All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

It Hurts Me - Undubbed Master

Wed May 14, 2003 2:55 pm

Does anyone know if the undubbed master of It Hurts Me is available on any other CD other than the Australian CD Elvis In Demand? Prior to this release it was first released on vinyl single in Italy.

For those interested you can save the file from http://www.geocities.com/papamueller200 ... elease.mp3

Re: It Hurts Me - Undubbed Master

Wed May 14, 2003 3:04 pm

ALT+CTRL+DEL
Last edited by vinyljunkie on Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 14, 2003 3:09 pm

This track: It hurts me from the Aussie RCA CD Elvis in Demand is complete in MONO WITHOUT the Jordanaires Background Vocals!!
Also this appears on the Elvis in Demand RCA Vinyl LP + the Italian Vinyl single version.
I don't know any other RCA BMG CD who has this take WITHOUT the complete Vocal Backgrounds.
Is there any other CD source with this identical take without the background vocals??
Andy-M.

Wed May 14, 2003 3:25 pm

Thanks for correction 'vinyljunkie'.

Wed May 14, 2003 11:34 pm

Yes John,it's on Easy come;easy go(bootleg)

The sound on this is not so clear as on Elvis in demand,but it's nice to have it anyway,even tough it was released as a mistake ( based on the original album wich was pressed on this cd,-check out import list for more details)

The songs are all in stereo on this release but they all suffer from heavy dolby pressure.

Wed May 14, 2003 11:49 pm

Hi John & Johan,
thanks for the Info!!
BUT, does this version appear on any other official RCA BMG CD??
Or is the Elvis in Demand RCA Aussie CD the ONLY RCA BMG CD who has this special Version??
Thanks,
Andy-M.

Wed May 14, 2003 11:50 pm

In mono without backup singers?

Sounds to me like they just took out the channel that had the Jordanaires in it and put the other channel in the middle...

Wed May 14, 2003 11:57 pm

Don't know how it was done, but the Elvis in Demand Aussie RCA CD has the It Hurts Me track complete without any Background Vocals from the Jordanaires.!! And it is in MONO.
All other BMG CD's have incl. the vocals.
The same counts for the Vinyl LP from Elvis in Demand!
Also I have heard that it appears also on the Original Italian RCA Vinyl Single!
Andy-M.

Thu May 15, 2003 12:05 am

Andy-M wrote:Don't know how it was done, but the Elvis in Demand Aussie RCA CD has the It Hurts Me track complete without any Background Vocals from the Jordanaires.!! And it is in MONO.
All other BMG CD's have incl. the vocals.
The same counts for the Vinyl LP from Elvis in Demand!
Also I have heard that it appears also on the Original Italian RCA Vinyl Single!
Andy-M.

Yes it is on the italian 45. But it is no big deal. Just unplug one of your RCA plugs and push the mono button and you have exactly the same version.

Thu May 15, 2003 12:49 am

I agree it's not a big deal, but still an interesting variation. I am helping a friend compile a database consisting of every recording that is available and where to obtain it from thus my question.

I think the version on the Easy Come Easy Go CD is in mono but has the Jordanaires vocal. From memory wasn't it lifted from some Dutch LP?

Thu May 15, 2003 6:58 am

Thanks for the file Evan :lol:

Thu May 15, 2003 8:40 pm

Hi Vinylman,
you said, it's not a big deal. (I for myself think it is)!
Does this also counts for this track: "Lover Doll" from King Creole??
This track also exists with + without Backing Vocals.
It's exact the same thing!
Diff. Releases on Vinyl Single + Vinyl LP!
I think there is a difference !!
Also it is very interessting to see that this Rare track is only available as official on the Elvis in Demand Aussie RCA CD!!
Do you know any other RCA BMG CD who has this??
Andy-M.

Thu May 15, 2003 8:44 pm

Here is the Cat. Nr. of the Italian CD.

Kissin' Cousins / It Hurts Me RCA Victor 7" 45N-1410 , black label.

Andy-M.

Thu May 15, 2003 10:20 pm

By removing one of the stereo channels & making what's left mono, any number of 'odd' tracks can be produced on Elvis records.

These would have little commercial or artistic value.

The only 'rare' thing about this version of 'It Hurts Me' is that it got an 'official' release from RCA/BMG.

Colin B

DUTCH LP/FUNNY OUTPUT!

Thu May 15, 2003 11:03 pm

I can't remember now, but I think it was a Dutch LP release, years ago, that came out in MONO, somehow remastered from stereo source, leaving out one of the channels.
Many of these songs appeared on an old CD called: EASY COME, EASY GO
by AJR RECORDS 080379.
Among the songs on it, was WILD IN THE COUNTRY with the UK latin percussion overdub version!
It also contained YOU'RE A HEARTBREAKER without the echo!
And, it included, by then, the first stereo releases of the EASY COME, EASY GO soundtrack EP!

Fri May 16, 2003 3:08 am

Andy-M wrote:Hi Vinylman,
you said, it's not a big deal. (I for myself think it is)!
Does this also counts for this track: "Lover Doll" from King Creole??
This track also exists with + without Backing Vocals.
It's exact the same thing!
Diff. Releases on Vinyl Single + Vinyl LP!
I think there is a difference !!

You cannot compare these two tracks. If you had followed the discussion you would have seen the difference and understood my explanation. It hurts me is not overdubbed while Lover doll is overdubbed. It's not the same thing. Having the stereo version you can create your own version of the italian It hurts me. Having the LP version of Lover doll doesn't help you much creating the EP version!!

Any clearer?

Fri May 16, 2003 3:45 am

Hi Vinylman,
thanks for your explanation!!
I understand now what you mean in making this kind of track from a Stereo source. And ofcourse you can not create from the Lover Doll LP Version the Single Version.
But the result in hearing the Audio tracks It Hurts Me + Lover Doll are the same for me! Both tracks in Mono, the It Hurts Me + Loverdoll track without backing vocals sounded to my ears the same.
But maybe I'm wrong.
Andy-M.
PS also the point is not to create yourself a version without backing vocals.
The point is there exist originaly released BMG tracks with & without backing vocals.

Fri May 16, 2003 7:55 am

Talking about this mono versus stereo raises an interesting question, does anyone have/know of a program for the PC that can actaully determine the status or stereo/mono of a particaular track ? I've tried with many programs (Nero, Magix Cleaning Lab, etc) ..they all indicate 16bit 44.100 khz stereo as the properties & yet they even say this when it IS Mono. Other than your ears how do some of you determine stereo/mono ?

Fri May 16, 2003 8:21 am

That's a hard one. They play the Mono track through both left and right speakers to get it sounding from the middle. So It will always be picked up as stereo.

Fri May 16, 2003 10:10 am

I always come up with a hard one Sam :shock:

Say Sam, ......... 'catch this Sam'.... , have you ever caught it Sam ? :lol:

Fri May 16, 2003 12:02 pm

Ray -

Stereo/Mono

In the end, it is down to the ears !

Headphones are a help.

Colin B

Fri May 16, 2003 3:30 pm

ALT+CTRL+DEL
Last edited by vinyljunkie on Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stereo/Mono

Fri May 16, 2003 9:12 pm

<Talking about this mono versus stereo raises an interesting question, does anyone have/know of a program for the PC that can actaully determine the status or stereo/mono of a particaular track ? I've tried with many programs (Nero, Magix Cleaning Lab, etc) ..they all indicate 16bit 44.100 khz stereo as the properties & yet they even say this when it IS Mono. Other than your ears how do some of you determine stereo/mono ?

Ray,

Music on a CD must be two channel, 16 bit, 44.1KHz, so any CD you check will have these properties.

Mono music on CD is applied in one of two ways. Sometimes, the original mono sound is transferred to a mono (one track) digital format for mastering, then to be put on CD an exact copy of it is made so they have two channels worth, this would be true two track mono. In other cases, they either use a splitter to send the mono sound into two digital tracks, or sometimes a mono mix that was originally applied to twin track tape will have both tracks sent to two digital tracks, and in both of these cases, the recordings would sound mono to the ear, but there would be very subtle differences in the actual twin tracks on the CD.

With Cool Edit, for example, a good way to check if it if mono or stereo is to use the Channel Mixer function. If you use this feature and select Vocal Cut in the list of channel mix choices, this will invert one channel and then add both channels together. If the music true mono where both channels are identical, you will have nothing when you get done with this operation. If all you have left is noise, then the recording is either from a twin track mono tape or a mono tape split into two channels. If you actually hear some real music after performing this operation, then you have a stereo recording, with different mixes on the two channels.

Keep in mind, I've never tried this with one of those reprocessed stereo releases, where a mono mix was processed to make it sound stereo, so I am not at all sure what the results of that would be. The first several Elvis CD releases (Elvis Presley and Golden Records 1) were released in this fashion and are quite collectable today.

I hope this helps.

Greg

NO JORDANAIRES!!!

Sat May 17, 2003 12:36 pm

There is a spanish EP with this version of "It hurts me" on it. They also did the same thing to "Suspicion" and "Kiss me quick", ie without the Jordanaires channel for whatever reason!!!
TONY DOBB

Sat May 17, 2003 1:04 pm

Thanks for all the stereo/mono replies guys.

Greg, if all cd tracks are 2 channel 16bit 44.100khz then on the new box set Close Up coming out in July, these are touted as being stereo because they are 2 track...but wouldn't they be 2 track anyway when ON THE CD
following on with that info that all cd tracks are 2 channel 16 bit 44.100khz ? Or am I missing something here ?

Shouldn't a PC program be able to determine thatboth tracks are an exact copy of each other...hence mono ? If there was a 'difference' between the 2 tracks then this would obviously (?) be stereo or binaural, or again am I not getting my head around this properly ? (which is possible).