All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:26 am

Hi- how many minutes is the party sequence? What's the video and sound quality like of the party sequence?

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:47 am

Here's the link to an interview with producer Rick Schmidlin from EIN:

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/interview_R ... idlin.html

In regards to the sound on the original TTWII movie:

EIN: The original TTWII contained some very odd footage (of some rather bizarre Elvis fans) and had the continuity of "The performance" disappointingly broken up between every song. Do you think this is what the original Director Dennis Sanders envisaged, or do you think he was compromised by MGM?

RS: I think it was Col Tom's idea of selling Elvis to the Bible belt, today we would call what he did propaganda. For the time it was pretty cool propaganda, I saw the film at the Viewmont Mall in Scranton, Pennsylvania when it first came out and loved it. I think it was good for the time it was made.

At the time it seemed to be edited so as to have fans show that Elvis was still "cool". It was propaganda by Colonel Parker to sell Elvis and his "new persona". Now everybody knows Elvis is cool and so we can show more of his dynamic performance. In the original movie they had a mono sound-mix, that I also hated because it was recorded with a 16 track recorder.

---------------

Rich

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:57 am

Hey everyone,

I just got the TTWII DVD and This is Elvis DVD today. I decided to include my observations on second DVD which has been concluded by many as Disk 2 = crappy. I'm not really completely buying this logic. Here are some reasons:

1. To be honest, I'm actually really impressed with the picture quality for the original film. I had a DVD copy of the original TTWII, and it was not widescreen nor was the picture quality as good. This really blew me away!

2. The outtakes I'm just confused as to why the picture quality varies where some of the outtakes are nice quality while others are really dark and somewhat difficult to see.

3. I'm impressed at how MGM spliced out Get Back. :lol: Believe me I would totally prefer the whole song, but the transition of trying to make it simply Little Sister was ... well quite clever. Nevertheless, as one person indicated it does end quite abruptly. Once again on this outtake of Little Sister, the picture quality is really amazing compared to others.

4. Someone else will have to clarify, but I noticed that the "Walk a Mile in My Shoes" outtake is actually a splice of the two "chain suit" shows. You'll notice the back up singers are wearing yellow outfits at the beginning and at different points it is spliced with the back up singers wearing white outfits. The footage concludes with the back up singers in white outfits. Ok not to complain, but I'm just wondering, again why the picture quality is so dark compared to the VHS Lost Performances. Shouldn't DVD quality improve over VHS?

5. Someone asked how long the party footage is, I would guess about maybe two minutes at the most. The sound varies, some of it is audible and other points are complete silence.

6. There is a few seconds more of uneseen footage with Elvis making remarks before he begins "I've Lost You", and that's kind of neat.

7. Total time of footage according to my DVD player is 37:11.

In conclusion, I'm fine with this second DVD. Sure I would love more outtakes, but I'll take what I can get. I have not watched the first DVD yet, but I just wanted to present my observations for those who have been reading constant negative posts about this DVD.

Thanks,
DJL

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:58 am

Jerrynordack wrote: I'm just glad the original is finally on DVD.

You must have missed it when it was first released on DVD back in 1997, and not surprisingly it was during the 20th anniversary Elvis time.

You see the pattern here? It will more than likely be released for the 40th anniversary in ten years, and in stereo. So we will all have to buy it again. :D

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:00 am

Here's another interview with Rick ...

http://www.widescreenreview.com/articles/elvis.htm

Again, in regards to Mono:

WSR Coate: Were the audio elements in that vault as well?

Schmidlin: We found the sound [elements] in the vault, and it was uncatalogued. We found the original 16-track masters that were recorded directly from the truck [used to record the concert] after about two months of searching. The original film was [mixed and released] in mono, so we were able to use [the 16-track master] for the [new 5.1-channel] soundtrack.

----------------------------

In regards to the original TTWII print:

WSR Coate: What do you think happens if a studio or company decides to withdraw an earlier version of a film proclaiming audiences will never again be able to see the original, like with "Star Wars," for example?

Schmidlin: Well, we're in an industry driven by business decisions and "withdraw" doesn't mean withdraw. Withdraw means "put on the shelf for awhile" or "put on the shelf until the next person comes along." When we did this "Elvis" project there was a new print struck from the negative. It's on the shelf, it's been restored, is being preserved, and it exists.

WSR Coate: That's the original cut?

Schmidlin: Yeah, the original cut. It exists; we didn't cut any negative. One person came up to me at a retrospective screening and said, "How dare you cut original negative?" I don't cut original negative. We cut prints from the original negative.

The original version of "Touch Of Evil" exists. It's preserved, but it hasn't been seen by the public since 1970. I would say that's something the public would love to see because it's the original cut. That would be a wonderful collector's curiosity.

----------------------------

So am I reading this right? The original movie was also restored, but Warner didn't release this on their new release ?

Rich

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:03 am

To quote the IMDB regarding TTWII:-

"Sound Mix:SDDS (special edition) / DTS (special edition) / Dolby Digital (special edition) / 4-Track Stereo (original version)"

So in 1970 we have the original four track cinema version.

Then in 2001 we have "the first ever" two track version.

And today in 2007 we have the single track version

Stand by in 2010 for the completely silent release :D

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:15 am

Rich_TCB wrote:So am I reading this right? The original movie was also restored, but Warner didn't release this on their new release ?

Rich

I read that a new copy was done of the original print. With regards to supposed restoration - this could mean anything but I doubt a lot of time was spent cleaning the negative first.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:27 am

removed by user
Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:34 am

elvissessions.com wrote:I don't think the big conglomerates pay much attention to us, the fringe fanboys.

And who can blame them? It's the same with the hardcore fans of every musician, film, etc. NOTHING is every good enough.

I'm sure my wish list is as long as everyone else's (multi-angle capability, please. mixing board function to isolate audio tracks, please. three dozen commentary tracks -- at least -- please.)

But let's step back and look at it.

US: We want a recut, updated, revised, refreshed version with new added material. This is a screen classic that deserves special attention.
THEM: OK, here you go.
US: BOO!!! (long list of complaints follows.) We won't buy this piece of crap.

US: This is a classic film, it shouldn't be recut, we want the original version on DVD. NOW, please.
THEM: Ummmmm, but you said ... Oh, OK, here you go.
US: BOOOO!!!! (cue complaints.) Who wants this crap; we're not buying it -- maybe we'll find a cutout copy later. And anyway, we already have the special edition, so who needs it anyway.

US: We want more outtakes, more new material, more added footage. NOW! DVD. Gimme!
THEM: Sigh, we know where this is headed, but OK, here you go.
US: BOOO!!!!! (fresh complaints and cries that they never listen to us and they never give us what we want.) We absolutely refuse to buy this and we're going to come to your house and kill your dog. Then we'll go back home and watch our bootleg copies of all the outtakes anyway, so take your cleaned-up straight-from-the-masters versions and shove 'em.

US: We want all of the above -- everything all at once -- in one package and we want it to cost less than the average nuclear family pays at McDonald's for a trip through the drive-through.
THEM: You're shitting us, right? Fine, OK. Let's see how we can work the math on this thing. .... OK, here you go, happy now?
US: BOO!!! Never, never, never. Absolutely we will not have any part of this.

US: We want ...
THEM: Go blow yourself.
US: Uh-oh.

Post of the day - especially the conclusion :lol:

Hi

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:46 am

As to regard with Rick Schmidlin, in one of his interviews he said that That's Allright Mama was the only filmed song from August 10 opening night. Now, with all the outtakes floating around of opening night, that was a very silly remark don't you think. ; :wink:

Cheers
Simon

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:54 am

Did the original film ever have a stereo mixdown? If not, then then the original mono mix is they way it was produced.

However, I do understand the complaints about the chopped up Little Sister with "Get Back" edited out. Sounds like Michael Jackson's publishing arm (he own's 50% the Beatles catalog) was perhaps asking too much money for a DVD license? Funny thing is, Sony, which owns the other chunk of the Beatles catalog also owns Elvis masters when it gobbled BMG. Strange that an agreement couldn't be reached.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:49 am

Well by God the original film better have a scene access menu so I can get directly to Cricket, Sue and the cat!

Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:57 am

Which Suspicious Minds did they have, the original one?

Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:04 am

WALK A MILE ON on the outtake is does have the ending of AUG 12. You can see the note in his belt in some shots given to him on the 12. The thumbs up ending is from Aug 12th.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:43 am

Disappointing news ...

on the other hand ... still got my cash in my wallet ...

see ... that's why I wait.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:43 am

Its quite unbelieveable how bad the out-takes look on this Dvd!! Were they bootlegging the bootleggers on this one..... I think the jokes on us. :roll:

Why not just include "The Lost Performances" as the extra for this dvd...why...why...why a thousand times why... lol

That's the "Elvis" world for ya.......

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:02 am

I guess they'll have three years to rectify things re. THAT'S THE WAY IT IS
40th anniversary edition with a more deserved, meaningful commercial release.

You cannot begin to imagine how shattered I am by some of the observations regarding THATS THE WAY IT IS as stated
from my fellow FECC'rs. Really shattered indeed.

Ahhhh, I will probably still buy it however, just for "Stranger In The Crowd" alone.

Will someone at least tell me what the picture of it is like. Not too bad, one hopes!?

Hey PEP, how do you feel about this? . Should we still buy TTWII so called "special edition"?

Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:34 am

Robt wrote:I
Will someone at least tell me what the picture of it is like. Not too bad, one hopes!?

If your asking about the out-takes...bad, bad, bad, shockingly bad... and did I mention dark, dark, DARK picture.

The original version of TTWII, it does look improved somewhat to me... but nothing to really get excited about especially if you have the '97 dvd. Still I think it is better a lil bit...

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:12 pm

I compared the two, the original dvd of the original TTWII and they are pretty much the same.
The outtake footage does look like ass, did they just get it off of youtube?It is a shame, it is really good stuff!
I have both TTWIIs. The original was one of the first dvds I bought, but I still bought this, and why not ? It isn't very expensive, it has the outtakes, and it is kind of nice having both in one package.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:33 pm

JerryNodak wrote:Wow!! The original TTWII is in mono. I so surprised (not). I expected as much. Mono!! How will I survive? I'm just glad the original is finally on DVD. Mono, OMG!!

Yes, but a good video tape has better quality than the original ondvd.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:41 pm

elvissessions.com wrote:I don't think the big conglomerates pay much attention to us, the fringe fanboys.

And who can blame them? It's the same with the hardcore fans of every musician, film, etc. NOTHING is every good enough.

I'm sure my wish list is as long as everyone else's (multi-angle capability, please. mixing board function to isolate audio tracks, please. three dozen commentary tracks -- at least -- please.)

But let's step back and look at it.

US: We want a recut, updated, revised, refreshed version with new added material. This is a screen classic that deserves special attention.

US: This is a classic film, it shouldn't be recut, we want the original version on DVD. NOW, please.
THEM: Ummmmm, but you said ... Oh, OK, here you go.
US: BOOOO!!!! (cue complaints.) Who wants this crap; we're not buying it -- maybe we'll find a cutout copy later. And anyway, we already have the special edition, so who needs it anyway.

US: We want more outtakes, more new material, more added footage. NOW! DVD. Gimme!
THEM: Sigh, we know where this is headed, but OK, here you go.
US: BOOO!!!!! (fresh complaints and cries that they never listen to us and they never give us what we want.) We absolutely refuse to buy this and we're going to come to your house and kill your dog. Then we'll go back home and watch our bootleg copies of all the outtakes anyway, so take your cleaned-up straight-from-the-masters versions and shove 'em.

US: We want all of the above -- everything all at once -- in one package and we want it to cost less than the average nuclear family pays at McDonald's for a trip through the drive-through.
THEM: You're shitting us, right? Fine, OK. Let's see how we can work the math on this thing. .... OK, here you go, happy now?
US: BOO!!! Never, never, never. Absolutely we will not have any part of this.

US: We want ...
THEM: Go blow yourself.
US: Uh-oh.

Instead of this my pont is that the Warner guys thought "How can we make them buy again the same dvd we sold them 6 years ago?... let's put a 2nd disc were we are not going to spend a dollar in the production, and they'll buy it again. On disc 1 we include again the short - Patch it up were we show them how can we improve the sound and image, and on disc 2 we include extras with vhs quality"...

I'm more than happy with this double disc, there are clips I had never seen before and that's enough for me, but once you see them you know this could have been better made... I prefer to spaend $5 on the set and have better quality.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:22 pm

What they should have done was to include both mono and digital 5.1 sound. It's a sloppy release not to include 5.1 sound on the original TTWII.
If we don't demand QUALITY products we won't get it. This new "Special edition" is a shitty release. :evil:

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:31 pm

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:57 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An observation on point 1 : they (whoever Schmidlin/ Jorgenseon (the special consultant)/ Warners/ Turner) decide to cut out some of the most important, relevant and well loved songs from the original movie -" Just cant help belivin" a case in point, promise an extra 60 minutes along with the new release then backtrack without an explanation ...and the fans are not expected complain ?

After the " Lost performances" in 93 and all the extra material that has surfaced the past couple of years , Warners could see fit and afford to put out these few "bonus" tracks, and that too purportedly not even properly remastered, as an incentive to get fans to essentially re-buy their product again.

..and you still feel we are unjustifed in complaining ?
Last edited by jbgude on Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:41 pm

ekenee wrote:Jerrynordack wrote: I'm just glad the original is finally on DVD.

You must have missed it when it was first released on DVD back in 1997, and not surprisingly it was during the 20th anniversary Elvis time.

You see the pattern here? It will more than likely be released for the 40th anniversary in ten years, and in stereo. So we will all have to buy it again. :D

I didn't even have a DVD player until after Christmas of 2005.

Buy it again in 10 years? You probably will. Me? I doubt it.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:12 pm

Mike DK wrote:What they should have done was to include both mono and digital 5.1 sound. It's a sloppy release not to include 5.1 sound on the original TTWII.

EXACTLY.

And no amount of childish hyperbole from elvissessions or anyone else changes that.

But I've said my piece. The product is out there now. What's done is done.