All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri May 16, 2003 2:30 am

Hey IMETJB, please dont be so naive and ignorant as to claim 1.5 billion people. dont you know thats only for people who believe in myths, fairytales and think Elvis was a wonderful person. actually it was about 120 that tuned in, because remember hardly anyone owned a tv over in the Far East and Hawaii. Then went it was broadcast to Europe, the audience increases prob to 425.. but man when it came to America, the tv audience went skyhigh. estimates are 1000. soooo in all total, about 1750 people watched it across the world. 1.5 billion???????? get outta here!

:wink:

Fri May 16, 2003 3:59 am

You forgot me. I'm the one that watched it live in Australia.
That makes it 1751 people.

8)

Fri May 16, 2003 6:30 am

Good comments, for the most part. I especially enjoy "LiketheBike's" comment about generational attitudes, particuarly the pro-60s rock crowd, which is often more hostile to Elvis than the artists themselves, like the Beatles, Dylan or the Stones, who are all on record at different points with very pro-Elvis comments, despite their fans own clueless disdain.

Another take is this: I've often found that even good friends who don't "get" Elvis (all men) are threatened by the "coolness" and charisma of Elvis because they (I say this privately) so sorely lack this themselves. So insecure in their own "coolness," they revel in the leveling fun of taking down an icon like Elvis. Some of them can be converted , and playing the best of Elvis wins some over, but I am struck how some take refuge in "unconventional" looking (homely but "important") artists like Lennon or Dylan. Sure they could be cool in their way, but nothing like that of Elvis, who was had that Vallentino/ Brando appeal to both men and women alike. For some, this very appeal is trivializing, as if he is some kind of stripper, not musician.

Thankfully, there are the more average and even homely guys (for gals it's different) who are honest say, "Man, I'd like to have half of what he had going on."

These guys immediately see him and say, "yeah, that's the way to be" while others fidget and even rail against him. (The screaming girls can indeed bring in the jealousy card.) It's almost unfair to make them "deal" with Elvis. He's too beyond what they are even remotely capable of. Hell, even at his worst, Elvis is 50 times cooler than anyone.

And yes, the whole "Elvis as a joke" thing took on a life of its own and really needs more living down. It's so bad that I don't blame EPE and RCA for using '50s Elvis so much, as much as I dislike it sometimes.

The best revenge is that Elvis (we're biased but..) will always be cool and important, "right out of the box," be it now or fifty years from now. Sure, not as current, but only more impressive with time. I say that partly because sometimes the hype machine behind Elvis and the real love for him makes even me need a break. The dying down of the Elvis publicity machine isn't the worst thing to happen to his legacy. I welcome it, if only to kill off some of the negative stuff. From about '81 with Goldman's book (or was it '79, with ABC's Dr. Nick expose?), things were downhill for the Elvis legacy, slowing down only recently.

Now anti-Elvis jokes seem really passe, or maybe I'm wrong. When someone brings it up, it's like a tired lame John and Lorena Bobbitt (who??) or O.J. Simpson joke or President Clinton / Monica joke or any other brief obsession.

Thankfully, the cream of Elvis' legacy does not fade away like these (true) jokes.

Fri May 16, 2003 6:49 am

Hey IMETJB, please dont be so naive and ignorant as to claim 1.5 billion people. dont you know thats only for people who believe in myths, fairytales and think Elvis was a wonderful person. actually it was about 120 that tuned in, because remember hardly anyone owned a tv over in the Far East and Hawaii. Then went it was broadcast to Europe, the audience increases prob to 425.. but man when it came to America, the tv audience went skyhigh. estimates are 1000. soooo in all total, about 1750 people watched it across the world. 1.5 billion???????? get outta here!

Wow that number's pretty far off 1.5 billion or even 1 billion.
Just curious Kylan why you think people in Asia didn't own televisions in 1973?
Also, why do you say people who believe that Elvis was a wonderful person are naive and ignorant?

(I'm not being a smart-ass here, these are actual questions I'd like you to answer)

Fri May 16, 2003 6:51 am

Actually, Kylan is kidding... he's being sarcastic because of the number of people who claim to be "realistic" Elvis fans.

He's getting more creative with it, too! lol :lol:

Fri May 16, 2003 6:56 am

Im glad someone gets it! thanks Mike, so I dont have to explain! lol

Fri May 16, 2003 6:58 am

, please dont be so naive and ignorant as to claim 1.5 billion people. dont you know thats only for people who believe in myths, fairytales and think Elvis was a wonderful person.

No matter what the so called "numbers" are it's safe to say that Elvis was viewed by 98% of the world from that one single show...did 98% of the world watch it at the same time? Probably not. But it's important because when the show eventually reached the countries that "didn't have television sets"...people wanted to still see this show.

Nevertheless, Elvis was still popular in his late 30's in 1973 that he still had that many people interested. That was my original intention of my post...not to shell out numbers left and right but to say that Elvis was still RELEVANT in the 70's
Last edited by Justin on Fri May 16, 2003 7:09 am, edited 4 times in total.

Fri May 16, 2003 7:00 am

Read Mike's response, got it now?? lol

Fri May 16, 2003 7:09 am

Nice K!

Man, I'm slowin' down in my old age.
You kinda threw me for a loop... crap!!!

Fri May 16, 2003 7:12 am

Iiiii seeeee...... :wink:

Fri May 16, 2003 8:03 am

After a while (on this board) it's not so hard to see where Kylan is coming from. :lol:

:twisted:

Fri May 16, 2003 10:37 am

...just to be safe I say 1-1.5 billion, that way I don't get accused of wearing prescription rose-colored glasses, just the regular kind. Of course those numbers mean nothing because there was just one channel back then and people had to walk to the TV to turn it off in those days, except for Elvis who was crass enough to have a remote control while people were starving.

Fri May 16, 2003 6:21 pm

Here's why Elvis isn't as highly regarded as a rock icon by the general public and some music critics as Lennon, Dylan, Morrison ect.: in the mid-60's with the advent of the Beatles, Dylan, the Stones, rock & roll evolved into "rock". By 1967 the music had become "heavier", more self-conscious, and even downright pretentious. These hugely influential artists changed the rules of the game, and set the standards that all who followed would be judged by: writing your own material, playing an instrument, being creative lyrically and/or melodically, exploring/exploiting the possibilities of multi-track recording, and last but by no means least, being poster boys for the drug/counter-culture. In the wake of these artists the school of rock journalism/criticism sprang to life (epitomized by Rolling Stone) and this new school of rock critics became the dominant voice in music journalism. This school, dedicated primarily to "cutting-edge" rock, judged everything by these new standards, and also tended to view other, non-rock forms of music (with the exception of blues) less than generously. Whilst this was taking place Elvis was offering up his worst work: the cornball films & accompanying soundtracks. Because of these films/music Elvis' credibility with these critics was "shot". Most of these critics did acknowledge and even praise the greatness of Elvis' 68-70 comeback, but his drift into what was basically lounge music in the early 70's alienated them, and the inconsistant, assembly line albums didn't help. Fast forward to 76-77, Elvis was substantially more than just overweight and the overall quality of the shows had become a problem. Then he died an ugly death, and the s#*t really hit the fan. For the next 10 years, we had 1 book after another which catered to the voyeuristic tendencies in all of us, giving us the "inside scoop" on his drug abuse, his obesity, his sexual habits, and on and on and on ad nauseum. The Goldman book was the epitome of this, and it was this image of Elvis that our modern day sensationalistic, tabloid school of journalism has perpetuated. But then something happened: a re-focus on what ultimately made Elvis matter in the first place - the music. The 50's box was a brilliant reminder of why Elvis was "the king of rock & roll". The 60's box , divorced from the movie recordings, showed that it wasn't all downhill after the army until the Memphis sessions, but rather that there was a respectable body of work produced during these years. And The 70's box gave ample evidence that Elvis was far more than a fat, sweaty joke in a jumpsuit. Instead we get a picture of a remarkably diverse singer still in possession of a great, and at times even extraordinary voice! finally, Peter Guralniks 2 volume biography has gone a long way towards restoring a balanced perspective to Elvis' life and career.

Sat May 17, 2003 12:22 am

I love all you guys, you are my true idols!

Sat May 17, 2003 12:58 am

Pete -

Very well put !

Elvis has enjoyed a bit of a renaissance lately.

Not just with the public, but with the critics/music pundits.

His role and position in the overall scheme of things has been re-assessed upwards.

His 50's work [in its entirety] and selective parts of his 60's & 70's output have [with the benefit of hindsight] been given their rightful place in music history and the respect they undoubtedly deserve.

The late 70's decline [so loved by the tabloid media] is seen as the minor short-lived phase which it was.

The 60's films are also seen as merely a phase [albeit a longer one] through which his career went.

But the whirlwind of the 50's innovation, the early 60's & late 60's/early 70's studio work together with his stage performances have finally overshadowed the weaker moments of his career.

It's just a pity that this critical recognition has come some 25 years after his death.

Colin B

Sat May 17, 2003 1:04 am

Well put Pete Dube, but I still think My Way 77 is a cut above, and a very good Coda to the end of the most Legendary Entertainor/artist of the 20th century(next to Bing..just kidding).

Sat May 17, 2003 1:08 am

Kylan

As usual sarcastic ! I dont believe Elvis was being watched live for 1.5 billion. If you want to count people who have seen the concert , you have to count also people like us that have seen in VH1.

It doesnt take honour and pride of the show but I think it is inflated more than it was. I asked a lot of non-Elvis fans, and nobody remembered that show, but they remembered more the Ed Sullivan and other 50s tv shows.

Francesc

Sat May 17, 2003 4:34 am

He was 38 years when Elvis did Aloha, and could still hold the world at his command. It was at the Honolulu International Center Arena, which was broadcast by Intelsat TV satellite and viewed simultaneously by more than One Billion People in over Forty Countries, thus making it another world record-breaker for Elvis, and telvision history. This special was seen on more american homes than man's first walk on the moon! Though it was televised around the world, Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii was actually a benefit concert for the Kui Lee Cancer Found, which was based in Hawaii. Elvis received a plaue from thr organization for his efforts in making the concert such a success.
There was two concerts. One was in the afternoon and then the evening show. Elvis preformed mostly all the same songs, but there was a couple of songs different from the two concerts. And can you believe seeing Elvis for what you could afford? Yep, that is indeed was the price for this concert. There was no set price, just put in what you could afford. Which again shows how Elvis was the King of Rock, because as Elvis said on the show they raised $75.000 for the Kui Lee

:twisted:

Sat May 17, 2003 5:26 am

IMO you just need to suck it up and get over it, nothing will change their minds. To some people Elvis was an idol, an image, to others he's a joke. To each his own. What you need to do is choose to remember the Elvis you know. Not theirs. Simple as that.

You both are correct. Elvis was one of the greatest in Rock 'n Roll, he also became a man far removed from that image...the "Elvis, What Happened?" (if you will)

I, for one, would be happy if I never saw some of these "weird" (to me) pictures of Elvis in his jump-suits. IMO he looks horrible and it only fuels the negative reaction you receive from your co-workers.

BTW if your lucky, one of them probably listens to Michael Jackson. :)

Sat May 17, 2003 6:20 am

Sure, Change', some morons aren't worth the effort. But as Pete Dube puts across so well (thank, fella), the tide has changed a bit, for the better. So those of us with the energy, let's talk up and play Elvis when possible.

One thing, though, Pete: I fail to see how Elvis' '70s work was essentially "lounge music" or some such as you put it. If you meant the critics thought so, well okay. But I disagree with this characterization. But then, what's wrong with a lounge and the music in one anyway? Did anyone ever sound better in one?

One of the great fallacies of rock'n' roll, particularly what became just "rock" was that anything slow, say, a ballad, that had a touch of smoothness and or melody was inherently suspect - just like anyone over 30 years of age. To the degree that Elvis began singing for adults in 1968 (his audience after all, now qualified) and trucked in ballads, not just rock 'n' roll, he was on the outs with young people with little appreciation for such things.

I find it comical how prevalent this attutude became as later generations still ape the '60s rock attitude. But in fairness, in recent years things like Frank Sinatra, big bands of the '40s, etc. have seen more interest from youngsters eager to go pass the "noise" of so much of today's rock.

Elvis is a bridge across these worlds.

Sat May 17, 2003 7:44 am

Elvis is a bridge across these worlds.

Elvis is the trunk of the Mighty Music Tree. All limbs and fruit branch off of him. The four roots are blues, gospel, country and pop.

Elvis - Southern Sonic Deity