All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Ernst J

Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:35 pm

What will Ernst be remembered for? i think he as done great for elvis's legacy the ftd label has made me more of a fan than ever before.. will Ernst go down in history for is outstanding work ?

JESS W

Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:04 pm

Of course. Let's hope we have no reason to miss him when he's gone for a long, long time.

Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:35 pm

Agree Ernst should go down in history for the oustanding work he is doing
maybe if it was not for the ftd label alot of people whould have lost intrest along time ago but with all the new cd release's its hard to believe Elvis left us all those years ago

jess

Re: Ernst J

Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:19 am

jess wade wrote:What will Ernst be remembered for?

Ernst has managed to reassess and reorganize the Presley canon in such a fashion that anyone who wants to know why late 20th century interest in Elvis significantly increased, Jørgensen's releases under the BMG and FTD imprint will be given their undeniable due. His humour, intelligence and insight have been vital to the many successes of the past twenty years.

Keep on rockin', Ernst!

Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:53 am

Hello,

Doc wrote:

Ernst has managed to reassess and reorganize the Presley canon in such a fashion that anyone who wants to know why late 20th century interest in Elvis significantly increased, Jørgensen's releases under the BMG and FTD imprint will be given their undeniable due. His humour, intelligence and insight have been vital to the many successes of the past twenty years.


While Ernst had done some great projects (50's box, 60's I, IFDWLC, AG, Platinum, and Today, Tomorrow And Forever), I would hardly say that the Elvis Presley canon is reorganized. If anything, it's a sheer mess. Granted, Ernst (or to be correct BMG aka Sony/BMG) has released a volume of previously unheard material. But to be fair, the catalog is in shambles. How many of Elvis' original albums can be found in stores as they were originally presented while Elvis was living. Only a handful at this moment and most of them are the recent Camden reissues, which Ernst is not overseeing, rather the Custom Marketing Department of Sony/BMG. Also for every commercial success that Ernst has had he's had an equal number of flops:

Command Performances: The Essential 60's Masters II - Again, Ernst (and BMG) shortchanged Elvis' movie soundtracks from the '60s down to a 2 CD set.

Walk A Mile In My Shoes: The Essential 70's Masters - Ernst (and BMG) shortchange Elvis' studio output in the '70s, leaving us with only four discs of the studio recordings and a disc of several rehashed live recordings.

That's The Way It Is Special Edition (3 CD Set) - mentioned many of the errors in previous thread (crappy sound on "Oh Happy Day, etc.; omission of studio versions (single versions) of "I've Lost You" and "Patch It Up"; inclusion of "Rags To Riches" despite being recorded a month after the film wrapped.

Essential Elvis Volumes 5 and 6 - On volume 5, too many song snippets lapped over the beginning of the actual track (example: Lovin' Arms)

Essential 6 suffered due to the fact that it lacked many outtakes from the hits from this era 1960-1964.

Artist Of The Century - cheap packaging, lousy artwork and poor song selection ("Memphis, Tennessee" and Ernst (BMG) again shortchanged Elvis in the '70s).

Live In Las Vegas (4 CD boxset) - way too much song duplication, use of the Feb. '70/'72 masters, omits the '71, '73 and '76 Las Vegas engagements altogether. Crappy sound on the '69 show and moves the monologue to the end of the CD instead of leaving it as it was.

Close Up - tried miserably to duplicate the success of "Today, Tomorrow And Forever", even using the same artwork template. The San Antonio show was great, but I felt like I was listening to 4 FTDs. BTW, who wants to listen to a disc of outtakes made up strictly from "G.I. Blues", "Flaming Star", "Wild In The Country" and "Blue Hawaii". B-O-R-I-N-G!!!

Second To None - a cheap knockoff with crappy cover art to capitalize on the success of Bendeth's 30 #1 Hits. Poor song selection ("I Forgot To Remember To Forget" isn't going to cut it with the general public). BTW, where's "Blue Christmas", a song that is well known and that still gets considerable radio airplay during the holidays by both oldies and country radio stations.

Elvis At Sun - easily surpassed by Pirzada's MRS Volumes 1 & 2.

The genre releases (Inspirational, Rock, R&B, Live, Country, Movies) - why don't we just call these what they are: Elvis For Dummies Volumes 1 through 6 - the audio book collection

The Essential Elvis Presley (released at the beginning of this year) - poor song selection (I would hardly consider the original 1968 single "A Little Less Conversation" essential. The 2002 remix definitely, but not the "Live A Little, Love A Little" version.

Even some of Ernst's "success" could be questioned, for example: "Platinum: A Life In Music" features almost a quarter of it's material as previously released. Edited versions of "Tiger Man" and several of the July, 1970 rehearsals, use of the home recording of "After Loving You" (changes the lyric to "turd") when better home recordings were available ("Fools Rush In", "It's A Sin To Tell A Lie", "If I Loved You"). The thing that always bothered me was that Ernst (BMG) could have followed up the superb alternate take of "You'll Never Walk Alone" with the home recording of "If I Loved You", another song from the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical "Carousel". To me, that would seem like a no-brainer idea. Something else that bothered me about this boxset was the creation of the "Bad Nauheim Medley". To me that was utter garbage. I don't know which was worse, the "Bad Nauheim Medley" or the "I Found My Thrill Medley" featured on a FTD awhile back. Either way, both of them were crap.

Daryl
Last edited by Daryl on Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:13 pm

Daryl wrote:Elvis At Sun - easily surpassed by Pirzada's MRS Volumes 1 & 2.


That's a good one.

Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:28 pm

Is anyone else finding Daryl's negativity on the Forum annoying and tiresome or is it just Me?

Hello,
Daryl..

All the Albums You listed.....I have them...and wouldn't swap them for love nor money. I think you would be hard pushed to find any other Artist's back Catalogue looked after as well as Ernst has looked after Elvis'.

I sometimes wonder why you are here Daryl really I do.

Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:40 pm

Hello,

Little Darlin' wrote:

Is anyone else finding Daryl's negativity on the Forum annoying and tiresome or is it just Me?


You call it negativity; I call it a honest appraisal of Ernst's work.

Daryl

Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:54 pm

On a few points I agree with Daryl, but we can't blame Ernst for the fact that Elvis himself did record some terrible songs...gave some terrible Live shows in the seventies... thought about that ?

Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:24 pm

Hello,

While I agree with you Ton Bruins that we shouldn't blame Ernst for some of the shows that Elvis did, I do think Ernst should be a little more selective in his choices as to what to put out. For example. The "Closing Night" FTD from September, 1973 is in my honest opinion an embarrassment and probably never should have been released. The comments that Elvis made on that FTD do not present Elvis in a positive manner whatsoever. There are far better shows to release, like say the closing night from February 1970 or for that matter the opening night from that very same engagement. I'm still waiting for him to release the live version of "True Love Travels On A Gravel Road" officially on FTD.

Daryl

Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:35 pm

Daryl wrote:Hello,

While I agree with you Ton Bruins that we shouldn't blame Ernst for some of the shows that Elvis did, I do think Ernst should be a little more selective in his choices as to what to put out. For example. The "Closing Night" FTD from September, 1973 is in my honest opinion an embarrassment and probably never should have been released. The comments that Elvis made on that FTD do not present Elvis in a positive manner whatsoever. There are far better shows to release, like say the closing night from February 1970 or for that matter the opening night from that very same engagement. I'm still waiting for him to release the live version of "True Love Travels On A Gravel Road" officially on FTD.

Daryl



So in your opinion it would´ve showed a better selectiveness to release the closing show from Feb. ´70 over the Sept. ´73 show? Do you feel the Feb. ´70 show would be the right one to showcase the July/August 1973 Las Vegas season? :lol:

I do agree on many of the other points though Daryl.


Sincerely MB280E

Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:47 pm

hey Daryl,

Thank you for your detailed negative review of the EJ era!

Now let's see if you can, or try to, write a piece that reflects what EJ actually
achieved since 1985! As an example, state some alternate tracks and
concerts that
EJ has put out that are your highlights?

Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:52 pm

Robt wrote:hey Daryl,

Thank you for your detailed negative review of the EJ era!

Now let's see if you can, or try to, write a piece that reflects what EJ actually
achieved since 1985! As an example, state some alternate tracks and
concerts that
EJ has put out that are your highlights?



Well, the only highlight (for some on this board that is) seems to be locked away in the vaults...EIC...ring a bell Robt?


Sincerely MB280E

Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:00 pm

my friend,

As far as i'm concerned, EIC or more to the point, the complete RAPID CITY concert
should be released as part of the ftd series. Hard to see when they'll do it as
the 30th anniversary has just passed.

Maybe either 2012 or 2017. I just hope i'm still around.

What is your view on EIC?

Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:43 pm

My view on EIC is that they should leave all the filmmaterial alone until they have decided they´ll give it a proper go. The original broadcast was garbage IMO. If and when they are going to make an in-depth and seriously researched documentary on Elvis Presley they should use part of it to showcase both the tragedy and the glimpses og great artistry by using the "highlights" of the material. (Trying To Get To You, Unchained Melody, Hurt and possibly a few others...My Way perhaps). The Rapid City concert should be released on cd in complete form on the FTD label. That´s my view.


Sincerely MB280E

Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:51 pm

ahhh so then we are in agreement re an audio only of the complete
Rapid City show?

One thing though: the thirteeth anniversary of it has just gone by.
Does it make you wonder that maybe they'll never acknowledge
this era, not ever? I know that i do!!!
Last edited by Robt on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:21 pm

Hello,

You asked for my personal highlights of the EJ era, so here goes:

Essential Elvis Volumes 1-4

One of my favorite tracks is "It's Only Love" from volume 4. Personally, I enjoy tracks where you can hear Elvis rehearsing prior to the alternate take. Other examples of this that I enjoy include "There's A Honky Tonk Angel" from Essential Elvis Volume 5 and "Suspicious Minds" from "Memphis Sessions"

The Jungle Room Sessions - This release put a whole new spin on these sessions. Need I say more.

50's boxset- landmark release though I personally would have included a handful of the home recordings made in Germany (1959).

60's boxset - another landmark release though I prefer the original mix to "My Little Friend" and I would have included the reprise of "Witchcraft/Love Me Tender" as found on the Capitol CD release of a few years ago.

Today, Tomorrow And Forever boxset - probably my favorite Jorgensen release. In particular I love the third disc from this set. The alternates of "Love Letters", "Indescribably Blue", "You Don't Know Me" as well as the stereo master of "Memories" at last! The alternate take of "Stay Away" is killer too.

Amazing Grace - the best Elvis gospel set done; highlights for me are "Where No One Stands Alone", "Somebody Bigger Than You And I" (this one is probably my favorite gospel song Elvis did due to the fact that at the end of the song where Elvis sings the line "weary", you literally get the feeling that the man is in fact weary, which sends chills up my spine.), "You'll Never Walk Alone", and "Reach Out To Jesus." There should be no need for any other gospel set on the market after this one.

If Every Day Was Like Christmas - best Elvis Christmas CD, no need for any other really. I would have included the complete "Merry Christmas Baby" found on the "Memories Of Christmas" CD from a few years earlier.

Heart And Soul - the best love songs collection ever done. Do we really need any more?

Individual tracks I enjoy

Mystery Train/Tiger Man - Collector's Gold - To my ears, the best version ever offically released.

You Don't Have To Say You Love Me - TTWII 3rd Disc live version - this track is also found on the FTD "One Night In Vegas". This to me is the best performance of this song I've heard. I love the enthusiasm that Elvis puts into it.

Danny Boy - from Tucson '76 - this is a real gem. Didn't care much for the dialogue that preceded it though. Sounded as if Elvis had a case of stuttering.

America The Beautiful - from Rockin' Across Texas - By far the best officially released version of this song.

My Boy - from Big Boss Man FTD - You can really tell that Elvis was trying his damndest to impress Barbara Streisand, who was in the audience.

Help Me Make It Through The Night - from Dinner At Eight FTD - I really love this version with the orchestra more up front.

Those are just a few of the things that I enjoy off the top of my head. I'll try to think of others.

Daryl

Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:28 pm

hey Daryl,
Yes i agree with most of that but aren't you forgetting COLLECTORS
GOLD?

Tis the best release. It's also good to see you being positive for once!

Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:15 pm

Ernst J. found the EP catalog a mess...unmessed it.... and then messed it up again. That goes for Sony/BMG if Ernst J. is not responsible.

Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:55 pm

Daryl wrote:Hello,

You asked for my personal highlights of the EJ era, so here goes:

Essential Elvis Volumes 1-4

One of my favorite tracks is "It's Only Love" from volume 4. Personally, I enjoy tracks where you can hear Elvis rehearsing prior to the alternate take. Other examples of this that I enjoy include "There's A Honky Tonk Angel" from Essential Elvis Volume 5 and "Suspicious Minds" from "Memphis Sessions"

The Jungle Room Sessions - This release put a whole new spin on these sessions. Need I say more.

50's boxset- landmark release though I personally would have included a handful of the home recordings made in Germany (1959).

60's boxset - another landmark release though I prefer the original mix to "My Little Friend" and I would have included the reprise of "Witchcraft/Love Me Tender" as found on the Capitol CD release of a few years ago.

Today, Tomorrow And Forever boxset - probably my favorite Jorgensen release. In particular I love the third disc from this set. The alternates of "Love Letters", "Indescribably Blue", "You Don't Know Me" as well as the stereo master of "Memories" at last! The alternate take of "Stay Away" is killer too.

Amazing Grace - the best Elvis gospel set done; highlights for me are "Where No One Stands Alone", "Somebody Bigger Than You And I" (this one is probably my favorite gospel song Elvis did due to the fact that at the end of the song where Elvis sings the line "weary", you literally get the feeling that the man is in fact weary, which sends chills up my spine.), "You'll Never Walk Alone", and "Reach Out To Jesus." There should be no need for any other gospel set on the market after this one.

If Every Day Was Like Christmas - best Elvis Christmas CD, no need for any other really. I would have included the complete "Merry Christmas Baby" found on the "Memories Of Christmas" CD from a few years earlier.

Heart And Soul - the best love songs collection ever done. Do we really need any more?

Individual tracks I enjoy

Mystery Train/Tiger Man - Collector's Gold - To my ears, the best version ever offically released.

You Don't Have To Say You Love Me - TTWII 3rd Disc live version - this track is also found on the FTD "One Night In Vegas". This to me is the best performance of this song I've heard. I love the enthusiasm that Elvis puts into it.

Danny Boy - from Tucson '76 - this is a real gem. Didn't care much for the dialogue that preceded it though. Sounded as if Elvis had a case of stuttering.

America The Beautiful - from Rockin' Across Texas - By far the best officially released version of this song.

My Boy - from Big Boss Man FTD - You can really tell that Elvis was trying his damndest to impress Barbara Streisand, who was in the audience.

Help Me Make It Through The Night - from Dinner At Eight FTD - I really love this version with the orchestra more up front.

Those are just a few of the things that I enjoy off the top of my head. I'll try to think of others.

Daryl



I can agree with your choices here..especially 'There's a Honky Tonk Angel" and "Danny Boy" from Tuscon...I really like to add "For 'Ol Times Sake" from Essential Elvis, vol. 5 or from the new FTD release "Raised On Rock" (take 4)...I also like "Memories" and "You Never Walk Alone" as you mentioned...The September 1973 closing night show I like because it's something special with an Elvis in a very special mood to say the least..after that show he should have leave Vegas and never turn back and get rid of col. Parker...of course he didn't...
The real thing I am waiting for is a DVD from Elvis On Tour (sound 5.1) and Elvis In Concert (sound 5.1). Will it ever will be released ? And of course just like you I am sometimes critical about Erns J. and his choices, so I don't blame you...

Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:17 pm

In my eyes Ernst and Ger Rijff are the people who kept me interested in Elvis during the 80s. It certainly wasn't RCA.

I don't always like what's been released and that's fine with me. I simply don't buy what I don't like.

Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:37 pm

KempoDick wrote:In my eyes Ernst and Ger Rijff are the people who kept me interested in Elvis during the 80s. It certainly wasn't RCA.

I don't always like what's been released and that's fine with me. I simply don't buy what I don't like.


Kempo, you are absolutely right. I think we as fans should be very happy to have a label as FTD, I am thankfull for that. That doesn't mean we can't be critical about Elvis or Ernst. I skipp cd's now and then, even if it's a FTD release. I also simply buy what I like and don't buy what I don't like; simple as that...

Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:39 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:
KempoDick wrote:In my eyes Ernst and Ger Rijff are the people who kept me interested in Elvis during the 80s. It certainly wasn't RCA.

I don't always like what's been released and that's fine with me. I simply don't buy what I don't like.


Kempo, you are absolutely right. I think we as fans should be very happy to have a label as FTD, I am thankfull for that. That doesn't mean we can't be critical about Elvis or Ernst. I skipp cd's now and then, even if it's a FTD release. I also simply buy what I like and don't buy what I don't like; simple as that...



Didn't have heard about Ger Rijff in a long time by the way...

Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:40 pm

Daryl wrote:While Ernst had done some great projects (50's box, 60's I, IFDWLC, AG, Platinum, and Today, Tomorrow And Forever), I would hardly say that the Elvis Presley canon is reorganized. If anything, it's a sheer mess. Granted, Ernst (or to be correct BMG aka Sony/BMG) has released a volume of previously unheard material. But to be fair, the catalog is in shambles. How many of Elvis' original albums can be found in stores as they were originally presented while Elvis was living. Only a handful at this moment and most of them are the recent Camden reissues, which Ernst is not overseeing, rather the Custom Marketing Department of Sony/BMG.

I really don't think you can blame Ernst for this; and don't forget he is currently busy making the original EP albums available in the FTD Classic albums series. The catalogue was a mess when Ernst started cleaning it up, but in the end it's always "the suits" at BMG who decide which albums are to released.

Also for every commercial success that Ernst has had he's had an equal number of flops:

Command Performances: The Essential 60's Masters II - Again, Ernst (and BMG) shortchanged Elvis' movie soundtracks from the '60s down to a 2 CD set.

Agreed.

Walk A Mile In My Shoes: The Essential 70's Masters - Ernst (and BMG) shortchange Elvis' studio output in the '70s, leaving us with only four discs of the studio recordings and a disc of several rehashed live recordings.

It was clear from the start of the project it could only be five discs. Ernst wanted to include live recordings, and I for one think he was absolutely right about that. And the selection is excellent, the only track I miss on this set is "Early Morning Rain", and, really, I can live with that. The live disc works great, too.

That's The Way It Is Special Edition (3 CD Set) - mentioned many of the errors in previous thread (crappy sound on "Oh Happy Day, etc.; omission of studio versions (single versions) of "I've Lost You" and "Patch It Up"; inclusion of "Rags To Riches" despite being recorded a month after the film wrapped.

Agreed. Could have been better. But the live disc is the best we've ever gotten.

Essential Elvis Volumes 5 and 6 - On volume 5, too many song snippets lapped over the beginning of the actual track (example: Lovin' Arms)

Essential 6 suffered due to the fact that it lacked many outtakes from the hits from this era 1960-1964.

I absolutely love both discs, they are among my favourite Elvis CDs ever. And while Ernst might have played around a little with the intros/snippets the result is a very enjoyable album.

Artist Of The Century - cheap packaging, lousy artwork and poor song selection ("Memphis, Tennessee" and Ernst (BMG) again shortchanged Elvis in the '70s).

Poor song selection? Oh, boy. What about the best compilation ever?!

Live In Las Vegas (4 CD boxset) - way too much song duplication, use of the Feb. '70/'72 masters, omits the '71, '73 and '76 Las Vegas engagements altogether. Crappy sound on the '69 show and moves the monologue to the end of the CD instead of leaving it as it was.

Agreed, this set was a major disappointment. But at least, again we got a fantastic August '70 show. The 70/72 disc was a joke, though...

Close Up - tried miserably to duplicate the success of "Today, Tomorrow And Forever", even using the same artwork template. The San Antonio show was great, but I felt like I was listening to 4 FTDs. BTW, who wants to listen to a disc of outtakes made up strictly from "G.I. Blues", "Flaming Star", "Wild In The Country" and "Blue Hawaii". B-O-R-I-N-G!!!

Agreed. But part of the problem was the lack of exciting unreleased material. This probably should have been released as four FTD's instead!

Second To None - a cheap knockoff with crappy cover art to capitalize on the success of Bendeth's 30 #1 Hits. Poor song selection ("I Forgot To Remember To Forget" isn't going to cut it with the general public). BTW, where's "Blue Christmas", a song that is well known and that still gets considerable radio airplay during the holidays by both oldies and country radio stations.

Agreed.

Elvis At Sun - easily surpassed by Pirzada's MRS Volumes 1 & 2.

You can't be serious!!!

Even some of Ernst's "success" could be questioned, for example: "Platinum: A Life In Music" features almost a quarter of it's material as previously released.

But wasn't that the whole point? To mix hits with unreleased material to create an alternative "best of Elvis"?! A box set that would appeal to casual fans as well as collectors...

Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:01 pm

Hav-A-Tampa - I agree with some of your analysis, in particular “Artist of the Century”:

"Artist of the Century", featuring fan/music critic selected material has yet to be surpassed as a career retrospective based on song selection alone, including such gems as "Tomorrow Is A Long Time", "Memphis, Tennessee", and "Stranger In My Own Home Town", material rarely if ever seen on Elvis best of compilations. Indeed the spread of material was genius with 1 disc dedicated to Elvis' seminal 50s output including the best sides of the five Sun singles, disc 2 dedicated to the 1960-1968 period taking us through the Nashville/movie years up to the ’68 Special sitdown show with an raw Elvis delivering a fantastic “Tiger Man”, another gem. And finally alas a whole third disc covering the later period Elvis from "If I Can Dream", the first Elvis single to feature this then modern recording style production through to "For The Heart" in 1976. Sure, there are odd numbers missing that could have been swapped out, but you cannot please everyone with this type of release and as an all round production, in its category this set has yet to be beaten.
Last edited by Matthew on Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.