All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue May 13, 2003 11:02 pm

That is not the correct quotation -- and the presenting of it as "fact" betrays ignorance of the subject and jealousy of the Beatles.

As of 27 August 1965 Elvis hadn't recorded a good rock song since January 1964's "Memphis, Tennessee" -- an eighteen month drought filled with nothing but sessions for garbage soundtrack LPs.

John Lennon's comment is generally cited as something along the lines of "when are you going to cut some more rock and roll records again" -- a question on the minds and lips of millions of Presley fans around the world. It's hardly an insulting query -- except to a myopic, "Elvis-can-do-no-wrong" fanatic.

Like Mr. Lennon -- famous for stating "before Elvis there was nothing" -- most intelligent rock fans were wondering what had happened to the artist who made songs like "Jailhouse Rock" and "One Night."

John had the guts to actually ask the question.

Read and learn!

Thu May 15, 2003 1:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:John Lennon's comment is generally cited as something along the lines of "when are you going to cut some more rock and roll records again" -- a question on the minds and lips of millions of Presley fans around the world. It's hardly an insulting query -- except to a myopic, "Elvis-can-do-no-wrong" fanatic.

Agreed. John Lennon’s comment was hardly insulting; he just asked Elvis an honest question with regards to the direction his music was taking at the time.

I haven’t read any of the Stanley books so I really can’t comment on those, but I do find it hard to believe that Elvis had any interest in the music of Led Zeppelin, or any other hard rock act during the ‘70’s. Elvis generally recorded music that he liked, and during the ‘70’s he seemed much more comfortable with ballads, country and gospel. I know the publishing issues prevented Elvis from recording a number of songs, but these are well documented, and they certainly weren’t hard rock songs. Elvis’ choice of material in later years would even suggest that he didn’t listen to much new music at all after the early seventies, so I really don’t see how Elvis could have been a Led Zeppelin fan.

Thu May 15, 2003 6:57 am

rebel -

As usual, your words make perfect sense.

Thu May 15, 2003 7:39 am

We don't know if Elvis was a fan of Led Zep or not, but he certainly liked them enough to invite them and meet them at his home. He may have liked them because of their love of the old Blues songs that they recorded and played so much. Elvis loved the Blues and Led Zeppelin loved the Blues also, so maybe this was their common ground.Led Zep were certainly more into playing the Blues than the Beatles which is why he may have liked Zep more.
I am a fan of both Led Zep & the Beatles but i always thought that Elvis would feel more at ease with Led Zep than the Beatles because there was no rivalry between them as there obviously was between Elvis and the Beatles when they met.And the Beatles WERE ARROGANT and if the Beatles-can-do-no-wrong fanatics out there don't agree then you may appreciate the way some Elvis fans are.

Piece of info-Jimmy Page said he started playing guitar after hearing Baby Let's Play House!

Promocollector

Thu May 15, 2003 8:16 am

Lennon shot himself in the foot with comments he said and what he said to Elvis is another one. Did he mean to insult him? No. but that was lennon for you. Lennon spoke before using his brain sometimes. He said a lot of stupid things over the years that I am sure he regretted later.

I never said Elvis was a fan of Led Zeppelin. But the Stanleys played Stairway for him and he liked it and he liked them as guys. And a few people who were at both meetings said he enjoyed himself more with Zeppelin. he had a great time. Which was the original topic. A die hard beatles fan will be sad about that but that's the way it is. He refused to meet up with the beatles shortly after their meeting and reportedly made a comment about their bad teeth while out of the room.

He had no such bad attitude when it came to Zeppelin.

And the Elvis-Zeppelin stories and where and when they saw him are in books. It's all there for you to read.

Pretty funny how Beatles fans get soooo uptight when their heros are talked badly about even if it's true. Lighten up.To deny their huge egos and that they were smartasses is pretty funny. Defend them in the off topic board.

Well, I don't think Lennon insulted the King.

Thu May 15, 2003 8:39 am

I think the '65 meeting was not between Elvis vs. Beatles.
It's between Elvis and his avid fans visiting US from UK.
Elvis was their idol(especially John and Paul) and even a Messiah.
"Before Elvis, there's nothing" is a famous remark of John Lennon,
but he also said "Elvis died when he entered the army".
Their idol was pre-Army Elvis, singing "Heartbreak Hotel.
So when John asked, "Elvis, when....." he didn't mean to offend him.
It might be in somewhat rude way, but what John really wanted was '50 Elvis.
There are a bunch of Elvis songs recorded by John in the bootleg albums of Lennon.
I feel John is paying his respect to The King through Elvis songs.

What's really disappointing me was what Elvis said to Nixon in the Oval Office.
"The Beatles, Elvis said, had been a focal point for anti-americanism.
They had to come to this country,made their money and then gone back to England where they fermented anti-american feeling."

The Beatles is great but Elvis is much more than that.

Have a Happy!
Hound_Dog

Thu May 15, 2003 9:26 am

I can't believe what I read on this board sometimes!

Lennon asked a valid question -one which every member of this board should have asked had they had the opportunity.

It was not as if Lennon accused him of wimping out on rock - which was true.

A question that his entourage should have asked every day.

What answer did Elvis give anyway? He could hardly have said that he couldn't find any material considering he was face to face with one of the greatest writers of all time.

Thu May 15, 2003 11:53 am

Robert Plant with a LP of Billy Fury, One Of The Finest Singers Britain Ever Produced

Thu May 15, 2003 6:24 pm

Doc, Rebel, and KiwiAlan: RIGHT ON!

Thu May 15, 2003 8:47 pm

Khmm wrote:I never said Elvis was a fan of Led Zeppelin

My point about Elvis being a Zeppelin fan was in response to the comments made by Graceland Gardener earlier in this thread.

I've often told people that Elvis' favorite hard rock group was Led Zeppelin. I believe that to be true

I’m aware of the fact that Elvis met Led Zeppelin, and may well have enjoyed their company, but that doesn’t necessarily make him a fan of their music. My original point was that I doubt Elvis had a favourite hard rock band in the ‘70’s, or listened to much hard rock music at all for that matter. I certainly wasn’t criticising Led Zeppelin, or bemoaning the point that Elvis may have thought better of Led Zeppelin as people, than he did of The Beatles. Whichever band he preferred doesn’t really matter to me. The point I was trying to make was about where Elvis was at musically during the ‘70’s. I also referred to the John Lennon remark, because the original post about what Lennon was supposed to have said was way off the mark. I see no reason to defend Lennon’s comments here, because he never said anything insulting in the first place.

As for being uptight, this thread has seen John Lennon misquoted, a derogatory reference has been made towards his place of birth, and the condition of The Beatles’ teeth has even been raised by the Elvis fans that post here, which begs the question who is being uptight here; the Elvis fans or The Beatles fans? Like many other fans that post here, I enjoy the music of both artists. Of course everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and free to listen whatever they choose, but I don’t see the need for the misinformation, and derogatory comments that seem to appear every time The Beatles are mentioned in a thread on this board. Sadly, some things never change.
Last edited by rockinrebel on Fri May 16, 2003 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 15, 2003 9:05 pm

"I don't believe in Elvis."
- John Lennon 1971

Thu May 15, 2003 10:15 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:"I don't believe in Elvis."
- John Lennon 1971

These are lyrics from the John Lennon song "God". They have nothing to do with the 1965 Elvis-Beatles meeting, and I don't see how they are relevant to this thread.

Thu May 15, 2003 10:38 pm

John Lennon also said something along the lines of "I love you Elvis" during his Madison Square Garden concert in '72 and performed his own version of Hound Dog as well. I have no doubt that he was always a fan of Elvis but like everyone else he had his own favourite period of Elvis' music (the 50's).
I am sure that there was a lot of people that were fans of Elvis' in the 50's that were disappointed at the direction Elvis' career took after he came out of the army and John was one of them.There are also a lot of fans on this message board that feel the same way now.

Promocollector

Thu May 15, 2003 10:56 pm

Right on again Rebel! And as for Elvis fans being uptight, it's really just the "Elvis can do no wrong" faction! I guess the Beatles are on the s#8t list of these folks because they failed to collectively drop to their knees before Elvis' presence, bow down and repeatedly chant "we are not worthy".

Thu May 15, 2003 11:13 pm

When told that Elvis had died it was rumored that John said something along the lines that "Elvis died in the military...send him a bouquet".
This statement is totally assinine. To deny everything after 1960 is rediculous. 1969 made Elvis a legend, not just a relic from the 50's.

John is notorious for making idiotic statements. I agree that he often spoke before he thought it through.I loved when the reporter asked the Beatles what they thought of being just 4 Elvis'. John of course said..."well they must be blind" Ringo was quicker though and said shaking Elvis style "its not true, its not true!!" This is a perfect example of using tact over just having a hot head.

Elvis rarely made personal statements toward anyone. Many of the ideals of the 60's are dated and that is why Elvis music endures to this day. The movies are just as timeless. Many people grew up on this Saturday afternoon entertainment. John was bitter and really stopped listening to Elvis past 1950's. That is why he probably had no idea about Suspicious Minds or In the Ghetto or Trilogy. A shame really.

By the way, I don't think it is unreasonable to say that Led Zeppelin had a better meeting with Elvis, then the Beatles did with him. The Beatles was publicized and expected, the other was casual. Of course it is going to be natural and full of less expectations. I don't know why the Doc attacks people for making simple factual statements. Seems like somebody else has the "do no wrong" attitude.

Thu May 15, 2003 11:20 pm

Oh Hound_dog, I missed your post. It is a rude statement by John. Elvis was past that point and the Beatles missed it. Elvis wasn't a follower of a "movement". Been there done that.

As far as the Nixon comments, I in a way agree. Many of the draft dodgers of that time were anti-american. They didn't want to follow the law, they wanted to avoid it. Instead of going to jail, most took deferments and let others spill their blood instead. It isn't a stretch to lump the Beatles in there as well. Elvis liked Muhammed Ali, which to me is the other end of the spectrum. Besides, never forget Elvis was on a mission to meet the president and be a Federal Agent. He mainly was telling Nixon what he wanted to hear. I look at it like this:

Most greats hate their competition. Elvis did it, in a smarter way. He didn't put down the Beatles art, he put down their views. Not the same thing really. Elvis loved their music and played several of their songs. Can you imagine if he would have met John and said "why don't you go back to I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND!!"

Fri May 16, 2003 5:47 am

Khmm:

Lennon spoke before using his brain sometimes.

genesim:

John is notorious for making idiotic statements.

Irony, anyone? It's served on this MB -- 24/7.

God bless!

Fri May 16, 2003 5:51 am

yes Doc and you add more than your share of it!! :wink:

Fri May 16, 2003 9:27 am

You can't even cite one example.

Fri May 16, 2003 10:01 am

I just have to respond to the comment about Elvis wimping out on rock and roll. This is an unfair charge and has dampened Elvis' reputation far too much over the years. Elvis did not wimp out on rock and roll. As he grew older he simply had other musical interests. Not that his 60s stuff like "Dirty Dirty Feeling", "Little Sister" and his torrid remake "What'd I Say" (a record Lennon probably did not hear as it was only a smallish hit), didn't rock out once in awhile. Fans like Lennon felt betrayed by records like "Are You Lonesome To-Night?" but that feeling does not mean that those records weren't great records or that Elvis got soft or abandoned rock and roll. Elvis would have told you in 1954 or 1957 that he was about more than just rock and roll. Many music fans have never understood this and demand that their interests be catered to exclusively. More than wimping out on rock and roll, a more valid criticism may have been asking why he allowed himself to cut such poor material as was featured in movies like his recent "Girl Happy".

That being said, I don't see anything inherently disrespectful in Lennon's comment. He was only expressing a fan's opinion.

Elvis might have done well with a little more criticism from his inner circle during his career. I wish the members of his entourage would have realized some constructive criticism was helping him not hurting him. The irony was that when criticism came from someone Elvis respected like Steve Binder or Chips Moman, Elvis always took it in stride and was the better for it.

The Led Zeppelin relationship will never be solved because Elvis was not an easily solvable person. He definitely could have been a big Zeppelin fan. I mean who could have predicted the presence of several Eric Burdon and the Animals records in his collection?

Fri May 16, 2003 4:29 pm

That is usal for the Doc. Did what I say not make sense to you?

Oh Kylan I got 2 examples for you in regards to doc. Uh what is a seamster? and what is shedding rivers? Both were challenged in the post. One was a reference in spelling the other was in regards to him not understanding a saying which is in reference to shedding tears.

Here is a bonus for the Doc. Few is more then 2. He has trouble grasping this one as well!

Fri May 16, 2003 5:34 pm

A few months ago, Doc asked someone to "ratchet down the condescension." THAT was ironic.

I agree with the Doc and others about Lennon's comments. We were not there to know the framework in which the comment(s) were spoken. Lennon could be a goofy character, sometimes saying things he might have regretted, but in the presence of Elvis who knows the context in what he said? To assume he just walked into Elvis's house and started criticizing Elvis's work is unfair.

One other thing. Sure, the Beatles had/have big egos. You do not attain the level of success they achieved without a boatload of self-assuredness. Elvis had his share of ego, too. That is not a bad thing.

Fri May 16, 2003 6:14 pm

Oh don't get me wrong, I am a huge Beatles fan and their cocky attitude is part of their personna. I am only going by what I have heard. Though there are several instances where they have criticized Elvis post 50's work with no acknowledgement of his later achievements. Me being a bigger fan of the 60's and 70's, finds this annoying thats all. Still to a fan of that time, I can understand it.

When it comes to the Doc., he has got a little button you can push, when you criticize John. Though I have one when it comes to Elvis, I at the same time am on a ELVIS messageboard. Quite a difference, don't you think? Though I don't attack people calling them ignorant or unintelligent and further calling people fools on this board. Guess in the words of Eminem and Dre. That is the difference between him and me!

Elvis & Led Zeppelin

Sat May 17, 2003 1:49 am

For more on Led Zeppelin meeting Elvis check out EIN's interview with David Stanley at http://www.elvis.com.au