All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:15 pm

Tracks 13-15 are all 1 track also.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:51 pm

I'm Movin' On and The Fair Is Moving On are not on any of the 5 Volumes. Maybe Vol 6? :smt017

tracklist for

Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:47 pm

... Rob, a little more careful reading, please. Ive already made clear my
pals from SC do not intend to use any more Memphis material on a
possible vol 6... Yes, all the insrumentals are missing, and several
"Rough Mix" songs, such as Im Moving On, Limousine, From a Jack, and
one or two others, didnt make it for inclusion on vol 5.
Simply because: A: they are so close to the final mixed versions,
and B: this volume already runs for about 78 minutes.
And C: the SC people were not at all interested in making a double cd.
Its hard enough to move enough single cds, these days, with so few
buyers left. Ofcourse the live material could have been left out, for the
sake of having the rough mixes included... But we make the decissions,
and the live recordings are so much better than the ones released in
the past. Part of doing these silver rascals is the fun SC gets out of it.
And not just the tons of money that pours in, the minute the cd is
released... :roll:

Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:57 pm

BIGREDG wrote:
I put a thread up here at the time and a few guys PM'd me and I did them copies, but surprisingly, it was not widely discussed.

Now I know where I got my copy from.. :lol:

Re: tracklist for

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:54 pm

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:... Rob, a little more careful reading, please. Ive already made clear my
pals from SC do not intend to use any more Memphis material on a
possible vol 6... Yes, all the insrumentals are missing, and several
"Rough Mix" songs, such as Im Moving On, Limousine, From a Jack, and
one or two others, didnt make it for inclusion on vol 5.
Simply because: A: they are so close to the final mixed versions,
and B: this volume already runs for about 78 minutes.
And C: the SC people were not at all interested in making a double cd.
Its hard enough to move enough single cds, these days, with so few
buyers left. Ofcourse the live material could have been left out, for the
sake of having the rough mixes included... But we make the decissions,
and the live recordings are so much better than the ones released in
the past. Part of doing these silver rascals is the fun SC gets out of it.
And not just the tons of money that pours in, the minute the cd is
released... :roll:

Fair enough Ger. No prob's. :smt023

Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:06 pm

BTW - glad to see that FECC import section is again featuring this great series in the Import News Section.

Patch It Up Baby :)

Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:47 pm

I´ve ordered mine already. This is another quality release from a must have-label, simple as that!

Sincerely MB280E

Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:17 pm

Given the earlier volumes, "Southern Comfort" can pretty well do whatever its little heart desires...

So it's another release that is making 2007 an all-time bonanza year for Elvis releases, be they imports or official, DVD or CD...

I look forward to it!

Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:11 pm

Escondido is rare but only a cdr cant wait to get the real thing from Southern Comfort for those who never got Escondido you will love the early takes of goin home very very funny with elvis cracking up almost all the time for me the cd is worth the price alone just for that :D And a big thank you to the guys who bring us these gems :D

Jess

Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:01 am

I've been lucky enough - as far as obscure sides go- to hear some of these tapes but the audio was as rough as could be...

I'm looking foward to SC's improved audio.

As a bonus to the '69 sessions, it's a neat twist to feature these. They're really more of a prelude to what occured in '69, but we'll take 'em as a bonus ...

Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:23 am

:lol: Yes i think volume 5 will be a nice one to look forward too!

Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:06 pm

jess wade wrote:you will love the early takes of goin home very very funny with elvis cracking up almost all the time

I don`t swear but I think he was overdosed..he is totally off the role..

Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:22 pm

Round about take 12 Elvis definitely can be heard saying "the pills are wearing off"

Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:20 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
jess wade wrote:you will love the early takes of goin home very very funny with elvis cracking up almost all the time

I don`t swear but I think he was overdosed..he is totally off the role..

Could be :shock: i love the part where Elvis says thats bad man i aint shitin ya after another take of goin home, but Elvis being Elvis worked on the song and we got a good master :D in the end. But what a great session. :D

Jess wade

Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:26 pm

YDKM wrote::lol: Yes i think volume 5 will be a nice one to look forward too!

More than that, I'm hoping it will be a nice one to listen to.

Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:36 pm

jess wade wrote:
But what a great session. :D

Absolutely...you`ve nailed it..!!

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:58 pm

BIGREDG wrote:Round about take 12 Elvis definitely can be heard saying "the pills are wearing off"

I've long known that he was into pills going back to his army stint, but it's still a little unsettling to finally have some audio proof of this, on the cusp of his vaunted comeback no less, instead of relagated to his final years...

Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:52 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:... it's still a little unsettling to finally have some audio proof of this ...

Have you heard it? Some might argue there's a tongue-in-cheek element to his commentary that night.

Also, apparently, no one has recognized a MAJOR subtext to these sessions.

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:01 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Also, apparently, no one has recognized a MAJOR subtext to these sessions.

Ok... I'm game, since you say in your sig that you "cares".... what exactly are you talking about Doc?

JEFF d
EP fan

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:09 pm

JEFF d wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Also, apparently, no one has recognized a MAJOR subtext to these sessions.

Ok... I'm game, since you say in your sig that you "cares".... what exactly are you talking about Doc?

JEFF d
EP fan

Don't know if this is what the Doc is thinking about, but Elvis was to become a father in only a few weeks time... I'm sure that was on his mind a lot at the time of the sessions. And if he acted a bit weird, I don't blame him! I know what I felt before my first child was born, a combination of panic and elation!

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:14 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:... Elvis was to become a father in only a few weeks time... I'm sure that was on his mind a lot at the time of the sessions. And if he acted a bit weird, I don't blame him! I know what I felt before my first child was born, a combination of panic and elation!

Correct!

Not only that, he had expressed ambivalence about his marriage to Priscilla the previous November by telling her he wanted a divorce. Talk about stress, imagine how his six-months-pregnant wife felt? That notion blew over, but was a strong indicator as to his frame of mind as 1968 rolled around.

Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:50 am

Good call Doc! I can buy that theory! :D

JEFF d
EP fan

Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Hav-A-Tampa wrote:... Elvis was to become a father in only a few weeks time... I'm sure that was on his mind a lot at the time of the sessions. And if he acted a bit weird, I don't blame him! I know what I felt before my first child was born, a combination of panic and elation!

Correct!

Not only that, he had expressed ambivalence about his marriage to Priscilla the previous November by telling her he wanted a divorce. Talk about stress, imagine how his six-months-pregnant wife felt? That notion blew over, but was a strong indicator as to his frame of mind as 1968 rolled around.
8)

tracklist for

Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:03 am

... "The pills are wearing off" ( as heard during the session) are not

party pills, but birth control pills... Right?!

You krazy doc, you!

Re: tracklist for

Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:06 am

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:... "The pills are wearing off" ( as heard during the session) are not party pills, but birth control pills... Right?!

You krazy doc, you!

He was probably saying that sometime in June 1967.

Despite everything, we did get two superb cuts from the January 1968 visit -- "Too Much Monkey Business" and "U.S. Male."