma Master »

Another fantasy FTD release, one that I think would work very well, two powerhouse shows from a brilliant tour. Plus, I'm sure we've got a couple of members on this forum who would be keen on a release from Louisville and a few who would finally like a Philly release :wink:
Never Ending Energy.png
One thing that I would like, in order to improve my covers is better fonts for photoshop, the ones I have at the moment are pretty basic :(

SteamrollerBlues
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

1001fonts and dafont are good sites for fonts!

Topic author
Gamma Master

Post by Gamma Master »

SteamrollerBlues wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:13 pm
1001fonts and dafont are good sites for fonts!
Thanks Steamroller, I'll check them out!

Topic author
Gamma Master

Post by Gamma Master »

Evening everyone! (Or should I say good morning (since it's 00:01 here))

I've been working on a cover for the second Binghamton show in 1977, I came up with a few, all in the same vein but all with different pictures. I think the 3rd version is my favourite however.
Unchained Melody ver 1.png
Unchained Melody ver 2.png
Unchained Melody ver 3.png

Topic author
Gamma Master

Post by Gamma Master »

Not my best work, but thought I'd share anyway. Listening to this Pine Bluff show as I'm writing this. Pretty good show! I dare say on level with the June 75 tour. Things really turned round on this tour, by Jackson he was giving some of his better shows of the year, and in Arkansas he gave some of his best! This show is definitely a 'silver lining' to the 'cloud' that is the summer of '76. I actually prefer this show to many of the October shows
A Silver Lining.png

Topic author
Gamma Master

Post by Gamma Master »

Okay guys here we go, I think this has to be my best cover so far, I don't normally like to brag, but I think it is a work of art!

Cincinnati 1971
The Unreachable Star.png
Admittedly the photo is from Boston but I couldn't find any really appropriate photos from Cincinnati.

vinelvis
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by vinelvis »

Gamma Master wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:24 pm
Not my best work, but thought I'd share anyway. Listening to this Pine Bluff show as I'm writing this. Pretty good show! I dare say on level with the June 75 tour. Things really turned round on this tour, by Jackson he was giving some of his better shows of the year, and in Arkansas he gave some of his best! This show is definitely a 'silver lining' to the 'cloud' that is the summer of '76. I actually prefer this show to many of the October shows
Nice artwork. I looked up the setlist and it looked great! Why do you think this show is better than the October shows? Keep up the good work!