All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Roustabout - Otis Blackwell Version

Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:08 am

First of the new board looks great :D

Now, Ernst has confirmed that they have located the origial version of Roustabout (Otis Blackwell and Winfield Scott). I would gues it will be used one the key tracks for the box next year. Does anyone know it comes from a tape or acetate source?

Also, does anyone know the story behind this find? It may mean that more Roustabout outtakes have been loacetd.

Thanks,
Mike C

Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:19 am

Good point Mike, if Jorgensen implies they DO have Roustabout, the next question is the source. If it's a master tape, then maybe we are lucky an another lost session is "captured" Good point

Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:27 am

Thanks, Ivan. I am curious as to what he may say. Frankly, I was surprised it admitted they had it, as it sort lets the cat out of the bag before BMG is ready to use it. This may mean it is not that great - stil Blackwell always wrote great songs, so we'll see.

Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:30 am

Yes, you're right maybe it's not that great. I always remember the GREAT insistence Otis put remarking his Roustabout was FAR FAR superior to the released one, maybe he was plugging his record, but at the same time he could be sincere...

Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:48 am

yes, speedway, girls girls girls, roustabout and another one I surely forget remain lost until now.

Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:59 am

What a weird way for Ernst to announce an unusual find like this !

By denying that it will be on '2nd To None' but will be on something else !

Their PR Dept. needs an overhaul I think.

Colin B

Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:03 am

WIRD WAY cOLIN, YOU'RE RIGHT. Maybe because of the friendship with the interviewer he just let it go!

Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:36 am

I hope it get released soon, and not wasted on a FTD release.

Re: Roustabout----Blacwell/Scott

Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:37 am

I hope that they have indeed found the missing "Roustabout" sessions as I enjoy these songs very much. My guess is that they used the other version of Roustabout by Giant-Baum-Kaye?? because they could cut a better publishing deal not because the Blackwell/Scott version was inferior.

Regards,

Jerry

Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:43 am

I love the ROUSTABOUT album, it was the first record I ever bought. The title track is OK. but it is the worst use of background singers ever on a Elvis record. EYE EYE EYE, BUY EYE EYE EYE, EYE EYE EYE, I CHOOOSSE (sound like they are saying ACHOOS).

Otis Blackwell's Roustabout

Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:50 am

It sounds as if Ernst has found the Roustabout sessions. This is good news!
I look forward to the good possibility of hearing outtakes of Big Love ,Big Heartache, Hard Knocks...etc.

TCB

Randall :D

RE: Roustsbout

Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:53 pm

I wonder if OB's version of Roustabout is so recent a find that EJ is still/ so excited about it he had to tell somebody, so why not give it a mention on a website of all places whilst talking about the next big release...just to raise our testorone levels a bit.

Seriously though hopefully they have found the session tapes as opposed to an acatate find and so there could be outtakes as well, nice thought anyway.

Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:50 am

My guess is not to get your hopes up too high. I am guessing it will prob be sort of like the tape of Got A Lot of Livin To Do that was released on TT&F. Crappy acetate sound, but who knows. it could knock our socks off. wait and see.

roustabout

Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:39 pm

I don't care what quality it is I want to hear it. Just think-this may be the last "new" song there is. :(

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:37 pm

We're overdue for another "new song".

Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:04 am

This thread wins the award for longest duration between posts on it. :lol:

Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:28 am

woodleyjohn wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:We're overdue for another "new song".

Are you that bored?

Yes - at the time I was.

Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:15 pm

This must be one of the first threads on the new board

Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:55 pm

Nice thread!

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:38 am

I know that Keith has done a remaster of this song (I'm A Roustabout) which is head
and shoulders above the sound on the E2 cd. I only wish he would send me a copy!!!

:wink:

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:33 pm

I heard a clip of that somewhere...hmm, It sounded great!

Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:01 pm

Rockin_John wrote:I heard a clip of that somewhere...hmm, It sounded great!

On first hearing it, I thought it was one of those modern recreations with a soundalike !

It sounded so clear and fresh compared with the official version..........