"Thats The Way It Is" 2-disc=Crap edition.

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years

Post by elvissessions »

removed by user
Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

elvissessions.com wrote:I don't consider it childish or hyperbole. Witness the fact that even when "they" include Dolby 5.1, we respond with a chorus of complaints -- persisting years after release -- if DTS isn't included, too.
There's a case for DTS on music releases, too. But I don't think it's of the same magnitude. However . . . I understand and respect your point (at least when you outline it properly, from my POV). Some people are truly never satisfied. I just think offering something like this in mono is bad -- and, from my perspective, wanting or not wanting half a dozen commentaries, three dozen cut numbers, super-ultra-hyper-bit encoding, a supplementary booklet big enough to crush house bricks and 3D holographic packaging has nothing to do with it.

Cryogenic (Definitely Shutting Up Now)

elvissessions

Post by elvissessions »

removed by user
Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pete Dube
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Pete Dube »

Folks, something just ocurred to me. Perhaps some of the additional TTWII footage will be used in the upcoming Elvis In Vegas tv special, which of course will eventually get a dvd release. Something to ponder.

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

Awww, shucks . . . I was meant to be shutting up! I just want to say: Kris, I appreciate your kind remark, but that post was made without a full knowledge of the situation (which I was researching at the time). In hindsight, words like "appalling and reprehensible" make me guilty of exactly what I accused elvisssessions of -- childish hyperbole. Since I discovered that the original TTWII was released in monoural, and if I had known that at the time, I would have moderated my language. I was taking an educated guess -- and that educated guess was WRONG. That said, my position didn't solely rest on whether TTWII was originally released in mono or not, which is why I haven't changed it, but I would have been a little softer with my language. At the end of the day, ES speaks a lot of sense -- this is probably still a good product for the price. However, Warner / MGM have dropped the ball by not investing in a remastered soundtrack for the original, and a measure of outcry and derision is still warranted, IMO. Any future release SHOULD carry optimum picture and sound.
Last edited by Cryogenic on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Ok, let me get this straight. If Someone already has, TTWII original edt. TTWII SE and the Lost Performances DVD's, they don't need this release?

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Little Darlin wrote:Ok, let me get this straight. If Someone already has, TTWII original edt. TTWII SE and the Lost Performances DVD's, they don't need this release?
Yes, unless you just can't live without the Stranger In The Crowd and Little Sister live footage. Neither of these are in TTWII, TTWII-SE, or Lost Performances. I don't have TTWII and LP so I'm gonna invest! I have TTWII-SE on both dvd and VHS, they're gonna get donated to the library.

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

Kris P wrote:
Cryogenic wrote: Since I discovered that the original TTWII was released in monoural, and if I had known that at the time, I would have moderated my language.
Yes Cryo, but given my above post, ie. the film was released in 1997 with a stereo soundtrack, then why release it in mono?
That's a mystery. It could be a misprint. Or two tracks carrying the same information (i.e. mono).

Or it could be the real thing.

Either way, and especially if authentic, this really doesn't put the 2007 DVD release in a good light. And why should it? As I have said, this is 2007. Titles are coming out in HIGH DEFINITION now -- and we're JUST getting the original TTWII . . . in MONO? Something is wrong there, IMO. But I am genuinely ducking out now. I've said more than enough.

Claus

Post by Claus »

The original MGM dvd contains a DD 2.0 soundtrack. To me it sounds like it is a rechanneled mono mix.

ale
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by ale »

with decisions like these ones...EPE continues forcing people to steal footage from Warner vaults. :wink:
they still don't understand what fans want....but what is more important is that they still don't understant what would be better for them :wink:
Ale

davide
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by davide »

The original version of T.T.W.I.I has always had a mono soundtrack,be it vhs,betamax,laserdisc and dvd. It dosn't matter what the cover has stated, such as vhs hi fi stereo etc. Dolby digital can still mean that there is a mono soundtrack. The usual practice at that time(1970) would be for movie studio's,in this case MGM, to release the premiere in a special 4 track mix, depending on the nature of the picture format ,and for general release it would be in mono.
This original version of the movie is the same as previous letterbox release's , ie without a remaster to 16x9 Digital Anamorphic,hence lower resolution.
The release of the Lost Performce's on vhs and laserdisc by mgm video was odd in that it was 4:3 only cropping the panavision frame,and in stereo.

Claus

Post by Claus »

davide wrote: This original version of the movie is the same as previous letterbox release's , ie without a remaster to 16x9 Digital Anamorphic,hence lower resolution.
Is the new dvd not anarmorphic? If this is the case, I'm keeping my old dvd which is anamorphic.

Spanish_Eyes
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Spanish_Eyes »

Come on guys, this is priced around $8, it´s not a steal as some of you are trying to make it look...

merry77

Post by merry77 »

I'll buy it when I can pick it up for a few euros only. By the sound of the reports that wouldn't take long.
I even did some mastering myself and created a multiple angle dvd of the opening night and 12th of August and put the CD sound in sync under it.
I can now choose out of 6 angles which angle I want to see (1 containing a new edit for easy continuous viewing).
Now that's a dvd.

Joined this board exactly 30 years after Elvis show in Phoenix, Arizona to celebrate this wonderful fact.

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by frus75 »

I bought it here in Barcelona on 28th July and I still can't believe the bonus tracks sound and look so bad. I checked the actual dvd to see if it was a bootleg. And besides the little sister mutilation.

Iván

La voz del Rey

MB280E
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by MB280E »

Spanish_Eyes wrote:Come on guys, this is priced around $8, it´s not a steal as some of you are trying to make it look...
The price has nothing to do with it. It´s the product for heaven´s sake! :shock: And for you guys that try to make us wanting quality products look foolish... :shock:

Sincerely MB280E

"Folks, it´s been 9 years since I performed before a live audience. I´ve been busy making an 8mm film that hasn´t been released yet about a squirrel who gets lost in the wintertime and can´t find his nuts."

´98 W140 S320 (my new baby)
´90 W124 230E (sold...)
´81 W123 280E (R.I.P.)

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by frus75 »

Right on MB280E!! Aloha and NBC didn't cost a lot and offered a lot more...

Iván

La voz del Rey

MB280E

Post by MB280E »

KingElvis, that´s an interesting avatar... :lol:

Sincerely MB280E

"Folks, it´s been 9 years since I performed before a live audience. I´ve been busy making an 8mm film that hasn´t been released yet about a squirrel who gets lost in the wintertime and can´t find his nuts."

´90 W124 230E (sold...)
´81 W123 280E (R.I.P.)

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Renan »

Sound is mono on disc 2? I think Elvis fans deserve a better treatment.

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Topic author
KingElvis
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by KingElvis »

MB280E wrote:KingElvis, that´s an interesting avatar... :lol:

Sincerely MB280E
yes,this release was supposed to be the biggest event regarding 30th anniversary....at least for me.
At last we would get the 4 missing songs and more in stereo sound for the
first time ever....instead its the biggest letdown in years :shock:
in 1992 we got The Lost performances that was awsome in terms of content and quality(great stereo track)....still remember clearly the amazing laserdisc edition.
Hard to believe that 15 years later the same company gives us just the oposite aka crappiest release ever.
How people can defend a mono release with inferior picture quality in 2007 is beyond me.

Bodie
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Bodie »

I truly believe that this is deliberate the way this release has been put out.

Warner are saying, well if you want to but illegal outtakes in not so great quality then thats what your gonna get.

They have cleverly put a few things on there knowing that the fans who bought the outtakes footage will but this release.

MB280E

Post by MB280E »

So, I take it the Little Sister/Get Back reheasal is still in the movie while the live version from August 12th. is edited and cut, right? No way anyone can defend an act like that...! :shock:

Sincerely MB280E

´90 W124 230E (sold...)
´81 W123 280E (R.I.P.)

elvissessions

Post by elvissessions »

removed by user
Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamie

Post by Jamie »

I've got the 1997 release and although it says stereo on the box and on the DVD player, it certainly sounds like mono (i've just had a listen to Mystery Train).

I just don't get the mentality. Lots of old films are re-done in 5.1. But even ignoring the sound quality what is the point in holding on to so may outtakes? I just don't understand it. Why not just stick a couple of full concerts as extras? What have they got to lose? What do they achieve by leaving it on the shelf? I really, really don't get it. Nor do I belive they are holding this stuff back for a future HD release or whatever. I just think this stuff will rot away. Sad, very, very sad.

Jamie

Gator's got me Granny.

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

Jamie wrote:I've got the 1997 release and although it says stereo on the box and on the DVD player, it certainly sounds like mono (i've just had a listen to Mystery Train).

I just don't get the mentality. Lots of old films are re-done in 5.1. But even ignoring the sound quality what is the point in holding on to so may outtakes? I just don't understand it. Why not just stick a couple of full concerts as extras? What have they got to lose? What do they achieve by leaving it on the shelf? I really, really don't get it. Nor do I belive they are holding this stuff back for a future HD release or whatever. I just think this stuff will rot away. Sad, very, very sad.

Jamie
So apart form the bonus material is the second DVD containing the original movie identical to the first 1997 DVD release?