Memphis Recording Service

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

kuenzer

Post by kuenzer »

PiersEIN wrote:I think we all know that there has been more that enough cases of "unfair bias" against JP already on this very MB and that has obviously made him angry since he has never had a chance to answer them for himself.
He could have created an account an entered the discussion. Couldn't he?

Little Darlin
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

kuenzer wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:I think we all know that there has been more that enough cases of "unfair bias" against JP already on this very MB and that has obviously made him angry since he has never had a chance to answer them for himself.
I am glad you asked that question. I was thinking the same thing myself.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Last edited by Mike S on Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garry100

Post by garry100 »

To kuenzer and Little Darlin

JP did post several times on this very messageboard some time ago so perphaps his account is still active.

Never say never

sam

Post by sam »

Surely JP can have his point of view. I don't think interviews should be edited.
Ol' Kev gets a good rap more often than not!!! :wink:

8)

sam

Post by sam »

Little Darlin wrote:
kuenzer wrote:
I am glad you asked that question. I was thinking the same thing myself.
Have you been here long enough to know what it's like going up against the Doc.? You can't win...or you get deleted!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

:lol:

deadringer

Post by deadringer »

Rock Legend wrote:There are reliable reports in circulation about e-mails that he reportedly sent to Ernst, threatening with bodily harm. If true, this would be very serious indeed. It will be interesting to see whether Pirzada will address these allegations in vol. 2 of the interview.
Let me state here that I LIKE MRS 1,2 and TUPELO'S OWN projects. But at the same moment I do not think that this rather offensive interview is any good. It is very clear that Pirzada opened the fire and that there's a battle between him and EMJ now. I was always rather critical to EMJ but I realize WHAT he is doing for fans in last 15-20 years. It's an AWFUL LOT OF WORK and without him Elvis World will be not a little bit so exciting as it is.

Also in the interview there was a lot of technical bullshit. I am working with the sound for more than 10 years now and I can say right here that some things that Pirzada stated as FACTS are at least debatable.

Also I am known to disagree with DJC many times but I wonder why Pirzada used so big part of his interview to discuss DJC? Something personal I guess.

kuenzer

Post by kuenzer »

garry100 wrote:To kuenzer and Little Darlin

JP did post several times on this very messageboard some time ago so perphaps his account is still active.
This actually seems to be the case. Here aretwo remarkable threads.

So he didn't seem to be interested in entering the discussion at the time MRS I+II appeared. Now he apparently is. How well did MRS II sell?
Last edited by kuenzer on Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Keith F

Post by Keith F »

sam wrote:Have you been here long enough to know what it's like going up against the Doc.? You can't win...or you get deleted!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

:wink:

Will

Post by Will »

I gather the Doc is not on this guys xmas list lol...................MRS......keep them comin'.............Tupelo will prove to be the best release of this year for sure.

Topic author
Keith F

Post by Keith F »

tcb1 wrote:As with most interviews they are always one sided, and that’s on the side of the interviewee, as they are always going to bum them selves up. But one of the things that seem to have been missed out in this fascinating interview is the picture quality of Tupelo 56 footages.

i.e why did they put an overlay over the picture to give it an old film look?
If they haven’t done that then they have lied as the footage used is not from FOX, as every other clip of footage I have seen from this Tupelo show is crystal clear, perhaps Joseph Pirzada, can explain the big difference in picture quality..

I noticed this straight away upon watching it as was very disappointed, and have mentioned it to a few others some never noticed, some like me can’t figure out why this would be done?
Except maybe to re-release it later in perfect picture quality, and skim more money off us fans if this is the case, Joseph Pirzada should be shot!

Either way someone has been a little economical with the truth..
The answer is quite simple - The footage Joseph Pirzada acquired from FOX was not complete!

When I say not complete, I mean it had the bits and pieces that were used for the Newsreels physically cut out - These bits and pieces have been copied and preserved over the years so those bits will be crystal clear!

The remaining footage that was not originally used for the Newsreels has been sitting in a vault at FOX for 50 years gathering dust and deteriorating. That is why there is a difference in quality when you watch the complete footage as presented on "Tupelo's Own" because it had to be pieced back together!

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

I give the ever-fair Piers credit for publishing what is sure to be a controversial interview. I thought Piers did not tip-toe around some of the controversies surrounding his J. P's work and kept a neutral but informed tone.

There's a few places where a follow-up or two might have been in order, but it's better in many cases to just move on and give the man a hearing. (Piers has always shown an interest in interviewing even somewhat "out there" sorts in the Elvis world, as well as regularly interviewing the likes of Kevin Budd, etc.)

I think the interview raises some interesting points, as I was one who was in fact impressed with MRS (it was much better than I was led to believe) and have plans to get the MRS II and of course, the much-acclaimed "Tupelo's Own" DVD. (For the record, I recall that the latter recently nearly-universal acclaim, even from some of the alleged enemies" of the man...I ran a banner advertising it here for weeks with no "delete" funny-stuff, either.)

That said, I like a good controversy as long as we keep it in bounds. I think the Elvis world is better with a little competition, as JP tries to argue. I also don't think he said anything particularly revealing to anyone who's ever been seriously paying attention or knows how to connect dots.

But in fairness to what Mike S. and Deadringer write, there is certain unbecoming arrogance and swagger (beyond anything even seen here) that seems a bit much.

Ernst and Kevan seem to be in the bull's eye far more than is warrented, especially in a climate with "Tupelo's Own' getting reams of great notices here and elsewhere. Perhaps there is some score settling here (after all, we've heard little from the man), but given the money being thrown around for this "hobby," it seems a bit childish to get too "High School" about it.

None of us "own" Elvis and I've never gotten that impression from Kevan or Ernst. The latter may have a "care-taker" attitude, couple with a "zip it" for Sony/BMG business reasons code, but he's never come off as anything but the biggest cheerleader for understanding and championing Elvis Presley in an intelligent manner, something we're all grateful for, the sorry state of the main BMG catalog of late notwithstanding.

That may seem pat at this point, but it's a sincere point that Ernst should not be bashed this way, nor anyone else. I don't get the venom. A lot of us wish (and arguably could) have been in Ernst's place if our cards were luckier, but in effect, he's our representative and fine one at that, given the corporate strictures, etc.

I would hope that the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Frank Sinatra, or Miles Davis have similar "Resident-Fan-In-Residence" who also preside over their musical legacy, but I rather doubt there's many more of his commitment. The tone of the JP interview seems as if he's trying to take him down a notch, particularly the jab at the time he's investing in the Sun Box. Maybe he's not gotten a forum before but I just don't see it as appropriate and I say that as someone who enjoys the "upstart" work of JP.

As all of the principals mentioned in the interview are largely under-credited heroes of the official and unofficial Elvis music world for what they've all contributed (credited and otherwise), I say let's lower the volume a bit but continue to keep the Elvis world interesting. Because when you break it down, it's a little comical to have a bunch of uniformly-obsessive Elvis fans taking up separate "camps" as has existed for some time. To the degree that it puts better product out there, however, all the better. Just "play nice." :lol:

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

deadringer

Post by deadringer »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote: The tone of the JP interview seems as if he's trying to take him down a notch, particularly the jab at the time he's investing in the Sun Box.
MORE than a notch.

Topic author
Keith F

Post by Keith F »

tcb1 wrote:Never said it was complete?

But the fact is it has been altered with an overlay, look closely at the DVD the dust and scratches on the screen are too perfect, and continuous, then go and look an old piece of footage that has deteriorated over the years, you'll see there is no pattern to the dust and scratches, because it is random. I have done this to video footage to make it look older than it is, just for fun, that’s why I picked up on it straight away.

Sorry your story just doesn’t stand up.
I'm sorry my story doesn't stand up but these are the facts as explained to me by the producers when I noticed the exact same thing, and asked them the same questions you are asking now!

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

TCB1 wrote: But the fact is it has been altered with an overlay, look closely at the DVD the dust and scratches on the screen are too perfect, and continuous, then go and look an old piece of footage that has deteriorated over the years, you'll see there is no pattern to the dust and scratches, because it is random. I have done this to video footage to make it look older than it is, just for fun, that’s why I picked up on it straight away.

I understand what mean. I have been a collector of amatuer home movies for years and I know what you mean by scratches that seem to be in a pattern. Also, check out some of the footage on the "cool clips' video. It has a weird pattern that looks like mini trees or branches on the film, that I have never seen before on old footage. And it looks like a pattern. I was thinking the same thing as you, if they put it on there on purpose to later say they cleaned it up and try to re-sell it. I can't prove anything, but i have never seen footage with wear on it with any kind of pattern as that is seen on some of this ELvis stuff. All I can say is, if I noticed it, and thought it was weird, and you do to, there must be something going on. Film that sits there in a vault for years, should have little wear if it was stored properly. I have seen 60 year old 8mm film in near perfect shape, and usually the old film I find is in much better quality that usually comes out on ELvis. You don't see any of this weird surface crap on the Magnolia garden footage or the lubbuck footage do you?. and It was just stored in someone's bedroom or attic and its excellant.

elvissessions

Post by elvissessions »

Here's a weird little aside, and I offer it up for a little of my own fly-on-the-wall behind-the-scenes context.

At a recent Elvis Week, in one of the EPE shops at Graceland Crossing, I saw Stanley Oberst and another man perusing the shelves.

Stanley's a fellow Texan, and I'd talked to him a couple of times the year before. I was going to go up to him and reintroduce myself and try to open a conversation with him on the Sun project, his book sales, etc.

Instead, I found myself eavesdropping on this "other man" -- whom I did not recognize.

Now, Stanley was a little put out himself because of the way his book wasn't on display (it was, by the way, in other shops, but this shop had a large CD and book display, and should have been a perfect home for his work.) Another day, I saw him buttonholing an EPE employee, and I think he was giving him a piece of his mind on that subject.

But that night I was absolutely fascinated -- and repelled -- by this other man, whoever he was.

I'll confess eavesdropping isn't the politest thing in the world, but it's practically a sport at Elvis Week as you try to close in on anyone from the Elvis world -- EPE, RCA/BMG or otherwise -- to see what tidbits you might glean along the way. Anyway, I was standing there in plain view next to them, so it's not as though I were hiding in the bushes with a microphone.

This guy was truly one of the nastiest people I've ever run across -- and I couldn't believe that Stanley, a guy I'd found to be quite charming was even hanging around him.

The things this guy had to say about Elvis fans in general, the folks at Elvis Week, BMG/RCA, Ernst, frankly every subject he brought up was so over the top, so viciously unkind, so petty, it was just unbelievable.

Sure, we all say things we regret and we all get carried away, but this steady stream of meanness was so unbelievable that I wondered for so long who -- what -- this guy was and actually was afraid it was going to turn out to be somebody I'd hoped to like.

Here's a guy, he's not upset, he's got no specific gripe, he's just running down everybody and everything that crosses his mind. In probably a half-hour of on-again, off-again talking on his part and listening on my part as I shopped the shelves, I did not hear one remark to which I wouldn't attach the words "cruel" or "ugly." And none of this was coming from someone in the heat of the moment; this was just ongoing casual commentary on all the inadequate people and things around him.

It wasn't until months later that I ran across a photo online of Joseph Pirzada posing with a fan and realized it was him. He's a pretty distinctive-looking guy, so instantly I recognized him.

Now, why do I bring this up when I never have before? First, let me say I own the MRS projects and I appreciate any new contributions to Elvis recordings and research. I won't fault his work. I bring this up as a bit of eyewitness context -- that the things that may seem carefully considered and semi-gracious in this interview, I believe, actually are drawn from a deep well of contempt.

Are the folks he talks about better? I certainly hope so, but I don't know. They may be pretty unpleasant folks, too. (Well, not Ernst, I've been eavesdropping on him for years -- look out, Ernst -- and he's a genuinely decent guy, though perhaps a little weary of some lines of inquiry after so long.) But I do think folks ought to know when somebody's throwing comments around like Pirzada's in this interview, what personality type is involved.

Joseph, if you're reading this, and I caught you in the worst half-hour to 45 minutes of your life, then perhaps I need to soften my commentary. But if your behavior in that shop doesn't stand out to you or if it seemed appropriate and fair, then I think you should be a little more honest about how despicable you apparently find virtually everything and everyone in the Elvis world. It might give a little more context for your comments.
Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Purple Gang

Post by The Purple Gang »

Part two of the interview promises to focus on 'Tupelo's Own' so some questions about the film footage may be answered then.

Topic author
Barry

EP

Post by Barry »

All very interesting reading, aside from all, if anyone does have unissued outtakes, alternate takes, etc, etc, quite sure Ernst, Sony/BMG would love to hear from you, and actually hear what you have.

Topic author
Jth

Post by Jth »

The Purple Gang wrote:Part two of the interview promises to focus on 'Tupelo's Own' so some questions about the film footage may be answered then.
Speaking about the "Tupelo's Own" - can anyone scan a page or two from the book? What is featured in the book, besides the 'first' contract Elvis made and some new or at least rare photos. Is the book worth getting?

kuenzer

Post by kuenzer »

Jth wrote:
The Purple Gang wrote:Part two of the interview promises to focus on 'Tupelo's Own' so some questions about the film footage may be answered then.
Speaking about the "Tupelo's Own" - can anyone scan a page or two from the book? What is featured in the book, besides the 'first' contract Elvis made and some new or at least rare photos. Is the book worth getting?
I'm not an expert on the photos, which I found interesting. The text wasn't too exciting, though, and somewhat sloppily edited.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:lol: This is 'great' after more than a year of boring threads we finally have an 'interesting' thread! :roll: and Kieth loved that Cyberman picture i'm a great FAN of Dr.Who! :wink:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Topic author
Lew Nyack

Post by Lew Nyack »

Fantastic interview, EIN.

I for one will refrain from any criticism until I have read the complete interview, ie Part 2.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

"Elvissessions," given your reputation here (in your very charitable "you can't make this stuff up" way), you've confirmed for me at least that the challenger indeed has a true axe to grind.

It's hard to miss the self-satisfied, thinly-veiled contempt, and I say that as one who like many here, is not a partisan.

May his work continue to intrigue us and challenge FTD and Ernst, et. al, (and there's plenty of evidence of that) ,but I'm inclined to believe that his passion to be the best of the best can descend into the cheap shots evidenced in "Part 1" of the interview.

Let's hope that the promised "Part 2" rises to a higher level of critique. All that said, I think most of us are keen on having the best and most faithful Elvis recordings, be they official, public domain imports, or otherwise.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

"Elvissessions," given your reputation here (in your very charitable "you can't make this stuff up" way), you've confirmed for me at least that the challenger indeed has a true axe to grind.
Most, if not all, hard-core Elvis collectors are passionate people who have strong opinions (LOL).
At times I have heard JP get angry about another Elvis product or person - but at the same time he has personally apologised to me about previous heat-of-the-moment comments he wished he hadn't made. I am not however apologising for him, as he does state what he feels. Hopefully elvissessions you just overheard him on bad day

Part 2 of the interview was supposed to be more about the Tupelo project and how he found the film, his future projects etc - and away from the personal side of things.

Nigel & I however are happy to pass on your questions some of which are obvious from the above postings.
I don't think Part 2 will run until after Elvis Week as we have so much to do with the Tour organisation, Fan Club newsletters etc, plus JP is very busy himself.

So please post your questions here on this fine MB, or click "Comment about the interview" at the bottom of JP's interview on EIN.

Nigel is away but will update the interview with fan feedback on Wednesday.

Cheers
Piers

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

From the interview:-

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Put simply, MRS has the best sourced tracks on the market today. As for the future, I have to clean up the arguable mess Kevan Budd has made to the 50’s master recordings on FTD.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The only way to take this means that he has been waiting for the 50 year rule to take effect before plagarising Elvis RCA output!

In terms of "better sources"...do they belong in your local record store?

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete