All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:52 pm

Just heard the cd for the first time today and its quite good but I must say that I`m very tied of hearing the same jokes/comments between each song.....its like you know what he`s gonna say before he actually says it.
That is the worst part regarding these august 69 shows.
Also the "stud" comment into yesterday are getting worn out by now.......
The shows from a year later had more variable comments/talking between songs.
Still a great cd though

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:01 pm

midnightx wrote:
Seriously, has it been confirmed that the concert in question will be issued seperately as a single disc set later this year?

Is this info correct ?

You mean Sony/BMG are going to try and milk out every drop, (again), by re-releasing the '69 concert as a single disc ...?

If true, not surprising at all.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:57 pm

I would have thought that they would have released the Vegas show on a single disc. Then make what is now disc one, disc two on a double CD set. That way, we collectors wouldn't have to pay for something that we've already had for years. It almost seems like they're trying to milk.......

Never mind.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:50 am

There are 2 major problems with this release. The first one, which has been discussed, is that once again the fan/consumer is forced to purchase material (the 1970/1972 recordings) they already have on multiple compilations just to obtain the real gem, the 1969 show. The second one, is the fact that in the U.S., the fan/consumer has to go to Walmart to purchase this release. Some members of this message board probably do a lot of shopping there, so it is no big deal. But some have no interest in ever going into a Walmart, let alone start purchasing music there. It is a very sad time in the music business when one is forced to go to a Walmart to purchase exclusive music merchandise -- what a freakin' joke.

On the positive side, at least another amazing show from 1969 has been released and some skilled hands from the mastering and mixing standpoint are involved.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:15 am

Just got this today.

Has it finally been determined whether that this is the DS or MS or a mixture of both?

On a quick run through there does appear to be some edits and sound shifts.

Love the quality.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:27 am

Have been running a few tracks from disc 2 through a graphic EQ.

A good reason why it sounds so good is that it has loads of headroom thus more dynamics and no clipping.

I invite you to try this....then run through a few FTD live shows.

Viva La Difference :D

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:45 am

midnightx wrote:Seriously, has it been confirmed that the concert in question will be issued seperately as a single disc set later this year?

Unfortunately this is serious. We have rumours that Viva Las Vegas will not be a double CD in Brazil. It will only bring the 1969 concert.

Man, Tom Parker still lives!

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:34 am

Renan wrote:
midnightx wrote:Seriously, has it been confirmed that the concert in question will be issued seperately as a single disc set later this year?

Unfortunately this is serious. We have rumours that Viva Las Vegas will not be a double CD in Brazil. It will only bring the 1969 concert.

Man, Tom Parker still lives!

Then you are fortunate. You will not have to repurchase the Vegas recordings from 70/72 once again -- and at Walmart.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:39 am

midnightx wrote: ... once again the fan/consumer is forced to purchase material (the 1970/1972 recordings) they already have on multiple compilations just to obtain the real gem, the 1969 show.

Be honest -- no one is putting a gun to your head.

Basically, if the set is $20.00 USD, it can be viewed as the fan/consumer paying that price for the August 1969 show, and the other stuff as just a bonus CD. Given that FTD costs about $30.00 USD per disc, I don't see the issue.

Besides, Elvis Presley is not a powerhouse at retail, and BMG is in business to turn a profit. When all is said and done, the hardcore fan should not feel too bad at all.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote: ... once again the fan/consumer is forced to purchase material (the 1970/1972 recordings) they already have on multiple compilations just to obtain the real gem, the 1969 show.

Be honest -- no one is putting a gun to your head.

Basically, if the set is $20.00 USD, it can be viewed as the fan/consumer paying that price for the August 1969 show, and the other stuff as just a bonus CD. Given that FTD costs about $30.00 USD per disc, I don't see the issue.

Besides, Elvis Presley is not a powerhouse at retail, and BMG is in business to turn a profit. When all is said and done, the hardcore fan should not feel too bad at all.

As a fan, I had no choice but to head over to Walmart for the first time ever to purchase this title. Pretty pathetic that I no longer have a choice of where to shop for certain new music releases. Most likely, I will repeat the pleasent experience when The Eagles release their first studio effort in 25+ years as a Walmart exclusive in the fall. Best Buy started this trend a few years back with an exclusive bonus disc for The Who's BBC Sessions release. A gun to my head? I wasn't that pissed, just making some observations. The repackaging of the same 70/72 recordings is annoying. Does it matter? No. As you point out, in today's market, $19 is basically the price for new titles after their initial sale price is removed, so one isn't being shafted from a financial standpoint at this time (the price will go up). Again, there is no gun involved here, but as a fan and consumer, I had no choice but to repurchase recycled live material and shop at a store I have no interest in going to just to obtain some unreleased material. Yeah, EP is not a powerhouse at retail, but how is making his music exclusive to one store helping? Sad how times have changed.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:11 am

removed by user
Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:10 am

elvissessions.com wrote:Like it or not -- and I don't especially -- Walmart is the No. 1 music retailer in the country. It's natural that some deals will be cut for prominent placement -- or for being carried at all.

But what does that #1 ranking represent? Certainly not stocked catalogue of all genres of music. It represents sales of top 40. With the shrinking of Virgin, the closing of Tower, etc, there are few physical retailers left that can cater to the vast needs of music consumers. Most consumers have to hit the internet for the ability to explore deep catalogues. EP will not be moving large "top 40" units in general. Why not make a new release with archival material readily available at as many retail outlets as possible to move as many units as possible? Certainly Borders, Barnes&Noble, Best Buy, Target and even the shrinking music retailers like Sam Goody and Virgin could help move new EP product. This Walmart deal doesn't help the consumer, it is solely a business deal with Sony/BMG and Walmart that goes beyond EP product.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:20 am

removed by user
Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:56 pm

Just what is the big deal with having to get this release from Walmart? Where I live it's our only choice of shopping on a large scale really..other than one other source which to be honest is rubbish.

It's been said it's because of the way they treat their Employees..yet the one's where I live are always happy and laughing and joking.

If it wasn't for Walmart I would have had to wait weeks to get this release so at the minute I love em!

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:14 pm

elvissessions.com, the biggest asset the record labels have today is 1) their publishing and 2) their catalogues. The Walmarts, Targets, Best Buys, Borders, Starbucks, etc of the world really for the most part only push top 40 releases. They usually don't stock extensive catalogue. Top 40 is dead. The consumer doesn't care about Top 40 anymore, that is a huge reason the business model the labels have in place is dying. Why pay $20 for a CD of 1 or 2 hits along with 10 more tracks of filler? People aren't doing it. The labels no longer are in the business of developing talent, they sold out and went for the quick buck and tried to shove talentless hacks down the public's throat. The public called their bluff and stopped buying. So Walmart having a 16 percent share of a dead market means nothing. A lot of industry insiders will tell you that they need to license more music, find a way to legitimize P2P and to focus on moving back catalogues. Walmart and gang are not going to help, all the mighty Walmart will do is give the labels a place to run a campaign for a new Top 40 release that may move 1.5 to 2 million copies, which in a country of over 300 million people is a joke of a number. The labels and their distribution deals with companies like Walmart are going down the toilet. The business is going in a different direction and being pioneered by other players in the game....

So what is Sony/BMG's biggest EP asset? Obviously the catalogue. Yes, so it makes sense for them to market and sell the master recordings. They try to move compilation after compilation. Since they are still focused on moving CDs, why not sell them at every possible consumer destination? Add a bonus CD of unreleased vault material, but only sell it at one outlet? One has to wonder why they wouldn't try to maximize sales potential and move as many units as possible by making the material available at as many outlets as possible. They are waving to everyone as they sink into the water.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:23 pm

elvissessions.com wrote:And it ain't as though anyone's going to have trouble finding a Walmart to buy a copy.

I live in San Mateo Co, in California...there are no Wal-Marts here...they have never gotten approval to buy land out here...or in San francisco County either.
Considering how they've killed every "mom & pop" store in the country, I say hooray!
F 'em

Axe

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:16 pm

Axeman wrote:
elvissessions.com wrote:And it ain't as though anyone's going to have trouble finding a Walmart to buy a copy.

I live in San Mateo Co, in California...there are no Wal-Marts here...they have never gotten approval to buy land out here...or in San francisco County either.
Considering how they've killed every "mom & pop" store in the country, I say hooray!
F 'em

Axe

Exactly. Not everyone has access to Walmart or wants to. Having exclusive music releases at Walmart is a joke.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:48 pm

This release will be available at other stores on August 13th.

If you don't like Wal-mart - don't go - just wait until it's available at Target.

There is another thread discussing this on page 3.

RKS

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:56 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:This release will be available at other stores on August 13th.

If you don't like Wal-mart - don't go - just wait until it's available at Target.

There is another thread discussing this on page 3.

RKS

So is Target any better than Walmart? To be honest I don't quite see a difference...

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:22 pm

thenexte wrote:So is Target any better than Walmart? To be honest I don't quite see a difference...

Target's TV commercials are superb, WAY better than Wal-Mart's.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:23 pm

O.K. then go to Best Buy. Anywhere you buy CD's it's going to be a major retailer. A big corperation.

The complaint was that they had to step foot into Wal-mart to buy the CD - no you don't. There (or will be) other options.

RKS

Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:54 am

:o This is a 'superb' release and mostly because the sound is excellent! now having listened to it first after Happy Birthday to James Burton Elvis says 'hot damm right' SAME as collectors gold (1991 release) and same as Legend lives on. later on just before performing In the Ghetto Elvis says 'i'll be dammed if i'll sing happy birthday to him again'. Now if? correct original date was the M/S...then this is it(but track-listing doesn't match given listing in sessions III) or if its the D/S...then this show also doesn't match the track listing either..... however the fact that this version of happy birthday is exactly SAME as 'known version' and Elvis says he's not going to do it again...i get to be thinking that the correct date REALLY IS Dinner Show and other releases from this show have for YEARS been incorrectly dated , therefore 1 song was either cut out or incorrectly listed? the 100% answer i cannot give based upon only a few tracks heard from the 21st August 1969 before this release but if i had to put $$$ on which date i'd be going for 21.8.69 D/S.!!! whatever the date though -its an excellent release, maybe i should treat this as my Oct 07' soundboard release???
Last edited by YDKM on Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:50 am

removed by user
Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walmart 20 minutes away from San Mateo, california

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:02 am

To the person in San Mateo, California who can't locate a Walmart...try Mountain View, California...about 20 minutes South on Highway 101. They had plenty copies of Viva Las Vegas on the shelves when I bought my copy on the weekend.

Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:35 am

I just listened to the concert, and it is great. I have THE LEGAND LIVES ON on record and it is great to have the songs on cd. A really good concert from 69.