All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Yes it is a NEW 1969 show!

Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:51 pm

Just to confirm that the show on disc two is a new 69 show.

I just picked up a copy of VIVA LAS VEGAS and I'm listening to I GOT A WOMAN as I type this post.

Mastered by Vic Anesini at Sony Studios NYC and disc two mixed by Ray Bardini at Electric lady studios, assistant engineer Dror Mohar.

Nice to hear drum and percussion fairly central with the lead vocal, the backing vocals to the left and J. Burton over on the right where he should be. (IMO)

From the back of the CD case:
"DISC 2 Previously unreleased concert, recorded at The International Hotel in Las Vegas, August 21, 1969. This was the first concert recorded by RCA records' mobile unit during Elvis's triumphant return to Las Vegas and features the fantastic band that was later named the TCB (Taking Care Of Business) band by Elvis.

I'm not sure about the colourised mike amd mike stands on the black and white pictures in the booklet though, it sort of distracts from the GREAT B&W images themselves.

Footnote: Elvis introduces the Tiplers from Crown Electric during his monolgue

Re: Yes it is a NEW 1969 show!

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:14 pm

elvis presley scrapbook wrote:This was the first concert recorded by RCA records' mobile unit during Elvis's triumphant return to Las Vegas.

Dinner or midnight show?

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:23 pm

Please give me a moment from the midnight show I could pin point and I'll let you know.

No MY BABE so I would say Dinner Show, but then no WORDS so who really knows?
Last edited by elvis presley scrapbook on Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:24 pm

Can you tell us where the copy you got was manufactured? In other words, is it from Europe, Australia, Japan, etc. In the U.S.A. it is supposed to be a 16 track single disc (although Wal Mart is marketing it with an 18 track bonus disc, which may be the concert you've mentioned).

Thanks

Mystery Train

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:28 pm

MADE IN THE EU but hang on a second I'm still listenening and Elvis has just sang HAPPY BIRTHDAY to James Burton and done the Tutt, Scheff joke............ then again it was the same day so maybe Elvis wasn't as spontanious as we first thought. Do I already have this show ? !

Might be taking it back for a refund !!!!!

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:34 pm

elvis presley scrapbook wrote:Please give me a moment from the midnight show I could pin point and I'll let you know.

Acc. to the book Day By Day it`s The MS.

Equipment was tested during the DS for taping the MS.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:40 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
elvis presley scrapbook wrote:Please give me a moment from the midnight show I could pin point and I'll let you know.

Acc. to the book Day By Day it`s The MS.

Equipment was tested during the DS for taping the MS.

Suspicious Minds is a lot slower than usual and part way through you can hear Elvis say "can't hear a god damn thing".

It could be the DS and here's why:

1. There's no MY BABE which was during the MS

2. There is MEMORIES which was during the DS

Then again wasn't WORDS at the DS?
Well it's not here but could it be listed wrong in the Tunzi book or has it been edited out for this release ?

What we need is someone who knows more about the concert era than myself.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's the DS because Felton Jarvis recorded only four short rehearsal exerpts to test the recording equipment before recording the 21st Aug 69 DS and I'm also going to say Tunzi is wrong about words or that BMG cut it for this release.

If the sleeve notes are to believed and logic is used it must be the DS, they don't make it easy for us do they ?
Last edited by elvis presley scrapbook on Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:46 pm

elvis presley scrapbook wrote:MADE IN THE EU but hang on a second I'm still listenening and Elvis has just sang HAPPY BIRTHDAY to James Burton and done the Tutt, Scheff joke............ then again it was the same day so maybe Elvis wasn't as spontanious as we first thought. Do I already have this show ? !

Might be taking it back for a refund !!!!!

Sounds like a few of these tunes were first released on the "The Legend Lives On" bootleg all those years ago...
And maybe some tracks on Collector's Gold later on?

Axe

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:50 pm

I do recognise some dialogue and tracks from collectors gold BUT they sound better here, and that's praise for SONY/BMG from me, nice work on the audio front.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:53 pm

Well it couldn't have been much worse than the mix on Collector's Gold!

Axe

Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:14 pm

Axeman wrote:Well it couldn't have been much worse than the mix on Collector's Gold!

Axe

amen brother

Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:17 pm

Axeman wrote:Sounds like a few of these tunes were first released on the "The Legend Lives On" bootleg all those years ago.

I had that one for many years. It was one of my first boot LP's. Ah, the memories. They're pressed between the pages of my mind.

Axeman wrote:Well it couldn't have been much worse than the mix on Collector's Gold.

It may be just me, but the worst sounding mix from a '69 show to me comes from the "All Shook Up" FTD. I wouldn't get rid of it for anything though.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:21 pm

And we all thought the cover was going to be black didn't we.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:20 pm

Rob wrote:It may be just me, but the worst sounding mix from a '69 show to me comes from the "All Shook Up" FTD. I wouldn't get rid of it for anything though.

It's just you.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:35 pm

Thanks for the heads up, EPS. But what about Disc 1 & The use of "Viva Las Vegas". Is it just the original track? Do they make it seem "live" with overdubbed applause?

TINML

Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:47 pm

KingOfTheJungle wrote:
Rob wrote:It may be just me, but the worst sounding mix from a '69 show to me comes from the "All Shook Up" FTD. I wouldn't get rid of it for anything though.

It's just you.

Told ya.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:52 pm

One should compare The Legend Lives On vinyl which has parts of the 21.8.69 MS with this one..especially Happy Birthday To J.Burton which was sung during the intros of the MS should be striking...

Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:05 pm

And of course the line in Yesterday..."I'm not half the stud I used to be"...

Axe

Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:11 pm

TINML wrote:Thanks for the heads up, EPS. But what about Disc 1 & The use of "Viva Las Vegas". Is it just the original track? Do they make it seem "live" with overdubbed applause?

TINML

It's the original track and I suppose as it's relating to the forthcoming Elvis in Vegas documentary that it will be used as an opener on that programme hence its inclusion here.

Ciscoking wrote:One should compare The Legend Lives On vinyl which has parts of the 21.8.69 MS with this one..especially Happy Birthday To J.Burton which was sung during the intros of the MS should be striking...

http://www.elvispresleyscrapbook.co.uk/stuff/birthday_james.wma

Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:14 pm

Axeman wrote:And of course the line in Yesterday..."I'm not half the stud I used to be"...

Axe

It's that version so it's MS then?

Have we had the complete show before and where?

If it's MS where is MY BABE or is Tunzi wrong about that?

Bleedin' eck, this is an official release so why couldn't they just put in the sleeve or notes DS or MS or are they selling on sharp practice?

Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:54 pm

Hello :)
He also used the line.."I`m not half the stud I used to be" in the august 23 MS(Elvis at the International) and the tracklist is almost the same...exept for Reconsider baby...could it be a mixed show or did he use that line more than once, are there any difference between the two versions?(21-23)
Elvisa
Last edited by elvisa on Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:55 pm

Rob wrote:
Axeman wrote:Sounds like a few of these tunes were first released on the "The Legend Lives On" bootleg all those years ago.

I had that one for many years. It was one of my first boot LP's. Ah, the memories. They're pressed between the pages of my mind.

You mean you got rid of it? One of the best bootlegs ever, and what about the cover art? Beautiful!

Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:58 pm

elvis presley scrapbook wrote:It's that version so it's MS then?

Bleedin' eck, this is an official release so why couldn't they just put in the sleeve or notes DS or MS or are they selling on sharp practice?

It was established on another thread that CD 2 is the August 21, 1969 MS. And this was the first full, multi-track recording from Las Vegas by Felton and the RCA crew.

About the last third of the set -- starting in the middle of the "Yesterday" - "Hey Jude" medley through to "Can't Help Falling In Love" -- was issued in 1977 on The Legend Lives On bootleg LP, an all-time classic.

Unfortunately, all the 1969 tracks ran too slowly. Still, I loved "What'd I Say," "Suspicious Minds" (his voice cracks at one point), and much of the commentary. It was the first time I ever heard that insane "Hey Jude" reprise -- straight out of the Tom Jones playbook, IMHO.

In 1990, Collector's Gold released part of the band introductions -- August 21 is Burton's birth date.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:59 pm

elvis presley scrapbook wrote:
Axeman wrote:And of course the line in Yesterday..."I'm not half the stud I used to be"...

Axe

It's that version so it's MS then?

I have not heard this new disc yet...I was referring to the "Legend Lives On" boot. That LP had, I believe the last half of the show...from "Yesterday" out.
The only track from this show that was on Collector's Gold (according to the liner notes) was the band introductions...
It's very possible for Tunzi (or anyone for that matter) to make a typo.
To have the show clearly labelled would be too simple!

Axe

Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:28 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:You mean you got rid of it?

I'd rather not talk about it.