what was it about elvis you did not like other than the drug

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
epfan22

what was it about elvis you did not like other than the drug

Post by epfan22 »

i personally cannot think of anything except the lull in the movies and some of the 70's throw together albums : ie : FOOL, NOW...
Last edited by epfan22 on Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blue-Gypsy

I am not...

Post by Blue-Gypsy »

I am not to fond of the Priscilla situation. Although I do not believe the Vixen was taken advantage of in anyway, she was still to young to be involved the situation she was in.
I also wish he would have stayed single therefore he would not have been cheating on his wife while he was out getting his freak on :wink:

Tony

Topic author
epfan22

Post by epfan22 »

i very much agree.. i have wondered sometimes,, why he cheated on her.. guess she was not that freaky,,LOL :wink: :D

sam

Post by sam »

I didn't like that he never did a world tour. :cry:

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

I didn't like the constant entourage B.S. I recently read a story on another site about when Elvis met Jack Lord and his wife. Elvis suggested to the Lords' that he come to their house. He shows up with Linda - and 4 to 6 other people. The Lords' did not expect the other people. This really rubbed me the wrong way when I read it.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

I've thought of something else: not recording more rock & roll in the 70's. All of the post Elvis Country studio albums would have benefited greatly if a couple of (or a couple more) good rockers had been included on each.

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

I've always been somewhat disappointed that he didn't take better care of himself. I know he gave everything he had to us, but I wish he'd been a bit more selfish with his own physical and mental health and done more to make himself happy for the long-term.

Eagle

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Amen to that Eagle!

Khmm

Post by Khmm »

I didn't like the fact that he was not that good a Husband and Father. He did a so-so job on those things and those things are important.

I also did not like the fact that he was so passive when it came to his career. He could have done all sorts of things if he had stood up and took charge. He was never forced to do things or not do things. He just did not take charge of his career. he could have, but he chose to sit back and let things happen.

rod

re/dont like

Post by rod »

i wish E could have told a few more people to f--k off instead off just saying yes sir,no sir.

Little Sister

Post by Little Sister »

I don't like they way he looked upon women, and the way he treated them.

But even though I don't like it, when I judge Elvis I seem to use a different gauge than I would for others. I see myself as a feminist but in the end I tollerate much more from Elvis than I would from any other man. Just 'cause he's Elvis.
Last edited by Little Sister on Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Little Sister
Baby, I wanna play house with you

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

EagleUSA wrote:I've always been somewhat disappointed that he didn't take better care of himself. I know he gave everything he had to us, but I wish he'd been a bit more selfish with his own physical and mental health and done more to make himself happy for the long-term.
Agreed.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

I think Elvis' biggest character flaw not taking any interest in the business end of his career - he made lots of money and spent lots of money - if he had taken an interest in the business side of things he could have done all that and more.

Always Elvis
Anthony

Topic author
Graceland Gardener

Post by Graceland Gardener »

It's ironic how in his movies, Elvis always played a guy who was a sharp-witted deal-maker...
but in real life, he seemed to be an overgrown country boy who was oblivious to what was even tasking place with deals, contracts and financial mis-management. He was often hornswoggled by Col. Devil.

Topic author

Post by Guest »

i wish that elvis would done more studio albums in the 70s
we never had a studio album in 1974 and i wish he did

and like to see him did he greast hits in the 70s like

hound dog
all shook up
love me
thats all right

re do all these songs in stereo.
like johnny cash did with his songs.

curtis simpkins

Albert

Post by Albert »

I really don't like how lazy Elvis was. On a business level he only rarely stood up against Parker. On an artistic level he rarely demanded better material, rarely changed his concert setlist (from golden oldies to good music). As an actor, he rarely demanded better scripts. As a person, he rarely stood up against his 'buddies' that caused him so much trouble. As a person, he rarely made a real effort to change his way of live and to make his health a lot better. As a the late 70s Elvis, he rarely showed any interest in the songmaterial and studiosessions....

A shame... there are so many situations in Elvis carreer where you just wanted to shout "Come on Elvis! Stand up and talk back! Demand some changes man! You're the boss! They're all working for you!"

genesim

Post by genesim »

I personally don't DISLIKE anything about Elvis. He lived his life and made human mistakes. It is so easy for some to criticize without being in the man's shoes. Considering his circumastances, I think he did better then say....I would have.

Elvis didn't owe anyone a damn thing. He chose to live his life how he wanted to. Fortunately for us, it wasn't a very selfish life. He gave so much to the fans. I for one don't think less of Elvis for being on drugs. I for one can understand how a man in his position could get addicted. I wish he wouldn't have got addicted to them, but I won't DISLIKE the man for doing it. When doing them, like Richard Pryor says, "The drugs are the boss". The fact that Elvis hung on so long is a maricle. That said, the drug addicition is not a measure of unintelligence. Some of the smartest people have fell victim to substance abuse. Hell you stick a mouse in a cage(circumstance) and give it a choice between food and drugs, often they will go for the drugs and die of starvation. Does this mean the mouse is stupid?

Elvis made a lot of decisions from, not caring, not being as well educated, bad surrounding, drug influence, or peer pressure. All these things don't make me pass judgement on him. HE lived his life and that is it. I honestly get tired of people going on about it. To me, I would rather discover more of his recordings and preach/repeat the good things he said. That to me is more worth talking about. Elvis had much more to give, and I honestly think the drugs and bad decisions were a small section of his life. In hind sight, some of the "bad" decisions aren't so bad after all. 33 movies help make him have a cult following just from Saturday TV lovers. Non stop touring has made legions of fans that just experienced him ONCE. The "lull" in his career help to make one of the coolest/biggest comebacks ever. etc. etc.

Personally, most people in Elvis postion would have been wiped out by the fame. That goes for most of the people that judge as well.

Now that is not too say I am complaining about this discussion, I just wanted to share my view.

P.S. Did Elvis not know about his situations, or did he not care? I think Forrest Gump got it right....Must be hard being the KING.

All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana

Lassy

Post by Lassy »

This has made very interesting reading! There are a few things that I would say sadden me about Elvis - and I think they've all been mentioned. However, I think Genesim makes an accurate point and one I've always believed - Elvis did his best and I really think few of us would have managed for as long as he did. After all, look at todays' stars, only a couple of years at the top, then straight into rehab for one addiction or another. It's almost trendy now, it wasn't then! Elvis had a helluva lot more staying power and held it together for over 20 years AND he was a much, much bigger star.

R.R.Police

Post by R.R.Police »

The gap between the humbleness of his religious belief and the dekadence of his conduct of life.
"I was brought up to be considerate of other people's feelings", he repeated in an early 60s interview. But already by then, he was using, deceiving and sometimes humiliating the people around him.
Examples:

-Priscilla - his womanizing and trying to create her into HIS woman and not allowing her to be what she herself wanted to be.

-The Guys - since they were on his payrole, he trained them do ridiculous things for his own amusement. And if some of them got hold of a beautiful girl, he would lead her into HIS bedroom instead. If I were Sonny West, I would have strangled Elvis long before 1977.

-Linda Thompson - after the Priscilla situation had stranded, one would believe that he had learned something when getting involved with the next partner. But no...

The Rock&Roll Police

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

I echo genesim sentiments. Part of Elvis's charm is the fact that even though he had superman attributes he was as human as the rest of us. To sit back now years later and critisize a man in a situation that nobody could possibly relate too isn't really fair. I will say this, his good qualities far outweighed the bad, how many people can say that?

Prince Dragna

Post by Prince Dragna »

Very interesting!
I agree that he really did a pretty lousy job as a husband and a father. But when it comes to his career, not standing up to the colonel etc, we must not forget Elvis´s background, how poor his family was... Being an overprotected child, becoming famous before he had become an adult, a "complete" human being. He never lived a normal life, except maybe for a short time just prior to his first record coming out. Then Parker came along and "made" him the world´s first rock superstar. I agree 100% with genesim; it is a miracle that he lasted so long, and did such a good job for most of the time. The real world must have seemed strange and frightening to Elvis, which is why he created his own little "bubble". And drugs often take away a lot of your motivation, drugs often make you lazy. The biggest "why?" when it comes to Elvis (as I see it), is why he didn´t care more about himself or his health. It´s almost like he set out to destroy himself in the 70´s. Really, really sad.

Prince Dragna
Always on a Harem Holiday!

catman

Post by catman »

he needed to tell parker off and say i'm not touring for awhile you sob.
if you don't like it thats too bad im tired.
he should have tryed harder to get off drugs .
touring the same places almost every year and never any world tours that is one reason i think he let himself go.
he should have thought about lisa marie and quit worrying about the pdr book.
the people that supplyed him with dope should have said i dont care if you are the pres of the us your not getting any pills.
i also think the fans should have let him know your'e too fat you need to lose weight and get back to the 50s elvis not a former shell of yourself.
someone should have really do to elvis what they did in the fiction film heartbreak hotel maybe this would have changed him.
i like the elvis of the 1950s best over overweight not giving a crap elvis.

genesim

Post by genesim »

"I was brought up to be considerate of other people's feelings"

I don't think he was decieving anybody at this time. He is saying this is how he was brought up, not EXACTLY what he does all the time.

Lets look at some quotes from the same interview.

"Well, I've TRIED to be the same all through this thing. Naturally, you learn a lot about people, and you're involved in a lot of DIFFERENT SITUATIONS. But I've TRIED to be the same, I mean the way I was brought up."..."They don't know what kind of person you are" "I have blood running through my veins..and can be snuffed out in just a matter of seconds, and not as anything supernatural or better than any other human being"

Not this quote was actually in reference to the fans. So most of the stuff doesn't apply to the MEMPHIS MAFIA. I think this is obviously about a man that is aware of his faults. He also said in the Madison Square Garden press conference..."the image is one thing..the human being is another". To me these quotes say it all.

Now I would like to comment on R. R. Police.

"-Priscilla - his womanizing and trying to create her into HIS woman and not allowing her to be what she herself wanted to be. "

Now besides my agreeing with certain things another entertainor has said about this situation between Men and Women, I would also like to access the situation. Priscilla could have stepped out...end of story. She chose what she was going to put up with, and is no different than any other teenage girl. She married Elvis and went down the path with him(at least for a short time). She had to know what was going on, but she ignored it anyway. True it doesn't make Elvis a saint, but she knew the cirumstances in my opinion. Again, how Elvis and Cilla felt about each other, they only know. She has painted a certain picture...shame she waited till after Elvis was dead and couldn't comment on the situation. I am sure Elvis would have a different view.

"-The Guys - since they were on his payrole, he trained them do ridiculous things for his own amusement. And if some of them got hold of a beautiful girl, he would lead her into HIS bedroom instead. If I were Sonny West, I would have strangled Elvis long before 1977. "

The guys were more than happy to be Elvis' court jesters. That is not his fault. Hell I would be his little monkey at least to be in his world( I wish I would be better, but I bet the temptations were big). They were more at fault in my opinion. They didn't live in the dream world, so they should have known better. They had no pressure, but they chose to be flunkies. Now as far as Sonny strangling Elvis. For what??? Elvis probably got him more puntang then he could ever dream about. Again if Sonny had a problem he should have left Elvis. BUT NOOOOO he got fired...remember!!! Another follower. Again, funny how Sonny decides to write a book after he is fired and not before...Elvis again never got a chance to comment.

"-Linda Thompson - after the Priscilla situation had stranded, one would believe that he had learned something when getting involved with the next partner. But no..."

This I think is more complicated. Again, how Elvis really felt we will never know. Let me say this, I have screwed many a girl, because I couldn't get over a relationship gone bad. I can sympathize. Shite happens.

Now I agree that people have different opinions, I just couldn't resist. I see what you are getting at R. R. Police, I just think it is too broad a brush stroke. We only look at the post results and pick out the bad. There is more to a man's life than that. I for one have been bad to the people I love...then again I have been very good to. I am sure Elvis had his moments, it is just that people now think it is cool to bash him. The Memphis Mafia do it on a monthly basis. They stayed with him for what...15 years? Elvis must have done something right!

Just my opinon. Don't take me too seriously, you guys know by now...I am full of BS.

All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

Perhaps the biggest misconception about Elvis is that he was lazy. This is so untrue as to boggle the imagination. This was a guy who on average went into a recording studio three times per year and generally spent between 10-60 takes on a song. He toured basically non-stop for eight straight years while slipping recording sessions. For eight years he made three movies per year. If this lazy, we need a new definition.

The companion argument that Elvis had no standards is ridiculous as well. This was a guy who thought of the mega-hit "One Night" as a work tape. He most certainly would not sing anything that was put in front of him. The songs on those soundtrack albums were THE BEST that he was offered. Elvis recorded them because he had obligations particularly for the movies and had to get someting on tape.

And he did argue for better movie roles. However, the two better movies that Elvis got when he fought "Flaming Star" and "Wild in the Country" were both relative flops. And the two formula movies "GI Blues" and "Blue Hawaii" were massive hits. We have to remember Elvis' impoverished upbringing. He wasn't about to torch his career. He had no map for success as he was the first rock careerist and had to please fans as well as himself. He was a popular artist after all. The same goes for the publishing deal it made sense from a business standpoint.

Also Elvis changed the set-list many times in the 70s though he retained a core group of songs.

Topic author
Graceland Gardener

Post by Graceland Gardener »

And he did argue for better movie roles. However, the two better movies that Elvis got when he fought "Flaming Star" and "Wild in the Country" were both relative flops.
WHO determined they were flops?

Giddy fickle teenage girls?

Within 3 years of those serious non-musical films being released, that teenage girl demographic abandoned Elvis completely in their pursuit of The Beatles and The Monkees.

Tyring to please that fickle demographic kept Elvis stuck in those silly mondo-a-go go beach racer films he grew to hate so much.