All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:36 am

Keith F wrote:Very sad to hear this Luuk - my condolences to you and your family

Same here. Hang in there, Luuk. We're all with ya.

Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:40 am

:o Yes i have read Kieths 'splice' of shows list and indeed it sure DOES make a helluva a lot of sence to explain this show,.... obviously 'words' (for some reason?) wasn't included?? this doesn't 100% explain this release but does 95% explain it-thanks for the hard work-so far Kieth!. :lol:

Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:12 am

Sorry to hear your sad news, Luuk.

My thoughts are with you.

Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:28 am

Sorry to hear Luuk.

Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:14 pm

I know I come late to this interesting thread, but I have just finished listening closely (as I got my copy just hours ago 'cause I have been on holiday) and I myself wondered:
1. Why no Words?
2. Why didn't they take the MS, as it had a longer (and more rockin') set list; obviously they wanted a real rocking show; not that the DS doesn't rock, but acording to Tunzi the MS has Memories replaced by I Can't Stop Loving You and My Babe added and thus is probably the most rocking show of all.

My conclusions:

The answer may be much more simple as we might think.

First: Tunzi might be wrong and Words wasn't performed or recorded or it was, but has faults.
Second: Words was omitted, because it clearly is not thought as an typical Elvis song in the eye of the general public. For the same reason they might have omitted Sweet Caroline from disc 1 (the only one missing from the original On Stage programme recorded in 1970). Thus they have two discs with the same number of songs again and all of them are typical Elvis songs.

I think the second explanation is not too far fetched (strange as it seems), because this could well be the logic of an Sony/BMG marketing "expert".

And gives me one hope: That the DS will see the light of a complete mainstreame release in the far future. Maybe as part of a special 69- set. Just wishful thinking....

Peter

Btw thanks to all your great thoughts on this subject. Really a pleasure to read. And: Viva Las Vegas still is No 8 on the album charts of Austria, while The King still tops at no 1!

Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:23 pm

The VIVA LAS VEGAS set has been the surpise CD album hit of the year in my opinion.
I'm still playing and loving it despite the frustration of still not knowing the answer to the question.
Got to say 'BRAVO' Sony/BMG

Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:23 am

elvis presley scrapbook wrote:The VIVA LAS VEGAS set has been the surpise CD album hit of the year in my opinion.
I'm still playing and loving it despite the frustration of still not knowing the answer to the question.
Got to say 'BRAVO' Sony/BMG

The real surprise for me was actually not the material but the phenomenal sound quality. It's a true testament to what's possible today if a record company puts the right muscle behind a mainstream release, which SonyBMG seems to have done in this case.

The bass extension and analog feel of the 70/72 live tracks is wonderful and rivals that of the original LP's. I find the level of sound improvement quite revealing. One really has to wonder what the Sun sessions would sound like had they been remastered today.

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:01 am

yes I was listening today to the Jailhouse Rock/Don't be Cruel medley and admiring how 'tight' the band and Elvis sound! like that version is 100% superb...IT ROCKS ...if only all versions had been that good instead of later sloppy singing by Elvis and the band sounding tired!

Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:24 pm

Did we conclude on the question regarding just which show it is yet?

DS/MS or splice of both, just wondering.

Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:27 am

I don't think this has been laid to rest. Ernst is not talking.

The evidence strongly suggests this could indeed be a contiguous dinner show--with the possible omission of Words.

Strange that this has not yet been resolved.

Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:03 pm

I jus checked out the latest issue of Billboard mag, (Oct. 6, 2007), and to my astonishment, the cd Viva Las Vegas has re-entered the charts to clock in at #144.

This disc has charted, all together, for a total of 8 weeks, so far ...

Not Bad.

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:21 am

the 'viva las vegas' 2 CD set IS great and deserves chart positioning! :lol:

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:16 am

Rob wrote:
KingOfTheJungle wrote:
Rob wrote:It may be just me, but the worst sounding mix from a '69 show to me comes from the "All Shook Up" FTD. I wouldn't get rid of it for anything though.

It's just you.

Told ya.
Wrong. Hope you do not mind my company. The "All Shook Up" FTD is the crappoliest mix of any 69 shows released thus far legitimately. My words of course! :lol:

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:47 pm

I agree too - don't think much of ASU. VLV is better. The best tracks for me so far though are on the Elvis Live CD - you can pick out every single note of Jerry's bass as against it either rumbling away or being hardly present at all depending on the release.

VLV rocks - still my no.1 play at the moment - can you imagine being in the audience and hearing those last three tracks for the first time (not including CHFIL here). Awesome (as long as you could tear yourself away from chicken in the basket of course).

cheers Jamie

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:19 pm

Juan Luis wrote:"All Shook Up" FTD is the crappoliest mix of any 69 shows released thus far legitimately.

Well, begin affixing your blame with the late Felton Jarvis.

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:"All Shook Up" FTD is the crappoliest mix of any 69 shows released thus far legitimately.

Well, begin affixing your blame with the late Felton Jarvis.
Don't care really(in this particular case) who mixed it...sux still..but good show.

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:40 pm

Juan Luis wrote:Don't care really(in this particular case) who mixed it...sux still..but good show.

The FTD release of All Shook Up is not a Felton mix, but in August 1969 he apparently varied what got recorded on the individual tracks from show to show, thus the differences noted by various members of this forum.

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:34 pm

I've often wondered if that was the case. If you think about it no self respecting producer would have done anything different. Lets face it you wouldn't mix everything the same for each show at the time in case when you got to the studio/or reviewed it later it sucked. You would try variations in the hope one of two were spot on.

cheers Jamie

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:09 am

Jamie wrote:I've often wondered if that was the case. If you think about it no self respecting producer would have done anything different. Lets face it you wouldn't mix everything the same for each show at the time in case when you got to the studio/or reviewed it later it sucked. You would try variations in the hope one of two were spot on.

cheers Jamie
If this were the case (I do not know) as a producer you let the knob twirling to the engineer or technician (same thing less pay) instead of doing the amateurish original instrument ,voice placings!!! BUT TO BE FAIR. This is behind the scenes stuff and the actual released (in the year of our Lord nineteen-hundred-and -sixty-nine) product is A1 ! So Felton RIP did his job! And well!

Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:04 am

i reckon the fact that the original 1969 live releases sounded 'great' and this recent 2 CD set sounds so good and getting more than 400 posts on this thread CONFIRMS that this release should be in every serious fans collection!! :lol: