Please Read This Carefully Before you post!

Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:58 pm

Why is there so much negativity towards this site over on another Elvis site, Too Much Monkey Business? In particular, a few of the members here have been singled out and called rather nasty names. I used to be a member there when Ger contributed great stuff. But he got fed up with people's responses and left it, and then so did I and found this site. I was over there today and read thru a few topics and the negativity towards this site is very evident. It seems everyone over there has to be in agreement on topics to be a happy member.

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:13 pm

This should probably be in the Off Topic section. Why does anyone care what the other Forum thinks? Besides, several members here freely refer to it as the "Monkey Cr*p" forum. Besides being an extremely immature (and not very nice) thing to say, I think that indicates that the feeling is pretty mutual. Both sides have said plenty of mean things.

I personally don't have a problem with the other forum. And I think most members don't care one way or the other.

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:18 pm

Yeah, I probably should have posted it in off-topic. Most members probably dont care as you say, but the ones that got insulted here may! I thought that was rude. Some of the members there say they left because of the negativity on this site! I guess if we all dont agree that the Sun Dial period was a great one, we are not really Elvis fans. At least thats the impression I get over there.

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:50 pm

I visited that site once after a Google search led me to a topic there. I was intrigued so I looked around a bit. I found that board to be generally uninteresting. It really doesn't offer anything that betters FECC in any way. It appears the majority of the people there are fallen members of this board who have a bone to pick with certain members here. The behavior there is even more childish than what we see on this board (if that's possible to believe). FECC remains the best forum on the subject of Elvis Presley with a great balance of both academic and casual discussions for all types of fans to enjoy.

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:02 pm

Justin wrote:I visited that site once after a Google search led me to a topic there. I was intrigued so I looked around a bit. I found that board to be generally uninteresting. It really doesn't offer anything that betters FECC in any way. It appears the majority of the people there are fallen members of this board who have a bone to pick with certain members here. The behavior there is even more childish than what we see on this board (if that's possible to believe). FECC remains the best forum on the subject of Elvis Presley with a great balance of both academic and casual discussions for all types of fans to enjoy.


post of the day.......... ::rocks

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:02 pm

Justin wrote:I visited that site once after a Google search led me to a topic there. I was intrigued so I looked around a bit. I found that board to be generally uninteresting. It really doesn't offer anything that betters FECC in any way. It appears the majority of the people there are fallen members of this board who have a bone to pick with certain members here. The behavior there is even more childish than what we see on this board (if that's possible to believe). FECC remains the best forum on the subject of Elvis Presley with a great balance of academic and casual discussion for all fans to enjoy.


Absolutely agree.

The knowledge gathered on this board is unequalled in the net or elsewhere.

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm

As the saying goes, "you can take the troublemakers out of the forum, but you can't take the forum out of the troublemakers!"

:wink:

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:19 pm

r&b wrote:Yeah, I probably should have posted it in off-topic. Most members probably dont care as you say, but the ones that got insulted here may! I thought that was rude. Some of the members there say they left because of the negativity on this site! I guess if we all dont agree that the Sun Dial period was a great one, we are not really Elvis fans. At least thats the impression I get over there.


I think each forum has good apples and bad apples. And I've read plenty of rude things here and there but I try to ignore it. The worst part about the other forum is that there are a couple of members who are obsessed with Doc. And that kind of obsession is unhealthy, to say the least.

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:32 pm

The overall problem with the Monkey forum is that many of the members are there because they are not allowed here. The reason for that can be blamed both on those members, and certain "errors of judgement" made here.

The Monkey forum prides itself on being without moderators, but to survive without moderators the community has to stand up as one against the bad apples and bad behaviour and make it known what is and isn't socially unacceptable. That, it seems, they are unable to do, and often the behaviour exhibited there is worse than it is on this site which they vehemently attack. They might have a point if the site as a whole practiced what it preached, but that, alas, doesn't seem to happen.

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:39 pm

r&b wrote:Why is there so much negativity towards this site over on another Elvis site, Too Much Monkey Business? In particular, a few of the members here have been singled out and called rather nasty names. I used to be a member there when Ger contributed great stuff. But he got fed up with people's responses and left it, and then so did I and found this site. I was over there today and read thru a few topics and the negativity towards this site is very evident. It seems everyone over there has to be in agreement on topics to be a happy member.
probably because on this site some think they know it all when it comes to Elvis and god forbid anyone dares to disagree with them.

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:41 pm

InheritTheWind wrote:
r&b wrote:Yeah, I probably should have posted it in off-topic. Most members probably dont care as you say, but the ones that got insulted here may! I thought that was rude. Some of the members there say they left because of the negativity on this site! I guess if we all dont agree that the Sun Dial period was a great one, we are not really Elvis fans. At least thats the impression I get over there.


I think each forum has good apples and bad apples. And I've read plenty of rude things here and there but I try to ignore it. The worst part about the other forum is that there are a couple of members who are obsessed with Doc. And that kind of obsession is unhealthy, to say the least.


Exactly A COUPLE not the whole forum and for Mathew to infer that the forum is full of ex FECC troublemakers Is just plain wrong, There is no need for all this my forum is bigger than yours rubbish there are plenty of good people who post over at TMMB including KEV, Billyblues, ColinB and Carolyn and non of them are troublemakers. I don't think the sundial period has anything to do with people leaving this site and preferring the other one it`s more the attitude and behaviour of some posters here that drive people away, The majority of members over there are decent people and just want to be free to discuss Elvis and other matters in an environment they feel comfortable in and I see no reason to put down another forum just because it`s not this one.

Alan.

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:43 pm

poormadpeter wrote:The overall problem with the Monkey forum is that many of the members are there because they are not allowed here. The reason for that can be blamed both on those members, and certain "errors of judgement" made here.

The Monkey forum prides itself on being without moderators, but to survive without moderators the community has to stand up as one against the bad apples and bad behaviour and make it known what is and isn't socially unacceptable. That, it seems, they are unable to do, and often the behaviour exhibited there is worse than it is on this site which they vehemently attack. They might have a point if the site as a whole practiced what it preached, but that, alas, doesn't seem to happen.


I agree.

If I remember correctly, around the time you left the Monkey forum you were defending DJC! That should illustrate how nasty it gets there sometimes. :wink:

I've read some pretty shocking things on both forums. The internet is a crazy place.

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Why?

Why not? :wink:

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:56 pm

I read posts about Johnny Carpenter that were so full of hatred and insults that I almost couldn' t believe it.

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:03 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
Why?

Why not? :wink:

Why not why?

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:05 pm

There's not a better place than here for 'talking' and finding info about our guy, despite all the bickering and testosterone flitting about;-)


**havnt a clue why my avatar has done a runner though :roll: :roll: **

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:31 pm

debtd1 wrote:There's not a better place than here for 'talking' and finding info about our guy, despite all the bickering and testosterone flitting about;-)


**havnt a clue why my avatar has done a runner though :roll: :roll: **


It could be a number of things. Is it the correct size? (It's very particular. Not just the height and width, but the pixel count. You usually need to bring the jpeg way down in pixels.) Did you update your profile, and perhaps delete it? Or try to change it? Without screen shots, and photo sizes, it's impossible to tell.

Go to the software section, and I'll bet someone will rescue your avatar.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:39 pm

rjm wrote:
debtd1 wrote:There's not a better place than here for 'talking' and finding info about our guy, despite all the bickering and testosterone flitting about;-)


**havnt a clue why my avatar has done a runner though :roll: :roll: **


It could be a number of things. Is it the correct size? (It's very particular. Not just the height and width, but the pixel count. You usually need to bring the jpeg way down in pixels.) Did you update your profile, and perhaps delete it? Or try to change it? Without screen shots, and photo sizes, it's impossible to tell.

Go to the software section, and I'll bet someone will rescue your avatar.

rjm

Sent via mobile


havnt done a thing Robin........it was here last time i posted.......gone now

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Ciscoking wrote:I read posts about Johnny Carpenter that were so full of hatred and insults that I almost couldn' t believe it.


Yup, that was kind of what I was alluding to. I couldnt believe my eyes.

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:55 pm

InheritTheWind wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:The overall problem with the Monkey forum is that many of the members are there because they are not allowed here. The reason for that can be blamed both on those members, and certain "errors of judgement" made here.

The Monkey forum prides itself on being without moderators, but to survive without moderators the community has to stand up as one against the bad apples and bad behaviour and make it known what is and isn't socially unacceptable. That, it seems, they are unable to do, and often the behaviour exhibited there is worse than it is on this site which they vehemently attack. They might have a point if the site as a whole practiced what it preached, but that, alas, doesn't seem to happen.


I agree.

If I remember correctly, around the time you left the Monkey forum you were defending DJC! That should illustrate how nasty it gets there sometimes. :wink:



This is true. That was why I left.

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:13 pm

poormadpeter wrote:The overall problem with the Monkey forum is that many of the members are there because they are not allowed here. The reason for that can be blamed both on those members, and certain "errors of judgement" made here.

The Monkey forum prides itself on being without moderators, but to survive without moderators the community has to stand up as one against the bad apples and bad behaviour and make it known what is and isn't socially unacceptable. That, it seems, they are unable to do, and often the behaviour exhibited there is worse than it is on this site which they vehemently attack. They might have a point if the site as a whole practiced what it preached, but that, alas, doesn't seem to happen.



I totally agree. The monkey forum has no policing/moderators in place to keep things running smooth, which can only mean chaos of every kind, which also means an eventual self destruction of the entire forum. A great example of that would be the old alt.elvis.king forum from the 1990's/early 2000's.

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:18 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:The overall problem with the Monkey forum is that many of the members are there because they are not allowed here. The reason for that can be blamed both on those members, and certain "errors of judgement" made here.

The Monkey forum prides itself on being without moderators, but to survive without moderators the community has to stand up as one against the bad apples and bad behaviour and make it known what is and isn't socially unacceptable. That, it seems, they are unable to do, and often the behaviour exhibited there is worse than it is on this site which they vehemently attack. They might have a point if the site as a whole practiced what it preached, but that, alas, doesn't seem to happen.



I totally agree. The monkey forum has no policing/moderators in place to keep things running smooth, which can only mean chaos of every kind, which also means an eventual self destruction of the entire forum. A great example of that would be the old alt.elvis.king forum from the 1990's/early 2000's.
I sometimes wonder if this place is the same.

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:29 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:The overall problem with the Monkey forum is that many of the members are there because they are not allowed here. The reason for that can be blamed both on those members, and certain "errors of judgement" made here.

The Monkey forum prides itself on being without moderators, but to survive without moderators the community has to stand up as one against the bad apples and bad behaviour and make it known what is and isn't socially unacceptable. That, it seems, they are unable to do, and often the behaviour exhibited there is worse than it is on this site which they vehemently attack. They might have a point if the site as a whole practiced what it preached, but that, alas, doesn't seem to happen.



I totally agree. The monkey forum has no policing/moderators in place to keep things running smooth, which can only mean chaos of every kind, which also means an eventual self destruction of the entire forum. A great example of that would be the old alt.elvis.king forum from the 1990's/early 2000's.


Could you elaborate? I remember being there, but checking the Usenet archives, I never actually posted. I can only assume that something was a major turn-off.

All that's left in my memory of alt.elvis.king are numerous complaints about EPE harrassing web sites regarding posting copyrighted material. In particular, someone was going on and on about how she couldn't post scans of postcards she had purchased at Graceland. They were sending her cease-and-desist notices, and this person thought it was fascistic or something.

I was bored.

I would like to know more, because after I got bored, I apparently rarely went back there. And I loved usenet! So, I'm curious.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Re: Why?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:40 pm

rjm wrote:Could you elaborate? I remember being there, but checking the Usenet archives, I never actually posted. I can only assume that something was a major turn-off.

I would like to know more, because after I got bored, I apparently rarely went back there. And I loved usenet! So, I'm curious.

rjm





The old AEK forum on usenet was a virtual pissing ground (to put it nicely). It was littered with personal insults and vendettas. You couldn't get through reading a dozen posts without reading at least 10 nasty comments aimed at a person(s). It was horrible and I'm glad to see it go when it finally did. Many of these chief "bullies"/ "perpetrators" have since moved on to their own "moderated"/"restricted membership" version of the AEK hosted by Suave Harv. Marty Lacker also happens to be posting there on a frequent basis, coincidently.....I would not recommend the newer forum either.

Re: Why?

Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:03 am

Thank you. I had hoped it wasn't my fault for not giving it a chance. I was really into Usenet. (More on tech boards, though.)

rjm

Sent via mobile