All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:34 pm

I'm thinking that there is no mention of a dinner or midnight show because it is some of both. I've had that feeling from the start.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:38 pm

removed by user
Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:41 pm

Assuming that Tunzi has audience tapes (or soundboard bootleg etc) and is therefore not in error when he published his setlists, this would then appear to be an edited composite of 2 shows, as Robt suggested.

Maybe everything up to Runaway is from the Dinner Show, and everything subsequent (including Surrender) is from the Midnight Show, with Words edited out?

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:40 pm

Rob wrote:I'm thinking that there is no mention of a dinner or midnight show because it is some of both. I've had that feeling from the start.

The back of the CD mentions this is "the first concert recorded by RCA records' mobile unit during Elvis's triumphant return to Las Vegas and features the fantastic band that was later named the TCB (Taking Care Of Business) band by Elvis." No doubt it has to be the dinner show, that's the first show they recorded.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:46 pm

Sorting through all of this, it's still unclear to me: Has someone confirmed that the And the Legend Lives On material is now reissued officially on this disc? My copy has shipped from the UK -- and I should have a copy of the Walmart version on its way here soon, but in the meantime ???

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:32 pm

elvissessions.com wrote: My copy has shipped from the UK -- and I should have a copy of the Walmart version on its way here soon, but in the meantime ???

Can anyone clear up if there is any difference between the UK release and the Walmart version if any?
Scott

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:09 pm

Hey friends,

The detective work about the 1969 newie has been interesting?

Why no "Words"!? Perhaps that there was an issue re: the copyright and the
owners of the song either wanted an awful lot of money for the
licencing or they plain refused to have it licensed.

Can anyone tell me now what are the versions of "Memories" and
"Are You Lonesome Tonight" are like? No fooling around by Elvis
with the words i hope!

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:53 pm

[quote]I'm quite all right with that if we get the following from the midnight show (or whatever damn show it is):

Surrender (part)/Are You Lonesome Tonight
Elvis talks about his career
Yesterday/Hey Jude
Introductions/Happy Birthday to James Burton
In the Ghetto
Suspicious Minds
What'd I Say
Can't Help Falling in Love

That will give us the Collectors Gold material AND the bootleg And the Legend Lives On material cleaned up and in context.

Elvissessions.com you will be happy to know that the CD contains all that material :-)

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:10 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:Assuming that Tunzi has audience tapes (or soundboard bootleg etc) and is therefore not in error when he published his setlists, this would then appear to be an edited composite of 2 shows, as Robt suggested.

Even if Tunzi has the tapes, there's no guarantee he wouldn't be in error. When you're working with so many recordings, or lists thereof, there's bound to be a mixup or two...

Axe

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:28 am

Rob wrote:I'm thinking that there is no mention of a dinner or midnight show because it is some of both. I've had that feeling from the start.

Why do they always give us what we want but then prevent us from having a full show?

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:35 am

To confuse things even further, is it possible that Jorgensen and Tunzi were both wrong when they published that the "Happy B-Day" and "Surrender" snippet were from the midnight show?

In that case, the new CD could be the dinner show (sans Words due to a tape change)?

Just another possibility. Maybe someone has Ernst's email and can ask him what show this is, and if anything was edited out.
Last edited by monkboughtlunch on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:38 am

PS: What was the name of this release with the new 1969 material on it?

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:39 am

Viva Las Vegas

Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:07 am

I don't have this CD yet, but have been sent samples to compare with what has been released already. I'm not sure if the samples I've been sent are complete, but if they are then 'Viva Las Vegas' is edited heavily.

This is what I've been able to determine from the samples and comparing them to other releases containing these same tracks, and it's not good:-

August 21 Dinner Show
Blue Suede Shoes
I Got A Woman
All Shook Up
Love Me Tender
Jailhouse Rock / Don't Be Cruel
Heartbreak Hotel
Hound Dog
Memories
Mystery Train / Tiger Man
Monologue
Baby What You Want Me To Do

August 21 Midnight Show
Surrender - Part (Same as on 'Collectors Gold')
Runaway (Edited)
Are You Lonesome Tonight? (Edited)
Yesterday (Edited - Only 44 seconds - Found Complete, apart from the missing Intro, on "The Legend Lives On")
Hey Jude (Edited - Only 30 seconds - Found Complete on "The Legend Lives On")
Introductions / Happy Birthday James Burton (Edited - Although more complete than on 'Collectors Gold' it is not as complete as "The Legend Lives On")
In The Ghetto (Edited - Only 30 seconds - Found Complete on "The Legend Lives On")
Suspicious Minds (Edited - Only 1 minute - Found Complete on "The Legend Lives On")
What'd I Say (Edited - Only 46 seconds - Found Complete on "The Legend Lives On")
Can't Help Falling In Love (Edited - Only 26 seconds - Found Complete on "The Legend Lives On")

Like I said - Until I can confirm the samples from 'Viva Las Vegas' are complete, please don't take the 'Edited' remark as gospel! :wink:

Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:20 am

Hi Keith

Thanks - it appears the evidence is weighing heavily in favor of a dinner show / midnight show composite with the cut occuring somewhere in the vicinity of "Runaway."

But the question now for the producer of this Viva Las Vegas disc is: why not just give us a complete show? Why cut it up? Why the apparent obsfucation by the producer on the packaging? Don't they mention this is the "first show" recorded by RCA? Clearly this is fudging a bit, if they drew from 2 separate shows.
Last edited by monkboughtlunch on Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:24 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:Hi Keith

Thanks - it appears the evidence is weighing heavily in favor of a dinner show / midnight show composite with the cut occuring somewhere in the vicinity of "Runaway."

But the question now for the producer of this Viva Las Vegas disc is: why not just give us a complete show? Why cut it up?

If you listen to the same songs on "The Legend Lives On" there is a lot of overload on Elvis' mic' - maybe this is the reason they are edited on 'Viva Las Vegas'.

Oh, and by the way - Ernst is saying nothing about this release, and the date / shows - I've asked him!

Also to set the record straight - Ernst has had nothing to do with this release apart from being Producer and Historian :wink:
Last edited by Keith F on Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:28 am

Keith F wrote:
monkboughtlunch wrote:Hi Keith

But the question now for the producer of this Viva Las Vegas disc is: why not just give us a complete show? Why cut it up?

If you listen to the same songs on "The Legend Lives On" there is a lot of overload on Elvis' mic' - maybe this is the reason they are edited on 'Viva Las Vegas'.

Oh, and by the way - Ernst is saying nothing about this release, and the date / shows - I've asked him! :wink:

Why is Ernst not commenting? Strange.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:18 am

So Ernst is saying "nothin" about the release?!

Interesting?!

What about calling Tunzi then (according to Daryl, Joseph may have copies ofthe original DS/MS in his private collection) and find out from him
whether some of the tracks that may have been edited
was due to "overload" flaws?

Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:25 am

Good gravy! Surely somebody out there can put our minds at ease with regard to the editing issue Keith raises.

Somebody with a copy please confirm/deny this one quickly.

I'm tryin' to enjoy my weekend here, and this whole thing is driving me nuts!

Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:34 am

Well whatabout elvispresleyscrapbooks, the one who started this thread !

Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:09 am

Robt wrote:So Ernst is saying "nothin" about the release?!

Interesting?!

Yes it is. Pretty amazing that potential consumers would simply like clarification on a recording date... :roll: Gotta love BMG and the EP mainstream catalogue.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:03 am

Ahh Midnightx,

My friend, pleased to see you have come on this thread.

Have you been noting the posts closely from other FECC'rs?

As for me being a potential customer !? NO WAY JOSE !!!

Not anymore as it seems (as Keith alluded to earlier) certain tracks has been edited on this escape, err release.

Ohh the shame of it when they could've handpicked an unissued Aug 1970
multitracked concert instead!!!

Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:40 am

Robt wrote:Ahh Midnightx,

My friend, pleased to see you have come on this thread.

Have you been noting the posts closely from other FECC'rs?

As for me being a potential customer !? NO WAY JOSE !!!

Not anymore as it seems (as Keith alluded to earlier) certain tracks has been edited on this escape, err release.

Ohh the shame of it when they could've handpicked an unissued Aug 1970
multitracked concert instead!!!

If the show is indeed edited, that is a tragedy. Of course if it is true, no explanation will be given. Silence on almost all issues is now BMG/Sony's position on Elvis Presley releases. How freakin' bizarre. And who is to say that if an August 1970 show was issued, it wouldn't be edited as well?

Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:46 am

hey Midnightx,

It depends on WHAT they've edited out and for whatever reasons.

For example, overloads, technical flaws, imperfectly recorded (don't forget that these were amongst the first shows ever multitracked), etc. Given these circumstances, one
can understand this practice. It's too bad EJ doesn't want to communicate
with us anymore!
Last edited by Robt on Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:59 am

If we examine the 1969 Vegas recording release history, they have been quite liberal in releasing them piecemeal.

The original intent was to cobble the best performances from the shows into the In Person Lp. So the edited nature of that release is understandable.

But since then:

1. EAP Silver Box (1980) - a few tracks from the engagement included here
2. Collector's Gold (1991) Ernst attempts to provide a "best of the rest" disc that covers songs recorded during the first Vegas season but which were not on the "In Person" CD. Cobbled from many different shows.
3. Platinum (1997) - a few tracks included here
4. Live in Las Vegas (2001) - A complete show, but monologue is edited out and placed after the show ends
5. Today Tomorrow & Forever (2002) - again, a handful of disemboweled tracks, similar to Platinum
6. Elvis At The International (FTD 2003) - The first complete unbutchered show from the 69 engagement--34 years after the fact! Some questionable mixing decisions here by Ferrante. For example he mixes out the electronic piano fills in Tiger Man beginning at 1:39 into the track. The superb extended version of What'd I say is poorly mixed, with Burton's lead guitar at times overshadowed by the horns during his extended solo. Massive digital reverb is overlaid on the mix by Lene Reidel. Thin, flimsy sound. Poor eq.
7. All Shook Up (FTD 2005) The second complete unbutchered show. Another poor mastering job by Reidel, with an extremely thin, cardboard like sound. Fortunately, no digital reverb this time. Also, the piano/keyboard is audible, which is a plus.
8. Writing For The King (FTD 2006) - A large portion of a single 69 show is the foundation for the cd, but missing some tracks at the expense of including songs from different years in Vegas. I don't have this, so I can't comment on the sound.
9. Viva Las Vegas - disc 2 (Sony 2007) - finally what appears from the sound samples to be a brilliant mix/master by Bardini and Anesini. However, the disc appears to be an edited composite of the Aug. 21 DS and MS
Last edited by monkboughtlunch on Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.