Elvis on piano

Here you can post your review!!
Or direct your thoughts towards facts & details of Elvis' Records/Films/Magazines & Trivia

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
latebloomer
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Elvis on piano

Post by latebloomer »

Hello, everyone. Being a bit up to my eyeballs right now, I turn to you (experts!) for some quick help. Himself, who is recovering from a spell in hospital, keeps asking me (as we listen to EP Express Radio), "Is that Elivs on the piano? Is that Boots Randolph on sax?" Since I have a copy of Tunzi's "Sessions III", thanks to the kindness of a very dear friend, I probably could answer those questons myself--after a couple of weeks (at least) of research. But...I'm hoping someone might know for which of Elvis' studio recordings he accompanied himself on the piano. (The live erformances began in '56 and occurred sporadicaly right up to August, 1977, didn't they?) As for Boots Randolph, all I'm aware of is his live performances at the benefits in Memphis and Honolulu in March, 1961. Did he also participate in any studio sessions?

Anyone have that information handy? (Please don't put in hours and hours looking it up if you don't! I'm not that selfish!) Many thanks,

latebloomer

Elvis Presley was an explorer of vast new landscapes of dream and illusion. He was a man who refused to be told that the best of his dreams would not come true, who refused to be defined by anyone else's perceptions. This is the goal of democracy, the journey on which every American hero sets out. That Elvis made so much of the journey on his own is reason enough to remember him with the honor and love we reserve for the bravest among us. Such men made the only maps we can trust.
--- Dave Marsh in Elvis.

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Re: Elvis on piano

Post by TJ »

This will help you with the piano question:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74114

Boots was on the sessions for Elvis is Back, His Hand In Mine, Something for Everybody, Pot Luck, the 1963-64 sessions that yielded tracks such as Witchcraft and Please Don't Drag That String Around, the How Great Thou Art sessions, and the Feb and Sep 1967 sessions (Big Boss Man, Hi-Heel Sneakers, etc).

He was also on the soundtracks for Blue Hawaii, Girls! Girls! Girls!, Viva Las Vegas, Kissin Cousins, Roustabout, Girl Happy, Spinout, Double Trouble and Speedway.

His most memorable work with Elvis is probably on Reconsider Baby and Girls! Girls! Girls!.

Topic author
latebloomer

Post by latebloomer »

Thank you, TJ, for the link, and rockinrebel, for both versions of Elvis at the Piano. I had no idea there were so many recordings on which he accompanied himself, other than (of course) the home recordings. Is that record still available anywhere? I'd love to have a copy of my own.

TJ, I am red-faced by your long list of the sessions on which Boots Randolph played. Thanks for the info--and pardon me for my colossal ignorance.

FECC to the rescue, yet again. ::rocks

latebloomer

Elvis Presley was an explorer of vast new landscapes of dream and illusion. He was a man who refused to be told that the best of his dreams would not come true, who refused to be defined by anyone else's perceptions. This is the goal of democracy, the journey on which every American hero sets out. That Elvis made so much of the journey on his own is reason enough to remember him with the honor and love we reserve for the bravest among us. Such men made the only maps we can trust.
--- Dave Marsh in Elvis.

rockinrebel
Registered for: 21 years

Post by rockinrebel »

latebloomer wrote:Thank you, TJ, for the link, and rockinrebel, for both versions of Elvis at the Piano. I had no idea there were so many recordings on which he accompanied himself, other than (of course) the home recordings. Is that record still available anywhere? I'd love to have a copy of my own.

TJ, I am red-faced by your long list of the sessions on which Boots Randolph played. Thanks for the info--and pardon me for my colossal ignorance.

FECC to the rescue, yet again. ::rocks
One side of one of the discs in the 1980 box set "Elvis Aron Presley" was titled "Elvis At The Piano" and featured "Beyond The Reef" & the three piano tracks from Nashville '71. The artwork I linked to was my own idea on how RCA could expand upon this theme.

Topic author
latebloomer

Post by latebloomer »

Rockinrebel, I noticed the label, and wondered about it. Well, since RCA--or whoever now holds the rights to EP's music--isn't on the ball and hasn't taken your excellent suggestion, I'll make my own disc by extracting the proper tracks from discs I already have. Have you taken your idea to any of the other companies who assemble music? Your "disc" is all ready to go, complete with sleeve artwork, a track list, and liner notes. What more could anyone ask? Sign me up for the first copy to go on sale! Anyone else want to get on the list?

latebloomer

--- Dave Marsh in Elvis.

rockinrebel
Registered for: 21 years

Post by rockinrebel »

latebloomer wrote:Rockinrebel, I noticed the label, and wondered about it. Well, since RCA--or whoever now holds the rights to EP's music--isn't on the ball and hasn't taken your excellent suggestion, I'll make my own disc by extracting the proper tracks from discs I already have. Have you taken your idea to any of the other companies who assemble music? Your "disc" is all ready to go, complete with sleeve artwork, a track list, and liner notes. What more could anyone ask? Sign me up for the first copy to go on sale! Anyone else want to get on the list?
Thanks for the compliment latebloomer. Glad you like the album. I only made it for fun, so haven't contacted anyone about having the album released. Of course RCA / Sony own the masters, so no one else can do anything with it really. The idea was for fans to download the artwork, and ethier burn discs or make playlists, as you have done. However, if FTD want the artwork for their 7"series, they only have to ask :wink:

Topic author
latebloomer

Post by latebloomer »

For a nice price, I hope! They can spare it, and you did a beautiful job.

latebloomer

--- Dave Marsh in Elvis.