All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:17 pm

MB280E wrote:I Just Can´t Help Believin´ - August 11th. 1970 dinner show

Walk A Mile In My Shoes - August 11th. 1970 midnight show

I´ve Lost You - August 12th. 1970 dinner show

Sweet Caroline - August 12th. 1970 midnight show

Sincerely MB280E

but aren't these the same versions as featured on the original movie edition?

Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:21 pm

Well, if you you had the impression we were getting an unreleased version, think again!

Sincerely MB280E

Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:52 pm

MB280E wrote:Well, if you you had the impression we were getting an unreleased version, think again!

Sincerely MB280E

I sincerely hoped so, since I see no point in adding these song as special features when they already are in the old version of the movie. And the old version of the movie is actually in this set...

Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:38 am

I think these are the newly mastered versions showsn on TMC??

Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:14 pm

Mike Eder wrote:I think these are the newly mastered versions showsn on TMC??

this could be the case. thanks! have just ordered the box set - should come in about two weeks, and only when I get it I will order the ttwii DVD...

Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:58 pm

Mike Eder wrote:I think these are the newly mastered versions showsn on TMC??

nah...these are not remastered versions first shown on TCM because they were actually good.
These outtakes are so bad that I will probably never see them again.....will consider if bootleggers add stereo sound to them.
doh.....silly me they have already done that.... :oops:

Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:19 pm

I bought That's The Way It Is on Betamax many years ago. It had a big sticker on saying "STEREO" and it was. Later I bought the 1997 laserdisc version which also has stereo sound. It wasn't good stereo sound but it was stereo. Actually it sounds a bit strange so making it mono may be the right thing to do. I was thinking about buying the DVD so I borrowed it from a friend and compared it to the LD version.

I was surprised to find out that the DVD seemed to be a second generation copy of the LD. It apperad darker and less sharp. The sound was also worse and in mono.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:39 pm

ElvisAhlgren wrote:I bought That's The Way It Is on Betamax many years ago. It had a big sticker on saying "STEREO" and it was. Later I bought the 1997 laserdisc version which also has stereo sound. It wasn't good stereo sound but it was stereo. Actually it sounds a bit strange so making it mono may be the right thing to do. I was thinking about buying the DVD so I borrowed it from a friend and compared it to the LD version.

I was surprised to find out that the DVD seemed to be a second generation copy of the LD. It apperad darker and less sharp. The sound was also worse and in mono.

The point is that original TTWII movie has never been available in stereo.....sure cover says so but its wrong information.
As you I have had a lots of versions over the years including the laserdisc but all versions have been in pure mono sound.....and as of 2007 still is.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:41 pm

KingElvis wrote:nah...these are not remastered versions first shown on TCM because they were actually good.
These outtakes are so bad that I will probably never see them again.....will consider if bootleggers add stereo sound to them.

so , you mean that I Just Can´t Help Believin´, I´ve Lost You and Sweet Caroline from the bonus segment are exactly the same as on the old version of the movie?

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:48 pm

Russian fan wrote:
KingElvis wrote:nah...these are not remastered versions first shown on TCM because they were actually good.

so , you mean that I Just Can´t Help Believin´, I´ve Lost You and Sweet Caroline from the bonus segment are exactly the same as on the old version of the movie?

havent compared so have no idea,in fact I didnt bother to see all the crappy 37 minutes either....the point I tried to make was that the versions shown on TCM had remastered picture with great stereo sound,the bonus segment on new dvd has bad quality and mono sound.
I really dont care if they are from original movie or alternate versions,the quality is so bad that I dont give a damn anyway....sad but true

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:58 pm

Wait, this sounds insane... So as bonus material we are getting songs that were remastered for the 2000 SE but not included... but for some reason they are now in crap quality? I could understand the lesser quality if they had included "raw", unedited stuff (like the bootleggers put out), but this seems very strange.

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am

The songs - I Can't Help Believin', I've Lost You, are Sweet Caroline is the same as on the original theaterical version but has a few alternate scenes. So, it is the same and then again it isn't the same.

Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:51 am

Please accept my humble and deepest apologies for my criticisms of the complainers on this one. I just got these dvds and watched the outtakes and the quality is a JOKE!! How totally rediculous to release something like this. I don't know what's worse, the abysmal dark picture or the pathetic weak sound. How could they possibly justify releasing such crap as this??

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:38 am

removed by user
Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:07 am

I think Time/Warner is losing its heart for catalogue product. They used to be a company always willing to go the extra mile for their vintage stuff but they are definitely losing some mustard. I picked up the latest film noir set and the quality is a definite dip from previous editions. They felt the need to jam the movies in as twofers, not all the best transfers have been used (The Big Steal is milky at times and downright blurry and damaged at others) and in the quest to jam all the movies on five discs scene access has been eliminated. This is an important DVD feature. The recent Brando set was problematic as well. Two years ago they were lethal on stuff like this. The Elvis set is only an indication of an ongoing trend.

I think in general the treatment of classic DVDs has gotten particularly shoddy in the last year or so. Paramount/CBS Tv series rank as the head disgrace. This is the problem with these mega corps owning the rights to this stuff. They don't believe in spending any money or time unless there's big performance and their meter of big performance is ridiculously high. They are not content to make a solid profit. Everything must make TONS of money.

Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:31 am

As I posted in another thread, Warners always puts its older titles in mono sound. If on tour is released unless it is a special edition, will also be in the same kind of sound, it is policy with them to put libary titles in mono sound.

Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:50 pm

I got two boxes in the mail yesterday from Amazon containing all the new dvd releases.The only one watched briefly was TTWII.I was curious about the outtakes.I was quite shocked actually.The quality was just lousy.I gotta believe they could have provided better footage than that.I dont consider myself much of a complainer but that just seemed crazy.A big letdown.
Jak

Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:06 pm

Elvissessions: Excellent and funny (but true!) post, I was eating a bag of crisps as I read it and I spit most of them out laughing! :lol:

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:39 pm

Thanks to you guys I avoided buying this release. Got all the others though.

Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:57 pm

elvissessions.com wrote:I don't have these yet, so of course I can't offer an informed opinion. But as that hasn't held others back here, what the heck.

We'll chase all over creation for crap copies with crap video and crap sound, with banners and timing cues across the screen -- and listen to people rave about how great they are, when there's no sound or color correction or anything else. And we'll pay top dollar for all of that into the "bargain."

But if somebody offers us cleaned-up, professionally packaged, legitimate releases at a fraction of the price, then we'll have an absolute shitfit if it's not exactly what we hoped for?

You can get this for less than 15 bucks, for crying out loud. How bad can it be? But, hell, keep it up, keep chasing after your bootleg from VHS/laserdisc copies of the original and the copy of copy of copy of copy outtakes with out-of-sync sound and fuzzy video. And enjoy paying the extortionist prices of the illegal productions. Good luck to you.

Meanwhile, I expect I'll be enjoying a fresh look at some nice outtakes in what will certainly be the best quality we've ever seen.

Oh gawd...you're killing me. I didn't pay for my crap video and crap sound, with banners and timing cues across the screen where there's no sound or color correction or anything else. It just came in the mail both the 11 disc and 6 disc sets. I didn't have to go to the STORE AND PICK THEM UP! FOR THAT EFFORT I EXPECT QUALITY! QUALITY I SAY!!!

:lol:

bpd

Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:33 pm

elvissessions.com wrote:I don't think the big conglomerates pay much attention to us, the fringe fanboys.

And who can blame them? It's the same with the hardcore fans of every musician, film, etc. NOTHING is every good enough.

I'm sure my wish list is as long as everyone else's (multi-angle capability, please. mixing board function to isolate audio tracks, please. three dozen commentary tracks -- at least -- please.)

But let's step back and look at it.

US: We want a recut, updated, revised, refreshed version with new added material. This is a screen classic that deserves special attention.
THEM: OK, here you go.
US: BOO!!! (long list of complaints follows.) We won't buy this piece of crap.

US: This is a classic film, it shouldn't be recut, we want the original version on DVD. NOW, please.
THEM: Ummmmm, but you said ... Oh, OK, here you go.
US: BOOOO!!!! (cue complaints.) Who wants this crap; we're not buying it -- maybe we'll find a cutout copy later. And anyway, we already have the special edition, so who needs it anyway.

US: We want more outtakes, more new material, more added footage. NOW! DVD. Gimme!
THEM: Sigh, we know where this is headed, but OK, here you go.
US: BOOO!!!!! (fresh complaints and cries that they never listen to us and they never give us what we want.) We absolutely refuse to buy this and we're going to come to your house and kill your dog. Then we'll go back home and watch our bootleg copies of all the outtakes anyway, so take your cleaned-up straight-from-the-masters versions and shove 'em.

US: We want all of the above -- everything all at once -- in one package and we want it to cost less than the average nuclear family pays at McDonald's for a trip through the drive-through.
THEM: You're shitting us, right? Fine, OK. Let's see how we can work the math on this thing. .... OK, here you go, happy now?
US: BOO!!! Never, never, never. Absolutely we will not have any part of this.

US: We want ...
THEM: Go blow yourself.
US: Uh-oh.

:smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt038

That's us!

No actually, I'm usually happy with what we get. Sometimes I wonder about the negative reviews...they are normally correct but way overstated.

bpd

Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:10 am

Ok, I just got through watching the original TTWII and the outtakes. No complaints with the movie (mono sound and all), but the outtakes are gravely disappointing. The sound is muffled. The picture quality, while acceptable is undeniably below par. I've Lost You, Sweet Caroline and I Just Can't Help Believin' are the same versions as in the film, just some different camera angles. These outtakes are a damn disgrace. I'm feeling like ol' Ned Beatty bent over that log squealing - since Warner's is giving us a royal cornholin' with this outtake fiasco!

Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:23 am

Aren't these the same folks that got all bent outta shape because a few hours of outtakes escaped the vaults? Maybe they could learn a lesson from all of this. They let the film just sit there deteriorate and now look what we have. We need a deluxe set similair to the 68 special box.
In excellant quality. Then maybe, just maybe, we will all behave.

Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:04 pm

It's just baffling that the outtakes included with the "Ultimate Film Collection" look and sound terrific, but disappointing on the TTWII 2 DVD set.

As MysteryTrain pointed out:

MysteryTrain wrote:How many have purchased the "Ultimate Film Collection" currently being offered by EPE? Little missed gems in this collection are three songs from "That's The Way It Is." They are "Just Pretend," "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "I've Lost You." These were apparently remastered when the special edition was prepared and are beautifully presented in 5.1 sound. Like so many things in the Elvis' world, the set is costly when you consider that most fans already have 98% of the material offered.

I suspect that when EPE releases Vol. II, we'll be treated to "Sweet Caroline" and "I Just Can't Help Believin'."

Mystery Train

MysteryTrain wrote:No, the quality of the "That's The Way It Is" material on the "Ultimate Film Collection" is fantastic! It is everything we'd expect in '06 or '07!!!! It the "new" Warner Brother's release (released officially today) that is crap (at least the "bonus" material is crap). I only started this thread to show that it can be done right!

Mystery Train

Rich

Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:53 pm

Unfortunatly htere is no rhime or reason to what has hapened with these outtakes.

1. the producers could have easily gone back to the outakes that were mixid for the Ultimate film collection for the concert sequences.

2. As to the reason the same preformances in worse sound and picture are included in the orginal momo version. It is my guess that originally as we know these outakes were to be inclded in the 2001 specal Edidtion. Now if indeed they were to still be part of the re release of the 2001 edition in 2007 then the preformaces would not have been duplicated because they were not in this Special Edition originally. That being said all they did was take the sequence of outakes that were to be originnal put in the 2001 re release and put them in the mono orginal version. Why they put them there knowbody knows. My one guess is they did not want to put any effort in restoring these outtakes so since they were going to be in mono ththen just put them on a mono disc.

3. It is just a pity and shame that we have outtakes in this quality. sure if this is the only way I can get them fine I will take them. When I watch so much of the new material that was put into the Special Edition and se how much work they did on the sound quaility and picture tehn look at the outtakes which they could have done the same to I just shreek!!!

4. Also it would have ben nice to include all th uncut scenes in Charro but.....

Burning Love