The Graceland Sessions

Here you can post your review!!
Or direct your thoughts towards facts & details of Elvis' Records/Films/Magazines & Trivia

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
bajo
Registered for: 21 years

The Graceland Sessions

Post by bajo »

I can't help getting towards Johnny Cash's latest recrodings. The American recordings surely gave Jonnny the credit he always deserved.
The movie also gave credit to a long timer as he was,alongside Elvis.
As for recording, I have now plowed through The Jungle Room Sessions, along with my own late upgraded volume 2 of the same. (Gathering all the outtakes not featured on the afore mentoned.)
And I feel it would be time for an official release of the "Best Of The Jungle Room Sessions"!
Listening to the stripped recordings, somehow gives me that intimate feeling of the latest Johnny Cash recordings. That bare, naked down to earth delivery! It's all over in there when youl listen to the alternates of the Graceland sessions. What do you think?

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Gregory Nolan Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Do you think they are "craggy" and "rootsy" enough? For some reason,
that's the Cash they were able to sell in those later sessions.

As for Elvis, he's forever living down his sad demise at 42, and the melancholy of those tunes inevitably still comes off to non-fans as a reminder of all that.

I agree that the FTD did a lot to redeem those sessons, but I still can't avoid some of the darker associations of a man who was in that kind of ultimately subpar condition.

Either that, or it's because I'm on the final pages of Jerry Hopkins "Elvis: The Final Years" and finding it a useful reminder of the end.

I'm happy to hear more of these tracks on "Made In Memphis" but the Jungle Room sessions should never really rise to the level of discussion of say, Memphis' American recordings of 1969, or even Stax, 1973, in my opinion. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise... :shock: :lol:

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

dl
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by dl »

I agree, that you simply can't compare the recordings Elvis made at Graceland with the last recordings of Johnny Cash. What Mr. Cash did during is final years was great and unique and is a completely different thing. But neverthenless the Jungle Room Session CD showed clearly, that Elvis wasn't that fat, all-time-drugged-out-of-his-skull-guy some critics made of him. Elvis clearly was fat and he clearly had a drug problem, but he doesn't act and sound like he doesn't know what he's doing. Besides all the problems he had, he still could sing!