Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:12 am

So this release is worth buying then :?:

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:47 am

Bilko wrote:So this release is worth buying then :?:

What do you think, hm?

Really, you can't go wrong with this one... now you're on your own, son :wink:

Joern

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:56 am

It's everything Minkahead said it was and then some more (loved the ballz to the wallz quote) and have played it three times today already. Elvis was on Fire on this release.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:58 am

minkahed wrote:I was actually not interested and going to pass up on this set

I can't imagine in my wildest dreams saying such a thing about an unreleased 1969 show. Tell me you didn't really mean it, Mink.

Even if you have to lie to me....tell me!!!!

Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:08 am

Well I gonna buy the cd then,you all have convinced me to do it

Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:21 am

this set is first class its great to have good cds in the store again for the general public a friend of mine said last year you dont see much new intresting cds of elvis in the shops anymore when i asked what he wanted he said the essential type cds ( outakes) i said there is a collecter label called follow that dream thats as allsorts including soundboards he never knew :shock: makes me think how many fans are lossing out because they dont know about the label . also why not have the odd single disc in the shops with soundbards and outakes im sure there is a market out there still with the general public i dont know how you all feel but i really miss seeing new intresting cds in the stores :( like viva las vegas if anybody is thinking of not buying you will be lossing out as the sound is the best

Jess

I-Tunes transfer message identifies concert as Dinner Show.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:56 am

Not sure that this answers the DS v MS question but I did notice that when you import the tracks from the CD into your personal I-Tunes library...the pre-transfer message (after the song titles have been retrieved from the I-Tunes library) identifies the CD name. The name identifies the concert as ...wait for it..."Dinner Show". Thought it was quite remarkable that this is the only area where that fact gets called out.

Re: I-Tunes transfer message identifies concert as Dinner Sh

Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:04 am

slaterus wrote:Not sure that this answers the DS v MS question but I did notice that when you import the tracks from the CD into your personal I-Tunes library...the pre-transfer message (after the song titles have been retrieved from the I-Tunes library) identifies the CD name. The name identifies the concert as ...wait for it..."Dinner Show". Thought it was quite remarkable that this is the only area where that fact gets called out.

Isn’t this information supplied by other users to the database? Most likely this CD information has been submitted by a user who believes the show is the DS rather than iTunes having inside information.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:36 am

Gracenote CDDB is the database service that supplies the titles for I-Tunes transfers. Reading their FAQ's my sense is that they accept the initial title information from the commercial seller of the CD then they allow for user updates which in turn have to be approved by their staff.

Lord knows I'm no expert on this process, given that this topic has generated 11 pages of dialogue...just wanted to point out the Dinner Show reference. I'm personally just enjoying another great Elvis 1969 moment...I have no interest in the DS v MS issue but I do respect those who take the time to track that info.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:42 am

Rob wrote:
This is the first BMG release that I have actually bought in a store in a few years. I have relied on the imports and FTD for my Elvis needs. It is an exceptional release and should be owned by every fan. Even those who are "tired of the same 1969 Vegas shows." This is definitely Elvis knockin' 'em dead and enjoying it.

Elvis aside, if you want to hear the TCB Band at it's very best, all one has to do is crank up the volume and listen to "What'd I Say."

It doesn't get any better than that.

I'm with Rob here folks. This was my first BMG purchase since Close-Up. Don't deprive yourselves of a great cd. Get out there and get it!

Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:32 am

For those sitting on the fence with this purchase...get off the fence..the second CD is very good. The earlier comments regarding Hound Dog, AYLT, What I'd Say, Runaway are all on point..Elvis delivers strong focused performances. For me, What I'd Say (69 versions) has always had a ragged feel to it ....Elvis really drives this version which along with the tight guitar work stops the whole thing spinning into a swamp of noise. Also a solid power version of CHFIL to complete the show. The sound quality (headphones) to my ears is top notch. Really enjoying this CD...it'll be commute music for the week.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:09 am

Rob wrote:
minkahed wrote:I was actually not interested and going to pass up on this set

I can't imagine in my wildest dreams saying such a thing about an unreleased 1969 show. Tell me you didn't really mean it, Mink.

Even if you have to lie to me....tell me!!!!

Some of my lies are true ... ! :lol:

Seriously Rob, I had no idea of the unreleased '69 concert being tagged onto this set until I read about it on this thread.

I thought all we were going to get, in the U.S., was the first disc, which, like most Presley fans, already own in several different configurations anyway.

Outstanding release anyway you look at it ... :wink:

Re: I-Tunes transfer message identifies concert as Dinner Sh

Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:23 am

Matthew wrote:
slaterus wrote:Not sure that this answers the DS v MS question but I did notice that when you import the tracks from the CD into your personal I-Tunes library...the pre-transfer message (after the song titles have been retrieved from the I-Tunes library) identifies the CD name. The name identifies the concert as ...wait for it..."Dinner Show". Thought it was quite remarkable that this is the only area where that fact gets called out.

Isn’t this information supplied by other users to the database? Most likely this CD information has been submitted by a user who believes the show is the DS rather than iTunes having inside information.

Yes.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:34 am

Bilko wrote:Well I gonna buy the cd then,you all have convinced me to do it

You won't regret it! :D

Joern

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:50 am

Keith F wrote:If it wasn't for fans like me Colin, we would have a lot of wrongly dated tracks on various releases, and the fans wouldn't be any the wiser!
They would just take for granted that what is written in the liner notes is the truth - when it isn't!

Yes, Keith, and it's greatly appreciated, believe me !

I was just making one of my little jokes, not having a go at you.............

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:09 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:
Robert wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:I should point out is that a tambourine is very prominent in the mix

Can someone please explain the match between The King of Rock and a f*ckin tambourine?

I'll get this great release anyway;)

Sounds like a question for Lance LeGault?

:lol: yes but he was better then Alan Fortas on guitar box?

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Isn't it nice that a BMG release warrants an 11+ page thread?

A breath of fresh air.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:19 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:I've listened to this a bit more and would like to add that the sound is warm and rich with an "analog tube" sound that has come to be the sonic signature of Vic Anesini. Smooth, warm bass, well chosen EQ and a very moderate use of compression to really polish these performances and make them glow.

It seems they used some new mastering equipment on this one, how could you otherwise explain the phenomenal jump in sound quality? Some of these tracks were only reissued last year on the "Elvis Live" (2006) compilation as new DSD remasters, but they are vastly improved here!

I think this is one of the best sounding Elvis CD's ever, and it blows away the Japanese "On stage" CD, which was mastered in analog way back when. Perhaps we are now at a point where digital technology is finally able to accurately reproduce the sound quality of the analog mastertape?
Last edited by thenexte on Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:34 pm

Robert wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:I should point out is that a tambourine is very prominent in the mix

Can someone please explain the match between The King of Rock and a f*ckin tambourine?

I'll get this great release anyway;)

I'll bet it was on the same track as some other drums and couldn't be isolated...

Axe

WHAT'D I SAY

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:28 am

I've always upheld, in old postings, that this particular version of "What'd I say" was the best live version and here it is AT LAST, around 30 years after the "Legend lives on" bootleg LP in top notch sound quality for the first time. AND mixed in a way that doesn't lose any of the guitar solo.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:11 am

I think it is quite remarkable thaht we get the live masters of Patch It Up and I've Lost You for the first time in upgraded audio. Those tracks didn't even have a proper Ferrante remix back in the 90s.

Also it's cool not to have a fake concert on CD 1 but a "Vegas Masters"-record, i'd like to name it. Every track fades in and out. There is no crossfading between takes which makes an interesting listening.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jamie wrote:apologies I don't have any hard evidence . I was basing it on some of the dialogue on this board around the first show recorded and the content of The Legend Lives On. Now I have had time to re-read the thred in full I am even more confused! ... Hopefully we will get a definitive answer on whether this is the DS or MS shortly.

No worries -- I am working on the answer now, will post it when confirmed.

Any updates on your research, Doc?

Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:54 am

thenexte wrote:Any updates on your research, Doc?

Not yet -- I am trying, hang in there!

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:54 am

Rob wrote:Isn't it nice that a BMG release warrants an 11+ page thread?

A breath of fresh air.

Only because there was and is mass confusion about the content/dates of the release. Their tight-lipped philosophy about the content of their releases is really is doing wonders....

Seriously, has it been confirmed that the concert in question will be issued seperately as a single disc set later this year?

CONCERT

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:06 pm

Yes, probably as a digipak with extra booklet, photos, plus one bonus track, previously unreleased!!!