All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

The endlessly entertaining '68 Comeback Special'

Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:22 am

Welcome to NBC & The Elvis Presley Special -->>

' Never looked for trouble, but I've never ran' > Elvis sings on TROUBLE from the fantastic June 29, 1968, second stand-up show. Watched it through again and what fantastic entertainment!

'Heartbreak Hotel' - 'All Shook Up' - 'Jailhouse Rock' and a particular favourite version of 'Don't Be Cruel' (moby dick!) are just some of the fabulous selections. And additionally, the closing BLACK LEATHER version of - 'If I Can Dream' - Wow!

One of his finest moments along with the first legendary stand-up segment that includes the bluesy Impromptu, ' Baby What You want Me To Do' jam - awesome!

Question: Which is the better of the two shows?

Answer: Both brilliant > you can't compare gold with gold!

Any thoughts?

Re: The endlessly entertaining '68 Comeback Special'

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:50 am

a mess of polk salad wrote:Welcome to NBC & The Elvis Presley Special -->>

' Never looked for trouble, but I've never ran' > Elvis sings on TROUBLE from the fantastic June 29, 1968, second stand-up show. Watched it through again and what fantastic entertainment!

'Heartbreak Hotel' - 'All Shook Up' - 'Jailhouse Rock' and a particular favourite version of 'Don't Be Cruel' (moby dick!) are just some of the fabulous selections. And additionally, the closing BLACK LEATHER version of - 'If I Can Dream' - Wow!

One of his finest moments along with the first legendary stand-up segment that includes the bluesy Impromptu, ' Baby What You want Me To Do' jam - awesome!

Question: Which is the better of the two shows?

Answer: Both brilliant > you can't compare gold with gold!

Any thoughts?


I love 'em both, but mainly because Elvis is so committed to his performance. The 6pm show is a bit longer, but "Jailhouse Rock" is better in the 8pm performance. The way he does "Heartbreak Hotel" at each concert is like Samson tearing down the temple. I wish a together version had made the original broadcast.

Re: The endlessly entertaining '68 Comeback Special'

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:20 pm

I really love both shows!

Re: The endlessly entertaining '68 Comeback Special'

Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:50 am

vinelvis wrote:I really love both shows!


What are some of your favorite moments from the stand up performances?

Re: The endlessly entertaining '68 Comeback Special'

Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
vinelvis wrote:I really love both shows!


What are some of your favorite moments from the stand up performances?

I like the opening of both shows. Elvis sounds fantastic on Hartbreak hotel! Too bad the sounds goes out on the first show.
Can't help falling in love is also great. The best live version of the song for me.
Blue suede shoes in the first show sounds also really good. One of my favorite versions of the song. I know the orchestra's timing is wrong, but I love how Elvis makes it right by saying: Keep it goin'! Aaw, Aaw. ( I hope you understand what I mean )
I also like the jam thing on Baby what do you want me to do.
The whole show is just great!
Blue suede shoes from the second show doesn't have the orchestra going wrong, but I think Elvis sang it better ( with more energy ) during the first show.
Jailhouse rock is also really good performed, the best live version of this song I think.
Both shows are just great!

Re: The endlessly entertaining '68 Comeback Special'

Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:24 am

I mostly prefer the first show at 6pm although,the second version of Jailhouse Rock is even more amazing. Elvis at the Top.

Re: The endlessly entertaining '68 Comeback Special'

Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:32 pm

However great Elvis was in the '68 Special, imagine Elvis live in 1957 when he was gyrating wildly as well as belting out rock 'n' roll numbers. The '68 Special and the 1961 Pearl Harbour concert gives us a glympse into the 22 year Elvis on stage!

Re: The endlessly entertaining '68 Comeback Special'

Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:10 am

Both fabulous impossible to choose both stellar.

I also wish those shows in 61 were recorded because of the only time his voice was still perfect for stuff like It's now or never, etc.


::rocks

Re: The endlessly entertaining '68 Comeback Special'

Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:26 am

Both fabulous impossible to choose both stellar.

I also wish those shows in 61 were recorded because of the only time his voice was still perfect for stuff like It's now or never, etc.


::rocks

Re: The endlessly entertaining '68 Comeback Special'

Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:09 pm

Both fabulous impossible to choose both stellar.

I also wish those shows in 61 were recorded because of the only time his voice was still perfect for stuff like It's now or never, etc.


::rocks

Re: The endlessly entertaining '68 Comeback Special'

Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:41 am

Here are my favorite moments from the two stand up shows;

Baby What You Want Me To Do
The way his hand trembles as he reaches for the mike just before Hearbreak Hotel.
The overhead shots showing Elvis prancing like a caged animal, seemingly ready to attack the audience.
Love Me Tender from both shows
Jailhouse Rock
The way he plays to the two brunette women in the pink outfits in the first row, dropping to his knees during Hound Dog to their great amusement.
"This leather suit's hot I'm telling ya."
The playful jokes and expressions: "my boy my boy, McArthur Park, "Moby Dick!"
Tony Tedesco's guitar work throughout.
Can't Help Falling In Love

Re: The endlessly entertaining '68 Comeback Special'

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:56 pm

Hobbes wrote:Here are my favorite moments from the two stand up shows;

Baby What You Want Me To Do
The way his hand trembles as he reaches for the mike just before Hearbreak Hotel.
The overhead shots showing Elvis prancing like a caged animal, seemingly ready to attack the audience.
Love Me Tender from both shows
Jailhouse Rock
The way he plays to the two brunette women in the pink outfits in the first row, dropping to his knees during Hound Dog to their great amusement.
"This leather suit's hot I'm telling ya."
The playful jokes and expressions: "my boy my boy, McArthur Park, "Moby Dick!"
Tony Tedesco's guitar work throughout.
Can't Help Falling In Love



You have summed it up pretty well.
I love both shows. This footage makes me proud. The King taking care of business. The total pakage. Not enough words to describe these shows.