Pieces Of My Life - July 24 1975.

Here you can post your review!!
Or direct your thoughts towards facts & details of Elvis' Records/Films/Magazines & Trivia

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Pieces Of My Life - July 24 1975.

Post by Johnny2523 »

Review: July 24 1975 - Asheville. One of elvis longest show from 1975. Running for Nearly 1 hour and 20 Minutes. Written while Listening by Johnny.

Also Sprach Zarathustra/That's Allright Mama - This is the first rarety, Elvis opening with That's Allright Mama, which hasnt been sung as opening number since 1972!. Elvis seems to be in a good mood, and while it's not like the 1970/1971/1972 version, it's good!. Elvis voice is good, the pacing is good. It's real fun to hear him open with his ''First'' Song. At the last ''Dee-dee-dee-dee'' Ronnies drums come in greatly!.

I Got A Woman/Amen - I Got A Woman begins with a false start, then elvis does some ''Welling'' and starts again. The pace isn't rushed, and elvis seems to be enjoying himself. Altough he forgets some lyrics. The crowd however is goin nuts. while the song progresses elvis is getting better!. Amen is like most versions, altough this version runs for nearly 2 minutes! Before elvis does his ''shakey leg'' thing. Ofcoarse the JD Divebomb's are included. Twice!. And the crowd goes nuts!.
Elvis thanks the audience and calls out for

Big Boss Man - Elvis does a great version of this song, As far as i remember this song hasnt been sung since atleast April. Usually elvis would do love me after i got a woman. But this is a nice suprise!. Elvis is in great voice and sings a great version!. Funny note as he sings ''You got me working boss man'' he makes a woman's sound! After the song ends elvis says ''U want this ring huh, well you never know it's a 16.000 dollar ring that's all , the guitar no way!. This is an highlight!

Love Me - An okay version, elvis sings most of the lyrics, and makes some effort. It's an enjoyable version. in a womans voice he jokes a bit ''You smile, You Smile!''. while the song progresses elvis starts to get more funnier. But ends the song greatly!.

If You Love Me (Let Me Know) - Without introducing the song, elvis gives a great version of the song, a song i always enjoyed and must be one of my favourites, elvis delivers a great version here in asheville!. altough other versions are more commited, i still enjoy it. elvis makes some jokes in the beginning but as the song progresses it gets better.

All Shook Up - An okay version, A trowaway yes. But i guess fine for the time.

Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel - Also an okay version, Teddy bear is performed at a slower pace then usually. Elvis is in a good voice altough this is nothing like the 1972 versions of it. But it's enjoyable! during the break of ''Don't Be Cruel'' elvis says ''I'm out of scarfes!''.

Hound Dog - Starts of strong, it's an okay version, elvis makes a bit of effort here. Elvis sings it longer before the break appears. after the song elvis says ''It seems like your in a good mood, and were off to a good start.. shut up! elvis jokes. then he repeats the first sentence. and notes ''I don't know if they asked for requests tonight, lets see, we got a whole bunch of songs!. Please do American Trilogy for nancy, here it's for you nancy honey''.

An American Trilogy - Starts of good elvis makes a little joke ''In dixielandd.. Disneyland no dixieland!'' before the stamps solo part. instead of singing ''In dixieland, where i was born'' elvis sings ''In dixieland, where they were born''. Elvis gives a good version. however he does seem a bit distracted ''But all their trials, my trials, everybody's trials!'' I never liked the Trumpet solo, i prefer the flute. Elvis does note Hotdamn right before he takes the song down, It ends great!.

Heartbreak Hotel - Another request!, elvis says ''Gimmie the box charlie lets get it goin!'' before diving in to the song. Again elvis makes a few jokes but does for the most part a good version!. it's one of those songs elvis can never do wrong. he re-peats the ending because he said it was to slow

Jailhouse Rock - Another request, It begins great, but sadley elvis forgets the lyrics, and says ''I don't have the lyrics to it'' However the band cooks and elvis seems to be really enjoying it. If only it was sung more solid.

Something - Again elvis takes a request, I always enjoyed this version, the song hadn't been done since aloha from hawaii, and i can hear it wasn't rehearsed, however elvis does a beautiful version, in many ways better then aloha. Altough he forgot the lyrics of ''Your asking me will our love grow'' however elvis seems to recover immidiatly, and is great for the rest of the song. Another rarity, and a highlight (Atleast for me)

Return To Sender - Oh lord i hope i remember, elvis says before starting the request! and what an enjoyable version this is! beside it from being a rarity, Elvis voice is great and his singing is solid. Gotta love this version! Highlight!. Besides the tiny jokes this is a great version! not having been performed since ''Girls Girls Girls!''.

Wooden Heart - Another request, elvis does a good version of this to i love how he changes the lyrics to ''Now i can walk with you, i don't have a wooden heart''. Elvis obviously forget a few of the lyrics, but once again for most of this song he sings sollidly, and it's an highlight and a rarity!.

Hawaiian Wedding Song - After getting requests to do hound dog again, and suspicious minds, elvis chooses to sing the hawaiian wedding song. Beautiful version and for the time a rarety in my opinion, elvis didn't do this song to often in 1975. The song gets a reprise. Elvis does some high notes here, which i think is great!.

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Always loved this song, and also most of the versions done. Elvis voice is great,
It kind of reminds me of the ''On Tour'' Version from 1972. The pacing is great. This is a real solid version!.

Polk Salad Annie - Really a great version!. it cooks. Elvis is in great voice. the crowd goes nuts!.

Introductions & Solo's - After doing 17 songs, we get to the introductions. I won't go much into these as we know much of those introductions by now. The Solo's are great. Johnny be goode runs for longer as James gets to do his Guitar break, however elvis doesn't sing much of it. School day is kind of the same, not much singing included.

T-R-O-U-B-L-E - After the introductions are done, elvis gets back to performing, He performs a great version of one of his most recent songs. The crowd goes nuts near the ending, Probably because of elvis Gyrations. Good version!. This has an extended ending!.

Shake A Hand - Another one of his most recent songs, Elvis says he has a new album out and introduces the song. This is a great live version. Elvis would do this song a few times during the last week of touring.
then it would dissapear again for a while, Elvis performed this atleast once in 1976, in Atlanta.
It doesn't beat the studio version, but it's still a very enjoyable version. altough elvis forgets some words.
Before doing his next song elvis introduces his father Vernon

Pieces Of My Life - Now here comes another rarity, Elvis does this beautiful song with full commitment, It's sad to know that elvis would only perform it once in concert and that's right here.. The fans who where there got lucky!. Great version, and the number 1 highlight of this show!.

How Great Thou Art - Beautiful live version, almost every live version of this song was done well by elvis. The song gets a reprise. This is one of the best versions out there!.

Can't Help Falling In Love/Closing Vamp - After singing 22 songs, and 1 hour and 15 minutes later. Elvis brings the show to an end with this blue hawaii classic. It's a good version and elvis sings most of the lyrics. I really like this show for the great setlist, and for most of the show elvis is in great voice, in a great mood, and i bet the fans didn't go home dissapointed!.

From a scale from 1 to 10 i'd give this show an 8. Altough elvis is in a great mood and in great voice, and has a killer setlist, some songs get spoiled by joking. Ofcoarse i don't really mind this i always loved the humour elvis brought. But thats just from a fan's point of view. however i'd recommened this show to anybody!. It's been released under the Straight Arrow label simply called ''Pieces Of My Life''!.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Johnny2523 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Topic author
Johnny2523

Re: Pieces Of My Life - July 24 1975.

Post by Johnny2523 »

I hope you all enjoy this, I know i enjoyed reviewing this show. It's a great one.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Johnny2523 wrote:Something - Again elvis takes a request, I always enjoyed this version, the song hadn't been done since aloha from hawaii.
Pretty good review, but this song was performed several times in 1973.

Topic author
Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Rob wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:Something - Again elvis takes a request, I always enjoyed this version, the song hadn't been done since aloha from hawaii.
Pretty good review, but this song was performed several times in 1973.
You're right rob my bad. I can only recall the version in june '73.
But thank you for the compliment!. :D

Rob

Post by Rob »

I believe it was performed at all four Atlanta shows as well as Cincinnati and Nashville.

He also performed it opening night in Vegas on January 26th.

Topic author
Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Rob wrote:I believe it was performed at all four Atlanta shows as well as Cincinnati and Nashville.

He also performed it opening night in Vegas on January 26th.
About those other atlanta shows i didnt knew. But i did knew about January 26th, i forgot about that!. Thanks for the info rob.

Rob

Post by Rob »

You're welcome.

There may have been another version or two in 1973, but I can't remember where.

Topic author
Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Rob wrote:You're welcome.

There may have been another version or two in 1973, but I can't remember where.
Let me see goin by Elvisconcerts.com
January 12 1973
January 14 1973
January 26 1973
June 27 1973
June 29 1973
June 30 1973 (Both shows)
July 1 1973
July 3 1973
August 23 1973 (8:15 PM Show This show is coming out now on the straight arrow label!)

James27
Registered for: 21 years

Post by James27 »

Great review, Johnny, Thanks!

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

James27

Post by James27 »

Great review, Johnny, Thanks!

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Thanks for the review Johnny. I like this show. Elvis seems in really good spirits. A nice treat with the "rare" songs and 3 from the new "Today" album.

rlj

film_as_lit

Post by film_as_lit »

Elvis should've went off on his fans long ago, like Shatner did to trekkies about getting a girlfriend, a life...still living a fantasy that Elvis was the King.

People---enjoy the music instead of examining the music--to see if it is studio quality in concert...Although, Michael Jackson went off on his pianist for
making subtle changes to the song--that as a music listener--I could not tell the difference. But MJ picked up on it, and said "the fans want to here it like the
record."

The problem with Elvis, MJ, and all the entertainers that outlive the generation, find that they must sing the same song ad nausea, and they sometimes
deviate to make it less monotonous--his humor replaced his boredom doing the songs, keeping his musicians employed, making himself relevant to his fans.

vinelvis
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by vinelvis »

Thanks for this review!

James27

Post by James27 »

Surely one of the most unusual shows Elvis ever did, in a good way. Too bad we don't have this on good SB or multitrack. Strange that given the shortage of Elvis masters in 1974-1977, RCA didn't bother to record anything from 1975-1976 on multitrack. There were enough fresh live gems to compile another live album, better than the 1977 "Elvis In Concert", from these two years: Green Green Grass Of Home, Promised Land, Big Boss Man, Shake A Hand, Love Letters, America The Beautfiul, T-r-o-u-b-l-e, Unchained Melody, Rags To Riches .....

Stvimpe

Post by Stvimpe »

Nice review, thanks.