All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

elvis is not so fondly remembered

Thu May 15, 2003 2:10 pm

i've just started a new job and the topic of music came up in conversation and of course i mentioned i was an elvis fan,what shocked me the most is the condesension and very narrow minded opinions that my fellow workmates seem to have of elvis presley,mainly to do with the weight and the jumpsuits (of which these were referred to as baby rumper suits) and only one of these persons casually liked his music.to the non elvis fan he will always be more remembered for being the fat hamburger lovin superstar who died while sitting on the toilet.this is the image that a lot of people seem to have of him,of course i don't share these views as i am a elvis fan.

Thu May 15, 2003 2:34 pm

Don't let such uneducated idiots bother you Julian. These are the same people who have watched "That's the way it is" and said Elvis was fat and over the hill in that documentary. Personally I don't let people like that bother me anymore. I think this past year pretty much sealed the fact that Elvis's impact and status is still beyond compare till this day and changed alot of the negative thinking which had been around for a long time. There is still going to be jealous people who have no clue on Elvis or what he was about, that's their loss. Like Elvis once said "If everybody liked the same things the world would be a boring place".

Thu May 15, 2003 4:29 pm

Ehhhh - don't worry about it.

Ignorance ....... pure & simple.

Elvis Presley - Artist of the Century, American Icon, Legend, Myth ........ it always has been and shall always be - the music. Even the "other" music legends acknowledge "The King."

N8
...just a fan....

Thu May 15, 2003 5:20 pm

I want to see ANY of these jokers come up with who they think is a better singer! There is none,,,,,,,,just dare them!
JEFF d
EPFAN!

Thu May 15, 2003 5:44 pm

Julian -

Change jobs.

Colin B

Thu May 15, 2003 6:19 pm

ColinB wrote:Julian -

Change jobs.

Colin B

Good one Colin LOL

:lol:

Thu May 15, 2003 8:04 pm

I think we all know from experience that it's often not "cool" to be an Elvis fan. And "Elvis Tribute Artists" have not helped us in our plight, either.

Beatles or Rolling Stones fans are always seen as cool, but we carry on regardless!

One thing I bet will happen, if you get the initial teasing by your co-workers, I bet you slowly they'll come up and quietly ask you a question about Elvis or share a tidbit they heard on the news or read in a paper concerning Elvis with you. Alot of people want to be Elvis fans, or are secretly casual Elvis fans, and you can be the catalyst that turns them into full-fledged fans! Has anyone had similar experiences?

Thu May 15, 2003 8:13 pm

Very true! I've rubbed off on a few people without anything initiated on my end, really. Now, we're not all taking a bus trip to Graceland this summer, but I would say that I have increased some people's degree of "fanhood", or whatever you wanna call it.

Not to say I haven't run into a lot of ignorant fools...

Re: elvis is not so fondly remembered

Thu May 15, 2003 8:40 pm

julian wrote:i've just started a new job and the topic of music came up in conversation and of course i mentioned i was an elvis fan,what shocked me the most is the condesension and very narrow minded opinions that my fellow workmates seem to have of elvis presley,mainly to do with the weight and the jumpsuits (of which these were referred to as baby rumper suits).

I think this is the same all over. And remember that we, the fans, are not as many as we seems to believe. The fat Elvis of the 70's has certainly made people see him as a parody on himself, and that we must live with.

Thu May 15, 2003 9:05 pm

Yeah I'd say he's got about a couple hundred fans. but damn he had a drug problem and liked to eat so he's just a joke.. poor Elvis..

Go play your vinyl dude!

Thu May 15, 2003 9:10 pm

fat hamburger lovin superstar who died while sitting on the toilet

Unfortunately, smug smartass people who make fun of Elvis (and I've worked with my fair share) have ammo to insult because Elvis Presley let this terrible thing happen to Elvis Presley.

Myself, and many fans, spent decades defending The King but its always in some sort of denial. It isn't right to call him those things (like the above quote) but sad but true, that's what happened.

Elvis, what happened?

Thu May 15, 2003 9:14 pm

really gardner? thanks for sharing, wouldnt have known if it wasn't for you "fans" ahem..... who are always reminding us he was a "fat hamburger lovin superstar who died while sitting on the toilet" Elvis is definitely blessed to have "fans" like you to spread the word! keep it up!

Thu May 15, 2003 9:17 pm

Kylan,

that was a direct quote from Julian who started this thread. he reminded us!!!

Elvis is definitely blessed to have "fans" like Julian to bring this volitile subject up every so often! keep it up!

For years I've had to deal with pricks who made this very same comments about Elvis. On the playground in 1977-1979 I punched them in the mouth. But what are supposed to do as a mature adult fan?

Thu May 15, 2003 9:26 pm

Unfortunately, Elvis wasn't 170 lbs size 32 and sitting at the piano singing when he had his heart failure. . If he had, we wouldn't be having this discussion and Elvis would be respected and fawned and cooed over like the Beatles/John Lennon. sadly life isnt perfect! I however get over the bullcrap and and love him anyway!

Thu May 15, 2003 9:37 pm

(On the playground in 1977-1979 I punched them in the mouth. But what are supposed to do as a mature adult fan?)

Punch them in the mouth.......twice.

Seriously, though, I also dealt with my share of ar$es and their comments. A few stats & facts of his amazing career and the direct question of "Idiot, have you listened to the music? Do you know what the hell you're even talking about?" generally shuts them up quickly. If that doesn't work...remind them of what can happen on playgrounds.

Thu May 15, 2003 9:40 pm

the sad fact is that too many people tend to remember the end & the bad things of famous people (i'm talking non elvis fans here) it just seems to be human nature,anyhow who cares what they say about presley......

elvis will rock forever!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Last edited by julian on Thu May 15, 2003 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PLAY THEM THE MUSIC!

Thu May 15, 2003 9:42 pm

Find a way to play Elvis' music, not overblowing it!
I've done so on many of the places I've been working! I've often received comments like: "Is that Elvis?" .. "Never heard that one, good song..."

Thu May 15, 2003 9:58 pm

Just look at what Jim Morrison looked like when he died and he wa only 27! I think he fixed himself up in Paris some before he died, but he was still a fat bloated alcholic drug addict and people just go on and on about what a "Rock God" he was!
JEFF d
EPFAN

Thu May 15, 2003 10:12 pm

Nice one Eagle!!!

If some of these imbeciles would take the time to educate themselves.
I guess that can applied to more than just Elvis.

Anyway, I think all it takes is to sit them down and have them take a look at a DVD
of Elvis singing "Ready Teddy" on Ed Sullivan in '56 or "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" in '68
or "Suspicious Minds" in '70 or even "American Trilogy" in '73...
How can they not bow down to the television set and repeat over and over and over...

WE'RE NOT WORTHY... WE'RE NOT WORTHY... WE'RE NOT WORTHY!!!

Elvis was, is and will always be the KING... anyway way you slice it.

Thu May 15, 2003 11:15 pm

The reasons for this are beyond Elvis' end but they are nearly all hypocritical. One of the main reasons, to me, that Elvis is put down is class and his rural backgroun. Poor young hillbillies are not supposed to change the world. From the start people have hated him for that. When you read the reviews from the 50s the attacks are as much hatred of his southern heritage than actual criticism. "A jug of corn liquor at a champaign wedding". Then he was never forgiven by the intelligentsia for refusing to forsake his roots in poor southern life. A lot of the hate towards Elvis at least back then was disguised racism. Elvis was mixing black and white cultures. He was mounting them as equals a big no no back then. Sadly, later Elvis became a scapegoat on the other side of the argument as black America needed to establish its own heroes.

Then you have to deal with the people who think things were better before Elvis. They actually liked the phony, sexless sterile world of McCarthyism and conformity that Elvis destroyed. Things were great until he came along. "Yes, pop music had melodies back then".

Perhaps even more devastating is the baby boomers need to have their idols stand at #1. "It was all fun and silliness till the Beatles came along." All 50s idols are dismissed by criticism written by the boomer generation. "Music meant more to us". "We took it more seriously". Self-seriously.

Then there is the fundamental misunderstanding of some fans about how pop music works. They hear Elvis didn't write songs and conclude he wasn't an artist. Pop music greatness stems from performance.

All of the views of Elvis are filtered through these prisms. Ok, he made silly movies but so did many stars. Ok, he wore crazy outfits. Again so did many stars. I have a pitcher of Mick Jagger where he is wearing a That's the Way it is type jumpsuit. Yet only Elvis is belittled for it.

Finally, we have to deal with the fact that many people are shallow and stupid. If someone is fat well obviously they can't be a great artist. They only look at surfaces. Marlon Brando has the same trouble obtaining his just respect these days among young people.

Thu May 15, 2003 11:17 pm

I've done quite a bit of "opinion-converting" (some of the ways of which will surely surprise you), but as a fan, I have to say that knowledge is power.

When they say "he's dead", I usually say something like "Sports fans still talk about greats gone by - this is NO different"

The fat jokes and drugs and everything else can be explained away... sure, I sugar-coat it, but why is it their business anyway? I mention twisted colon, water retention, heart trouble that ran in the family, etc, etc, citing that it was mostly the water retention that made him look puffy (I tell them not fat, just puffy) The weight was mostly in the gut, and that wasn't much.

This usually works. Then they'll start asking questions instead of making accusations.

If they do keep it up, though, and say "yeah, but he was really this and this", remind them of the books you've read, documentaries you've watched, and the people you talk to... then ask them where they got their information.... "from a TV show you say? Open your mouth when you know what your talking about, until then, listen to the people who do."

Some of these are kinda out there, use at your own discretion, but they do work for me.

Their ignorance doesn't bother me, so much as that they don't understand that they're ignorant. Show them what is truly out there, and 9/10s of the people will back down.

And for the other 1/10th... I will refer you to Eagle USA's post. lol!

Fri May 16, 2003 12:26 am

Yeah...I had several conversations about Elvis here and the majority is them bashing the later Elvis...Hey...I LOVE the later Elvis!! 70's Elvis----bring it on!!

The main argument is that Elvis was only important cuz of what he did in the 50's...after that he didn't accomplish much....I obviously don't find that be all true...he still was very popular enough to win over 1.5 billion people in 1973....

People.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Fri May 16, 2003 12:40 am

1.5 billion where?

REPEATING MYSELF BUT..

Fri May 16, 2003 1:24 am

Play the music to people! If it's not on the radio, bring your CDR's out!
And, don't forget the children! I have four, in the ages of 29 -3,5!
The youngest can't get enough of Elvis! I have compiled two "HOLLYWOOD" cd's which is a must in the car, along with E1.
This kid is reaching 4, and he loves the soundtracks! And he also likes all the tracks on E1!?
The other, 6 year old girl, goes for the SPICE GIRLS, BRITNEY style, but even she snaps fingers, when some of the funkiest Elvis tunes comes on!
RUBBERNECKIN', LET US PRAY, I GOT LUCKY, LET YOURSELF GO, LITTLE EGYPT tmaf!
This is the way folks! Let the children and the youngsters be fed, and they tell!
I'm amazed by how these two children admires the music! For the two elders, they are more the PINK FLOYD people! But, they never stop mentioning Elvis and songs, springing through their mind, remembering them from me playing them, way back!
But, the main point about them: They really put Elvis into the leauge!
Not fans, but they easily pick SUSPICIOUS MINDS when talking about Elvis! So, there you go!

Fri May 16, 2003 1:54 am

1.5 billion where?

I was referring to the Aloha from Hawaii TV special. :D