All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:34 pm

Kris P wrote:I have in my hand the original 1997 MGM/Turner TTWII DVD and according to the Technical Specs it is Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo.

Considering this is one of only two Elvis concert engagements/tours professionally captured on film, it is a slap in the face for Elvis fans that it is not given the treatment it deserves.

One need only peruse the countless Z-Grade dvds on Amazon that have received a better treatment than this classic 1970 document of the King as The King.

To those who bemoan the complaints, this is a normal reaction when one purchases a substandard product.

Indeed. Now go a play this DVD, perhaps listen through some headphones and then come back and state whether this 1997 release is in mono or stereo. I know where my bets lie. Isn’t this the same company who made a blunder in their marketing campaign that Elvis has sold a staggering 1 million records worldwide?

Regarding another posters comment about remastering this original movie into 5.1 surround sound. If the original movie master is in mono, do you realise just how long and involved this process would be? They would have to get all the multitrack masters, remix them and sync them with all the visual material. In essence, create a new movie negative. Yeah right they’re going to do that for an obsolete movie when they have already invested in re-structuring TTWII in 2000.

People, the original movie – as originally released - is out on DVD for those who wish to watch it. This is not a travesty, it is…a BONUS!

This reaction is kind of interesting considering the regular policy of movie houses releasing a standard DVD version of a movie, then a couple of years later releasing a special edition with added bonus features.

Finally, and to reiterate a previous point, this is (gasp) just another library movie that MGM have decided to re-release. There isn’t a dedicated Elvis team trawling the movie vaults restoring all the raw elements to their full pristine potential. To MGM this movie holds no higher rank than any other archived film. One need only peruse the countless budget priced DVDs out there containing movies from all decades, many which were bigger money spinners than TTWII and they often have nothing more added than a theatrical trailer! Here we have essentially two movies, a making of documentary, outtakes, and (if I’m not wrong) the standard theatrical trailer. Not bad going for a release that can be picked up for as little as $8 as a previous poster has mentioned.

At least for those who are worried I can vouch that if/when we finally see a DVD release of “Elvis On Tour” that the original movie exists with a stereo soundtrack.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:26 am

All I know is that the original TTWII is on disc 2. Hooray, I'll finally have it on DVD. Beyond that, I don't care.
Last edited by JerryNodak on Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:37 am

I dont have the original and now I will! I dont care if its in Mono or Stereo because finally I will have the original release as well as the SE of TTWII plus some extras to go along with it. If this dvd set fails in the sales catagory then you can kiss a SE of Elvis On Tour good bye.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:50 am

Steve1971 wrote:

If this dvd set fails in the sales catagory then you can kiss a SE of Elvis On Tour good bye.

So basically we are being "held hostage".

Either we buy this product, 95% of which we already have, or else. And the "or else" is the really rare and unreleased footage of TTWII and On Tour will never see the light of day officially.

Why does the fan always have to pay just because Warner Bros. has a terrible marketing department?

RKS

Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:18 am

yes my friend it starting to look that way.

as disappointing it is, just buy it for Stranger In The Crowd alone
is reason enough for me.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:50 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Steve1971 wrote:

If this dvd set fails in the sales catagory then you can kiss a SE of Elvis On Tour good bye.

So basically we are being "held hostage".

No.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:41 am

I had the SE of TTWII but believe it or not it got stolen along with a few other items from my house. I was going to buy it again but then I heard Warner was going to release the 2 disk set so I held up. I always have wanted the original version so like I said if its in mono or stereo I'll take it. Plus I get the SE and 40 minutes of extras. Yes Warner could maybe have released more outtakes from TTWII but thats the way it goes I'm not gonna cry over it. As for EOT? Like I said if this dvd set fails to make money I think we wont see a SE of EOT, maybe the original release but not a SE. I'm a happy Elvis fan because this month I will also get several of Elvis's films on dvd that I dont have plus I want to get my hands on this 2 cd set called Viva Las Vegas. Like I said right now I'm one happy Elvis fan!

:D

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:24 am

The original is almost exactally the same as released before, nothing cut,nothing added. As is the SE.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:06 am

LonnieBeale wrote:The original is almost exactally the same as released before, nothing cut,nothing added. As is the SE.

almost exactally the same

Almost? What are the differences then?

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:06 pm

We get to see Cricket and Sue imitating Elvis, and the middle-aged lady's Phi Beta Kapa chain a-jangling.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:11 pm

Loosin´ my mind man... :shock:

Sincerely MB280E

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:49 pm

Jovan wrote:
LonnieBeale wrote:The original is almost exactally the same as released before, nothing cut,nothing added. As is the SE.

almost exactally the same

Almost? What are the differences then?

The chapters are different, the menus are different. The films look the same to me.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:54 pm

So I'm guessing that the original SM is on this release.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:41 pm

Matthew wrote:People, the original movie – as originally released - is out on DVD for those who wish to watch it. This is not a travesty, it is…a BONUS!

This reaction is kind of interesting considering the regular policy of movie houses releasing a standard DVD version of a movie, then a couple of years later releasing a special edition with added bonus features.

Finally, and to reiterate a previous point, this is (gasp) just another library movie that MGM have decided to re-release. There isn’t a dedicated Elvis team trawling the movie vaults restoring all the raw elements to their full pristine potential. To MGM this movie holds no higher rank than any other archived film. One need only peruse the countless budget priced DVDs out there containing movies from all decades, many which were bigger money spinners than TTWII and they often have nothing more added than a theatrical trailer! Here we have essentially two movies, a making of documentary, outtakes, and (if I’m not wrong) the standard theatrical trailer. Not bad going for a release that can be picked up for as little as $8 as a previous poster has mentioned.

At least for those who are worried I can vouch that if/when we finally see a DVD release of “Elvis On Tour” that the original movie exists with a stereo soundtrack.

I usually agree with Matthew's posts...and *always* enjoy reading them...but while I see your points, Matthew, I have to wonder why they'd enhance seven Elvis films, re-enhance two others, and not do anything with TTWII...ESPECIALLY since it's in a set with the SE which looks and sounds brilliant.
It's kinda like a bag of fast food on the Thanksgiving dinner table...
They had six years to work on this film (after the SE came out) and I can't imagine it would have taken all that much work to give the original film the treatment it deserves.
Hmmm, maybe they'll re-release the soundtrack on a 78, and on 8-track as well?

Axe

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:08 pm

Axeman wrote:I usually agree with Matthew's posts...and *always* enjoy reading them...

Hey, thanks, appreciate it!

Axeman wrote:but while I see your points, Matthew, I have to wonder why they'd enhance seven Elvis films, re-enhance two others, and not do anything with TTWII...ESPECIALLY since it's in a set with the SE which looks and sounds brilliant.

Because these other movies are the main product, the original TTWII is a bonus feature of the main product, which is the TTWII SE.

That's my view on it anyway.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:22 pm

Moving on from the sound issue (at least, per se . . .):

Matthew wrote:Because these other movies are the main product, the original TTWII is a bonus feature of the main product, which is the TTWII SE.

This is the problem. I doubt that two-time Oscar winner and original "That's The Way It Is" director Denis Sanders would be happy that his work has been completely re-edited from scratch and demoted to a "bonus feature".

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:26 pm

Matthew wrote: Because these other movies are the main product, the original TTWII is a bonus feature of the main product, which is the TTWII SE.

With all do respect Matthew, your posts are starting to sound more and more like a "wish" to me. It´s almost like you don´t care that much to be honest...same goes for elvissessions posts, too. Why do you keep arguing against the obvious?? What is the point in attacking us for wanting a quality release? Don´t you want every Elvis release to be presented in the best possible quality? :shock:

Sincerely MB280E

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:34 pm

Cryogenic wrote:Moving on from the sound issue (at least, per se . . .):

Matthew wrote:Because these other movies are the main product, the original TTWII is a bonus feature of the main product, which is the TTWII SE.

This is the problem. I doubt that two-time Oscar winner and original "That's The Way It Is" director Denis Sanders would be happy that his work has been completely re-edited from scratch and demoted to a "bonus feature".

A valid point, he would probably be more interested in having this polished up in the mainstream than such cinematic achievements as “Invasion of the Bee Girls” - although ultimately I doubt he’s very bothered by it now! However, this is reaching into territory of the cinematic merits of the original movie, which could be a whole other topic in itself. In all honesty he was probably not the best choice of director to be filming a rockumetary. TTWII was crying out for a re-edit. Whilst it would be great to view an alternate On Tour for example, I would be quite happy with the original since this is a great work in my view and indeed award winning in its own right.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:49 pm

MB280E wrote:With all do respect Matthew, your posts are starting to sound more and more like a "wish" to me. It´s almost like you don´t care that much to be honest...

I will have access to the original TTWII as it was originally released to the public – I’m happy with this.

MB280E wrote:Why do you keep arguing against the obvious?? What is the point in attacking us for wanting a quality release?

Attacking? My contribution here has been to reason why this release exists as it does. Establishing that the original movie has a mono soundtrack and that to essentially re-create the original movie with a stereo soundtrack would be quite an involved prospect and a task that was never likely to happen considering the existence of the 2000 re-edit. Ultimately if we were to have a recreated cut of the original movie with 5.1 surround sound the 2000 re-edit would not exist. Which would you rather have?

Now, if the original TTWII existed with a stereo soundtrack and MGM had gone and put on an inferior mono soundtrack on this release then I would be with the rest of the town ready to hound out the local witch. This is not the case.

MB280E wrote:Don´t you want every Elvis release to be presented in the best possible quality? :shock:

Of course.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:19 pm

Not too long ago, I managed to track down a copy on DVD of the original TTWII film! And i have to admit, that through the first playing the soundtrack was in pure mono. The picture quality can be described as super VHS. Now, I replayed it through a system with many different "sound pictures" to choose from and i surely sounded different. But, I could still not "picture" if it was all mono!
Surely, a re release of this film should at least be in stereo.
I'm gonna get this new release, no matter what, but what times are we linging in??
Do I have to bring out my old VHS????

Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:16 am

TTWII SE a "main product"? C'mon...it's a repackage and not like the other "main products" which have been, apparently, enhanced to look and sound better than ever (in keeping with our current digital medium standards).

That said, with seven movies on DVD for the first time, 3 great sounding FTD's (at least two), and a new '69 show...it's hard to get THAT aggravated over TTWII, but it is still a disappointment...not unlike the many we've suffered at the hands of RCA/BMG since the late 70's, at least.

Axe

Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:46 am

Axeman wrote:

TTWII SE a "main product"? C'mon...it's a repackage and not like the other "main products" which have been, apparently, enhanced to look and sound better than ever (in keeping with our current digital medium standards).

Since TTWII SE was created in 2000 and mastered at that time it would not need any further visual and sound enhancements (save to perhaps extend the running time). It is a master that was created in 2000 in the digital domain. Movies such as “Viva Las Vegas” would have time spent on improving the original master print since this was created over 40 years ago. I don’t see this as a fair comparison and I highly doubt “Viva Las Vegas” now has a stereo soundtrack for all its musical elements. TTWII SE is the DVD; TTWII is bonus material on this DVD.

Now, if TTWII SE didn’t exist then I would expect TTWII to be treated to the same level of restoration as the other movies apparently have been subject to. This still wouldn’t create a stereo mix for it though since as stated, this process would mean recreating the movie which arguably MGM have already done. However, rather than recreating the original, they created a new movie. Some prefer this, other don’t. That is a whole other discussion right there.

Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:00 am

elvissessions.com wrote:I don't think the big conglomerates pay much attention to us, the fringe fanboys.

And who can blame them? It's the same with the hardcore fans of every musician, film, etc. NOTHING is every good enough.

I'm sure my wish list is as long as everyone else's (multi-angle capability, please. mixing board function to isolate audio tracks, please. three dozen commentary tracks -- at least -- please.)

But let's step back and look at it.

US: We want a recut, updated, revised, refreshed version with new added material. This is a screen classic that deserves special attention.
THEM: OK, here you go.
US: BOO!!! (long list of complaints follows.) We won't buy this piece of crap.

US: This is a classic film, it shouldn't be recut, we want the original version on DVD. NOW, please.
THEM: Ummmmm, but you said ... Oh, OK, here you go.
US: BOOOO!!!! (cue complaints.) Who wants this crap; we're not buying it -- maybe we'll find a cutout copy later. And anyway, we already have the special edition, so who needs it anyway.

US: We want more outtakes, more new material, more added footage. NOW! DVD. Gimme!
THEM: Sigh, we know where this is headed, but OK, here you go.
US: BOOO!!!!! (fresh complaints and cries that they never listen to us and they never give us what we want.) We absolutely refuse to buy this and we're going to come to your house and kill your dog. Then we'll go back home and watch our bootleg copies of all the outtakes anyway, so take your cleaned-up straight-from-the-masters versions and shove 'em.

US: We want all of the above -- everything all at once -- in one package and we want it to cost less than the average nuclear family pays at McDonald's for a trip through the drive-through.
THEM: You're shitting us, right? Fine, OK. Let's see how we can work the math on this thing. .... OK, here you go, happy now?
US: BOO!!! Never, never, never. Absolutely we will not have any part of this.

US: We want ...
THEM: Go blow yourself.
US: Uh-oh.

Es, the only problem with your scenario is that we NEVER get either 1,2,3,or 4. We DO get 5 quite a bit :lol:. Where do you get this "OK" by the companies stuff?? You got a secret source or something?? :wink:

Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:12 am

Well, I am glad that TTWII 1970 original is now back on DVD. I personally don't care if it was in mono. As long as I have it, that is the only thing that matters with me.

As for these others saying things like:
It's not stereo. Not enough outtakes. So on, Blah. Blah Blah.

Well, let me say MGM/Warner are not looking at a few fans who want things as you want them. They are looking at the general public to see what they want. The general public doesn't want to see Elvis over and over singing nearly the same songs over and over. So GET OVER IT!!!!!

Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:38 am

elvislennon wrote:Blah. Blah Blah.

That's quite a vocabulary you've got there.