All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:32 pm

OK, are we to settle on the MS August 21st 1969 ?

This means that the track lists in Sessions III by Joe Tunzi are incorrect as Elvis sings MEMORIES at the MS not the DS as he has listed.

So now would it be correct to presume the reverse that he sang MY BABE at the DS ?

But hang fire a goddam minute..... he has I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU and WORDS for the MS too and neither of those tunes are on this release?

I submit, I submit !

How hard would it have been for SONY/BMG to say ?

Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:46 pm

elvis presley scrapbook wrote:
How hard would it have been for SONY/BMG to say ?

If only the ask Ernst-thing was still a part of this site! :?

Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:46 pm

Sounds like there could have been a little editing and/or splicing involved here. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:56 pm

Could Sessions III be inaccurate?

Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:09 pm

kuenzer wrote:Could Sessions III be inaccurate?

Sure.. :lol:

Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:13 pm

Hi,

very interesting topic.
I don't want to interfere with the August 21th MS topic, but i had questions about two other well known gigs :

- is the possible August 3rd DS ("Opening Night 69") incomplete or is the listing on various websites and books wrong ?
"Runaway" -listed in various sources - is not on the tape, and when i reworked the gig for a dimeadozen torrent, i did not found any possible edit between "Baby What You Want Me To Do" and "Are You Lonesome Tonight ?". As the tape is taken from a few reel-to-reel tapes, all is correct and i did not find anything missing (each parts is around 17m if i'm right, a possible project for an official live ?).
A strange question but can be that tape taken from... a late August gig instead ?

- if we use the "Here I Go Again" bootleg and the "Writing For The King" official release, can we complete the August 24th MS (using "Suspicious Minds" and "Can't Help Falling In Love" from "WFTK") ?

See You

Vince

Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:20 pm

elvis presley scrapbook wrote:OK, are we to settle on the MS August 21st 1969 ?

If the tracks are the same versions as the ones on The Legend Lives On and Collectors Gold...YES..!!

Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:28 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
elvis presley scrapbook wrote:OK, are we to settle on the MS August 21st 1969 ?

If the tracks are the same versions as the ones on The Legend Lives On and Collectors Gold...YES..!!

Then YES, it is.

Phew :shock: :D :lol:

Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:51 pm

Which version of "I Just Can't Help Believin'" is featured on disc 1? Is it the dubbed master, unbudded master (unreleased), or an alternative performance?

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:05 am

Matthew wrote:Which version of "I Just Can't Help Believin'" is featured on disc 1? Is it the dubbed master, unbudded master (unreleased), or an alternative performance?

The regular master

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:12 am

any improvement on the 72 tracks on disc 1?

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:19 am

frus75 wrote:any improvement on the 72 tracks on disc 1?

Hard for me to tell as they are not something I listen to a lot, I wouldn't like to say.

But any improvement over which other release for example?

Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:29 am

Hi - how many minutes total is the aug. 21 concert on the CD?

Re: Yes it is a NEW 1969 show!

Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:33 am

elvis presley scrapbook wrote:Just to confirm that the show on disc two is a new 69 show.

I just picked up a copy of VIVA LAS VEGAS and I'm listening to I GOT A WOMAN as I type this post.

Mastered by Vic Anesini at Sony Studios NYC and disc two mixed by Ray Bardini at Electric lady studios, assistant engineer Dror Mohar.

This is very promising. Did Anesini master the 2nd disc too? Or just disc 1? What's great about all of this is that we get a fresh mix--with no Ferrante or Reidel in sight.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:34 am

frus75 wrote:any improvement on the 72 tracks on disc 1?

It would be pretty hard to improve on the 70s Masters um, masters in terms of sound quality.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:24 am

So this is the very first professional live concert ever recorded of Elvis? i don't count the 68 burbank cause that's was part of a tv production.
Scott

Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:31 am

well from the disc notes they say this:-DISC 2 Previously unreleased concert, recorded at The International Hotel in Las Vegas, August 21, 1969 D.S.
Elvis introduces the Tiplers from Crown Electric during his monolgue
Just because Elvis sings happy birthday to James Burton doesn't have to mean it is the M/S... i believe he sang that at BOTH shows performed this date.Of cource its 'highly likely' that Tunzi's EXACT set list for this show could well be wrong! i'm glad i ordered this CD...i havn't recieved this -yet , but in actual fact i'm even more excited thinking that if its the D/S...then really ALL of the show i wouldn't have heard before!!!! :lol:

Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:33 am

Let's hope it is the MS, as I really want that version of "What'd I Say" in perfect quality.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:27 am

Elvis Japan is reporting this is the Dinner Show?

http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~presley/cdnews.htm

Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:42 am

Hi Scrapbook,

How would you rate the performance and sound quality compared to:

-Live in Las Vegas (disc 1)
-At the International FTD
-All Shook UP FTD

The general consensus has been that the Midnight shows have been more explosive, as Elvis is performing for a more "mature" late night crowd, and he has had the benefit of warming up and "waking up" after the earlier dinner show.

So, if this is a dinner show, it marks the second occasion that BMG/Sony has issued a dinner show on the mainstream label. In fact, the superior midnight shows have only been issued on the FTD fan label.

Does this Aug. 21 dinner show contain a performance as good or better than the midnight shows issued on FTD?

And lastly, how would you rate the mix and mastering by the new team compared to the Ferrante / Reidel stockpiled mixes we have been getting for years? We know that Anesini is the man, but how about Bardini's mix? Can all instruments be heard? You mentioned that the instruments are now panned/positioned across the stereo soundstage to more accurately reflect the musician's real location on stage. That's great, because Ferrante was always very sloppy about that. Can the piano be heard in the mix? Is the bass well defined? Oddly, the bass sounded rich and deep on LILV disc 1, while sounding thin and cardboard like on the 2 FTDs. Does the Aug. 21 show contain injudicious, crappy sounding digital reverb--like that which was added by Lene Reidel on "At the International" FTD?

Since this is the first RCA show recorded, are their any microphone or sound gremlins that pop up?

Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:01 am

i looked at the Japan site and was MOST INTERESTED that their track-listing contains MORE details!:-
Disc 2
1. (Aug.21,1969, Dinner Show) Blue Suede Shoes
2. I Got A Woman
3. All Shook Up
4. Love Me Tender
5. Jailhouse Rock / Don't Be Cruel
6. Heartbreak Hotel
7. Hound Dog
8. Memories
9. Mystery Train / Tiger Man
10. Monologue
11. Baby What You Want Me To Do
12. (Surrender) Runaway
13. Are You Lonesome Tonight?
14. Yesterday / Hey Jude
15. Introductions (Happy Birthday James Burton)
16. In The Ghetto
17. Suspicious Minds
18. What'd I Say
19. Can't Help Falling In Love
its the surrender b4 runaway added too i want to hear! either way 'brand new' cannot be bad from THIS Season! and besides maybe what d'say sounds 'great' from the Dinner Show as well??? :roll:

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:53 am

I wasn't at all looking forward to this disc, or it's release, until I read this thread.

elvis presley scrapbook wrote:
Mastered by Vic Anesini at Sony Studios NYC and disc two mixed by Ray Bardini at Electric lady studios, assistant engineer Dror Mohar.

Nice to hear drum and percussion fairly central with the lead vocal, the backing vocals to the left and J. Burton over on the right where he should be. (IMO)

This is what I am now getting excited about :!: :P :P :P

Finally, a new team of ears, eyes and fingers at the mixing board on a mainstream BMG Elvis Presley cd in a L-O-N-G time ...

Let's just hope it lives up to (our) expectations :!:

Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:26 am

minkahed wrote:I wasn't at all looking forward to this disc, or it's release, until I read this thread.

My thoughts exactly!!

Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:20 pm

Sounds great to my ears but will try and answer more question later, having to work today so a quick post guys and catch you later.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:20 pm

YDKM wrote:i looked at the Japan site and was MOST INTERESTED that their track-listing contains MORE details!:-
Disc 2
(Aug.21,1969, Dinner Show)
2 12. (Surrender) Runaway
its the surrender b4 runaway added too i want to hear! either way

Acc. to Tunzi Rec. Sess. 3 this Surrender excerpt was sung during the MS.
Very unlikely that he did it on both shows.
If someone is please able to compare the tracks on The Legend Lives on which are from the MS with the matching titles on the new set we know for sure which show it is....the 69 dates are a total mess BTW..