All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:45 pm

The entire Nashville ’71 CD is a major highlight. A few comments, then:

"(That’s What You Get) For Lovin’ Me" appears to be the same take as featured on Today, Tomorrow & Forever. I haven’t compared closely yet, but it sure sounds like it.

The outtakes sound really fresh and punchy. Elvis sings snippets from "The First Noel" after "Johnny B. Goode" (just a few seconds of the Chuck Berry classic survives, as the tape machine was turned on waaaay too late), only Elvis redubs it "Leon".

I love it when Elvis ends "It’s Only Love" singing "It’s only sex."

Per

Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:49 pm

JeroenNL wrote:Please tell us the highlights so far!! :D

Sad there are no out takes from Raised On Rock. Is the tape realy lost?

Also: there was a nice version of 'Sweet Angeline' on the bootleg 'Songs To Sing'. That sounds undubbed, don't no if it is an alternate. But it would have fitted nice on this release.

Very anxious to get my hands on these releases! 8)

For me there are some nice versions of I miss you and some of the rough mixes are extended versions that last from 10-25 sec longer than the masters.Its different now is in parts of the song quite different from 70s box version.
I Sing All kinds has many songs that we get outtakes for the first time.....like im leavin`,early morning rain,padre just to name a few.
Johnny be goode part is excatly the same as on Let It Roll boot.
Not a big fan of the 71 christmas Lp/cd (except merry christmas baby)
track) but track 20 and 22 was really good.
Also there is a lot of bad language on ROR release,it surprizes me each time I hear curse words on a official release :)

Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:37 pm

thekingisalive wrote:The entire Nashville ’71 CD is a major highlight. A few comments, then:

"(That’s What You Get) For Lovin’ Me" appears to be the same take as featured on Today, Tomorrow & Forever. I haven’t compared closely yet, but it sure sounds like it.

Per

It is the same take that was on Today, Tomorrow & Forever.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:19 am

Bilko wrote:
thekingisalive wrote:The entire Nashville ’71 CD is a major highlight. A few comments, then:

Per

It is the same take that was on Today, Tomorrow & Forever.

yeah,I read in a interview with Ernst that this 71 compilation disc was ready for release 5-6 years ago but it didnt happen until now....anyway
T,T&F box set was released in between with this Outtake so it should have been replaced now.
Still 22 out of 23 tracks previously unreleased is a good deal for us :)

Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:46 am

:o This is truly Phenominal 'NEWS' for weeks i had been fearful that 'Raised on Rock' might dissapoint and that was why the track-listing was NOT released! Now all i could do today was order this superb FTD Immediately and praise up the really COMPLETE releases we have now had from these July and September 1973 sessions.Of cource with the song 'Just a Little Bit' with only take 2 the master and take 1 a false start we couldn't get any outakes of that and Ernst said in an interview YEARS ago about how he had no outakes of 'Raised on Rock' thus on this release we have PLENTY to get excited about! many outakes here we already had on 'made in memphis' + 'Essential Elvis Vol 5' but then they HAD to be included for the sake of completeness! I'm blown away by getting a wealth of brand new and unheard outakes from songs like:Three Corn Patches,I miss you,Find out whats Happening,Girl of Mine,For Ol' Times sake and If you don't come back!!! thats around 30 UNRELEASED full takes, part takes and False Starts!!! how on earth can ANYONE complain about this?? Ernst simply COULDN'T HAVE released a better package. As for getting the 'bonus' of the 4 instrumental tracks (of which only sweet angeline ever got a vocal from Elvis) this is just the attention to completeness and appreciation of Ernst and Rodgers work that makes me such an Elvis Fan! Why i only heard these instrumental tracks ONCE only quite a few years ago from a friend who had cleaned them up from Acetates....and he wouldn't let me hear them again!!! now nearly 5 years later i can ENJOY them as much as i like!! and don't think just because Elvis doesn't sing on them that they arn't of interest-NO FAR FROM IT! Colour my rainbow has nice vocals from the sweets and so does Good,bad but beautiful...and The Wonders you Perfom builds to a moving climax of 'religious' type ending. NO this to me is a truly inspiration and COMPLETE release...i hope word of mouth spreads about this and it becomes one of the best selling FTD's of all time! As for Easy Come ,Easy Go... -even if they are recently 'found; stereo masters' i still cannot bring myself to even admit to listening to this crap!!!! :roll:

Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:53 am

YDKM wrote::o This is truly Phenominal 'NEWS' for weeks i had been fearful that 'Raised on Rock' might dissapoint and that was why the track-listing was NOT released! Now all i could do today was order this superb FTD Immediately and praise up the really COMPLETE releases we have now had from these July and September 1973 sessions.Of cource with the song 'Just a Little Bit' with only take 2 the master and take 1 a false start we couldn't get any outakes of that and Ernst said in an interview YEARS ago about how he had no outakes of 'Raised on Rock' thus on this release we have PLENTY to get excited about! many outakes here we already had on 'made in memphis' + 'Essential Elvis Vol 5' but then they HAD to be included for the sake of completeness! I'm blown away by getting a wealth of brand new and unheard outakes from songs like:Three Corn Patches,I miss you,Find out whats Happening,Girl of Mine,For Ol' Times sake and If you don't come back!!! thats around 30 UNRELEASED full takes, part takes and False Starts!!! how on earth can ANYONE complain about this?? Ernst simply COULDN'T HAVE released a better package. As for getting the 'bonus' of the 4 instrumental tracks (of which only sweet angeline ever got a vocal from Elvis) this is just the attention to completeness and appreciation of Ernst and Rodgers work that makes me such an Elvis Fan! Why i only heard these instrumental tracks ONCE only quite a few years ago from a friend who had cleaned them up from Acetates....and he wouldn't let me hear them again!!! now nearly 5 years later i can ENJOY them as much as i like!! and don't think just because Elvis doesn't sing on them that they arn't of interest-NO FAR FROM IT! Colour my rainbow has nice vocals from the sweets and so does Good,bad but beautiful...and The Wonders you Perfom builds to a moving climax of 'religious' type ending. NO this to me is a truly inspiration and COMPLETE release...i hope word of mouth spreads about this and it becomes one of the best selling FTD's of all time! As for Easy Come ,Easy Go... -even if they are recently 'found; stereo masters' i still cannot bring myself to even admit to listening to this crap!!!! :roll:

what exactly would a dissapointing track listing look like to you?

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:51 am

YDKM wrote:: I'm blown away by getting a wealth of brand new and unheard outakes from songs like:Three Corn Patches,:

Yes indeed. The whole wide world has been lusting after Three Corn Patches outtakes.

Now I can die happy :D

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:20 am

I'm surprised that no one has noticed the track listing error on Raised On Rock ;-

CD 1
track 20

Find Out What's Happening (takes 8, 7)

CD 2
track 15

I'm assuming a typing error when listed on the net, perhaps someone with the actual cd's can tell us what these 2 tracks are ?

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:57 am

:o Very astute observation Ray! once it arrives and i play it i'll know then won't I?
Kylan a dissapointing track list would have missed out many of the unheard outakes(we ARE now getting) and/or missed off the instrumental tracks
I agree KiwiAlan that 3 corn patches sucks :? :wink: BIG TIME but having the outakes HERE as opposed to NOT having them is MOST welcome, besides ONLY the outakes from 'Easy Come, Easy Go will be more painful to cringe through than 3 Corn Patches :roll:

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:16 am

I can't wait to get my hands on these and get those headphones on :!:

I can easily see that these next batch of FTD's are going to be a mainstay in my player for awhile.

What I find most interesting about the tracklisting on the RAISED ON ROCK set is these "Rough Mixes".

Can anybody elaborate on these mixes a bit ?

How is the sonic quality, and how does it compare to previous issues of the original Lp and cd/s ?

I keep checking back with shopelvis and they are telling me my order most likely will not arrive till or around the 27th of July ...

Shucks ... :evil:

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:33 am

minkahed wrote:What I find most interesting about the tracklisting on the RAISED ON ROCK set is these "Rough Mixes".

How is the sonic quality, and how does it compare to previous issues of the original Lp and cd/s ?

Some of these rough mixes from the 1973 sessions have actually been released before and can be found on the "From Louisiana to Tennessee" bootleg (released in 1997):

Help Me (Undubbed master)
My Boy (Undubbed master)
Loving Arms (Undubbed master)
It's Midnight (Undubbed master)
If You Talk In Your Sleep (Undubbed master)
Thinking About You (Undubbed master)
Good Times Charlie's Got The Blues (Undubbed master)
Talk About The Good Times (Undubbed master)
Girl Of Mine (Undubbed master)

I expect the quality to be similar, rough unpolished mixes without the overdubs, just giving a basic idea of the song.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:36 am

Ray wrote:I'm surprised that no one has noticed the track listing error on Raised On Rock ;-

CD 1
track 20

CD 2
track 15

I'm assuming a typing error when listed on the net, perhaps someone with the actual cd's can tell us what these 2 tracks are ?

The cover says that the first one is a composite.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:40 am

thenexte wrote:
minkahed wrote:What I find most interesting about the tracklisting on the RAISED ON ROCK set is these "Rough Mixes".

Some of these rough mixes from the 1973 sessions have actually been released before and can be found on the "From Louisiana to Tennessee" bootleg (released in 1997):

My Boy (Undubbed master)

I expect the quality to be similar, rough unpolished mixes without the overdubs, just giving a basic idea of the song.

Thanks thenexte.

I have that disc and I gotta say that I always thought those "rough mixes" sounded pretty good, much more "punchy" as opposed to the more compressed and flat sound on the original album/s.

With the supposed good remastering put into this project, I would assume the sound will be even more brilliant than what came before.

July 27th can't get here soon enuff ...

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:42 am

minkahed wrote:
thenexte wrote:

My Boy (Undubbed master)

Thanks thenexte.

I have that disc and I gotta say that I always thought those "rough mixes" sounded pretty good, much more "punchy" as opposed to the more compressed and flat sound on the original album/s.

With the supposed good remastering put into this project, I would assume the sonic potential will be of even greater heights and more brilliant than what came before.

July 27th can't get here soon enuff ...

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:49 am

Marko wrote:The cover says that the first one is a composite.

Right. Now I only need to know what a composite is...

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:54 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:

Keith Richards, Jr.

I'm guessing it's a posh word for a splice.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:55 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:

Keith Richards, Jr.

I haven't heard the cd but I'm presuming that both of those takes are incomplete. Composite means that they are edited together for a full performance. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:27 am

minkahed wrote:I can't wait to get my hands on these and get those headphones on :!:

I can easily see that these next batch of FTD's are going to be a mainstay in my player for awhile.

What I find most interesting about the tracklisting on the RAISED ON ROCK set is these "Rough Mixes".

I keep checking back with shopelvis and they are telling me my order most likely will not arrive till or around the 27th of July ...

Shucks ... :evil:

remember the rough mix of "Hell have to go" on jungle room sessions ftd?
The rough mixes on this release sounds VERY similar to the masters except that many of the songs are extended and Elvis can in some cases be heard on instrumental parts in background.
All backup singers are here too......
Liked the session mixes on Today much better as they were quite Different.....just my opinion though.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:14 pm

Track 20 on CD 1, "Find out What’s Happening" (takes 8, 7 composite) runs for 3:13, while track 15 on CD 2, "Find out What’s Happening" (takes 8, 7) has a running time of 5:22.

Track 11 on CD 1, "I Miss You" (takes 10, 11 composite) runs for 2:18, while track 13 on CD 2, "I Miss You" (take 10) has a running time of 2:22.

Per

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:54 pm

YDKM wrote:............besides ONLY the outakes from 'Easy Come, Easy Go will be more painful to cringe through than 3 Corn Patches :roll:

I seriously disagree with that statement; IMHO Three Corn Patches has to be one of the all time worst songs Elvis ever recorded except for "Hey, Hey, Hey" from Clambake. I wish Elvis had never put a vocal to ".....Patches" and had instead put his vocal on one of the other three that he didn't.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:55 pm

the lucky ones who already have the cds could tell us something more about them, i.e. about the alternates of I'm leavin', love me love the life, early morning rain, etc!

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:08 pm

I think "Three Corn Patches" is a cool song. Just listen to the lyrics.

"… lives the prettiest girl in the whole of US, I said A. She’s got big brown eyes, long black wavy hair … Well, I’ve been to Chicago, been to New Orleans … She keeps a big bulldog out in the yard all night. While he barks like his bad, oh but he don’t bite."

Great, bluesy stuff right there.

Per

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:10 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

frus75 wrote:the lucky ones who already have the cds could tell us something more about them, i.e. about the alternates of I'm leavin', love me love the life, early morning rain, etc!

Yes, exactly. What about Leave My Woman Alone :?: :roll:. Bye for now :wink:.

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva ,viva el amor!!.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Instrumental separation is amazing on Easy Come, Easy Go. The newly found stereo tape really shines. As for the musical contents, the title track ain’t half bad, and both "She’s a Machine" and "The Love Machine" are really cool. These songs sure didn’t sound this good before.

Per

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:50 pm

Hello!! :D :D :D.

thekingisalive wrote:Instrumental separation is amazing on Easy Come, Easy Go. The newly found stereo tape really shines. As for the musical contents, the title track ain’t half bad, and both "She’s a Machine" and "The Love Machine" are really cool. These songs sure didn’t sound this good before.

Per

Thank you!!. Bye for now :wink:.

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.