All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:22 pm

elvis presley scrapbook wrote:And we all thought the cover was going to be black didn't we.

Is the pic on the cover from the actual show?

Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:11 pm

crap.......I was looking for this new cd in shops today but could not find it :twisted:

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:04 pm

is it out?

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:59 pm

The official release date given is July 30. However at least blahdvd.com is shipping it already. According to the message they send it was shipped to me yesterday.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:04 pm

It's certainly out in the UK, I got it.

The 1972 tracks seem to have been re-worked (not re-mixed) compared to the 70's masters and Burning Love cd but nothing too drastic, to me over all the levels sound better balanced on it and that's all.

The 69 show kicks some ass, that's all I can say.

Disc 1 and Disc 2 were both mastered by Vic Anesini but there is no mention of re-mixing for disc one, so other than the mastering which seems to be the levels as mentioned above I would say no re-mixing for disc one.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:07 pm

thanks so much for your review.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:09 pm

Finally a mainstream release to get excited about. It's about time them muthafuckers got it right!

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:43 pm

I'm sure it's a great release,because of the unreleased show,but the cover is ugly and boring. This new cover is even worse than the black version was. Very amateurish and too similar to E1.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:20 am

Johanesson wrote:I'm sure it's a great release,because of the unreleased show,but the cover is ugly and boring. This new cover is even worse than the black version was. Very amateurish and too similar to E1.

This is of course a matter of opinion - I for one like the cover design and see the marketing merits of the similarity to the E1 colours.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:35 am

I love the iconic, cooler-than-cool pose and can't imagine too many more-exciting images of Elvis to pitch his concert material. Seriously.

I do favor the black cover though, but I'm certainly not upset about the redesign.
Last edited by elvissessions on Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:58 am

Since the disc 2 questions have been lodged I'm wondering if anyone can offer any thoughts on disc 1. My questions are:

1) Are the “On Stage” masters the original album mixes, or the late 90s re-mixes.

2) Which performance of “Walk A Mile In My Shoes” is featured on this CD? The chronology of tracks would imply it’s an August 1970 version since it follows "I Just Can't Help Believin'".

3) How does the sound picture sync on the August 1970 selections considering it has been established already that "I Just Can't Help Believin'" is the original album master.

4) Ultimately, which versions of all August 1970 tracks do we have? For example 4 songs including "I Just Can't Help Believin'" appear to be from the original "That's The Way It Is" album, the others being "I've Lost You", "Patch It Up", and "You've Lost That Loving Feeling". Are these the actual master versions? Are they remixes? Alternate performances? Especially in the case of "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" considering the master was remixed as part of the main show on disc 2 of "That's The Way It Is - Special Edition".

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:31 am

JonRomanovich wrote:Is the pic on the cover from the actual show?

No, it is from a few days later -- but it sure is bad-ass, isn't it?

The general public deserve to see Elvis looking that awesome in his mature period. Remember -- all most shoppers know when they think "Elvis" and "Las Vegas" is a fat has-been with mutton-chops and a garish white, bejeweled jumpsuit. Time to teach them a little history lesson!

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:40 am

I believe the pic on the cover is the Aug. 23 midnight show, which actually occurred on Aug 24 a.m.! This show was released on FTD as "At the International." Can anyone confirm?

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:49 am

Matthew,

Check out the 30 second samples at

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=6323763

and report back with the answers to your questions.

Mystery Train

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:02 am

MysteryTrain wrote:Matthew,

Check out the 30 second samples at

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=6323763

and report back with the answers to your questions.

Mystery Train

Thank you for the thought however this will need to wait until I'm on a system to do so. Besides, I figued having this information in writing would be handy for those who are unable to easily listen to sound clips right away and indeed identify particular performances from them.

Thanks anyway.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:26 am

wow those sound clips of the aug. 21 show sound incredible!!

they may have really hit the ball out of the park from a mixing/mastering perspective at long last. can't wait to pick this one up and crank it.

can anyone determine from these clips if it's the dinner or midnight show?

the doc has whetted my appetite to hear the ms version of what'd i say.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:35 am

The Doc will be over the moon !!

It's gotta be the M.S as the "Happy Birthday" by Elvis to James
is
immediately followed by "Hot Damn Right" just as it sounded on
COLLECTOR'S GOLD!

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:51 am

Robt you are absolutely right.

Notice Jerry's bassline, Tutt's kick drum and how Elvis clears his throught after "Happy Birthday" concludes.

The Collector's Gold "Introductions" track is the same one found here on the new Aug 21 show.

So this confirms this to be the midnight show?
Last edited by monkboughtlunch on Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:52 am

Robt wrote:The Doc will be over the moon !!

It's gotta be the M.S as the "Happy Birthday" by Elvis to James
is
immediately followed by "Hot Damn Right" just as it sounded on
COLLECTOR'S GOLD!

It seems ol' "Daryl" is off the mark yet again. What a surprise!

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:56 am

If this is the midnight show, as it now appears to be, then Tunzi was in error, or they edited tracks from the show.

However, I doubt they would have edited any songs from the disc as the monologue is included. So it appears Tunzi was in error?

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:06 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:So it appears Tunzi was in error?

No one is perfect!

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

No one is perfect!

This is true--just trying to determine if there are tracks missing from the release.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:08 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

No one is perfect!

This is true--just trying to determine if there are tracks missing from the release.

I would wager no.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:18 am

This sound clip of What'd I Say sounds smokin' indeed. Elvis is virtually screaming the lyrics in that great gravely 68 comeback voice. You can picture him aggressively jerking the microphone back and forth between verses to punctuate Tutt's tom-tom blasts. It's always a treat to hear this song from this engagement, but this appears to be the first stereo mixdown that does justice to the sonic soundstage. The bassline just sounds deep, rich and wonderful, and all the instruments are so clear and well mastered. This mix has real balls!! The kickdrum is finally mastered to have real punch, instead of sounding like flaccid simulacra.
Last edited by monkboughtlunch on Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:21 am

hey Doc and Monkboughtlunch,

While i'm not exactly a Tunzi fan, i find myself in the ironic position of coming
to his defense . Tunzi may have been correct with track listing details as per his SESSIONS saga, it could be a splice of both the dinner and midnight shows? This cannot be dismissed just yet. Thus far, none of the promotional amazon material and their like, defines one way or the other. Guess we'll just have to wait
and see what it says on the actual packaging when it surfaces.
Last edited by Robt on Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.