Here you can post your review!!
Or direct your thoughts towards facts & details of Elvis' Records/Films/Magazines & Trivia

Paul McCartney "Live In Red Sq" DVD - Quick review

Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:36 pm

Last week I was able to get a hold of this new Paul McCartney "Live in Red Square" DVD that was released this past Tuesday, June 14th. Only had about a half hour to view the DVD, so I basically jumped around to make sure all chapters worked and everything loaded up fine without any pixilation or freeze-ups and watched a few songs and segments. I taped this off A&E originally when broadcast last year, but haven't watched that since, though I loved it on initial viewing.

Packaging is nice. Keepcase comes in a slipcase. Also, included is a booklet but any text is basically worthless. Nice to have this A&E expanded show on DVD. Excllent top notch performances by Paul and the band. Sound mix is probably the best on DVD that I've heard to date and between the Red Square footage and the St. Petersburg footage (not a complete bonus concert as the packaging touts)it's really great to have songs that he's never performed live (until then)available to watch and hear. Paul's voice holds up and rarely sounds strained. I really think this will now be my favorite live Paul DVD to play on a consistant basis since the "Live In The US" DVD (which now ranks 2nd best imho). Go out and get this. 4 1/2 stars for visual (as the St. Petersburg footage looks like video transfered to film and I take 1/2 a star off for that)and the sound has to be 5 stars.

Enjoy! I can't wait watch this straight thru this weekend!

Well...since then I've watche the complete thing and have to say this is ESSENTIAL to your Paul DVD collection. Many songs
included that he never did live are excellently performed.
This DVD is a keeper and a repeat play in your DVD player!

Regards,
Buffalo Wings
:)

Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:57 pm

Err, wrong message board. :?

Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:01 am

I have always posted non-Elvis music reviews in the Review Section as
it says : "Review Section. Here you can post your review!! Moderator Steve_M". It says nothing about it being particular to only Elvis.

Regards,
Buffalo Wings

Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:37 pm

The name of the mb is still "For Elvis CD Collectors." Anything that is "of-topic" really ought to be there, not in our dedicated "Review" section.. I'm actually not an "only-Elvis" kind of guy and don't resent your reviews for content, just placement.

Sorry, but it dilutes the board. :( I don't mean to be a jerk. But maybe I'm wrong on how this should work. Anyone else feel this way?

Cheers! :lol:

Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:59 pm

Greg -

You're right.

Anything not 'Elvis' belongs in the 'Off topic' section.

Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:31 pm

Glad we agree on something again, Colin :!: :lol:

Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:31 am

I agree totally Greg. anything that isnt Elvis should be off topic.

Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:35 am

Well, I guess I agree about the placement, but the DVD is worth getting. "Calico Skies" "Back In The USSR" and "I've Just Seen A Face" stand out! I really dig this yet the "historians" might give the Beatles a tad too much credit for some stuff, but it's still enjoyable.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:00 pm

It's just a pity that he can't sing, never could sing, and our man sang his songs better than he did!

Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:50 am

Keggyhander wrote:It's just a pity that he can't sing, never could sing, and our man sang his songs better than he did!

are you serious?

get a grip man.

Paul was/is a fine vocalist and Elvis did not sing "his"
songs better than he!

Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:10 am

Mccartney cd reviews have no business being at a Elvis site.

paul mc cartney dvd

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:11 pm

I sure agree with Y'all the cartney has no biz on MA BOYZ meesageboard, Afta all EVIS was and is an ENTERTAINER and the beatles sure wern't, neither was paul, ringo, or any of them, when you listen or watched EVIS you were and still are ENTERTAINED DAMMIT!!!!!!!!! Y'ALL LISTEN TO THE COLONEL NOW YA HEAR.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:16 pm

Looks like we've got another delusional poster, in the same lameass vein as Dr. Johnny Fever and The Rock. What a moron.

Tom

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:05 pm

It's very strange that all of a sudden we have EVERYMANHASAFLAMINGSTAR and now THE COLONEL appearing at the same time...hmmmm...got an ideas about this Simpkins? :?

Re: Paul McCartney "Live In Red Sq" DVD - Quick re

Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:19 am

Buffalo Wings wrote:Last week I was able to get a hold of this new Paul McCartney "Live in Red Square" DVD that was released this past Tuesday, June 14th. Only had about a half hour to view the DVD, so I basically jumped around to make sure all chapters worked and everything loaded up fine without any pixilation or freeze-ups and watched a few songs and segments. I taped this off A&E originally when broadcast last year, but haven't watched that since, though I loved it on initial viewing.

Packaging is nice. Keepcase comes in a slipcase. Also, included is a booklet but any text is basically worthless. Nice to have this A&E expanded show on DVD. Excllent top notch performances by Paul and the band. Sound mix is probably the best on DVD that I've heard to date and between the Red Square footage and the St. Petersburg footage (not a complete bonus concert as the packaging touts)it's really great to have songs that he's never performed live (until then)available to watch and hear. Paul's voice holds up and rarely sounds strained. I really think this will now be my favorite live Paul DVD to play on a consistant basis since the "Live In The US" DVD (which now ranks 2nd best imho). Go out and get this. 4 1/2 stars for visual (as the St. Petersburg footage looks like video transfered to film and I take 1/2 a star off for that)and the sound has to be 5 stars.

Well...since then I've watche the complete thing and have to say this is ESSENTIAL to your Paul DVD collection. Many songs

Regards,
Buffalo Wings

I haven't got this dvd yet, it sounds good though.

Thanks for the review Buffalo Wings.

Sq

Re: Paul McCartney "Live In Red Sq" DVD - Quick re

Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:24 am

the squirrel wrote:
Buffalo Wings wrote:Last week I was able to get a hold of this new Paul McCartney "Live in Red Square" DVD that was released this past Tuesday, June 14th. Only had about a half hour to view the DVD, so I basically jumped around to make sure all chapters worked and everything loaded up fine without any pixilation or freeze-ups and watched a few songs and segments. I taped this off A&E originally when broadcast last year, but haven't watched that since, though I loved it on initial viewing.

Regards,
Buffalo Wings

I haven't got this dvd yet, it sounds good though.

Thanks for the review Buffalo Wings.

Sq

I've got this DVD and it's really Kool, Paul is still FAB!!! :lol:

essential purchase for the casual and hardcore McCartney Fan!!!

Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:47 pm

Buffalo Wings and Minkahead.

Send me a PM, I think i've got something you might be interested in.

Sq

Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:36 pm

Keggyhander wrote:It's just a pity that he can't sing, never could sing, and our man sang his songs better than he did!

Give me a break. IMO Elvis did not sing Lady Madonna or Get Back better than Paul! And I am sick of Yesterday no matter who is singing it!

Ofcourse, Paul never did a good Elvis cover tune either...IMO!

bpd

...and the review doesn't belong in this section...but since it was for Paul I don't mind...

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:08 am

Each person has different points of view. Some prefer Paul or whoever singing Get Back, Lady Madonna and there it goes.
In my case I most like Elvis version and Yesterday is a perfect in Vegas 69. Simple..
And yes Gregory, too late but I agree with you, this is off topic. :D

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:31 am

No disrespect to other artists but this is an Elvis forum and therefore reviews should be on topic only. Sir, can you delete or move this thread to the 'Off Topic' section please.

Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:34 am

renanagulled wrote:Each person has different points of view. Some prefer Paul or whoever singing Get Back, Lady Madonna and there it goes.
In my case I most like Elvis version and Yesterday is a perfect in Vegas 69. Simple..

I agree...everyone has their own taste and there is nothing wrong with that!

Elvis does do an excellent job on Yesterday. Perhaps bettering the original.

Being both a Beatle fan and an Elvis fan provides me with the opportunity to hear Yesterday just a little too much. :D

bpd

Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:37 am

bpd wrote:
renanagulled wrote:Each person has different points of view. Some prefer Paul or whoever singing Get Back, Lady Madonna and there it goes.

I agree...everyone has their own taste and there is nothing wrong with that!

Elvis does do an excellent job on Yesterday. Perhaps bettering the original.

Being both a Beatle fan and an Elvis fan provides me with the opportunity to hear Yesterday just a little too much. :D

bpd

Elvis bettering Yesterday???

First time I ever heard that, and quite frankly, as much as I love E, I don't think so.... :wink:

Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:33 am

I was being kind. As I stated above, I'm a little tired of Yesterday no matter who is singing. I'm going to see McCartney next month in Toronto and I'm hoping that he doesn't sing Yesterday. Maybe he'll drop Yesterday in favor of Too Many People or something like that.

bpd

Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:17 am

First of all; I agree that this thread should have been started in the off topic section, but sh*t happens...

Could someone (maybe the thread starter) please post the complete track listing for this new Macca DVD?

Also, regarding the Back In The US DVD; based on the reviews I've read, that DVD doesn't contain any complete performances, only snippets/ parts of the songs, or..?

I saw Back In The US on the telly a couple of years ago, and I remember it was a lot of fan reactions, backstage stuff and interviews and so on, and I remember I said to myself: "It would've been great to have the full concert on DVD..."

As I understand it, we do not get the whole thing on the DVD, but the CD release has instead the complete songs/ performances...?

Strange, if correct!

Br
Kristian