what was it about elvis you did not like other than the drug

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Khmm wrote:It is amazing how people cut Elvis slack for cheating on his wife and girlfriends. It was not weakness to temptation. He would go out of his way to do it. He knew exactly what he was doing. Cheating is wrong. And it shows a total lack of respect for your loved ones. In one way he respected women and in another way he did not.

As far as the movies go it was the fans fault for how Elvis movie career went. They prefered Blue Hawaii and Girls, Girls, Girls and Fun In Acapulco over Flaming Star, Wild In The Country. Management and Hollywood always go with a formula that works. They are in the business to make money. it has always been like that.
I have two comments with regard to your post:

1. I don't know if you are male or female, in the grand scheme of things
I guess it doesn't matter, but all I can say is you'd have to "Walk A Mile
In His Shoes" before you judge. Don't get me wrong, I don't condone
adultery (with regard to his wife) but don't you think all of his girlfriends
understood what they were walking into?

2. To say it was the fans fault for Elvis' movie career is more than a stretch.
In two respects:
a) People probably preferred "BH", "GGG" & "FIA" to "Flaming Star" and Wild In The Country"
because they were ALL terrible scripts but at least in the first three you mention,
Elvis sings a whole mess of songs.
b) The "formula" you speak of had stopped working by 1964...
they still churned out that garbage for 5 more years!
Who was responsible for that?

Big Boss Man

Post by Big Boss Man »

To me, I really didn't like how he basically "ran through" some of his songs during the 70's (hound dog, jailhouse rock, blue suede shoes, teddy bear, and don't be cruel). I would have liked it better had he included all the lyrics and not just "rush" through them.

I also didn't like it that he hardly changed the set-list that often during the mid 70's either, and did not incorporate many of his other fantastic songs into the show.

Nevertheless, I still love his music and will keep on buying!

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

elvis-fan wrote:
Khmm wrote:It is amazing how people cut Elvis slack for cheating on his wife and girlfriends. It was not weakness to temptation. He would go out of his way to do it. He knew exactly what he was doing. Cheating is wrong. And it shows a total lack of respect for your loved ones. In one way he respected women and in another way he did not.

As far as the movies go it was the fans fault for how Elvis movie career went. They prefered Blue Hawaii and Girls, Girls, Girls and Fun In Acapulco over Flaming Star, Wild In The Country. Management and Hollywood always go with a formula that works. They are in the business to make money. it has always been like that.
I have two comments with regard to your post:

1. I don't know if you are male or female, in the grand scheme of things
I guess it doesn't matter, but all I can say is you'd have to "Walk A Mile
In His Shoes" before you judge. Don't get me wrong, I don't condone
adultery (with regard to his wife) but don't you think all of his girlfriends
understood what they were walking into?

2. To say it was the fans fault for Elvis' movie career is more than a stretch.
In two respects:
a) People probably preferred "BH", "GGG" & "FIA" to "Flaming Star" and Wild In The Country"
because they were ALL terrible scripts but at least in the first three you mention,
Elvis sings a whole mess of songs.
b) The "formula" you speak of had stopped working by 1964...
they still churned out that garbage for 5 more years!
Who was responsible for that?
elvis-fan -
1.) Whether or not Elvis' girlfriends "knew what they were walking into" is irrelevant, and doesn't address the question of his "serial infidelity." There seems to be a tendancy by some to excuse or justify his infidelity by saying something along the lines of "what do you expect, he was Elvis." The fact is Elvis actively pursued the "pleasures of the flesh."
2.) The formula worked just fine in 1964 - Viva Las Vegas was a smash, and both Roustabout and Kissin' Cousins did reasonably well at the box office. In fact, Elvis' films didn't substantially drop off at the box office until 1967.

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

Why is it ourt business what with did with what woman? We're not his wife. Maybe he shouldn't have gotten married. But people make bad decisions all the time. For me there's nothing to excuse.

Elvis did vary his set in the 70s though he returned to the same core of his songs frequently because that is what fans wanted to hear.

For a popular artist fans have a big impact on the work. Look at Dr. Dre's recent return to gangsta after denouncing that lifestyle. The change of heart was solely related to the lack of receipts of the non-gansta album.

It's debatable or not if Elvis could have watched his career burn to record the music that he wanted. The market may not have been large enough for a strictly cult performer. It's notable in the 70s that he basically threw popular taste to the wind and recorded the songs that expressed his feelings. Of course he gets endlessly condemned for that. The guy can't win.

jurasic1968

Re: what was it about elvis you did not like other than the

Post by jurasic1968 »

1. Not doing a world tour (and he should done it right in 1960 when he was still the number one singer of the world)
2. Not changing his lifestyle after the first serious hospitalization (october 1973)
3.Not hiring another manager (like Peter Grant from Led Zeppelin)
4. Not marying Linda Thompson
5. Not hiring a professional accountant and business advisor instead of his father (to avoid so large taxes he paid)

REBL

Post by REBL »

I detest the fact that he was NOT Perfect.............. As some people wish he were....

We call it 'Lying'..... Advertisers and politicians call it 'Creative Thinking'; So what is this teaching our kids, and grandkids?

rjm

Post by rjm »

This thread is literally a decade old. Which can make interesting reading, but to whom people think they are replying?

Just curious.

I guess what I don't like about Elvis is . . . inspiring peculiar revived topics in the future of the future Internet.

LOL!

(I'm so confused!)

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64